Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

PS: I'll be bugging you guys with DAC/AMP questions soon, so apologies about that. :v:
I'd say right off the bat that the O2/Odac combo are more than enough for most headphones unless you're feeling extra audiophilic. And if you've never had a headphone amp before, it's a really good place to start. You can get them quite cheap used.

Passburger fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Apologies for the double post, but I'm still balancing my options. How dumb would it be to grab a pair of HD600 now and get a schiit stack down the line (in like a year probably) if the only thing I have to drive them is a FiiO e10k? And my pc's (onboard) sound card I guess?

That’s pretty much what I’ve done and they still sound really good with a lower end amp. I have run into the problem of wanting a balanced amp since the senns support it but that’s a good amount more cost over the schist stack

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

Hi guys,

My Soundmagic E10's went all funky so I need new earphones. What are the hot budget ones this year?

Budget - around £50.
Source - My ipod nano mostly, or my phone.
Isolation Requirements - Not a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear/earbud types.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bring me the bass (but not in a poo poo way)
Past Headphones - Soundmagic e10, yuin pk2. They seemed to have good bass and sound for the price.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal music
Mic/controls - Don't want/need one.

Any recommendations are appreciated, I don't really know where to start! I may just get the same pair again, but this may be a chance to get something slightly better.

I’d look into whatever is being recommended in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-sub-100-chinese-earphones-hidden-gems-best-deals-and-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

I have the Tennmak Pro and they sound like a good fit for what you’re looking for, my brother has the Tennmak Pianos, less bassy but probably more accurate.

For something lighter and more comfortable but still pretty punchy I also like the LZ-Z03A. All of my recommendations have probably been replaced with newer and maybe cheaper options now by the people that follow the ChiFi scene more closely.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Jealous. I ordered late July so I have another few weeks of waiting.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I bought some 569s and with the shorter cord I was plugging them into the headphone jack on my monitor (because my desktop computer is too far away) and I find they sound dramatically better on my phone than on my computer, so what I'm wondering is what's my best option to have something coming from my desktop to the top of my desk for my headphones to plug in to that maybe has a nice little volume knob too?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tsyni posted:

So I bought some 569s and with the shorter cord I was plugging them into the headphone jack on my monitor (because my desktop computer is too far away) and I find they sound dramatically better on my phone than on my computer, so what I'm wondering is what's my best option to have something coming from my desktop to the top of my desk for my headphones to plug in to that maybe has a nice little volume knob too?

http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-2
?

This is also good:
http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

Lube banjo posted:

That’s pretty much what I’ve done and they still sound really good with a lower end amp. I have run into the problem of wanting a balanced amp since the senns support it but that’s a good amount more cost over the schist stack

Honestly, unless you have STUPIDLY long headphone cables. It doesn't make a difference using the balanced over a single ended output.

e: that is my opinion, not scientific fact.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Lube banjo posted:

Is it worth it? My monitors support it too so I've been thinking about it. Looks like an expensive option though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Holy gently caress these are seriously good, and that's just coming straight out of my work PC's headphone jack.
I can't wait to get them home and plug them into my amp.

There is a ridiculous amount of clamping force, and I like it. It's like being swaddled like a baby.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ughhhh posted:

Philips SHP9500S for $51 dollars on newegg right now. Thats a good deal for a daily use PC headphones right?

Also thanks for this, that looks like a pretty good deal since my second pair of Sennheiser HD280s kicked it in the same way as the first. Almost certainly better than the weird overly bass-y $40ish Sony headphones I got when the first pair bought it. I think I can probably fix the Sennheisers (looks like just a lovely solder joint, I know more about that stuff than when the first kicked it) because testing shows the speakers are both intact and there's continuity across the whole wire between the two speakers but I'm too drat lazy to burn away the annoying "covers each tiny strand of wire" insulation :effort:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

Is it worth it? My monitors support it too so I've been thinking about it. Looks like an expensive option though.

Not sure, I think the best bet would be to find a place that has one and bring my 650s in there to test before committing. Where that is I do not know

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are there any modifications or additions I can buy to make the sennheissr hd280s more comfortable or sound better? I've had mine for nearly 7~8 years now (lost the top band soft cover, ear pads are worn and gone etc).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ughhhh posted:

Are there any modifications or additions I can buy to make the sennheissr hd280s more comfortable or sound better? I've had mine for nearly 7~8 years now (lost the top band soft cover, ear pads are worn and gone etc).

I mean... yes? I've had some really gnarly headphones that I just needed to make work. My fave headband fix is a thick wool sock slipped over the headband and doubled back on itself. Pantyhose over the ear cups to keep the poo poo that's falling off from getting in your ears.
But if you're more handy you could pull the pads and stitch your own or just google some replacements.

Edit: by the way the Massdrop Sennheiser 6xx are stupid good. I can't believe they're only $200 they're literally just as good as the 650's my buddy paid twice as much for like 8 months ago.

The HD6xx have some incredibly punchy and tight bass.
So much so that my X2's seems slow and unbalanced. The HD6xx reach surprisingly deep but don't quite have the same fullness of bass that the x2's have.
But honestly they're just so goddamn precise and clear sounding that idgaf.

Please heed the following examples, and pardon the bitrate.

https://soundcloud.com/chromeo/fancy-footwork-mr-carmack

https://soundcloud.com/elgusofficial/missy-elliot-4-my-people-elgus-edit

oh gently caress.
https://soundcloud.com/user-576793900/sometin-other-than

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 10, 2017

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

trem_two posted:

I’d look into whatever is being recommended in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-sub-100-chinese-earphones-hidden-gems-best-deals-and-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

I have the Tennmak Pro and they sound like a good fit for what you’re looking for, my brother has the Tennmak Pianos, less bassy but probably more accurate.

For something lighter and more comfortable but still pretty punchy I also like the LZ-Z03A. All of my recommendations have probably been replaced with newer and maybe cheaper options now by the people that follow the ChiFi scene more closely.

Thanks for this. I will have a look around, although they don't seem that prevalent here in the UK.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Looking at upgrading my ok Chinese "Bohm" over the ear Bluetooth/noise cancelling headphones, and I could use some advice. Currently I'm looking at the Sony MDR-1000x or the Bose QC-35 headphones. I got to try the Bose ones from a co-worker and the difference in what I have now is amazing, but I keep reading that the Sony ones are better on the googler.

Is there a consensus on that, or is there something else I should be considering altogether? Thanks in advance!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Looking at upgrading my ok Chinese "Bohm" over the ear Bluetooth/noise cancelling headphones, and I could use some advice. Currently I'm looking at the Sony MDR-1000x or the Bose QC-35 headphones. I got to try the Bose ones from a co-worker and the difference in what I have now is amazing, but I keep reading that the Sony ones are better on the googler.

Is there a consensus on that, or is there something else I should be considering altogether? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if they fixed it yet but there was a pretty glaring issue with the Sony headband where it was cracking but Sony told people to go pound sand. Maybe it's fixed now? Anyway something to keep in mind. Otherwise the Sony's are supposed to be better sound quality.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Hi thread, I need some guidance on getting some new IEMs. I listen to a lot of podcasts/audiobooks as well as music, and as such I've always rolled around with a decent pair of headphones + apple earbuds. I never listen to music on the earbuds if I can possibly help it, but for commuting and the spoken stuff they're fine. I'm traveling a bunch in the next few months and I'd like to find a pair of IEMs that will do both.

Budget - probably tops out at $120 or so.
Source - Phone or computer.
Isolation Requirements - don't really care, but at a reasonable volume I'd like to be able to use them on a plane.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Emphasis on low mids? not bass thumpers, but warm and not shrill.
Past Headphones - Music anywhere but my desk are my PortaPros. They are perfect and I love the way they sound (see above). Daily at-work headphones are ATX-M50s.
Preferred Music - Just about everything
Mic/controls - Three button remote with mic preferred.

Head-Fi is proving to be overwhelming. I'm not a supreme audiophile nerd but I make music and listen constantly so I'm probably more discerning than average. I realize that almost anything will be better than the apple earbuds, but I'd like to spend a bit so durability (decent case) and flexibility (tips incl) would be awesome. Points for style, but comfort is more important.

Thanks!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Hi thread, I need some guidance on getting some new IEMs. I listen to a lot of podcasts/audiobooks as well as music, and as such I've always rolled around with a decent pair of headphones + apple earbuds. I never listen to music on the earbuds if I can possibly help it, but for commuting and the spoken stuff they're fine. I'm traveling a bunch in the next few months and I'd like to find a pair of IEMs that will do both.

Budget - probably tops out at $120 or so.
Source - Phone or computer.
Isolation Requirements - don't really care, but at a reasonable volume I'd like to be able to use them on a plane.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Emphasis on low mids? not bass thumpers, but warm and not shrill.
Past Headphones - Music anywhere but my desk are my PortaPros. They are perfect and I love the way they sound (see above). Daily at-work headphones are ATX-M50s.
Preferred Music - Just about everything
Mic/controls - Three button remote with mic preferred.

Head-Fi is proving to be overwhelming. I'm not a supreme audiophile nerd but I make music and listen constantly so I'm probably more discerning than average. I realize that almost anything will be better than the apple earbuds, but I'd like to spend a bit so durability (decent case) and flexibility (tips incl) would be awesome. Points for style, but comfort is more important.

Thanks!

RHA MA750 or Pioneer CH9T. The RHAs will probably be really similar to to your Portapros and have great build quality. The Pioneers are probably a bit better technically and have a removable cable, but are a little more treble-focused than your existing headphones.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Can I ask about gaming headphones in this thread? Or is there some other thread for that topic? I checked Games and did not see one.

Was going to ask about the Razor Man O'War Wireless 7.1 headset, retails for $144.00.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPS4QQ2/ref=psdc_172487_t1_B007CS9WYI?th=1

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nnnotime posted:

Can I ask about gaming headphones in this thread? Or is there some other thread for that topic? I checked Games and did not see one.

Was going to ask about the Razor Man O'War Wireless 7.1 headset, retails for $144.00.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPS4QQ2/ref=psdc_172487_t1_B007CS9WYI?th=1

General rule of thumb for gaming headsets is: you're paying for features like virtual surround sound, an embedded DAC and maybe some RGB lighting, rather than quality drivers and sturdiness. The surround can be imitated by any other headset via software.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
General advice is get normal headphones and a lapel mic. That's what I do, I run the headphones through my DAC and plug the mic directly into the front mic port on the PC.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really wish bluetooth earbuds would use usb type c to charge so I I wouldn't have to bring a separate charger for them. I don't think i've been able to find a single one that uses type c.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lube banjo posted:

General rule of thumb for gaming headsets is: you're paying for features like virtual surround sound, an embedded DAC and maybe some RGB lighting, rather than quality drivers and sturdiness. The surround can be imitated by any other headset via software.

Interesting. Always knew they were a ripoff but it's good to know why exactly.

So if I got a DAC and downloaded some software that would be much better right? Which options do I have on both areas?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

Interesting. Always knew they were a ripoff but it's good to know why exactly.

So if I got a DAC and downloaded some software that would be much better right? Which options do I have on both areas?

You'll have to explain what you need, what you have and your listening preferences.

Right now I'd assume you need DAC, headphones and mic with a budget of $144

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I don't need anything really, nor am I looking to make a purchase. I'm just interested is all

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

Dolby atmos is ~$10 in the windows store if you want similar results to the "7.1 surround sound" that a lot of headphones provide. Windows 10 even has a built-in spatial sound setting Windows Sonic.

For DACs you can go with ~$7 USB soundcards with mic/headphone port, all the way up to $xxxxxx if you want to spend that much

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jealous, I ordered in the first batch but they haven't shipped yet. I kind of feel like Massdrop should've just kept quiet instead of saying "oh yeah if you bought in the first wave, they'll be shipping next week" 3 weeks ago.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I am looking to upgrade my earbuds but I am very picky because I've only ever found one pair that I can stand for more than an hour - these sony earbuds that curve around. I don't even remember the model number for this - bought them at best buy years ago

I've tried several other types, like Symphonized NRG 2.0 Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones and normal headphones but they just aren't as comfortable. Can someone recommend a super comfortable pair? My budget is $200 tops. I mostly listen to drum and bass, synthwave, and trip hop.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really wish bluetooth earbuds would use usb type c to charge so I I wouldn't have to bring a separate charger for them. I don't think i've been able to find a single one that uses type c.

It's seriously so nice just using one cord. I use BeatsX now, and an iPhone, so they're both lightning. It's really a nicer feature than I even expected.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm definitely not jealous of my headphone friends with their HD 6XX.

Another month and change until the HifiMan HE 4XX ships

:negative:

I knew what I signed up for, but past me is an rear end in a top hat and I blame him. Luckily I found my iPad can drive the AKG 7XX just wonderfully, so that's nice.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I'm looking to replace my JVC HA-RX700's after seven years of faithful service (they still work and sound fine, but the cable has been finicky for years and the pads - already replaced once - are about to die again). I bought a pair of dirt cheap Superlux HD668B's as a stopgap measure last year when I thought the HA-RX700's were finally going to die on me, and while the sound's okay they're really uncomfortable and so I don't like using them much.

I live in Sweden, and my budget for the replacement is the equivalent of about $300 (including amp if necessary), although I'd prefer to not go over $200 unless there are good reasons for it. I'm looking for something over-ear, comfortable, for home use only. I live alone in a quiet neighborhood and these will be permanently attached to my desktop computer, so I think I want open-back.

While the HA-RX700's are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, it's a bit hard for me to comment on what they actually sound like since I'm so drat used to them. They're... nice, I guess? The HD668B's on the other hand have not enough bass in comparison and the treble's a bit on the sharp side, especially on some tracks. I think I want something more neutral. I listen to a lot of acoustic/folk music (think Simon & Garfunkel or things like this) as well as some vocal jazz, orchestral stuff and other similar things, but not exclusively - I listen quite a bit of EDM and rock/metal as well. I also play a bunch of video games, of course, but I mostly play strategy and things like KSP/Factorio so that doesn't matter that much. At work we have some Bose QC25's that I use sometimes, but the only thing I can recall that really stands out with those is that the bass is really heavy. I think it has something to do with the insulation or something; there's a noticeable sound pressure so it kinda feels like you're sitting inside a subwoofer, but it also kinda drowns out the rest of the music. They feel kinda "eh" for acoustic stuff. Again I think I want something more neutral than that.

I've been eyeing a pretty nice clearance sale deal on the Philips Fidelio X2 at 1100 SEK (~$130) but I'm not convinced the sound is what I want. The Beyerdynamics 990 Pro are only about $20 more here (although I'd also have to get an amp). Another potential alternative is the Sennheiser HD599 at 1900 SEK (~$230) or even the older HD598's which are pretty cheap on UK eBay at around ~100-110 GBP shipped. Thoughts?
e: reading some more it's starting to seem like I want the Hifiman HE400S buuut of course only hilariously expensive hifi shops carry them here. :argh:

Ordering from the US/Massdrop is a possibility, but I'd most likely have to pay 25% VAT plus a customs fee of about $15, and I'd ideally prefer to shop locally since I'm entitled to a pretty decent return policy by law. I'm not in a hurry though so I'm currently thinking I'll see what kind of sales the local electronics stores put up for Black Friday (which isn't really a thing here since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all, but retail business always takes an opportunity to reel in customers so they've been trying to make it a thing in the last few years).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 13, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

I am looking to upgrade my earbuds but I am very picky because I've only ever found one pair that I can stand for more than an hour - these sony earbuds that curve around. I don't even remember the model number for this - bought them at best buy years ago

I've tried several other types, like Symphonized NRG 2.0 Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones and normal headphones but they just aren't as comfortable. Can someone recommend a super comfortable pair? My budget is $200 tops. I mostly listen to drum and bass, synthwave, and trip hop.

1More Triple Driver Headphones

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to buy a set of closed back sennheisers and a mod-mic, but I would need a TRRS -> TRS/TRS adapter for a 2017 macbook pro. I've been googling the problem and it looks like there is some complexity on pin order? People are saying macs use some non-standard ordering, others are reporting certain adapters are switching left and right on their stereo audio. Anyway I wish I had a real computer with actual ports on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I want to buy a set of closed back sennheisers and a mod-mic, but I would need a TRRS -> TRS/TRS adapter for a 2017 macbook pro. I've been googling the problem and it looks like there is some complexity on pin order? People are saying macs use some non-standard ordering, others are reporting certain adapters are switching left and right on their stereo audio. Anyway I wish I had a real computer with actual ports on it.

Wouldn't the Mic on the MB be good enough since you are going to be close to it anyway?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MarcusSA posted:

Wouldn't the Mic on the MB be good enough since you are going to be close to it anyway?

No, i"m in an open office and the macbook is docked in a 3 monitor arrangement. I run voip software on the mac for a phone and I need good quality which is why I'm looking at the unidirectional mod mic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

No, i"m in an open office and the macbook is docked in a 3 monitor arrangement. I run voip software on the mac for a phone and I need good quality which is why I'm looking at the unidirectional mod mic.

ah well poo poo that explains it.

What about a USB solution? Thats the only thing I could think of to get around that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Does the mic have to be attached to the headphones? I kinda reached some kind of microphone nirvana when I finally got convinced to pick up a Samson Go-Mic for like $35. It sounds loving amazing compared to every headset mic I've ever tried, you can position it just about anywhere you want within like a meter from you (it comes with a really strong spring-loaded clamp thing so you can attach it to monitors and the like) and it connects via USB. I haven't tried it in any kind of noisy environment though and I do suspect even the directional mode (it has an omnidirectional mode as well) might be far less directional than you want - I know it picks up things going on in the room quite well when it's sitting on my desk and I'm not talking into it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

If you get the adapter order figured out, I've been using Sennheiser HD 569 cans for closed back listening. The built in mic if sufficiently good for raiding on Destiny 2, but I haven't listened to a recording of myself with them on.

Good luck!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Hey everybody, looking for a little guidance / recommendations here. My wife has asked for these headphones for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X9KV0HU

Is there anything comparable that would be better quality for the same / lower price? Questionnaire from the OP is below.

Budget - I guess I'd spend up to 300 if really necessary, but would prefer to spend less.
Source - Right now an Ipod. Possibly later an Android phone.
Isolation Requirements - Just drown out a noisy office.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbud style.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea. Middle of the road...?
Past Headphones - Generic ipod headphones.
Preferred Music - Classical Music, Fiona Apple, Florence and the Machine, POP music,

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 14, 2017

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

grack posted:

1More Triple Driver Headphones

Thanks! Ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Hey everybody, looking for a little guidance / recommendations here. My wife has asked for these headphones for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X9KV0HU

Is there anything comparable that would be better quality for the same / lower price? Questionnaire from the OP is below.

Budget - I guess I'd spend up to 300 if really necessary, but would prefer to spend less.
Source - Right now an Ipod. Possibly later an Android phone.
Isolation Requirements - Just drown out a noisy office.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbud style.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea. Middle of the road...?
Past Headphones - Generic ipod headphones.
Preferred Music - Classical Music, Fiona Apple, Florence and the Machine, POP music,

You can get the same audio quality for less money but the question is does she really want noise cancelling or noise isolation? Noise cancelling won't do a heck of a lot for voices, but it will be great for stuff like machinery, A/C, computers etc. Noise isolation will cut out a big chunk of everything, but generally requires very deep sealing in the ear canal and some people find that uncomfortable.