Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
It's pure happenstance Deckard survives K's air to air attack. Killing or saving Deckard achieves the same goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
How can y'all even tell what happens in the air at the end? Just looked like a car wreck in the rain with poor visibility. It looked like there was a missile fired or something to take out one of the other cars but I think he just rammed them?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Featurette on the minature work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxxbfsj8IM

Wallace Corp's tower was supposed to be 3 km tall!

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

revwinnebago posted:

People who use the f-word suffer from a problem of thinking it's the only valid lens through which to view subjects. It's not even a good lens, nor a helpful one. 2049 harkens back to older science fiction. One major points of this sort of futurism is that this barren, dying, stark, cold world is only populated by men and/or men's fantasies. The only hints of life, humanity, and hope happen in close proximity to women. If you end up thinking that's anti-female, you are a dipshit. I'm sorry for your loss. This narrative can't be tackled very well at all by the modern feminist lens, that's true. Which means your feminist lens is the wrong one. Try another.

feminist analysis is bad... because it might tell you that your work treats women poorly. also, pretty funny this word "anti-female", a meaningless word i've only seen used by the golden one.

edit: also lmao at your ability to interpret the movie in such a ludicrously sexist light. seriously? what you took away is that women existing to satisfy male fantasies as a sole reason is good? and moreover, that the movie would actually champion that viewpoint rather than subvert in ways you're too stupid to pick up?

i mean, if you love your lovely reactionary take on the movie, that's fine, but it's a bit much to be dismissing feminist analysis, no? especially considering your piss-poor knowledge of the subject matter.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 9, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cacator posted:

Featurette on the minature work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxxbfsj8IM

Wallace Corp's tower was supposed to be 3 km tall!

God drat practical effects are so amazing.

Weta is the best there ever was.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

quote:

People who use the f-word suffer from a problem of thinking it's the only valid lens through which to view subjects. It's not even a good lens, nor a helpful one. 2049 harkens back to older science fiction. One major points of this sort of futurism is that this barren, dying, stark, cold world is only populated by men and/or men's fantasies. The only hints of life, humanity, and hope happen in close proximity to women. If you end up thinking that's anti-female, you are a dipshit. I'm sorry for your loss. This narrative can't be tackled very well at all by the modern feminist lens, that's true. Which means your feminist lens is the wrong one. Try another.

"this barren, dying, stark, cold world is only populated by men and/or men's fantasies. The only hints of life, humanity, and hope happen in close proximity to women. If you end up thinking that's anti-female, you are a dipshit."

A large portion of feminism is about how men's fantasies that women are "the only hints of life, humanity, and hope" is not a good thing because it dehumanizes women and makes them more like some sort of symbol or object of desire, instead of just being as human as men are.

This is like saying "Some people have criticisms about the way Blade Runner uses exotic cultures and languages to create an oppressive atmosphere. That's pretty stupid because the whole point is that the Asians are becoming more powerful than white people. If you think that's xenophobia then you are a dipshit."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cephas posted:

I think it's kind of funny that some people think BR:2049 is shallow and relies on aesthetics and worldbuilding, because I disliked the original Blade Runner for those reasons.

I never vibed with the first movie for this exact reason, until realizing that's what I (and everybody else) liked about that movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm not sure how I feel about Wallace, he almost seems superfluous, but maybe that's kinda the point - the specific "villain" doesn't matter since capitalism will always make more. Tyrell dead so what, you just get another greed freak with slightly different pretensions of godhood.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
JOI is fake

but then again she is written as a real person, with jealousy etc, so im confused a bit.
It would be a lot easier if there were more cracks in her facade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wild Horses posted:

JOI is fake

but then again she is written as a real person, with jealousy etc, so im confused a bit.
It would be a lot easier if there were more cracks in her facade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suspect your confusion is intentional.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
No I mean the more that I think about it, the more her depiction doesn't make sense to me.
Her being a soulless method of mass control would be easier to accept if they skipped her many character building scenes

It'd be easier to make a judgement if they went one way or the other

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wild Horses posted:

No I mean the more that I think about it, the more her depiction doesn't make sense to me.
Her being a soulless method of mass control would be easier to accept if they skipped her many character building scenes

It'd be easier to make a judgement if they went one way or the other

I really like this movie a lot

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

sean10mm posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Wallace, he almost seems superfluous, but maybe that's kinda the point - the specific "villain" doesn't matter since capitalism will always make more. Tyrell dead so what, you just get another greed freak with slightly different pretensions of godhood.

I think that Wallace being a superfluous and useless fool sort of makes sense, yeah, though I do think Tyrell specifically was important. When you compare him to Tyrell, it's very obvious that Tyrell was an immensely important figure who innovated and created a massive amount of things; Wallace never really created much of anything. He just took Tyrell's achievements, copied them poorly, then put a shiny brand on it. You can see these things by comparing what they made; the greatest achievement of the older villain was(Albeit retroactively put in)a truly humanistic replicant who could have children, something Wallace is desperate for but just not good enough to get. Even Roy Batty stands tall over K and Luv, in my opinion, narratively and physically, though they're both obviously meant to be similar in some ways.

I also really liked Turkel's performance, because Turkel is good and Leto is bad, so that reinforces me feeling like Wallace is a watered down nothing in comparison.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I didn't mind Wallace, but I think they made him a bit too weird. He feels a bit like a Joss Whedon character and is out of place compared to the fairly grounded rest of the cast.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blade Runner posted:

I think that Wallace being a superfluous and useless fool sort of makes sense, yeah, though I do think Tyrell specifically was important. When you compare him to Tyrell, it's very obvious that Tyrell was an immensely important figure who innovated and created a massive amount of things; Wallace never really created much of anything. He just took Tyrell's achievements, copied them poorly, then put a shiny brand on it.

So Wallace is Steve Jobs?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

Glad I'm not the only one to make that conclusion. :v:

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

Honestly, yeah, I feel like that's what they were going for. A modern day "Tech guy" archetype who is pretty much just a normal CEO who uses trendy words and dresses funnily, but has no knowledge of his product beyond what he wants it to do for him. He was all style but no real substance, compared to Tyrell who wore dorky glasses and was comparatively soft-spoken, but who was also by far one of the most intelligent people in the film. I got the feeling that Wallace had no actual knowledge of biomechanics; he was an MBA compared to Tyrell's biomedical doctorate.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

So after rewatching Ghost in the Shell(2017) and gotta say it's the superior movie in handling what are some obvious similar themes - past-life memories as an abstract intrusion etc. Another weird point where things start breaking down in 2049 is how Joi speaks or how she's heard.

In Joe's apartment it makes sense that he'd have some kind of surround sound or whatever that can project Joi's voice for her, but with the eminator things start breaking down. Where the mobile device starts projecting her voice through the projection - this leads to strange dead ends and kinda dumb to think about, but there it is and that’s the problem with it.

Yeah of course it's a necessary aspect of filmmaking that an actor plays the role and whatever, but it's just another thing that doesn't seem thought through in favour of cute naming conventions - again it comes back to Joi is more genie in a bottle than a brain in a jar.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2017

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

DARPA posted:

It's pure happenstance Deckard survives K's air to air attack. Killing or saving Deckard achieves the same goal.

During the film whenever we see K indulging in acts of violence (outside his loss of control when discovering his ‘real’ memories) he is inhumanly precise and deliberate, why would you think Deckard’s survival and the other two vehicles total destruction would be accidental?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we ever see K miss.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

brawleh posted:

So after rewatching Ghost in the Shell(2017) and gotta say it's the superior movie in handling what are some obvious similar themes - past-life memories as an abstract intrusion etc. Another weird point where things start breaking down in 2049 is how Joi speaks or how she's heard.

In Joe's apartment it makes sense that he'd have some kind of surround sound or whatever that can project Joi's voice for her, but with the eminator things start breaking down. Where the mobile device starts projecting her voice through the projection - this leads to strange dead ends and kinda dumb to think about, but there it is and that’s the problem with it.

Yeah of course it's a necessary aspect of filmmaking that an actor plays the role and whatever, but it's just another thing that doesn't seem thought through in favour of cute naming conventions - again it comes back to Joi is more genie in a bottle than a brain in a jar.

The specificity of 'how does this tech work' in a science fiction film seems kinda silly

The emitter does some presto magic-o sci-fi ventriloquism, easy. As for in what way that works exactly, it seems a bit weird to dwell on. The specifics of the technology isn't really what the film is about.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I don't think we ever see K miss.

he has a built in aimbot.exe

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Blade Runner posted:

The specificity of 'how does this tech work' in a science fiction film seems kinda silly

The emitter does some presto magic-o sci-fi ventriloquism, easy. As for in what way that works exactly, it seems a bit weird to dwell on. The specifics of the technology isn't really what the film is about.

If the internet's taught me anything, it's that folks can have some pretty disparate expectations of how science fiction approaches its story and its world. I'm definitely in the camp of not caring how the doodad works because it's all a big metaphor anyway, but for some it seems to be the source of the entertainment.

What I'm getting at is that I'm trying to be a better person and appreciate others' terrible, wrongheaded perspectives on movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Due to how sound works, being able to make sound seem like it's coming from a different place than it is seems hugely more plausible than being able to make light seem like it's emitted from some place it's not.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

Blade Runner posted:

It's not so much wondering only about the specifics of the technology, but the form of how "everything you want to hear-see" is presented within the movie - which leads to thinking about the technology's presentation. The simple question, shouldn't we hear Joi's voice from the mobile device when she speaks? Simply goes back to the de-emphasis placed upon Joi's physical body within the movie itself. Like the crash scene that has Joi emitting sound from outside the car. Yeah it's pure fantasy, but again it re-enforces the strange omniscience of Joi.

Tangentially related, the last scene with Joi as a neon giantess, where Joe see's Joi for the first time free from the subjective violence of his particular "everything you want to see-hear" is worth repeating.

Rather than address the systemic objective violence that places her back within the billboard this violence is simply de-emphasised and left hanging. The presentation is one where Joe internalizes the encounter as a form of subjective violence from a Joi - the casual indifferent humiliation. 2049 just strangely comes across as a utopian-fantasy, In the sense of liberal-utopianism thinking which is squarely rooted in belief that things can't change - rather that it's unimaginable. SMG’s earlier point where ‘woman’ in the abstract that is simply squashed left implicit it’s missing “forever.”

brawleh fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blade Runner posted:

No, specifics are actually very important - especially in a fantasy film. Even in Star Wars, Luke needs a ship with a big engine before he can ‘jump to hyperspace’.

For example: this entire film hinges on Joseph‘s absolute conviction that the furnace memory was something that he, personally, experienced. This conviction is based on two ‘facts’: that his memory is a product of actual human experience, and that directly copying human memories is illegal. From this, Joseph concludes he is a product of childbirth (before the twist reveals that the memory was actually an artistic interpretation of a childhood and therefore technically not illegal).

However: Joseph, bizarrely, never considers the third possibility: that his memories may have been illegally copied. He should be full of the same doubt and uncertainty as Deckard in Blade 1.

It’s an extremely weird omission, given that the first film is all about how Rachel’s memories were copied directly from Tyrell’s niece. And if Joseph believes that he’s human, he should consequently believe that all of his memories are real. Why not get Stelline to check some of the other ones? Joseph’s artificial backstory must be remarkably elaborate, remarkably coherent, and contain nothing that contradicts the ‘I’m a messiah’ theory.

The issue with Joi’s speech is less that it makes no sense, and more that there are too many senses in which it can be understood.

Like I wrote before, the best explanation for Joseph’s ability to see and hear Joi is that he is wearing extremely discrete contact lenses and headphones. But the second, less satisfactory explanation is that the emitters somehow beam this information directly into his mind - not hugely implausible in this film given that the underfunded LAPD has non-invasive tech that can track the firing of individual synapses, and a Stelline can directly read people’s thoughts using a scanner the size of a microwave oven. And then, this second explanation opens a can of worms, because there’s nothing stopping the phone from also broadcasting tactile feelings into Joseph’s mind. So not only should Joi be able to feel Joseph, they should both be able to touch eachother.... (And, this again makes Wallace’s drones hopelessly primitive. He has to actually physically plug individual USBs into his neck in order to switch between vision modes.)

Then, you also have third option: that Joi ‘actually is’ a normal flesh-and blood human woman, and what we see in the film are various metaphors for the dysfunction of the relationship (she’s clingy, he’s emotionally distant, the sex isn’t good...). This is closely related to the fourth and probably-weakest option: that Joi is purely Joseph’s fantasy, based on the advertisements he drives past every day.

These explanations are all equally (in)valid. Each one has vastly different implications for how the narrative is to be understood.

Xealot posted:

"Advanced" or "nuanced"?

Advanced.

Your response to my post is a sort of odd non-sequitur where you mix bizarre phraseology like ‘anticapitalism is the perspective that consumption leads to decay’(?) with untenable points like that the film is anticapitalist because the evil CEO (as in half the libertarian Disney-Marvel films) is also a wannabe pharoah (as in another half of the libertarian Disney-Marvel films). This is another example of why specificity is important.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 11, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

brawleh posted:

So after rewatching Ghost in the Shell(2017) and gotta say it's the superior movie

I'm sorry.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, specifics are actually very important - especially in a fantasy film. Even in Star Wars, Luke needs a ship with a big engine before he can ‘jump to hyperspace’.

For example: this entire film hinges on Joseph‘s absolute conviction that the furnace memory was something that he, personally, experienced. This conviction is based on two ‘facts’: that his memory is a product of actual human experience, and that directly copying human memories is illegal. From this, Joseph concludes he is a product of childbirth (before the twist reveals that the memory was actually an artistic interpretation of a childhood and therefore technically not illegal).

However: Joseph, bizarrely, never considers the third possibility: that his memories may have been illegally copied. He should be full of the same doubt and uncertainty as Deckard in Blade 1.

I don't think he wants to consider that possibility. Keep in mind that Joe's life consists of hunting down and murdering replicants. He doesn't really seem to be having a good time, but he's been conditioned to obey and believes that he must do so. However if he's born and "has a soul" then he is free to choose his own life. The fact that JOI encourages this thinking reinforces this too- she's telling him what he wants to hear. Of course Joe is not really special in the end- but the point is he doesn't have to be a slave because of this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

While I don't think the live action GitS is better than BR2049, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I see it as an interesting and worthwhile companion to the anime version (similar to how I view the Stand Alone Complex stuff), rather than an adaptation or a remake.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If the internet's taught me anything, it's that folks can have some pretty disparate expectations of how science fiction approaches its story and its world. I'm definitely in the camp of not caring how the doodad works because it's all a big metaphor anyway, but for some it seems to be the source of the entertainment.

Normally I wouldn't care to speculate how sci-fi technology actually works (because, of course, it doesn't), but in the case of this film its relevant because the technology is also a main character.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
GiTs could’ve worked with a more visually ambitious director. The limp and uninspired directing just sank that movie. What a waste.

Oh well, we still got the anime

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lord Krangdar posted:

Normally I wouldn't care to speculate how sci-fi technology actually works (because, of course, it doesn't), but in the case of this film its relevant because the technology is also a main character.

In the film you see it working, that's all you need. To turn around and say "it couldn't work" is not relevant.

Take the example of a laser sword lightsabre, there is no way they should work but who cares.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Super Fan posted:

GiTs could’ve worked with a more visually ambitious director. The limp and uninspired directing just sank that movie. What a waste.

Oh well, we still got the anime

I dunno, I thought the movie looked gorgeous and visually interesting as a plausible cyberpunk world without just copying "Blade Runner" or even straight copying, say, Johnny Mnemonic.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

It's simply the better movie, it doesn't have the strange open ended story ambiguities that get in the way of effective storytelling. 2049 is undoubtedly beautifully shot and something everyone loves about it, but the uncertainty in the handling of Joi’s presentation leads to a strange uncertainty in the story being told.

With both treading very similar thematic waters and coming out within the same year it's worth mentioning for the stark ideological contrasts between them and hell, they’re both good looking movies.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 11, 2017

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Just got back from watching 2049 and I'm pretty blown away. Stupid question though: In Vegas after Deckerd gets hauled off, why didn't the kill K. They just didn't need to? Or am I missing something obvious?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s an extremely weird omission, given that the first film is all about how Rachel’s memories were copied directly from Tyrell’s niece. And if Joseph believes that he’s human, he should consequently believe that all of his memories are real. Why not get Stelline to check some of the other ones? Joseph’s artificial backstory must be remarkably elaborate, remarkably coherent, and contain nothing that contradicts the ‘I’m a messiah’ theory.

The issue with Joi’s speech is less that it makes no sense, and more that there are too many senses in which it can be understood.

Like I wrote before, the best explanation for Joseph’s ability to see and hear Joi is that he is wearing extremely discrete contact lenses and headphones. But the second, less satisfactory explanation is that the emitters somehow beam this information directly into his mind - not hugely implausible in this film given that the underfunded LAPD has non-invasive tech that can track the firing of individual synapses, and a Stelline can directly read people’s thoughts using a scanner the size of a microwave oven. And then, this second explanation opens a can of worms, because there’s nothing stopping the phone from also broadcasting tactile feelings into Joseph’s mind. So not only should Joi be able to feel Joseph, they should both be able to touch eachother.... (And, this again makes Wallace’s drones hopelessly primitive. He has to actually physically plug individual USBs into his neck in order to switch between vision modes.)

Then, you also have third option: that Joi ‘actually is’ a normal flesh-and blood human woman, and what we see in the film are various metaphors for the dysfunction of the relationship (she’s clingy, he’s emotionally distant, the sex isn’t good...). This is closely related to the fourth and probably-weakest option: that Joi is purely Joseph’s fantasy, based on the advertisements he drives past every day.

These explanations are all equally (in)valid. Each one has vastly different implications for how the narrative is to be understood.

Advanced.

Your response to my post is a sort of odd non-sequitur where you mix bizarre phraseology like ‘anticapitalism is the perspective that consumption leads to decay’(?) with untenable points like that the film is anticapitalist because the evil CEO (as in half the libertarian Disney-Marvel films) is also a wannabe pharoah (as in another half of the libertarian Disney-Marvel films). This is another example of why specificity is important.

Oh boy here I go quoting a Super Mecha Godzilla post

Anyway, the fact that K never considers the third possibility actually works well for me, because it's a very human act; I spoke about this earlier in the thread, actually. Him having been the child makes literally no sense whatsoever, and with how intelligent and capable he is in the rest of the film, he should realize that. However, he doesn't, and that's not an inconsistency, it's him wanting to be special and believing it irrationally in spite of the fact that it doesn't make sense. K is efficient and precise with a massive amount of what he does, but he very obviously constructed a narrative and ignored what didn't fit into it; this is his most human act, in my opinion, and does a lot to show that he's not just a machine.

The explanation for the tech doesn't have to be nearly that in depth. It works because it works and this is science fiction. She can be seen and heard but not felt, and is, in essence, a ghost. The technological manner in which this is achieved just doesn't seem that important to me.

bollig posted:

Just got back from watching 2049 and I'm pretty blown away. Stupid question though: In Vegas after Deckerd gets hauled off, why didn't the kill K. They just didn't need to? Or am I missing something obvious?

My personal thoughts on it were just that Luv likes him and didn't want to kill him. She has a lot of stuff going on in her character, obviously likes him, and the other people with her obviously just want to get the gently caress out of there. I don't find it unrealistic that she just wouldn't bother killing him, or would hesitate enough that she'd end up just leaving.

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 11, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

starkebn posted:

In the film you see it working, that's all you need. To turn around and say "it couldn't work" is not relevant.

Take the example of a laser sword lightsabre, there is no way they should work but who cares.

How is that a reply to what I said? I already agreed normally, like in the case of the lightsabre, it doesn't matter. I already said it only matters in this case because Joi is a character.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Lord Krangdar posted:

How is that a reply to what I said? I already agreed normally, like in the case of the lightsabre, it doesn't matter. I already said it only matters in this case because Joi is a character.

I would say it's because the technology of the item itself, even if it's a character, is unimportant to the overall narrative. It is not important that we know exactly how Daneel Olivaw's power matrix works. Or, for a more direct/relevant example, how exactly the markings on Roy Batty's body allow him to interface with his armored suit. We know that these things exist, but the actual hard facts of them just aren't really important; Joi's emitter is essentially a token that summons a spirit which is mostly disconnected from it. If it is broken, she is destroyed. You can see it as basically a form of magic. This is fine for the story.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Blade Runner posted:

My personal thoughts on it were just that Luv likes him and didn't want to kill him. She has a lot of stuff going on in her character, obviously likes him, and the other people with her obviously just want to get the gently caress out of there. I don't find it unrealistic that she just wouldn't bother killing him, or would hesitate enough that she'd end up just leaving.

Yeah like she wasn't ordered to do it so why do it. Cool thanks. One of the weirdest leaps of logic, for me, with this film is having to think of replicants as characters. Which exposes my deep seeded anti-replicant prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How about:

JOI isn't a hologram. It's a nanomachine cloud. There are objects with mass that exist within the projection; they're just very small.

There's some question during the rooftop scene if the JOI program is tracking and projecting raindrops or if less-dense substances like water can interact physically with her/its (I guess the right pronoun depends on how you interpret JOIs nature) 'skin'.

?

• Locked thread