Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Door Frame posted:

For a community made up of people who formed an identity around being bullied, harassed, and shunned, gamers sure are a bunch of lovely people who bully, harass, and shun others a lot. Furries might be weird and gross, but at least they seem to be a genuinely welcoming and accepting community of weirdos

Read about the 5 nerd fallacies. Basically when you form a group of people pushed out of other groups for being insufferable it just sort of forms this critical mass of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Panfilo posted:

Read about the 5 nerd fallacies. Basically when you form a group of people pushed out of other groups for being insufferable it just sort of forms this critical mass of assholes.

Critical Massholes. The lot of them.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

:wrongcity:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

For a community made up of people who formed an identity around being bullied, harassed, and shunned, gamers sure are a bunch of lovely people who bully, harass, and shun others a lot. Furries might be weird and gross, but at least they seem to be a genuinely welcoming and accepting community of weirdos

I think most people will bully someone given the chance. All the "fat people hate" people who go unbelivably far with going after fat people, these aren't well adjusted normal people, these are caved-in chested cystic-acned skinny nerds who were bullied their whole lives and now they wanna give what they got to someone lower on the social hierarchy than they think they are.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some kids that got pushed into lockers aren't upset they are getting bullied, they're upset they aren't in a position to be pushing other kids into lockers.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

zoux posted:

I think most people will bully someone given the chance. All the "fat people hate" people who go unbelivably far with going after fat people, these aren't well adjusted normal people, these are caved-in chested cystic-acned skinny nerds who were bullied their whole lives and now they wanna give what they got to someone lower on the social hierarchy than they think they are.

Yeah, people are hosed up. "This poo poo ruined my life, I can't wait to do it to someone else!"

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Lol Louis C.K. looking pretty AUG

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This is apparently the video that got r/incels nuked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk5_krEPfcM

How long can you last?

I got uncomfortable and scrolled down to read the comments. Somehow seeing dozens of people defending the guy grossed me out more than the video itself.

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

zoux posted:

My ex-girlfriend was posted in this very thread for being fat. It's really pathetic.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

My ex-girlfriend was posted in this very thread for being fat. It's really pathetic.

Dude

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

:randstare:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, best vanity emote

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somfin posted:

Holy poo poo, best vanity emote

No vanity, I didn't buy it, Sandwich Artist made and bought it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oh, incel dude. You aren't getting no dates because you're ugly. You're getting no dates because you think that video was a really good idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Oh, incel dude. You aren't getting no dates because you're ugly. You're getting no dates because you think that video was a really good idea.

The worst thing (for themselves) is that these dudes think they aren't experiencing romance with members of the opposite sex* because they're nice guys when in fact being a nice guy is very much something that will get you laid**

*) Or anyone; I'm not making any statements here.

**) Or into a relationship. People tend to like actually nice guys who knew!?!?!?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jerry Cotton posted:

The worst thing (for themselves) is that these dudes think they aren't experiencing romance with members of the opposite sex* because they're nice guys when in fact being a nice guy is very much something that will get you laid**

*) Or anyone; I'm not making any statements here.

**) Or into a relationship. People tend to like actually nice guys who knew!?!?!?

"If only that stupid bitch knew how nice I was. Instead she's a whore because she went for that guy who politely asked her out rather than asking me when I stalked her at work" - A Nice Guy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Door Frame posted:

Every furry community I've had the misfortune of being exposed to has been hilariously cliquey, extremely bigoted and every bit as hateful as other nerd subgroups like gamers. With the added persecution complex of being furries. The bulk of them tend to have a weird popularity system based entirely around worshipping whoever pays/produces the most for art of their fursona and thus agreeing with whatever batshit ideas that person might have. Nerds just tend to be terrible people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

"If only that stupid bitch knew how nice I was. Instead she's a whore because she went for that guy who politely asked her out rather than asking me when I stalked her at work" - A Nice Guy.

I tried to find that Fast Show bit with the "which was Nice" but I couldn't sorry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried to find that Fast Show bit with the "which was Nice" but I couldn't sorry.

This?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No no the one with Father Brown where the punch-line was always "which was nice" but in that one bit it was "which was Nice" as in Nizza.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

No vanity, I didn't buy it, Sandwich Artist made and bought it.

That makes it even better!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Door Frame posted:

My friend I was with you until the last sentence and then I sadly shook my head but I know you can improve, hopefully.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

My friend I was with you until the last sentence and then I sadly shook my head but I know you can improve, hopefully.

More like oldfurless

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the nerd/weirdo groups being arseholes thing:

I reckon its more a hugbox mentality. A simple YAY us, and BOO them issue, where us is everyone who identifies with our particular brand of weirdness/social isolation, and them is everyone else.

This breeds cliqueyness, which makes the group tighter knit, and more hostile to "outsiders". This cliqueyness turns into factions within the group, each claiming the other faction are really outsiders and not "true" whatever nerdy poo poo they identify as. Factionalism turns to drama, and drama leads to the bullying, shunning, and harassment of perceived difference.

All the while everyone involved will loudly claim that they are not like teh bullys and jocks that they initially were trying to getaway from.

But most importantly, I think nerds, (or gamers, or furries, or whatever), are arseholes that ruin everything they touch because if you base your entire personality and self image, and identity on one thing that you consume, (vidja games, comics, a cartoon, pretending to be a three tailed fox etc.), then you are a shallow, immature, and not well rounded person.

These are the arseholes who cannot tell the difference between "Hey Dave, I like you as a person, and think you are fun to hang out with, but you know that cartoon show you like? Well I don't think it is that good." and "Hey Dave, everything about you that you inherently hold dear is poo poo and worthless. I hate you and all you stand for." So yeah, it is not surprising that they get cliquey and bully-y.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the nerd/weirdo groups being arseholes thing:

I reckon its more a hugbox mentality. A simple YAY us, and BOO them issue, where us is everyone who identifies with our particular brand of weirdness/social isolation, and them is everyone else.

This breeds cliqueyness, which makes the group tighter knit, and more hostile to "outsiders". This cliqueyness turns into factions within the group, each claiming the other faction are really outsiders and not "true" whatever nerdy poo poo they identify as. Factionalism turns to drama, and drama leads to the bullying, shunning, and harassment of perceived difference.

All the while everyone involved will loudly claim that they are not like teh bullys and jocks that they initially were trying to getaway from.

But most importantly, I think nerds, (or gamers, or furries, or whatever), are arseholes that ruin everything they touch because if you base your entire personality and self image, and identity on one thing that you consume, (vidja games, comics, a cartoon, pretending to be a three tailed fox etc.), then you are a shallow, immature, and not well rounded person.

These are the arseholes who cannot tell the difference between "Hey Dave, I like you as a person, and think you are fun to hang out with, but you know that cartoon show you like? Well I don't think it is that good." and "Hey Dave, everything about you that you inherently hold dear is poo poo and worthless. I hate you and all you stand for." So yeah, it is not surprising that they get cliquey and bully-y.

Five Geek Social Fallacies was mentioned at the top of the page, but it describes what you're talking about.

Basically, nerd groups that traditionally include a lot of people outcast from normal society end up unwilling to criticize any members of that society for poor behavior, lest they be accused of being "bullies" or engaging in ostracization. This is why every nerd friend group has at least one member that practically everyone hates but nobody is willing to say "Get the gently caress out."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also a factor that people who are used to or perceive being bullied, shunned and oppressed are, naturally, on the defensive against outsiders, and soon come to overreact to any outside criticism or changes as a continuation of that bullying and oppression. Trying to call out bad behaviour within the group gets either shouted down as not important, or worse, a divide-and-conquer false flag/double standard imposed by outsiders.

It gets worse when you have different kinds of these groups interacting with each other, because then you end up with two bands of people assuming the other is hell-bent on harassing, abusing and silencing them, and thus there is to be no mercy shown in what they seen as defending themselves.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Well, I think we can all agree that the bullied kids are the real assholes. They should have killed themselves in primary school.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

The Door Frame posted:

why does this dog I spent the last ten years beating keep trying to bite people?? Welp, better shoot it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

why does this dog I spent the last ten years beating keep trying to bite people?? Welp, better shoot it.

Nice username/ post combo.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Hihohe posted:

Nice username/ post combo.

*holds ten year old boys head in toilet*

you know, if you'd just stop being so hostile to other people we could start to work on some of these problematic attitudes

*stomps on ten year old's arm, breaking it*

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically, nerd groups that traditionally include a lot of people outcast from normal society end up unwilling to criticize any members of that society for poor behavior, lest they be accused of being "bullies" or engaging in ostracization. This is why every nerd friend group has at least one member that practically everyone hates but nobody is willing to say "Get the gently caress out."

Too true on this. I used to belong to a pretty nerdy Trekkie heavy online creative writing group that was horrible with this. One of the members is exceptionally creepy, wrote a lot of questionable age stuff under the insistence of "but they're an old soul inside" and talking with other members on the side, no one wanted to write any collaborations with him or right out said they wouldn't want him around their kids, but the thought of actually booting him from the group was somehow unthinkable because he liked all the appropriate nerdy stuff. I knew my time with the group was going to be limited when we were bullshitting about our time in high school and I admitted I was pretty much a party girl who was out every weekend unless I had to study for a big test and everyone couldn't wrap their heads around someone who fit their definition of popular actually liking nerdly stuff. The guy who admitted he was on the football team caught the same flack. I ended up leaving the group when we were discussing writing in a cartoon style theme and some were wanting to write MLP stuff. Some of the group had reservations because of how sexualized the bronys have made it and drat if the two pushing for MLP in the group kicked up a fuss about people having issues with it and refusing to even concede that there were valid concerns being brought up. It was my "I'm done with this" moment after too much nerdlier than thou bs over the years.

Looking back, a good chunk of that group were pretty broken people.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

M_Sinistrari posted:

Too true on this. I used to belong to a pretty nerdy Trekkie heavy online creative writing group that was horrible with this. One of the members is exceptionally creepy, wrote a lot of questionable age stuff under the insistence of "but they're an old soul inside" and talking with other members on the side, no one wanted to write any collaborations with him or right out said they wouldn't want him around their kids, but the thought of actually booting him from the group was somehow unthinkable because he liked all the appropriate nerdy stuff. I knew my time with the group was going to be limited when we were bullshitting about our time in high school and I admitted I was pretty much a party girl who was out every weekend unless I had to study for a big test and everyone couldn't wrap their heads around someone who fit their definition of popular actually liking nerdly stuff. The guy who admitted he was on the football team caught the same flack. I ended up leaving the group when we were discussing writing in a cartoon style theme and some were wanting to write MLP stuff. Some of the group had reservations because of how sexualized the bronys have made it and drat if the two pushing for MLP in the group kicked up a fuss about people having issues with it and refusing to even concede that there were valid concerns being brought up. It was my "I'm done with this" moment after too much nerdlier than thou bs over the years.

Looking back, a good chunk of that group were pretty broken people.

*girl laughing and watching boy being beaten*

your weak efforts to defend yourself just go to show what a misogynist you are

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

zoux posted:

Here's some more wholesome cringe that should just make you roll your eyes right out of your head rather than die of embarrassment.

https://twitter.com/lamebrain/status/924404196878807040

These were really sweet thanks for sharing :3

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Well, I think we can all agree that the bullied kids are the real assholes.

It’s this, actually.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Comrade Koba posted:

It’s this, actually.

haha I just realized what loving thread I was posting in.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I guess the people that are harassed and offended by people who were bullied when they were young just dont matter either.

Suck my balls you idiot.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Hihohe posted:

I guess the people that are harassed and offended by people who were bullied when they were young just dont matter either.

Suck my balls you idiot.

yeah i'm sure you're totally sympathetic for them lol

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

yeah i'm sure you're totally sympathetic for them lol

Why are you even in this thread, if it sets you off that badly? Just, like, go outside and fly a kite, man.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

He's always salty. Probably a PCOS Bill alt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why are you even in this thread, if it sets you off that badly? Just, like, go outside and fly a kite, man.

go gently caress yourself :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread