Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I agree that he's not using the word well, but if you actually read the main kickstarter page, he's got a micrometer out to show the same dimensions, and a section called "Proportion" that clearly shows exactly how big each die is compared to each other. Exactly what you're getting with your purchase is very very clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leperflesh posted:

The intent with this set is to make sure like the D6 weighs the same and is about the same size as the D20 and the D8 etc. Because supposedly once you roll a heavier die like the D20 in your normal crappy set of dice, then you go to roll a lighter die and you roll it too hard and this reduces your "rolling accuracy" or some poo poo like that.

Whatever, he's selling sets for a pretty reasonable price, and it's cool that you can get them pre-inked or even fresh off the sprue if you wanted that for some reason.

Rolling accuracy? Like...keeping it on the table?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The idea is that all the dice are within about .1" of each other in width. This allows them to be stored in an even grid/row form, which is more difficult with the irregular sizes of standard dice. It's... not a major problem by any stretch, but seems like a neat idea, and the box they showed off for dice+mini+cards seems like a cool thing to use if you play RPGs in person like a weirdo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup. And it's five bucks for a set of seven dice. It's not like they're ripping everyone off. I doubt they sell a ton of them but who cares.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait so why not just say they're all equal height within a .1" tolerance?

Because proportional implies a ratio.

E: or more specifically, a relationship between different things that remains constant.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

moths posted:

Wait so why not just say they're all equal height within a .1" tolerance?

Because proportional implies a ratio.

E: or more specifically, a relationship between different things that remains constant.

Proportional is a bad way to describe it, yes. You could maybe explain it by saying there is a 1:1 proportion between all of the dice (within reasonable tolerance) but the best answer is probably "This is a bad description of an okay product"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You would say that your competitor's dice are disproportionately sized to one another, and that your dice are more closely proportionate in size to one another. The kickstarter page author did not understand how to use the word in a helpful, communicative way; this is a relatively minor failing. Once you read the description it's very clear exactly what is being sold. :shrug: as kickstarter failings go this is very minor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would say 'your entire marketing is based on a word you clearly don't understand' is more than 'very minor.' Yes, the product may well be perfectly functional but the marketing is hilariously bad.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
it may be a minor failing as far as kickstarter failings go...but it's also not a product anyone's been clamoring for, or a problem that actually needed to be solved.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not trying to imply he's got a bad product or idea! I think I get exactly where he's coming from about needing symmetry and correctness in things, and that might be why I got stuck up on his word choice.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
What do you guys think of Monster Slaughter by Ankama Board Games?

Their selling point is that it's by the same people who made Krosmaster; which I played a few times and found to be pretty enjoyable.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Monster Hunters' Club, a new Savage Worlds RPG meant to emulate 80's kids adventures like E.T., Goonies, and Monster Squad, as well as more modern takes on the genre like Stranger Things or the new It.

Confession, I'm writing the $15,000 stretch goal, so I do have some skin in the game. That said, I think it looks like a lot of fun, and I'm liking what I've seen of the archetypes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hackjack posted:

Their selling point is that it's by the same people who made Krosmaster; which I played a few times and found to be pretty enjoyable.

A friend of mine had the chance to try it out at Spiel. Apparently it's ok but has some balance issues between the different monster families and mechanics which dissuade you from actually searching for the victims.

e.g. the Vampires draw more cards when searching, but it still uses up an action. So a common issue was a Vampire moving into a room and searching, finding a victim but being out of actions to attack them. Then the other players now have a target and just pile in their monsters and attack. Since you get points for attacking and killing the victims, you're actively dissuaded from actually searching for them because it just lets the other players score more than you.

It's possible they'll have the issue resolved by launch but I don't see a rulebook on the campaign page to check.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JackMann posted:

Monster Hunters' Club, a new Savage Worlds RPG meant to emulate 80's kids adventures like E.T., Goonies, and Monster Squad, as well as more modern takes on the genre like Stranger Things or the new It.

I'm just about to start reading Tales from the Loop, which seems like it's aimed at the same sort of feel. How would you compare them?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, there's also Kids on Bikes aiming for the same thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Three days left for John Wick's 7th Sea Khitai. I really like 7th Sea 2e, and this looks just as well done.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

Baron Snow posted:

I kinda want both of them. :ohdear:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Baron Snow posted:

This looks awesome and I love the art style!

Henker
May 5, 2009

Hackjack posted:

It looks neat, reminds me of one of those "half toy" 90s board games with a 3D board and a rad commercial. However, it looks about as simplistic as those games too. There are a lot of other, cooler games on Kickstarter right now so I'm probably going to hold off until retail. It also seems kind of pricey for what you're getting, the base pledge is 80 bucks. Generally at that price I'd prefer a meatier game or more components.

The one I'm a lot more hyped for is Legends of Sleepy Hollow, which is on its final 24 hours. Narrative-based co-op dungeon crawler that brings a fairly unique theme to board games.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am currently backing the 7th Sea Khitai kickstarter at the all PDF level and I am torn. While what I an getting right now is probably worth what that costs to me, it is close enough that I have to consider not backing. I love everything produced for the first 7th Sea kickstarter, but this one seems to have so much less direction.

If they can get all the way to Not China I will back for sure.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I jumped on this the other day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mathewsisson/ravine

It's by the same people that did Spaceteam, so if you're into real-time co-op card games, take a look.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm honestly not sure whether to put this here, the general chat thread, the development thread, or what.

My Kickstarter for Gratuitous Anime Gimmick: Of Raised Dead & Evening Rituals has about 10 days left and is 22% funded. I still have a few aces up my sleeve but I'm going to have to start thinking about what to do if this fails. My hope was to use Kickstarter to pay for artwork for the book, because the art I want is expensive.

So I have, as far as I can tell, two options.

1.) Very slowly commission art out of my own pocket. Getting art for GAG (the original) took me about a year saving up for each piece at a time, GAG: ORDER will probably take longer. That's just for character class art, I'd basically have to blow off any urge to put in art beside that. So, I'd be releasing one big book after maybe a year+, with good art but not as much as I want.

2.) Possibly release the book in sections...? I have the art for the Witch class. I have the new gimmicks and such for the Witch class mostly written up. Instead of slowly cobbling together one proper book, I could release a small PDF with JUST the Witch stuff, then use the sales from that to maybe get a head start on paying for art for another class, and just keep piggybacking from one to another. Each release would have the opportunity to bring more eyes to the GAG line overall, possibly building to a snowball effect. I would sort of feel bad doing this, because instead of just releasing GAG and GAG: ORDER I'd be releasing GAG and like ten small supplements, and the overall cost to someone trying to get them all would be higher than just the one book. Once I got all the supplements out, I could throw them together as one proper PDF at a reduced price (and release it in a print version, because I like print versions).

The steady-release-of-smaller-books method would cost more for customers but get it to them sooner, and maybe help me get more art in there than just class depictions. I'd have to figure out where/how to squeeze in the non-class content like quirks and magic items (which are for all characters), and monsters (which are, obviously, not for characters).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Funzo posted:

I jumped on this the other day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mathewsisson/ravine

It's by the same people that did Spaceteam, so if you're into real-time co-op card games, take a look.

The stretch goal about the plane wing sounded amazingly stupid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guess who just got his copy of Gloomhaven in the mail? This guy!

Holy gently caress is it massive. I'm glad I've been going to the gym the last few months!

Anyone else got theirs?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

I'm just about to start reading Tales from the Loop, which seems like it's aimed at the same sort of feel. How would you compare them?

I can't really comment on the rules, not being familiar with Mutant: Year Zero. I also haven't actually read through the Tales From the Loop rulebook, so if someone is more familiar with it, please correct me.

From a setting standpoint, Tales From the Loop seems to have a much tighter focus on the setting and what sort of stories it wants to tell, where Monster Hunters' Club has a somewhat broader scope (while still being much more focused than regular Savage Worlds).

Assuming both do an equally good job of tailoring their rules to the setting (and MHC is doing pretty well at it from the rules I've seen so far), then Tales From the Loop will probably run its themes much better, but MHC will be better for tailoring it to different sorts of adventures and working with your own themes (since it's drawing from a broader scope of adventure stories, from Goonies to Stranger Things to Monster Squad). Which is better is going to depend on what you want to do with the game. For the record, I've been really tempted by Tales From the Loop for a while, and if I weren't already writing for it, MHC would be a pretty easy sell for me.

In somewhat less cool news, I got a link to a new mini Kickstarter...

Henker
May 5, 2009

JackMann posted:

In somewhat less cool news, I got a link to a new mini Kickstarter...

I have a weird love for Victorian era exploration, but I can fully admit this poo poo is incredibly racist.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Anyone else got theirs?

I just got a notification that 22lbs of Gloomhaven is coming my way. :stare:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

I suggest getting out of its way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am currently backing the 7th Sea Khitai kickstarter at the all PDF level and I am torn. While what I an getting right now is probably worth what that costs to me, it is close enough that I have to consider not backing. I love everything produced for the first 7th Sea kickstarter, but this one seems to have so much less direction.

If they can get all the way to Not China I will back for sure.

Yeah, I figure we'll make it there, I'm just hoping it ends close enough to the Korean sourcebook that pledge manager extras make it there.

I will warn people about getting physical add ons. I knew a few that went all in on the 7th Sea and there's nothing but disappointment with the dice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Really? That's a bummer, I was all digital so I got no clue if they dropped the ball for physical stuff.

But yea I'm a bit bummed they seemed to put their Khitai source books on the same scale base 2nd ed used because there's no way we're hitting not-Korea at this rate without a pledge manager miracle. Game's still fun and I'm real glad we can easily mix and match not-europe and not-asia this edition but it feels like they forgot that the second KS usually never does as gangbusters just because the 'oooh what's this' luster is gone by then.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Guess who just got his copy of Gloomhaven in the mail? This guy!

Holy gently caress is it massive. I'm glad I've been going to the gym the last few months!

Anyone else got theirs?

Mine is supposed to get here next week.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Was it through email? Kickstarter?

I don't think mine's on the way yet. I am worried it will break my back porch.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else find it funny that John Wick realized that he could get back, essentially, Legend of the Five Rings by putting it in 7th Sea as an expansion?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I will warn people about getting physical add ons. I knew a few that went all in on the 7th Sea and there's nothing but disappointment with the dice.

I have a friend who went all in and got the big Buck Wild Pirate Package or whatever.

He is super salty that the deluxe corebook is just black with a skull. Doesn't even have the name on the spine so it looks like garbage on a shelf too.

Still, all the books so far have been beautiful. The art budget is really making a huge difference over almost every other rpg product from other bigger companies. I particularly enjoyed reading the new Middle East book, though the Assassins having to live countless lives and deaths in their minds before getting near powers was a little on the nose for my taste.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I got the Sorte deck as an add-on and it's very pretty.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I really can't decide what I think about Maurader Task Force RPG. On one hand, it looks like it wouldn't work as a RPG; it would basically just be a coop wargame or something, unless they have noncombat rules, right? On the other hand, it's kind of cute. Like, finding a way to play with the action figures of your childhood.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

dwarf74 posted:

Was it through email? Kickstarter?

I don't think mine's on the way yet. I am worried it will break my back porch.

It should be an email from cephalofair@funagain.com with the title "Your Cephalofair Games item(s) have shipped!"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

senrath posted:

It should be an email from cephalofair@funagain.com with the title "Your Cephalofair Games item(s) have shipped!"

Oh poo poo, so that was what that email was about! :toot:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Coming soon to Kickstarter...

(via The Onion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FMguru posted:

Coming soon to Kickstarter...

(via The Onion)

You know, I'd probably play the hell out of something like that.