Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried to scan some codes here but it keeps saying invalid region. Are EU and US games not compatible in that regard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ojetor posted:

Just started the 3rd Stratum and got master skills. I want to try the 4 katana spec but my masurao is already by far the party member that dies most often, and that's with heavy armor equipped. I have no clue how I'd keep her alive without any armor on. How are you supposed to make it work?

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Phantom Duelist Fencers, honestly.

This, or divide guard from the shield dragoon, at the cost of no protection for the rest of your team.

Otherwise honest answer: you can't.

They die a lot. With sacred tetrad and reblossom maxed they also kill a lot, but they're the squishiest team member ever (even more squishy than Celestrian back liners)

You can leave them at low HP when you revive them to lower aggro. Won't save them from party wide or row attacks, but multi hits and single target / pierce damage might avoid them.

FrickenMoron posted:

I tried to scan some codes here but it keeps saying invalid region. Are EU and US games not compatible in that regard?

Region locked

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 9, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm going to try auto revive+reincarnation again for my 4 sword now that I'm 80. Hearing him laugh it off when he reincarnates was great. I had to respec out of it at first because other skills had more priority like reblossom+sacred tetrad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there any reason I can't/shouldn't scan the high level guild cards people are posting? I'm not going to have to fight someone's Lvl 86 party or anything, right?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Meeting other guilds is always helpful.
Well - almost always. Sometimes they throw a ton of food at you when your drat food bag is full again.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Ojetor posted:

Just started the 3rd Stratum and got master skills. I want to try the 4 katana spec but my masurao is already by far the party member that dies most often, and that's with heavy armor equipped. I have no clue how I'd keep her alive without any armor on. How are you supposed to make it work?

Kill things before they kill you. For bosses lock them down with ailments (offense and lockdown go together naturally). Fierce Shield is probably the best stopgap measure for when lockdown hasn't happened or fast mobs.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

RegalStar posted:

Fierce Shield is probably the best stopgap

Fierce shield blocks things left to right, front row to back. Stick your masurao in the first slot and you can use it to block all or row target attacks.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fierce Shield, Phantom Duelist Fencers... Hound Rovers can keep them from dying to single hit attacks, at least, and the hound itself is decently tanky though I wouldn't expect it to survive more than one hit from the a level-equivalent enemy unless you max out Guard Command. Healer Botanists are handy too since they're the only class with a 100% effective revival skill. (Auto-Revive too, though that maxes out at 15% chance.)

4-sword Masurao are like chainlink Fencers in that regard. You can't really drop them into any old party and expect them to just kill everything that moves, they need a party that can support them. If they are supported... However, if you don't like the idea of slotting 4 other characters into roles according to how well they can support 1 character, then there are plenty of other effective party combinations. It bears repeating, every class--every single one--has at least one specialty that lets them do giant gently caress-off damage if you build them appropriately.

edit: bloody hell, I still can't get any QR codes to scan. It's not like I've got a hacked 3DS or anything, either. At this point I'm assuming there's some issue with the camera itself.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any other good source of healing besides the Botanist (and items, obv)? I've tried bringing in a Shaman instead, but their passive heal from prayers isn't good enough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any other good source of healing besides the Botanist (and items, obv)? I've tried bringing in a Shaman instead, but their passive heal from prayers isn't good enough.

It is good enough, but you gotta go all in. A divine shaman eventually has 3 different types of constant passive healing that can keep you alive through practically anything, with occasional supplementation with items.

The hardest part of course is the early game. I had a rover with a hound and animal therapy out helping out early on to help bridge the gap until gospel was maxed.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Shamans don't get enough options for passive healing to keep pace until you get access to Masteries. Hound Rovers can do okay, though I wouldn't put more than a point or two into Animal Therapy early on. What you want from them is Aid Command--it's single target only, but heals status ailments and binds at the same time. If you're in the early game, put 4 points into it and leave it there until TP is less of an issue.

The other thing to remember is that it's much better to use cooked food for out of battle healing than skills or items. This can be an issue if you haven't gotten any recipes yet, but roasted Moon Apples are a decent heal by themselves, and can be had for free. If you go apple-picking, try to bring to as many people with the Forage skill as possible to get multiple apples per spawn point. (Earthlains and Therians, basically.)

edit: my bad, I didn't realize you were out of the early game; in that case I'll add one thing to what Regy Rusty said--Split Spirits can fill a lot of gaps too, even with only a couple points in it. If you have a Herald Shaman, you should always have at least one buff up on the party anyway or what are you even bringing them for? Even if it's just a level 1 Ruin prayer or something. It only works if you deal damage, but it scales up fast enough that you can usually keep characters under the effect of max level Overexertion at full health. It should do fine with just the 3 skill points you need to unlock Benevolence.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 9, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Before master titles, Shamans aren't really healers. Gospel is all you have and it's not very much at all. Once you get master titles, the Divine Herald Shaman has a lot of passive healing that can really help keep your group alive, though I'd say relying heavily on passive healing necessitates a group with a strong offense, and ideally strong lockdown potential, so that battles don't drag on very long. This is what I do, for what it's worth--my group does a ton of damage, so the fact that I have to rely on items or union skills for on-demand healing isn't a huge deal. Either I'm going to lock down the toughest enemies and wipe the board in a couple of turns or I'm probably going to get the poo poo kicked out of me healing or not.

Like others have said, some other non-Botanist healing things you can do:
  • Cook food! Take the Gourmet racial skill for anyone who can, too (Therians can't, but everyone else has it). Food is really powerful healing, and several recipes restore lots of TP, too. Using food for out-of-combat healing is awesome.
  • Rovers can provide passive healing with the Animal Therapy passive skill, and if you summon the hound there's some direct healing available, too. Hound Rovers have even more. They're not Botanist-level, but paired with a good defensive support or other sources of passive healing, they can do really well keeping your group alive.
  • Necromancers and Deathguard Harbingers both have full-party heals, though they both require sacrificing something (either a wraith or Miasma Armor) so they're not really spammable.
  • A Divine Herald Shaman's healing paired with strong defense from a Dragoon can also help a lot--while you won't have a lot of "patch everyone up" options that don't come from items or union skills, you'll really slow the rate at which your HP falls in the first place.
  • If your Shaman is a Brouni, have them pick up the Herbalism racial skill and let them be your main item-user. Items are really fast and doubling their effectiveness means they can serve as surprisingly reliable spot healing.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
On the other hand you don't really need a lot of healing before you get masteries

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I felt a lot of need for healing, at least in the first stratum, but I probably wasn't playing all that well in general at that point, and I certainly wasn't using food enough.

After masteries I stopped having any direct healing in my group at all, though, and I don't really miss it. These days I'm running Deathbringer Harbinger, Chain Fencer, Barrage Pugilist, Omnimancer Warlock, and Herald Shaman, and I feel decently survivable (and in general I can end fights before they become serious threats in the first place).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Regy Rusty posted:

It is good enough, but you gotta go all in. A divine shaman eventually has 3 different types of constant passive healing that can keep you alive through practically anything, with occasional supplementation with items.

The hardest part of course is the early game. I had a rover with a hound and animal therapy out helping out early on to help bridge the gap until gospel was maxed.

Thanks, stacking a Rover with the Shaman worked out well. The Rover does surprisingly okay damage, too. I actually went pretty far without a Dragoon...

What's the deal with the Memory Conch? Is that the EXP share thing we were talking about before? Is there a party-wide version?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 9, 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks, stacking a Rover with the Shaman worked out well. The Rover does surprisingly okay damage, too. I actually went pretty far without a Dragoon...

What's the deal with the Memory Conch? Is that the EXP share thing we were talking about before? Is there a party-wide version?

it takes up one party member’s accessory slot and gives half exp to the benched guild members

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That's the EXP share thing. You equip it on someone who is in your party, and then all of your reserve members get 10% of the EXP from each battle (which is half of what a single party member would get in a five-character party).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aha, gotcha. I'll be keeping that on someone at all times, then.

Also, I completely forgot that you can move between classes for each race. So, Harbinger Brounis, Dragoon Therians, Warlock Earthlains...I haven't really messed with that. Is there any particular reason to move out of your racial classes, or does it not matter much?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Aha, gotcha. I'll be keeping that on someone at all times, then.

Also, I completely forgot that you can move between classes for each race. So, Harbinger Brounis, Dragoon Therians, Warlock Earthlains...I haven't really messed with that. Is there any particular reason to move out of your racial classes, or does it not matter much?

For the most part, each class's default race is the best one for each class. That said, if you want to use a class combination that doesn't let you have all four races by default (which is the case for my party), there are some classes/specs that work really well with alternate races. For example:
  • Anything that only really cares about STR is going to be great as a Therian. For the most part, aside from the default Therian classes, that means Chain Fencers and Impact Pugilists, or maybe Deathguard Harbingers for Ephermal Reap since debuffs don't care about your other stats. (My Chain Fencer is a Therian.)
  • Celestrians make great offensive Shamans (Divine Punisher title).
  • Celestrians or Earthlains can be good ailment-focused (Poisoner) Botanists. Brounis have awful LUC so they're not good at landing ailments. Earthlains have the best LUC, and Celestrians have decent LUC and the best INT so they do the best possible damage with Smoke Bomb. They won't be as good at healing as a Brouni, but much better at the ailments and damage portion.
  • Brounis have decent VIT and so can be okay as a Shield Dragoon, if for some reason you want to do that. (By which I mean I don't think Shield Dragoons are all that useful in the first place.)
  • If nothing else, some builds don't really care about your stats in the first place, so if for some reason you can't fit a race into your party and you want their racial skills, you can use them with a class that doesn't care what your stats are. For example, a Deathguard Harbinger's debuffs don't rely on stats at all, so if you don't care about Ephemeral Reap damage, they could easily be a Celestrian or Brouni. There's not a ton of reason to go for that, but there's not much reason not to, either.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
The biggest issue I'm running into right now (F4) with my party that doesn't include a Botanist is that status ailments feel like they're basically a death sentence. I don't think any other class has a status heal yet, at least that I've noticed.

Necromancer can throw out a quick party heal with Life Exchange if you're really hurting for it early on.

By the way, what's a good level recommendation for the first boss? I'm running two parties, so I'm a little off the standard EXP curve.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Herald Shamans and Deathguard Harbingers do get ailment-blocking skills, but I forgot that Rovers get an ailment cleanse. At this point I mostly use Hygieia's Bowl when I'm in a "I need to cure these ailments right away or I'm hosed" situation, but that's not really sustainable so really ailment-heavy fights wear me down pretty badly.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 9, 2017

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

LordHippoman posted:

I don't think any other class has a status heal yet, at least that I've noticed.

Aid Command of the Rover also cleanses ailments and Atonement of the Deathguard Reaper at least has a chance to do so (although that skill is only available way later).
Thericas can be farmed on the second floor if you really need ailment (and bind) removal.

A good level for the first boss is 14 to 18.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
In defense of shield dragoons, they get Counter Guard, which when combined with bolt/blaze/hail prayer and the matching elemental link, makes for a pile of triggers.

They also get dragon force which is very good.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Most people end up fighting the 1st boss around level 15 or so, but it's not a hard requirement--you can get away with lower levels if your armor is up-to-date and the weapons are forged up. Potentially much lower if you know exactly which skills to use, but I can't imagine even getting there in the first place lower than, like, level 12. You'd have to be deliberately avoiding all the FOEs/neglecting quests & frequently running from battle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

In defense of shield dragoons, they get Counter Guard, which when combined with bolt/blaze/hail prayer and the matching elemental link, makes for a pile of triggers.

Oh that's cool, I didn't realize it used your normal weapon attack to counter. That could be fun to try out.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rule of thumb is, anything that says a character counterattacks without specifying the damage type defaults to whatever weapon you have equipped + relevant buffs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Rule of thumb is, anything that says a character counterattacks without specifying the damage type defaults to whatever weapon you have equipped + relevant buffs.

Does that include the Masurao's Mirror Moon skill, too? Granted that one only counterattacks physical damage, but still.

Could be fun to Dragon Roar a Masurao, then for each subsequent turn use Counter Guard and have the Masurao use Mirror Moon and a Chain Fencer use an appropriate elemental chain, and just let the counterattacks roll. Wouldn't work on every fight (even if chains will chase Mirror Moon attacks at all) but I bet it'd be fun for the ones where it does.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Chains do work with Mirror Moon counterattacks of the appropriate element, yes. That is in fact one of the ways a Masurao can support a chain fencer, since they don't otherwise get access to much in the way of elemental damage or binds & ailments.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Rangpur posted:

A better rule of thumb is to look at the description. If it explicitly says to "attack with weapon" or something similar, it will use the damage type of weapon + elemental imbues if present.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was about to complain that we wouldn't see any more FM synth music but I took a look at the DLC and BAM there it is. :allears: Yayyyyyy

Edit: Come to think of it...did they remove the quick-jump feature from the Untold games? I liked that :saddowns:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 9, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Chains do work with Mirror Moon counterattacks of the appropriate element, yes. That is in fact one of the ways a Masurao can support a chain fencer, since they don't otherwise get access to much in the way of elemental damage or binds & ailments.

Extremely cool. Gonna try that out once I finish the 6th stratum with my current ailment/bind-heavy Chain Killer setup. Counterattacks feeding elemental chains sounds like a fun variation.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: Come to think of it...did they remove the quick-jump feature from the Untold games? I liked that :saddowns:
A lot of people did. I think they made the call in large part to limit how badly you can abuse Zombie Powder. No, really, I think that's actually one of the main reasons.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Harrow posted:

Anything that only really cares about STR is going to be great as a Therian. For the most part, aside from the default Therian classes, that means Chain Fencers and Impact Pugilists, or maybe Deathguard Harbingers for Ephermal Reap since debuffs don't care about your other stats. (My Chain Fencer is a Therian.)

Therians make decent Cannon Dragoons, too. They have less survivability than Earthlains, but since they still get heavy armour and a Cannon Dragoon's gameplan doesn't usually involve personally drawing hits to themselves, that's rarely a major problem, and the extra STR, AGI, and TP are nice to have. On the other hand, they do have worse LUC, so their ailment shots will be less reliable if you care about those.

quote:

If nothing else, some builds don't really care about your stats in the first place, so if for some reason you can't fit a race into your party and you want their racial skills, you can use them with a class that doesn't care what your stats are. For example, a Deathguard Harbinger's debuffs don't rely on stats at all, so if you don't care about Ephemeral Reap damage, they could easily be a Celestrian or Brouni. There's not a ton of reason to go for that, but there's not much reason not to, either.

Rovers can also be pretty much any race if you really want, since most of their abilities rely primarily on their pet's stats instead of their own.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 9, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Rovers can also be pretty much any race if you really want, since most of their abilities rely primarily on their pet's stats instead of their own.

Yeah, especially Falcon Rovers--except for Million Arrows, all their best attacks are falcon-only and don't even incorporate a bow shot at all.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This is also why falcon Rovers are an especially good choice to equip with the Killing Shot bow and it's rear end-saving chance to prevent ambushes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've got EO5 downloading off the e-shop as we speak, what do i need to know coming off of 4?

I also played a bit of Untold 2, does 5 do it's difficulty like that where hard mode is the "default"?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've got EO5 downloading off the e-shop as we speak, what do i need to know coming off of 4?

I also played a bit of Untold 2, does 5 do it's difficulty like that where hard mode is the "default"?

Numerically-speaking, Advanced is the "default," yes. Basic isn't nearly as easy as something like Picnic, though--you do 20% more damage and enemies do 20% less damage, but that's all that changes I think. Having started with EO4 myself, EO5's Advanced feels about right for difficulty. It's not quite as punishing as EO2U could be on its hard mode.

As for things to know:
  • There's no world map anymore, and no more side dungeons. It's all labyrinth, all the time.
  • There aren't subclasses anymore, but every class has multiple possible things it can build to and two specializations you can choose from after the 2nd stratum.
  • You can cook food in the labyrinth now when you find campfires and it's a fantastic source of out-of-combat healing that you should use as much as you can.
  • You unlock the ability to teleport directly to a floor in the labyrinth by turning in a mostly-completed map of the previous floor at the Council. It's pretty forgiving, so your map doesn't have to be exact, although I'm told coloring in lots of water instead of just drawing walls can cause your map not to qualify.
  • You can upgrade weapons now, up to +5, using monster parts. It's a lot more economical than constantly buying new weapons so it's worth it to stay on top of upgrading your stuff.
  • If you use a Dragoon (the most obvious tank class), the game tells you they go in the back row. This isn't really true. They can go in the back row, because they use guns, but they don't have to, and there are advantages to a front-row Dragoon too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So Dragoon is the Fortress from 4 then? What's the intended tank class if Dragoons are suppose to be backline?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Dragoon is the Fortress from 4 then? What's the intended tank class if Dragoons are suppose to be backline?

They're not supposed to be backline, is what I mean. They can be, but it's generally better to use them in the front line because, well, they're tanks and the front line gets hit more often. One of their possible specializations, focusing on their gun attacks, can do more damage from the front row, too. But they have multiple ways to tank, including using summons to tank hits.

Oh yeah, that's another change: multiple classes can summon, and summons have their own special row, unlike in EO3. Dragoons can place bunkers and turrets; Rovers have a falcon and/or hound pet; Necromancers summon wraiths that they destroy to use most of their skills. Rover and Necromancer summons persist between fights and can be summoned outside of battle, too.

EDIT: Oh, and other possible tanks include Fencers (they have a dodge-tank specialization), and possibly Necromancer summons, though they can't tank for super long and are mostly just to provide a little bit of cover in an emergency I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
A couple other things:
  • TEC has been split into INT (magic attack) and WIS (magic defense and healing power)
  • ATK and DEF have been split into ATK/MAT and DEF/MDF for physical/magical stuff
  • Weapons now have a separate +MAT stat, and it greatly affects elemental damage, so upgrading your mage's staff is actually useful. MAT does not affect healing power though--only WIS does.
  • Armor is also kind of a big deal now (it wasn't in EO4 because of some math poo poo) and you should definitely keep up with upgrades as you go.
  • Each character has a race in addition to a class. Race determines what classes you initially have access to but you can reclass to any race's class for the cost of 5 levels. Race determines about 90% of the character's stat growth and the Union skills they can learn, as well as giving access to a smattering of 1-point passive skills. In general, some classes can be better as their non-native races, but there's no classes that need to be race-swapped to be good.

EDIT: Also, in regards to the new forging system, if you see a weapon with something like "STR up" or a skill name grayed out, that means that effect is locked until you forge the weapon at least to +1. Going higher than that increases the stat boost or skill level, in addition to the weapon's stats.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 9, 2017