Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

boner confessor posted:

i can see this for fashion and people who buy and sell a high volume of clothes yearly but i dunno how well this would work for like, cheapo work slacks

I tried doing this a couple times and it's a huge pain in the rear end, and I went back to B&M stores. I have a few "work clothes" standards that I buy from Amazon because I know my size (e.g. Carhartt work shirts) and it's OK if they don't fit quite right, but that's about it. Even buying jeans it's ridiculous, because I've gotten defective or mis-sized Levi's and had to return them. I'll spend the extra 10 minutes and $5-10 once a year to drive to Kohl's and just buy the drat things without screwing around.

My wife tries buy online/return, although she's started to ditch the idea since the clothes aren't often what was expected, and shipping the stuff back is annoying. I highly doubt online clothes buying will ever really replace storefronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sundae posted:

To this day, I still don't understand why the mall near me back in late high school had three GameStops.

Wasn't it because GameStop bought up Electronics Boutique and several other regional/national video game store chains?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wasn't it because GameStop bought up Electronics Boutique and several other regional/national video game store chains?

Yeah they consolidated tons of stores to one chain but kept operating multiple stores in pretty close proximity for years after.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In Springfield, OH there were FOUR gamestop stores within two miles at one point. One at the Upper Valley Mall, one across the street at a dead stripmall (that still had a Kmart at the time,) one in a shopping plaza next to a Walmart, and one further down the road near the construction site of a Super Walmart.

It was the strangest thing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I buy multiple sizes (and sometimes styles) and then return some every time I buy shoes/boots online, which is the primary way I buy shoes/boots. So does my mother and her mother, my former roommates, etc. I think it's relatively commonplace. :shrug:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

Yeah they consolidated tons of stores to one chain but kept operating multiple stores in pretty close proximity for years after.

Yeah that's the part I don't get. With the exception of the Used Games section, literally everything in every store was identical, from pricing to inventory to new release availability to [etc etc]. Okay, you bought up all the chains and consolidated them.... now close down the other two and stop paying three times the goddamned rent for no added benefit to customers or company!

Meh - I just went there for the used PC games section.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

fishmech posted:

God, that was funny. There was an area here where there was one in the mall, one across the street to the east of the mall, one just across the street from that, and one more a quarter mile from the mall to the west.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Sundae posted:

Yeah that's the part I don't get. With the exception of the Used Games section, literally everything in every store was identical, from pricing to inventory to new release availability to [etc etc]. Okay, you bought up all the chains and consolidated them.... now close down the other two and stop paying three times the goddamned rent for no added benefit to customers or company!

Back in the day when my friend went to gamestop to get the latest stuff we often ended up going to all of the different ones because their inventory was different. These were usually for harder to get (for who knows what reason) games tho.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, I have no idea how awful Prime shipping is outside the US (and I assume it's fine in western Europe as well thanks to population density?)
Prime shipping speed has been better for me in Munich than the bay area. Selection on Amazon is substantially worse though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

go to a tailor and get your measurements, amazon lets you filter clothes by these measurements so hopefully buying clothes isn't a crapshoot anymore since every brand had retarded ideas on what a medium and large is

It's still a crapshoot because many manufacturers don't provide actual measurements to Amazon, so they use their general sizing chart that's not accurate to any brand at all. It's fine if you're willing to go with an approximate fit, or order multiple sizes and see which one works, but if you're an odd size at all it's essentially random.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/11/08/sears-losses/843320001/

Sears has received permission from the US pension board to sell another 140 stores to help fund its pension obligations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sundae posted:

I think honestly the thing is, most of the stores were independently profitable and tied into long term leases. So why not let the other 4 close by keep going until the material conditions change? At a certain point there was a wave of closing GameStop stores but that was largely dead weight.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WrenP-Complete posted:

I buy multiple sizes (and sometimes styles) and then return some every time I buy shoes/boots online, which is the primary way I buy shoes/boots. So does my mother and her mother, my former roommates, etc. I think it's relatively commonplace. :shrug:

Yep, this is how my wife buys all clothes. I buy shoes this way too because I float between sizes depending on make, so I might as well just get both and return whichever one doesn't fit. You just float it on the credit card, the turnaround time is shorter than the billing cycle.

Horseshoe theory posted:

In the UK it was GAME that bought Electronics Boutique (I can't remember if this was different companies buying the regional subs or if GAME and Gamestop are related at all) and for years my home city had two GAMEs in like 300ft of each other. There was a Gamestation to complete the triangle too. All the staff there were really smug about working for a proper game shop until GAME bought them out too, which meant there were 3 GAMEs in a triangle that took under 5 minutes to walk.

I think two of them have gone and the one which used to be an EB is the only one that remains. At least one is now a coffee shop, as will all retail units by 2020.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Horseshoe theory posted:

Sort of. The original GameStop was a wholly owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble. B&N acquired Babbages and Funco and merged the two into Gamestop. They eventually spun off the business into an independent operation and then Gamestop bought EB Games and some other smaller chains.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Presto posted:

Yeah this wouldn't be a pain in the rear end at all.

There are lots of companies that will do this now for you. You just drop whatever items you don't like off at the store and they take care of all the hassle for you. ie:

https://www.happyreturns.com/

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. How much money do you have that you can just order three of everything? If I want a shirt that costs $20 I'm not paying a loving $40 security deposit.

Unless someone is buying $500 jackets its pretty reasonable to buy multiple sizes of something. Most adults with jobs can afford to spend $40 to get it refunded a week later.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"How can we possibly shop for clothes online with sizes being weird!" seems like the most solvable problem possible. It seems like it'd be really insane for any retailer to bank on that being true in any sort of long term.

Like even if some sort of laser scan, iphone app or ship 3 and mail 2 back scheme is forever unworkable it just hinges on praying that for the rest of time fashion never turns to anything baggy or loose fitting ever again where sizing matters less. Like stores shouldn't count on some mainstream version of pants sagging never being a thing again as a long term business model.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

EB Games down under sells more game themed merchandise than actual games at this point. Plus hardware accessories.

Plastic doodads and blind box Funko pops and Zelda lanyards have a way better markup, so the tireless march from video game retailer to "branded plastic poo poo" retailer continues, until all retail stores are just Hot Topic without the clothes

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

OhFunny posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/11/08/sears-losses/843320001/

Sears has received permission from the US pension board to sell another 140 stores to help fund its pension obligations.

From the article, I couldn't tell what "sell the stores" means, like just selling off the physical locations? It mentioned being able to release them.

It doesn't seem like the best long term strategy, selling stores and then paying to lease them.

But the market for retail lots must be really weak right now.

I am reestimating Sears time to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy as... February 1st, 2018.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Blut posted:

There are lots of companies that will do this now for you. You just drop whatever items you don't like off at the store and they take care of all the hassle for you. ie:

https://www.happyreturns.com/

Or I could just go to the store and find the right size/style. :shrug:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

glowing-fish posted:

From the article, I couldn't tell what "sell the stores" means, like just selling off the physical locations? It mentioned being able to release them.

It doesn't seem like the best long term strategy, selling stores and then paying to lease them.

But the market for retail lots must be really weak right now.

I am reestimating Sears time to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy as... February 1st, 2018.

Selling assets and then leasing them back is p. common in lots of sectors, it's routine enough to have a standard accounting treatment that just got updated in the standards.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Presto posted:

Or I could just go to the store and find the right size/style. :shrug:

Theres often a better selection, at better prices, online for a lot of items though.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Blut posted:

Theres often a better selection, at better prices, online for a lot of items though.

The "better prices" are generally because you're making a trade-off for the time, hassle, and guesswork of trying to find the right fit and quality of material remotely, and committing to making a bunch of returns and poo poo. When I used to try that, half the time I was just like, "eh, it's good enough, I don't want to bother with the return process", and ended up regretting a mediocre purchase. If you've got yourself zeroed in on size, and trust the quality of what you're buying, then go for it. Like I said before, I do this with a few select types of clothing that I know will work. But otherwise, give me a retail location where i can spend 30 minutes figuring stuff out, instead of twice that amount of time in guesswork and frustration spread out over a week or more to save a few bucks.

Also, some decent retail locations offer some perks if you buy from a B&M store. For example, if you buy Red Wing boots from a retail location, they offer a 30 day, no questions asked comfort guarantee, even if they've been worn. Good luck getting that from Zappos or wherever.

EDIT:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"How can we possibly shop for clothes online with sizes being weird!" seems like the most solvable problem possible.

I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that clothing sizes being non-standard is a very solvable problem? That's kind of insane, given that folks often have relatively different body shapes if you're looking for decently fitting clothing. There's no industry standard for sizing, which I've found makes it intensely difficult to anticipate how something will fit without actually wearing it or working one-on-one with the retailer. Even belts, which are probably the simplest item to measure given that it a strip of leather with a given length, have wild differences in actual sizes. A 34" belt from one manufacturer/brand can be several inches off from another. It's nuts.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 9, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that clothing sizes being non-standard is a very solvable problem? That's kind of insane, given that folks often have relatively different body shapes if you're looking for decently fitting clothing. There's no industry standard for sizing, which I've found makes it intensely difficult to anticipate how something will fit without actually wearing it or working one-on-one with the retailer. Even belts, which are probably the simplest item to measure given that it a strip of leather with a given length, have wild differences in actual sizes. A 34" belt from one manufacturer/brand can be several inches off from another. It's nuts.

Like, it's an issue that no store should hang it's continued existence on. Like some store can't look at their 50 year plan and look at that and say "it's fine, we are safe forever".

Like because of sci-fi reasons like someone will use the depth camera in some future iphone to custom tailor your clothes in ten years. To just organizational like the guy getting three shirts mailed to him and mailing 2 back. To just fashion trends of not every type of clothing needs an exact fit and if everyone is wearing togas and sagging rapper pants in 2045 then the store that counted on online never beating them because they will always be the local choice for fittings will just look and go "oh, well, we are hosed now".

Like right now it's better to get sizing from a local place but there is 30 different ways that could go from all sorts of directions and no store should just rest on that being eternally true even if it's true today and tomorrow. Someone is gonna solve that problem or someone is going to make it not a problem.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blut posted:

Most adults with jobs can afford to spend $40 to get it refunded a week later.

tfw you accidentally let slip how bougie you are "anyone can afford to hire a maid it's only a few hundred dollars a month"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

tfw you accidentally let slip how bougie you are "anyone can afford to hire a maid it's only a few hundred dollars a month"

Isn't the concept of having fitted clothes itself bougie.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't the concept of having fitted clothes itself bougie.

boner confessor posted:

Yes.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

learn how to sew :smug:

e: because then you can make anything fit

snoo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 9, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
til this thread is full of the snobby yuppies from High Hopes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYlK02wXCdQ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

Apparently having access to the princely sum of $40 is bougie now.

Do you really not get the difference between 40 and a few hundred? Did you miss that day in 1st grade when they explained numbers?

e: VVV of course, no one said otherwise. But calling people bougie for being able to order two shirts from Land's End is a hell of a stretch.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 9, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Not all people have the means to order more than one size of shoes online just to find out which pair will fit and return the others for a refund.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Returning one thing is already a huge pain in the rear end, I don't want to double the aggravation.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They have size charts, comparisons to other sizes, and even recommendations from other customers that say true to size, fits big, fits small, and the degree to which people feel it is off.

I seriously think everyone here just threw up their hands and said "that sounds hard!" rather than trying to order any sort of clothes online.

Edit: lmao they put a return label in the box or bag half the time, you can't fill out an online form and tape something shut?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

Not all people have the means to order more than one size of shoes online just to find out which pair will fit and return the others for a refund.

La-de-da fancy fitted shoe man here, real poor people get "medium" shoes from walmart and buy their kids ages 5-7 shoes that have no specific sizing. Mr fancy here driving to a store to get his kings feet in brand named sized shoes.

(seriously most of america still isn't living in extreme poverty and it's fine to talk about people spending 40 dollars on shoes in terms of retail)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Returning merchandise isn't hard, but you need to drop off the package for shipping. That can be a complete pain in the rear end for someone that can't leave their job or home easily to take it to the post office or UPS when they're open.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Returning poo poo is a pain if you don't have a car, too, especially if you don't live in an area where you can safely leave something to be picked up, and that's not a situation of "extreme poverty" (lmao).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

Returning merchandise isn't hard, but you need to drop off the package for shipping. That can be a complete pain in the rear end for someone that can't leave their job or home easily to take it to the post office or UPS when they're open.

The exact same argument can be made for how hard it is to go to a store. Either way, you're going to a place.

Y'all are really stretching hard to make the idea of "order multiple sizes and return the ones that don't fit" seem bougie or weird or whatever the gently caress you want to call it. Tons of people have done and are currently doing this thing.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Returning poo poo is a pain if you don't have a car, too, especially if you don't live in an area where you can safely leave something to be picked up, and that's not a situation of "extreme poverty" (lmao).

Again, going to a store is hard too if you don't have a car.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Then you can't drive to a store either!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
The bourgeois grow up thinking of the retail environment, in whatever form, as something that is there to serve them. It is a place that they feel comfortable in, because they are specifically made to feel comfortable there.

Which is why they downplay any difficulties to it, because they don't see those difficulties as systemic. You bought the wrong thing? Just ask the salesperson to have it exchanged!

If you have experience with being unwelcome in retail, whether that is being followed in a store, having cashiers treat you rudely, having it assumed that a return is some type of scam and needing to provide proof of purchase, then you approach the experience as systemically difficult, online or offline. How do we know that they will honor your return? You don't. You are wary of what you don't know. There are always pitfalls.

If you grew up in the type of comfort where you can buy shoes at Nordstroms, wear them for a week, and return them because they don't feel right, and the salespeople will act like they are honored to be speaking to you, people who are wary seem irrational.
If you grow up in the type of atmosphere where your local pharmacy post signs "WE PROSECUTE ALL SHOPLIFTERS" "YOU MUST PAY FOR DRINKS BEFORE OPENING" "5 DOLLAR MINIMUM DEBIT CARD TRANSACTIONS NO EXCEPTIONS", then you approach retail as if it is the lava game...you don't want to step into the wrong place.

People from these environments don't understand each other.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then you can't drive to a store either!

I'll gladly ride the bus to the mall to try on clothes so I don't have to float three times the amount of money just to sample two other sizes, seriously what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Apparently having access to the princely sum of $40 is bougie now.

Do you really not get the difference between 40 and a few hundred? Did you miss that day in 1st grade when they explained numbers?

e: VVV of course, no one said otherwise. But calling people bougie for being able to order two shirts from Land's End is a hell of a stretch.

i absolutely love that you get so bothered by my forums presence that you're going to get on to me about how it's not bougie at all to just send delivery people back and forth returning clothing you never intended to keep to an online retailer because you can't be bothered to drive yourself to a store

at least this is better than when you would follow me around yelling at me for not posting in uppercase lol

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll gladly ride the bus to the mall to try on clothes so I don't have to float three times the amount of money just to sample two other sizes, seriously what the hell

people who have economic privilege really dislike it when you point out that some minor thing they take for granted is in fact out of the reach of many. it makes them feel bad. and it should

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 9, 2017