Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
My former owner nailed everything using what feels like a completely random nail selection - none of them matching each other is the norm. It feels like he just pulled from a giant dump bucket of nails.

He hung a furring strip with the above. Every nail pull was a surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Zahgaegun posted:

My former owner nailed everything using what feels like a completely random nail selection - none of them matching each other is the norm. It feels like he just pulled from a giant dump bucket of nails.

Sure why not? 200lb shear strength each baby! Funny though

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zahgaegun posted:

I used to live in a place that used nail assortments like that to hang curtain rods.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Because of this thread, I get anxiety about how every little half-rear end fix I do will be judged in twenty years when someone else tears it out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

Because of this thread, I get anxiety about how every little half-rear end fix I do will be judged in twenty years when someone else tears it out.

Humanity won't exist in twenty years so :shrug:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

High Lord Elbow posted:

That's the nature of owning a home I guess. You try to do stuff right, but at some point you always have to improvise a little.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bird in a Blender posted:

That's the nature of owning a home I guess. You try to do stuff right, but at some point you always have to improvise a little.

Seriously. I've been trying to undo/redo the previous owners half-assed stuff, but it's slow going to do things "right" and I certainly see the temptation of half-assing it, especially if you tell yourself "oh, I'll totally come back in a few months and do it right."

Not that i"m one to talk, because I've been "half-assing" a window in the bathroom for a while now. Might have been in the "fix it" thread, but I posted that the window was terrible. The sashes are so loose in the...jamb(?) that they can just be wiggled out. Turns out, the previous owner installed what should have been a horizontal sliding window as a regular, "double hung".

My solution thus far has been a bunch of caulk around gaps and a large piece of plastic sheeting over it that I replace every couple of months when it gets nasty, because I dread actually trying to replace it because the inside is all tile up to the window frame and I'm not sure how to go about doing it and not breaking tiles...I probably can't, so I'd have to find tiles that look similar because I doubt I can get exact ones. Plus, my exterior is aluminum siding, so if I don't get an exact fit, it'll look like poo poo if I have to try and "fill in" any gaps.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

the...jamb(?)

The jambs are the side bits, from the French jambe, meaning leg. Which I guess makes the sash the dick.

DrBouvenstein posted:

"double hung".

Exactly.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm in the process of redoing my basement, half of it was "finished", and the other half is a utility area. I'm just working on the finished side. It was old musty carpet, with wood paneling on two sides and drywall on the other. Always fun finding the crappy construction from previous owners.

There's one part of my basement that has a small door in it that leads to a small crawl space, this part of the wall had some plywood on it with a 2'x2' door in the middle, if that makes any sense. The plywood was just screwed onto the framing, so I figured this will be no problem to remove. Well I take off one piece and find three other smaller pieces patched in behind it and that's nailed on. I start pulling that off and I find that they just shoved some random scrap behind that and nailed that to even more plywood. Best I can tell is that one side was not even, so they just kept shoving in "shims" of scrap behind the plywood to try and make everything flush. Not the worst thing in the world, but definitely evidence of the previous owner just getting lazy and or cheap and just doing something to make it work. I should have taken a picture.
Weird crawl spaces reminds me of a house I was looking at renting with a couple friends that was basically Groverhaus v0.8b and/or the site of a real-life horror movie plot. Some highlights of that lovely home include:
  • A crawl space on the top floor that, when opened, was filled with assorted bug corpses. Thousands of dead moths, wasps, praying mantises, etc. in a sort of elephant graveyard situation.
  • The half bathroom was exactly big enough for a toilet and sink. However, putting both in there meant that the door could only open enough for a very slim person to enter and even after closing the door you'd have just barely enough room to actually move to the toilet.
  • The full bathroom was in the middle of the house and as such had no natural light or ventilation.
  • Fireplace filled with old phone books, circa 1995, in a giant plastic bag.
  • All of the first floor windows were frosted glass.
  • No less than 3 "secret passages" that had no lighting at all and went to other parts of the house; the one I went through took me from the master bedroom closet into the sunroom (the sunroom entrance blended very nicely into the wall itself).
  • The door to the basement had multiple locks on it, including a chain lock. The realtor was very insistent: Don't go in the basement. Ever. Would not explain why and immediately changed the subject.
  • Backyard had half of a clothesline hanger in it. Thought the other half might be the side of the house, but I didn't see any sort of attachments for that.
Shockingly, we decided not to rent that place.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zahgaegun posted:

I pulled the workbench apart that came with my house. It had various combinations of nails, screws, and bolts (some with square nuts!) holding it together. The entire thing was made of scrap wood, some of the pieces seemed to have been thoroughly soaked in pesticides.

Some of the light fixtures were connected to the box with drywall screws.

I'm assuming this was two or more owners ago. The most recent one wasn't that handy, and neither owned a measuring tape or a level. Every bathroom towel rack and toilet paper holder was eyeballed and hung on a severe angle.

Yawgmoth posted:

[*]The door to the basement had multiple locks on it, including a chain lock. The realtor was very insistent: Don't go in the basement. Ever. Would not explain why and immediately changed the subject.

This sounds like they don't want anyone (anything?) getting OUT of the basement.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 9, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Yawgmoth posted:

[*]The door to the basement had multiple locks on it, including a chain lock. The realtor was very insistent: Don't go in the basement. Ever. Would not explain why and immediately changed the subject.

Now I need to know what was in there

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

couldcareless posted:

Now I need to know what was in there

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This really is the wrong thread for this reddit find.

I had to take a moment to compose myself when I got to the mechanicals.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

glynnenstein posted:

I skimmed your post and clicked that link expecting some kind of DIY fiasco. Kept scrolling, waiting for the shitshow to begin.

I don't care for the style but I want that guy to build my house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No kidding. The aesthetic just is what it is, that's just cosmetic and that can be whatever a person wants. The build itself and the specs are top notch though. Living the dream.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Style aside, that's what my renovation would've been if I had 50% more money and somewhere else to live for an extra year. You can definitely see the effect of him having been through two renovations first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

The build itself and the specs are top notch though

Yeah until russian hackers turn his lightbulbs into a botnet

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Proteus Jones posted:

Is it, though? Aren't they the ones that said that product should never have been used with that building? Also, wasn't it a building supplier that sold them and not the factory itself?

I got no dog in this race, but I would think if karma were to strike it should be the building supply company that actually sold the product knowing where it was going to be used just so they could low bid and win.

gently caress, you're right.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

glynnenstein posted:

It's very cool, but does he ever explain why he doesn't have a range hood or bathroom venting? Is it just to lessen "piercing the envelope?"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

10 Beers posted:

It's very cool, but does he ever explain why he doesn't have a range hood or bathroom venting? Is it just to lessen "piercing the envelope?"

That's the only reason that I saw him state. He mentions being an Oilers fan so if he's up in Alberta it might be a special-ish case compared to what I'm used to.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Yeah until russian hackers turn his lightbulbs into a botnet

DMX is a fairly lame standard (they're all lame, DALI is the least lame) and the Lutron kit doesn't do a vast amount of internet-y stuff either, but hopefully he's smart enough to put in a firewall. But no botnets in that kit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

Weird crawl spaces reminds me of a house I was looking at renting with a couple friends that was basically Groverhaus v0.8b and/or the site of a real-life horror movie plot. Some highlights of that lovely home include:
  • A crawl space on the top floor that, when opened, was filled with assorted bug corpses. Thousands of dead moths, wasps, praying mantises, etc. in a sort of elephant graveyard situation.
  • The half bathroom was exactly big enough for a toilet and sink. However, putting both in there meant that the door could only open enough for a very slim person to enter and even after closing the door you'd have just barely enough room to actually move to the toilet.
  • The full bathroom was in the middle of the house and as such had no natural light or ventilation.
  • Fireplace filled with old phone books, circa 1995, in a giant plastic bag.
  • All of the first floor windows were frosted glass.
  • No less than 3 "secret passages" that had no lighting at all and went to other parts of the house; the one I went through took me from the master bedroom closet into the sunroom (the sunroom entrance blended very nicely into the wall itself).
  • The door to the basement had multiple locks on it, including a chain lock. The realtor was very insistent: Don't go in the basement. Ever. Would not explain why and immediately changed the subject.
  • Backyard had half of a clothesline hanger in it. Thought the other half might be the side of the house, but I didn't see any sort of attachments for that.
Shockingly, we decided not to rent that place.

That isn't groverhaus so much as murderhaus. That basement was also filled with bug and human corpses.

Can you post a link to zillow/redfin?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

H110Hawk posted:

That isn't groverhaus so much as murderhaus. That basement was also filled with bug and human corpses.

Can you post a link to zillow/redfin?
This was back around 2008 or so; I doubt it's even still standing. Even without all the murderhaus fun the place looked like it was one bad summer/winter storm from being condemned.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

glynnenstein posted:

That might be the most grimly antiseptic interior design I've ever seen.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

This was back around 2008 or so; I doubt it's even still standing. Even without all the murderhaus fun the place looked like it was one bad summer/winter storm from being condemned.

Which neighborhood? I lived in a house in Marcy Holmes that had a big gently caress off lock on the basement entrance, which was exterior.

None of the other features match, but that house was the result of trusting someone else to look at a place for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That might be the most grimly antiseptic interior design I've ever seen.

I like it, but I've been told I have utilitarian taste (I think that was an insult). One person said my rooms had been designed by an Ascetic Monk.

I just really like minimalism and sparse decor.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

crazypeltast52 posted:

Which neighborhood? I lived in a house in Marcy Holmes that had a big gently caress off lock on the basement entrance, which was exterior.

None of the other features match, but that house was the result of trusting someone else to look at a place for me.
Marquette, MI, I don't remember the exact address. I looked at a lot of lovely houses around that time, which reminds me of another probably-murderhaus:
  • Entire house tilted slightly to the south.
  • Underneath the stairs to the front door was a good 50ft of assorted rusted out metal trim and rotting wood trim loaded up with rusting finishing nails sticking out. Tetanus++
  • Backyard was huge, but also 95% swamp complete with an assortment of overgrown weeds and what might have been some sort of animal habitat.
  • Dead oak tree in the back with a tire swing hanging off a branch.
  • Rusted out, barely intact swingset half sunken into the marsh. One seat half-attached, other two seats missing.
  • Garage was absolutely full of... something. Tough to see in there since it was locked and the windows were coated in 5+ years of dust. Could definitely see 3 washer/dryer sets in there and some axes/saws, the rest was an assortment of (we think) carpet, pieces of metal, framing wood, paint cans, etc.
  • Back patio-type-thing clearly never had any sealant applied to it, was a lovely shade of Depression Grey and warped/splintering.
  • The patio "furniture" was a pair of booths stolen from Subway, complete with the table attaching the two.
This landlord didn't even show up. Waited for an hour after he said he'd be there and this is all we could see from the outside. We finally got a hold of him and I was the designated caller since apparently I am the most verbally vicious person among us. He seemed stunned that (a) we weren't interested anymore, and (b) that he may actually need to do more than say "this place is for rent, pay me $x/mo to live here" to actually rent it out.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The house we bought earlier this year has one of those chain locks on the outside of the basement door too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

10 Beers posted:

I think this is why maybe?

rough-ins are well under way electrically, I also decided to install my own ventilation lines. Zhender has a neat system called the combo-tube which is a distributed network of 3" corrugated plastic pipes, essentially each room gets two 3" lines to supply fresh air into them and each bathroom gets two pipes to exhaust air from the space. with this, I do not need washroom exhaust nor do I need kitchen exhaust, as long as I utilize an induction stove. So with full house HRV you can eliminate individual exhaust fans that each exhaust warm air outside (or in the summer chilled air) and also allows you to eliminate the kitchen exhaust fan, which in many cases can be one of the largest sources of wasted exhausted energy.

edit: What's up with the probably multi million dollar house and cheap rear end folding chairs at the dining room table lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 9, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I assume the induction stove thing is meant to contrast with a gas stove, which creates exhaust fumes? But you'd still have grease and (potentially) smoke that would need to get ventilated away.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Lol, yeah, kitchen exhaust hoods are for a lit more than just blasting air out. You kinda need them for getting rid of smoke and grease and everything else that happens in a kitchen.

The place I'm renting now doesn't have kitchen or bathroom exhaust fans and desperately long for them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like the design ad how well built the house is but I hate his decorating. I especially hate the living room tv framed shelf build in.
I'd certainly be happy with him renovating my house, though

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Content: please tell me that’s somewhere that ices over because it has to be.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LOL that's awesome!

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

I've got something wrong with it--the roof.

Yes, the manufacturer says you can use those shingles down to 2:12, but the manufacturer also says they warranty the shingles to last for as long as you own the house, and we know that's bullshit. It'll be fine when it's new, and I have to concede that at R-80 (holy poo poo) he is unlikely to have a lot of ice dam issues on it, but it just saws across every instinct I have. Also, it looks like they installed it when it was really cold. You can do that, but asphalt shingles like that are relying on an adhesive to stick the bottom of the tab down to the course of shingles below. That adhesive generally relies on being sun-warmed to actually stick. Installing them that cold, you're either using a lot of labor to stick the tabs down by hand, or just waiting for summer for the roof to actually stick itself together. I've seen that go wrong, and doing that on such a low-slope roof feels extra risky. Also also, OSB just flies the gently caress apart if you do have a leak and it gets wet, and the way he's got that thing insulated, not realizing he even has a leak is a very real possibility (seen that too--customer says they have a little wet spot on their ceiling, turns out he's had a pinhole leak slowly soaking the plywood for the last three winters, everything is awful and then he claims we're trying to scam him). Those also look like pretty base-level shingles--they don't match the finish quality of the rest of the house, to me. Furthermore, what is this torchdown poo poo in 2017?

The way he's spending on everything else in that house, and with the way it's designed aesthetically, I'd suggest standing-seam metal on it. But the roof is so often the first thing to go when people need to trim the budget somewhere.

EDIT: Oh, right. And inward-sloping roofs are always stupid. You're pointing the water at your interior walls and making it so that when your flashing does eventually fail, it has a hose pointed at it. He at least has decent crickets built in there. I've seen houses that somehow got built with a roof slope just dead loving ending into a wall, with predictable results.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 10, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

McMansion Hell has made me unable to see multiple, multiple rooflines like that without shuddering.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apart from the roof I think it's great, though I still can't get over the mental hurdle of wiring your house through and through with something that's going to go obsolete and need replacing. I guess I'm not a smart-house fan.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

This looks exactly like a ramp/stairwell to a house in a tiny town in Alaska I spent summers in as a kid. I assume the ramp isn't as steep as it looks, but not that far off. We used to race big wheels/wagons/anything on wheels down one similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Apart from the roof I think it's great, though I still can't get over the mental hurdle of wiring your house through and through with something that's going to go obsolete and need replacing. I guess I'm not a smart-house fan.

I've just read through it, what were you referring to? If you mean the lighting then he's done what I was planning to do; have all the controllers and drivers in a central location and just run low voltage power to the lights, so if the "smart" bits need replacing they're done centrally. If you mean the cat6 networking, then yeah eventually, but what else are you going to do? Our predecessors ran coax for TV for the same reason.