Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
~*Provisional Ballot Chat*~

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928354863775453190

Looks like there are 50 in the race where the Republican is up by 12 votes. Gonna take a while to sort it out. It's not even clear how many are in HD94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

~*Provisional Ballot Chat*~

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928354863775453190

Looks like there are 50 in the race where the Republican is up by 12 votes. Gonna take a while to sort it out. It's not even clear how many are in HD94.

IIRC provisional ballots lean fairly Democratic (because they're the people who fell afoul of the ID laws meant to harm Democratic voters) so this is a good sign, but literally no matter how this ends up it's going to come down to a difference of a handful of votes. Which is always nice to have around for those people in your life who are dead set on believing that a single vote doesn't matter.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

IIRC provisional ballots lean fairly Democratic (because they're the people who fell afoul of the ID laws meant to harm Democratic voters) so this is a good sign, but literally no matter how this ends up it's going to come down to a difference of a handful of votes. Which is always nice to have around for those people in your life who are dead set on believing that a single vote doesn't matter.

Yep. And this isn't even getting into what a recount would mean and I expect all 5 of these really close seats are going to go to recount.

Additional background:

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928359306843615232

Provisional ballots usually don't get counted so they're likely only to swing things if it's really close.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Quorum posted:

Vote in every election and for every democratic candidate down ballot. Period.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mcmagic posted:

Vote in every election and for every democratic candidate down ballot. Period.

*As long as it's not David Clarke.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

This thread ain't quite done, since those handful of delegate races are still up in the air, but I want to thank everyone for coming along for the ride, and for busting y'all's asses both on the pavement and on the phones. Goon participation in this one was unreal and it definitely contributed to shifting the needle this year. In 2005, Virginia and New Jersey witnessed then-enormous (now dwarfed :) ) Democratic gains, foreshadowing the anti-Bush backlash of 2006. I started the thread in those grim few weeks before Inauguration Day, before we really knew exactly what shape this garbage fire was going to take, partially as a way to deal with the traumatic haze of 2016. Last night, sitting among Democratic pavement-pounders at the Dem bar in my neighborhood, that haze lifted, just a bit. America's loving pissed, y'all, and if what we accomplished in New Jersey, Virginia, and around the country is any guide, 2018 is on track to blow 2006 out of the water. And for anyone who's like me and deals with stress by rationalizing and getting deep into wonky minutia, that means a wealth of polls to obsess over and a mountain of stupid state and local governmental foibles to freak out about.

For now, though, here it is, your Moment of Zen:

"CNN posted:

At the Water’s End Brewery in Lake Ridge, a crowd of supporters and news cameras awaited Roem as she drove in for a final stop in what became a victory tour of Prince William County Democratic parties.

The crowd chanted “Danica! Danica!” She raised her fist and shouted “Sí, se puede!”

Standing on a table inside the pub, Roem dedicated her win “to every person who’s ever been singled out, who’s ever been stigmatized, who’s ever been the misfit, who’s ever been the kid in the corner, who’s ever needed someone to stand up for them when they didn’t have a voice of their own. This one is for you.”

She then reiterated her promises of alleviating traffic congestion on Route 28.

“That’s why I got in this race,” Roem said. “Because I’m fed up with the frickin’ road over in my home town.”

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Here's some good poo poo

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/928134374519988225

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

Well, the really young guy who won on gun control I'm pretty sure literally won't be old enough to be eligible lol

REALLY hard though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did Fox even show the concession? Was there a concession?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zwabu posted:

There was a phone call to Northam. That's it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Somebody posted earlier in either this thread or the Trump thread that Hannity covered it.

For 6 seconds.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Holy poo poo dat ratio tho

https://twitter.com/andrewtwalk/status/928079632464785408

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Party Plane Jones posted:

Somebody posted earlier in either this thread or the Trump thread that Hannity covered it.

For 6 seconds.

It was by the way [fakes smile] not a state Donald Trump won.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ragnar34 posted:

Do we have any interesting dem candidates yet? Is Roem eligible? How about that Sikh guy, he seems cool. Let's have a low drama infrastructure-focused president. The 2024 ad campaign writes itself.
"The republicans have been wasting their breath complaining about my turban/pronouns as well as the national debt, conveniently forgetting that the last two republican presidents expanded that debt to pay for needless wars and tax cuts on the rich. Meanwhile, I've spent four years advocating for repair -- roads, bridges, dams, and taxes. My name is [name] and I'll see you next year."

You would if folks bothered to pay any loving attention to the west coast.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

You would if folks bothered to pay any loving attention to the west coast.

I'm down for any plan that gets Diane Feinstein out of California, including this one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Charlottesville VA had a turbaned Sikh mayor a few years ago! It’s roughly the same size as Hoboken
Charlottesville is weird because our permanent population is barely more than some VA cities you've never heard of, but there's a huge student population and the greater Albemarle area is at least 120,000. Like I say "we" but I don't even live in town anymore, because the housing affordability index is just a couple ranks lower than Brooklyn. Lots of use commute in from nowhere towns where the daily sight of Confederate flags puts us on edge.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Bible also has surprisingly little to say about transgender people, given that the concept hasn't existed most places (I know there's a few exceptions) before the last century.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928644416281202690

Vote counts starting to shift.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://pilotonline.com/news/govern...a4367ec96d.html

The Virginia Pilot posted:

Control of the House of Delegates may come down to a dozen votes in Newport News

After the Democrats' huge gains in Virginia's legislature on Tuesday, control of the House of Delegates has come down to a Hampton Roads race with a razor-thin margin.

Incumbent David Yancey, the moderate Republican who has represented the 94th district in Newport News since 2011, holds a 12-vote lead over his Democratic challenger, Shelly Simonds. That’s a margin of less than 0.05 percent of the votes cast.

The Newport News Voter Registrar’s office announced that there are 19 provisional ballots – votes that were cast but have not yet been tallied due to problems, such as a voter not having the proper identification.

That handful of ballots could tip the balance in that race and, ultimately, in the statehouse.

The state’s Democrats were claiming victory Wednesday morning in 16 districts where they have wrested seats from incumbent Republicans in Virginia’s 100-seat House of Delegates.

As it stands with Yancey retaining his seat, the House is split 50-50 between Democrats and Republicans. One more flipped seat would mean Democratic control and a whole new political landscape for the state.

Quentin Kidd, the director of Christopher Newport University’s Wason Center for Public Policy in Newport News, said a lot hinges on this race.

Despite controlling the Governor’s mansion, many major Democratic initiatives, like gun control and Medicaid expansion, have been blocked in the Republican-controlled House in recent years, Kidd said. A House majority gives those issues a new lease on life.

Democrats would also be in a much better position to affect redistricting in 2020.

Four other districts around the state were decided by less than 1 percent of the vote, the threshold that would let a losing candidates petition for a recount. Two of those were won by Democrats and two by Republicans.

In the 2015 House of Delegates race, Yancey beat Simonds by 15 percentage points.

The 94th District has been represented by Republicans since 2001, though it has tended to lean Democratic in major state and national elections.

This year, Democrats initially targeted the 94th District as a seat that could be flipped, Kidd said. They poured money and resources into it early on.

“The Democrats for several cycles have felt like the 94th is competitive, but they haven’t been able to make it competitive until yesterday,” Kidd said.

But Zachary Wittkamp, the party's candidate in the district, abruptly dropped out of the race in August. Simonds was put on the ballot, but the Democrats shifted their focus elsewhere, Kidd said.

“They thought it was going to be less competitive,” Kidd said.

Yancey is not a Republican in the Trump mold. While he supports standard Republican policies like exploring off-shore oil drilling and cutting taxes, he also supports solar energy, has spent years trying to reign in predatory lending practices and received low marks from the state’s preeminent anti-abortion group.

The Democratic wave that swept Virginia Tuesday helped Simonds close the gap Yancey had on her in 2015.

One big difference in this election was turnout. In 2015, Yancey beat Simonds in a race with 14,196 total votes cast. This year, there were about 24,000 ballots cast.

In addition, Libertarian candidate Michael D. Bartley, a first-time candidate, nabbed 675 votes, almost 3 percent of the total.

The registrar’s office said the final result for the district would likely be available Monday. The losing campaign could then call for a recount in a race that could decide control of half of the state’s legislature.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

It is realistically unlikely that 19 provisional ballots will contain 13 valid Democratic votes, since a lot of those are people without valid ID who now need to go to the registrar and present said ID after the fact. Usually something like 15-25% of provisionals get counted. But I feel confident all 5 of the close races are getting a recount anyway so WHO KNOWS RIDE OR DIE :shrug:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

It is realistically unlikely that 19 provisional ballots will contain 13 valid Democratic votes, since a lot of those are people without valid ID who now need to go to the registrar and present said ID after the fact. Usually something like 15-25% of provisionals get counted. But I feel confident all 5 of the close races are getting a recount anyway so WHO KNOWS RIDE OR DIE :shrug:

Some provisionals are getting counted right now!

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/928648804664074240

I've got hope, because at this point there's nothing I can do except remind everyone in the state of VA if you voted provisionally to get your rear end down to the courthouse/registrar and show your ID.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

AL-SEN is getting uh...unpleasant

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/928682153063452672

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/928751289365876736

:catstare:

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Virginia House of Delegates:

The Democrat who lost by 124 has decided not to request a recount.

So that takes the number of pending races that may change control from 4 to 3.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Stolen from Corey Robin, a poli-sci professor at CUNY, author of "The Reactionary Mind"

There's a quickly emerging analysis that better-educated, moderate voters in the suburbs of Virginia plus heightened turnout in the cities are what gave the Democrats their victory Tuesday. This analysis fits with the vision of the future that the Clinton wing of the party likes to promote. In actual fact, the turnout for Northam in those precincts was either consistent with the turnout for Clinton in 2016 or dropped; where Northam did do better was in rural counties. And why was that? Mostly b/c of the drop-off in Trump's base of white, rural voters. They didn't turn out. Because they're not that jazzed up, despite Gillespie's attempt to be Trump.

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2017/11/8/16625578/rural-whites-no-show-virginia

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

Stolen from Corey Robin, a poli-sci professor at CUNY, author of "The Reactionary Mind"

There's a quickly emerging analysis that better-educated, moderate voters in the suburbs of Virginia plus heightened turnout in the cities are what gave the Democrats their victory Tuesday. This analysis fits with the vision of the future that the Clinton wing of the party likes to promote. In actual fact, the turnout for Northam in those precincts was either consistent with the turnout for Clinton in 2016 or dropped; where Northam did do better was in rural counties. And why was that? Mostly b/c of the drop-off in Trump's base of white, rural voters. They didn't turn out. Because they're not that jazzed up, despite Gillespie's attempt to be Trump.

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2017/11/8/16625578/rural-whites-no-show-virginia

I, for one, am shocked that it once again turns out that mobilizing your base is how you win.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cerebral Bore posted:

I, for one, am shocked that it once again turns out that mobilizing your base is how you win.

Well in this case it sounds like depressed rural turnout is what led to the wins.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

nachos posted:

Well in this case it sounds like depressed rural turnout is what led to the wins.

As in the GOP not managing to sufficiently mobilize their base.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

nachos posted:

I think the real lesson is how anemic centrists are, and it's only from a historically depressed R base that it seems like something new is happening. If the next election sees a more "sane" traditional republican, it's unlikely the VA results will be repeated.

There is a micro lesson about voter turnout, but imo the macro lesson is that the DNC message isn't nearly inspirational enough except for unique and likely unrepeatable context of a Trump dumpster fire depressing R turnout.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That analysis doesn’t bear out of the data at all. Turnout was up in the north and down in the south. Youth turnout was up by an order of magnitude. That’s all in this thread. Sheesh.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That analysis doesn’t bear out of the data at all. Turnout was up in the north and down in the south. Youth turnout was up by an order of magnitude. That’s all in this thread. Sheesh.

Can't let things like facts and data get in the way of pushing a narrative.

First of all it's not right to compare turnout here with the turnout of a Presidential election. You have to go to the 2013 for an apples to apples comparison. GOP turnout was slightly down and Dem turnout was WAY up. The Dems won the 2013 gubernatorial race by less than 3 points. This time it was by 9. That doesn't happen just because Republicans didn't turnout quite as much.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 10, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Actually, The DNC did a pretty interesting thing in Virginia-- they poured a bunch of money into the races, but earmarked all of it for organizing and direct voter outreach, none for TV ads (which generally came straight from the campaigns or PACs). Just from a campaign tactics standpoint it worked well in that it was under the radar but effective, which meant it didn't raise the specter of the evil national Democratic party coming in from out of state, something that did happen with Ossof.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I gave money to Doug Jones.

I’ve spent money on dumber things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was pretty brusque with the Rob Bell canvasser who came to my door, but only because my hands were covered in barbecue and barbecue marinade. It must've looked like I was being all, "I'm sorry, I don't vote for Republican candidates under any circumstances, and I need to get back to disposing of this body."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I was pretty brusque with the Rob Bell canvasser who came to my door, but only because my hands were covered in barbecue and barbecue marinade. It must've looked like I was being all, "I'm sorry, I don't vote for Republican candidates under any circumstances, and I need to get back to disposing of this body."

"You remind me of the last canvasser who came here...I didn't like him, either."

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

quote:

The analysis above suggests that Democrats did well because white, conservative, rural Republicans, — those who gave Trump his victory last year — simply didn’t show up this time.

This is objectively wrong. Even if rural Trump voters showed up the same relative to 2016, Northam still would have won because Clinton won in 2016 in VA. Nor does the fall identified really impact the House of Delegate races because the Dems picked up seats in districts Clinton had won.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I wish people would actually look at the 2010 Maine Gov race before deciding it wasn't the Dem's fault we got LePage. They ran a tired old person who didn't campaign and was the definition of an insider (first elected in 1974) with no actual plan or appeal. I'm pretty sure 18% is the min A Sleepy Lobster (D) would get in a state wide election. The ME Dems have also fought any sort of ranked choice voting even though it has broad popular support, because of course they they have. The Maine Democratic Party is generally worthless.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

poopinmymouth posted:

I think the real lesson is how anemic centrists are, and it's only from a historically depressed R base that it seems like something new is happening. If the next election sees a more "sane" traditional republican, it's unlikely the VA results will be repeated.

There is a micro lesson about voter turnout, but imo the macro lesson is that the DNC message isn't nearly inspirational enough except for unique and likely unrepeatable context of a Trump dumpster fire depressing R turnout.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

if you look at corbyn in britain, it turns out the way to supercharge turnout from an electorate of highly educated millenial minorities is to articulate a full-throated, angry left wing message that attacks hypocritcal centrists as much as conservatives

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 10, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

yes, if you look at corbyn in britain, it turns out the way to supercharge turnout from an electorate of highly educated millenial minorities is to articulate a full-throated, angry left wing message that attacks hypocritcal centrists as much as conservatives

Here's the thing, though-- in Virginia, at least, you a mix of candidates, including a centrist-style but left-of-center gubernatorial candidate who definitely was no Corbyn, a much more full-throated progressive LG candidate, and a nice sprinkling of people between "soccer mom" and "actual DemSoc" at the delegate level. And Northam outperformed the other statewide guys. So maybe the lesson here is that the Most Left guy doesn't necessarily need to win as long as there's an open conversation in the primary and there's a diversity of views reflected on the ballot. I don't know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

Here's the thing, though-- in Virginia, at least, you a mix of candidates, including a centrist-style but left-of-center gubernatorial candidate who definitely was no Corbyn, a much more full-throated progressive LG candidate, and a nice sprinkling of people between "soccer mom" and "actual DemSoc" at the delegate level. And Northam outperformed the other statewide guys. So maybe the lesson here is that the Most Left guy doesn't necessarily need to win as long as there's an open conversation in the primary and there's a diversity of views reflected on the ballot. I don't know!

He outperformed them by a small amount, which is to be expected. Still, maybe there's another reason for that besides some superior purely political appeal, which ought to be obvious if you take a quick look at Northam and then Fairfax.

Besides that, the takeaway ought to be that you don't need to run some empty suit, because the more leftish guy still woulda won (and maybe even done better on account of not deciding that the campaign needs a little more racism).

• Locked thread