Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Final Crisis 2: Really Final This Time, Seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I have so many sad words about Titans but at this point I think I'm the only one here who cares.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've been enjoying Titans in trades, what's the canary in the coalmine past vol. 2?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've been reading DC comics for over 13 years now, but today was the first time I realized that Mister Miracle was the biological son of the Highfather, who was exchanged to Darkseid for Orion. I always thought it was Kalibak for Orion! I thought Kalibak was a normal-looking New Genesian baby, but Darkseid corrupted him to what he became.

I think I always thought this because of the DCAU. In Superman: TAS, I don't recall Scott Free ever appearing, but there was plenty of Orion and Kalibak. Did they change the story in this adaptation? Or did I always just have my wires crossed?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was certainly clear in the Kirby comics.

Skwirl posted:

Superman: TAS was the majority of my exposure to The New Gods and I certainly thought Kalibak was the infant in the exchange until reading this right now. Scott Free never showed up in the cartoon.

Y'all needa ask Santa for that new Fourth World omnibus this year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 8, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Revol posted:

I've been reading DC comics for over 13 years now, but today was the first time I realized that Mister Miracle was the biological son of the Highfather, who was exchanged to Darkseid for Orion. I always thought it was Kalibak for Orion! I thought Kalibak was a normal-looking New Genesian baby, but Darkseid corrupted him to what he became.

I think I always thought this because of the DCAU. In Superman: TAS, I don't recall Scott Free ever appearing, but there was plenty of Orion and Kalibak. Did they change the story in this adaptation? Or did I always just have my wires crossed?

Superman: TAS was the majority of my exposure to The New Gods and I certainly thought Kalibak was the infant in the exchange until reading this right now. Scott Free never showed up in the cartoon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Skwirl posted:

Yeah I had this misconception too. Scott Free showed up later on Justice League Unlimited though.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Revol posted:

It's an understandable mistake, considering their exposure in DCAU and it's not as if Darkseid and Free have father/son issues the way Darkseid and Orion and Kalibak do. And for the past 13 years or so Highfather has been for the most part a non-entity. I think Kalibak is just Darkseid's son, not one traded over.

I guess it may have been mentioned in the Darkseid War?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I have so many sad words about Titans but at this point I think I'm the only one here who cares.

Sad as in you believe it's bad, or sad as in you believe it's emotionally draining?

Green Arrow died in Michael Cray. Barry Allen looks like he's next.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 8, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Space Fish posted:

I've been enjoying Titans in trades, what's the canary in the coalmine past vol. 2?

I think it went to poo poo at Vol 2 so maybe you'll continue liking it. The current arc is the culmination of a lot of Abnett's run, back to Titans Hunt, and it's just all over the place and feels like this was pulled out of his rear end. There's no way this was the plan back when he introduced Mister Twister.

nofather posted:

Sad as in you believe it's bad, or sad as in you believe it's emotionally draining?

Yes. It's bad and it drains me emotionally because of how stupidly invested I am in some of the characters, and how uninvested I am in out of the blue inclusions of others.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I think DC's had trouble with team comics for a while now. Some start strong then just peter off or go nowhere. Figure they'll put Bendis on one to try and change it up.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

nofather posted:

I think DC's had trouble with team comics for a while now. Some start strong then just peter off or go nowhere. Figure they'll put Bendis on one to try and change it up.

I always felt like team books were where Bendis' weaknesses were magnified just look at the latter half of his Avengers run. His best work is a central character with some support cast. Enough to have his snappy dialogue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
New Avengers started really loving strong, it just went nowhere fast. Same thing with his X-Men.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
BC: Jonathan Hickman Has Been Made An Offer By DC Comics

This has been talked about for a while now, but it seems to be further along now.

quote:

This has been in the works for a long time. But I understand that Jonathan Hickman, who has been working on creator-owned comics since he left Marvel Comics at the end of Secret Wars, has has been in talks with DC Comics. The nature of which has been a long time in the agreeing, but I understand whatever it would be would not be an exclusive deal, leaving Jonathan Hickman open to work on other work-for-hire projects. That could include Marvel.

As it stands, DC Comics asked Hickman to pitch several things and he has. They have made him an offer. He has yet to accept. But the decision for the man who shepherded Hickman into Marvel Comics from Image Comics, Brian Bendis, to join DC Comics does feel like the fates aligning.

When the Bendis news hit, I said I was a fan of his. That news had me excited, if somewhat cautiously. Hickman writing for DC would be so much more exciting. Give him team books and long-term projects, especially Legion. Give Bendis street-level and character rejuvenation projects.

Skwirl posted:

New Avengers started really loving strong, it just went nowhere fast. Same thing with his X-Men.

Define 'fast'? I think it was strong for many years, at the very least up to Secret Invasion.

If you're thinking the second volume of New Avengers, then sure, but that certainly wasn't 'fast', that was many, many years into Bendis' Avengers run.

I'd say that his 'Avengers' run started strong, but went nowhere fast; it kinda began to falter within its first year.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Jiro posted:

I always felt like team books were where Bendis' weaknesses were magnified just look at the latter half of his Avengers run. His best work is a central character with some support cast. Enough to have his snappy dialogue.

I started liking him from Sam and Twitch, so I think he's good with pairs, too. I think he's better with street level characters, or at least not characters with a variety of powers (not sure how he deals with those). But like Skwirl says his New Avengers started strong. Admittedly it was probably due to the events and the Avengers being at the center of them. The registration act, Skrulls, a new Sorcerer Supreme and Dark Reign. It lasted quite a while and I'm pretty sure it revitalized the team from a comic perspective. I don't know how his X-men did but I've heard a lot of complaints about it, it could just be due to how screwed up they were to begin with.

As much as I think they're going to task him to Justice League, I'm not sure it would be the right fit. But there are a lot of teams in DC. And maybe all the JL (or another team) needs is a good kickstart. I wouldn't compare Morrison to Bendis but Morrison's JLA led to Kelly's. Maybe Bendis'll start a trend and someone else will take it somewhere good.

Still, giving Bendis a big name book like Justice League while also letting him do his own thing in another seems like something DC would do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hickman’s Booster Gold would be pretty great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Revol posted:

This has been talked about for a while now, but it seems to be further along now.

When the Bendis news hit, I said I was a fan of his. That news had me excited, if somewhat cautiously. Hickman writing for DC would be so much more exciting. Give him team books and long-term projects, especially Legion. Give Bendis street-level and character rejuvenation projects.

Define 'fast'? I think it was strong for many years, at the very least up to Secret Invasion.

If you're thinking the second volume of New Avengers, then sure, but that certainly wasn't 'fast', that was many, many years into Bendis' Avengers run.

I'd say that his 'Avengers' run started strong, but went nowhere fast; it kinda began to falter within its first year.

Yeah, in retrospect New Avengers was really good through Civil War, so for years, even if I didn't like his Dr Strange. I think it's because I read it as it was coming out and now everything from that long ago seems like it happened in a two week span.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like if Hickman goes in with DC, we might start seeing something of an exodus.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I changed my mind. Hickman on Lobo. I hope that was one of his pitches.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those will be a really great 7 issues over two years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just think of all the fun we’ll have over the coming years imagining how it might have ended.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I could live with the delays, really.

The thing with Hickman is his endings are always so bleh, they just fizzle out. He builds things up really well, though, never follows through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You guys know Hickman hasn't worked for Marvel since Secret Wars ended almost two years ago, right?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

You guys know Hickman hasn't worked for Marvel since Secret Wars ended almost two years ago, right?

Yes, why?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
His lackluster endings have been a thing since Nightly News, Pax Romana and Transhuman through his Marvel tenure, I don't think that's really something that's changed. But he's still known as a big Marvel writer and DC has been really putting an emphasis on getting good or popular writers to sign with them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Roth posted:

I feel like if Hickman goes in with DC, we might start seeing something of an exodus.

You already have an exodus with those two, but then I think it ends right there. Who else is there to leave from Marvel? The way I see it, they have a few talents you can't afford to lose (Aaron, Ewing) so they'll move heaven and earth to prevent it. Then you have Slott and Spencer, who are too loyal to the company to jump ship. Everyone else, I don't see being a big upgrade to whoever DC already has.

If there is more of an exodus beyond Bendis and potentially Hickman, it would be artists who have relationships with them.

Oh man speaking of Hickman and Lobo, I want to see Nick Dragotta draw that, it would be a fuckin' trip.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roth posted:

If it means Pearlmutter not treating the Marvel Bullpen like a sweatshop I'm all for it.

If anything delay Doomsday Clock give it to Hickman to retool, and also give him Kyle Rayner, and The New Gods, Legion, Action Comics, and a Lex Luthor book.

And give Bendis DETECTIVE FREAKING CHIMP already! :mad: Also whoever said bring back Gotham Central is on the money, poo poo even tie them together have a suspended Harvey Bullock snag a job with Chimp and you turn it into a nice mishmash of paranormal poo poo and regular crime solving.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Blah Blah, Hickman's endings are trash"

Yeah let's ignore the final issue of his F4 run which is like, the high point against which all final issues of extended runs shall be measured from now until the end of time.

quote:

...you don't have to walk

you can run

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everything Dark Days/New Age has been delayed.
The DC spin is to let retailers get advanced copies before order cut offs and to not come out in advance of certain delayed Metal plot points.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/08/dc-comics-delays-new-age-dc-heroes-2018/
James Tynion IV's Immortal Men goes from December 6th (edit: September in the original reveal) aaaaallllll the way to March 16th. Nothing to do with Jim Lee being the artist though, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 9, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

nofather posted:

I think Kalibak is just Darkseid's son, not one traded over.

Yes, Kalibak is the son of Darkseid and the witch Suli. Desaad later poisons her under orders of Darkseid's mother.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hickman writing for DC isn't an exodus, since it sounds like he doesn't want to be exclusive. I say let him write for both companies so he can do a stealth crossover with whatever he writes.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Revol posted:

Happy with this. Always thought Hickman's writing style better matched DC, as the universe is more mythic and the events larger scale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There have been stories from BC about Hickman joining DC for three or four years now. Don't get happy yet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Wild Storm was in its own universe separate from the DC universe, but Michael Cray #2 just had Green Arrow in it, and name drops Barry Allen at the end?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Roth posted:

I thought Wild Storm was in its own universe separate from the DC universe, but Michael Cray #2 just had Green Arrow in it, and name drops Barry Allen at the end?

It is its own universe, but just like other universes have their own Batmans and so forth, this one seems to have reflections of DC characters. The Oliver Queen in Wild Storm looks to have gone a bit crazy with his survivalness. He lures veterans and mercenaries into his private island to hunt them down with his archery and hunting skills. Michael Cray is sent to kill him. The first Wild Storm issues had apps from Kord Industries, news from the Daily Planet, a tv show called Martian Manhunter (seems to be about a party girl/martian woman, Dr Mid-Nite cigarettes, and at least one DC comic.

Queen actually does a fantastic job. It helps that Cray's powers are loving up (that feeling when your death touch destroys your gun) but Queen is pin-cushioning him with arrows by sound from behind distractions.

I admit the Michael Cray comics seem like a weird 'lets kill the DCU' meets Ultimate DC. Wild Storm is good, though.

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 9, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I figured that stuff was more just references and easter eggs than anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everything Dark Days/New Age has been delayed.
The DC spin is to let retailers get advanced copies before order cut offs and to not come out in advance of certain delayed Metal plot points.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/08/dc-comics-delays-new-age-dc-heroes-2018/
James Tynion IV's Immortal Men goes from December 6th (edit: September in the original reveal) aaaaallllll the way to March 16th. Nothing to do with Jim Lee being the artist though, right?

There was a big backlash on Marvel Now starting before Secret Wars was finished. DC is just trying to make Marvel look extra bad in light of all the terrible decisions they keep making. They did this with Mister Miracle. Normally we'd have ordered like 8-10 copies but based on that preview we ordered close to 50. Letting retailers read an entire issue before ordering is game changing and just keeps painting DC as the retail friendly publisher.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What was the general reaction back when Nora Fries became Lazara? That just sticks out in my mind as one of the dumbest things ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

What was the general reaction back when Nora Fries became Lazara? That just sticks out in my mind as one of the dumbest things ever.

Pretty much everyone called it dumb as hell.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Someone earlier asked what Marvel creators we'd like to see at DC, I'm too lazy and on mobile to look up who but my answer is the Kieron Gillen-Jamie McKelvie team. On the Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm heartbroken I'm not memkrable enough :(