Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

It looks like she's got them hitched up too high.

In fairness, she's just coming off being an old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AndyElusive posted:

Never read Facebook comments.

Yeah, that was my bad. When he started going on about misandry, that was the cue to walk away.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I'm not crazy about it, mostly because I'm not a fan of capris. Especially high wasted ones. It looks like she's got them hitched up too high.

But whatever, it's not the worst costume.
I like that it looks a bit silly. I was worried it would be too straightforwardly cool because they might be afraid of making the first woman Doctor too silly.

The Doctor sometimes pulls of traditionally classy/cool outfits, but I think their best outfits are the ones that take a kind of silly outfit and make them cool. Like bowties. Or eye-searingly garish rainbow coats.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

AndyElusive posted:

Never read Facebook comments.

Worse for me, my mother is one of the virulant anti-female Doctor types. Literally any time DW is brought up at all she starts going in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And what's neat is there's plenty of room for variety while still keeping the basic look.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Original concept art drawn up for her look by Patrick Goddard:

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 9, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
he had to take down the concept art tweet. looks good tho and it's a good match for the final thing

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Was able to grab it from his Tweet before it was removed, broke my post for a second there.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Teek posted:

Was able to grab it from his Tweet before it was removed, broke my post for a second there.

yeah, i still had it in my cache and was gonna repost it but couldn't find the windows print screen shortcut on this stupid mac keyboard

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Also to clarify, it sounds like he was given instructions by the designer for what they wanted it to look like, and he drew it up for them. He didn't come up with it from scratch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It at least feels very Doctor-y. Like suspenders are definitely in the "just a little bit off" category, the rainbow on the shirt adds some color without going full on Six garish. The pants being too high is a little too clownish for me, but I'll get over it.

Every photo or interview I see with Jodie Whittaker convinces me she was the right choice, if nothing else. I'm excited even for those first 30 seconds she's going to get in the role this Christmas. I'm still nervous about Chibnall as a head writer, but he's already doing darn well as a showrunner, I think!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

howe_sam posted:

I'm not crazy about it, mostly because I'm not a fan of capris. Especially high wasted ones. It looks like she's got them hitched up too high.

But whatever, it's not the worst costume.

I'm getting a leprechaun, perhaps Troughton, vibe from the capris.

e. and unless google has been lying to me, she's the shortest actor to play the role.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 9, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's odd; I like it.

The Doctor's a weird alien anyway, so dressing unconventionally, or anachronistically always works in my opinion. Like, the most conventional one is probably Nine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really dig that costume, particularly the coat

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eiba posted:

I like that it looks a bit silly. I was worried it would be too straightforwardly cool because they might be afraid of making the first woman Doctor too silly.

The Doctor sometimes pulls of traditionally classy/cool outfits, but I think their best outfits are the ones that take a kind of silly outfit and make them cool. Like bowties. Or eye-searingly garish rainbow coats.

It's really just the capris that bug me. The rest of it is fine. Like I really dig the suspenders and boots.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hosed up how the BBC posting a picture of 13's first outfit on social media is like a flare gun alerting the worst of the worst that it's time to come out of the woodwork yet again.

But I guess that's to be expected these days.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

hosed up how the BBC posting a picture of 13's first outfit on social media is like a flare gun alerting the worst of the worst that it's time to come out of the woodwork yet again.

But I guess that's to be expected these days.

posting anything 13 related will do that

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Interesting choice for a unisex look. Am I supposed to like Chibnall?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He's the new man in charge of Doctor Who, so you're supposed to follow tradition and hate him for ruining the show

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's a good outfit - the Doctor always felt a little too well-dressed in NuWho at times and it's nice to see it going back to Rummage Sale Reject

Here's hoping the writing holds up after Series 10 though; that's my main worry at the moment

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm not digging the high-waist trousers with suspenders at all. It looks all stumpy and off, but not in a good way. But it's something that hopefully works better in motion.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

i imagine they're going to ramp up the "alien" this time around. with three companions, having them all be super normal would be dull as dirt.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think it's great. The suspenders, culottes and shirt look kinda "space op-shopper" which I think suits the Doctor and I love her boots and coat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Interesting choice for a unisex look. Am I supposed to like Chibnall?

His Who eps have been a mixed bag and Torchwood was bad, but Broadchurch was good and a lot of people seem to like L&O:UK, so... who knows?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bicyclops posted:

His Who eps have been a mixed bag and Torchwood was bad, but Broadchurch was good and a lot of people seem to like L&O:UK, so... who knows?

L&O: UK were slightly rewritten old US episodes mostly and Broadchurch lost at least for me a lot of lustre after the first 4 episodes, when it got very predictable. Season 2 was just bizarrely boring. Still, I'm hopeful that Whittaker makes even mediocre scripts shine like Smith and Capaldi did.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

2house2fly posted:

He's the new man in charge of Doctor Who, so you're supposed to follow tradition and hate him for ruining the show

No, you’ve got it wrong - we’re supposed to love him right up until the point where he’s settled in as showrunner, then by that time the show will be ruined forever, again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

No, you’ve got it wrong - we’re supposed to love him right up until the point where he’s settled in as showrunner, then by that time the show will be ruined forever, again.

The problem is most of us already have the air of distrust as it stands and many loath him before hand and dread his turn

Here's hoping he breaks the cycle!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Suspenders good.

No more St. John's Ambulance badge bad.

Therefore I declare these current changes.... even.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not a fan of the high-waisted capris. Suspenders are good, boots are good, coat is great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Suspenders good.

No more St. John's Ambulance badge bad.

Therefore I declare these current changes.... even.

The handle on the "Pull to Open" is on the wrong side. Lamp's different too

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All I care is that I can cosplay it capably.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know the JNT era has been sort of redeemed in a lot of circles, but goddamn is The Leisure Hive very immediately worse than The Horns of the Nimon, and I don't even like the latter very much. The hair and makeup by Crayola, the dread seriousness of everything, the soundtrack that sounds like it was cribbed from bits of The Sea Devils, the embarrassing opening, the question marks. I just want Duggan to show up and start punching everyone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

All I care is that I can cosplay it capably.

You'll need a lot of cardboard

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

I know the JNT era has been sort of redeemed in a lot of circles, but goddamn is The Leisure Hive very immediately worse than The Horns of the Nimon, and I don't even like the latter very much. The hair and makeup by Crayola, the dread seriousness of everything, the soundtrack that sounds like it was cribbed from bits of The Sea Devils, the embarrassing opening, the question marks. I just want Duggan to show up and start punching everyone.

On the other hand, the Leisure Hive 1 has the best cliffhanger.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

You mentioned Foamasi?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Those suspenders could use some question marks. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Those suspenders could use some question marks. :colbert:

Sometimes I think you're just trying to be wrong, Astroman!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You mentioned Foamasi?

I actually :lol:d loud enough to wake up my pet bird at that moment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

Everything sucks from the moment JNT steps in to when McCoy comes on and makes Dr Who good again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

corn in the bible posted:

Everything sucks from the moment JNT steps in to when McCoy comes on and makes Dr Who good again

State of Decay says "no"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

"The Leisure Hive" was one of the first ones I got on DVD many years ago but I went a loooooong time before I rewatched it, having remembered it as one I didn't like very much. However, when I did rewatch it, I thought it was decent enough. It was a competent story.

The old dude on Argolis is played by Laurence Payne, who had been in "The Gunfighters" opposite William Hartnell and later played Dastari in "The Two Doctors".

• Locked thread