Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Burt Sexual posted:

Funko is an autistic thing right? I guess all collections of weird obscure things are to a large degree tho.

I mean look at how well those boxes are stacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also I have to keep reminding myself that Funko heads don’t bobble and it disappoints me. Like that might be cool.

Actually the Marvel and Star Wars Funko are bobbleheads, because Hasbro has the license for figures.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gann Jerrod posted:

Actually the Marvel and Star Wars Funko are bobbleheads, because Hasbro has the license for figures.

Then put me down for 6 Deads pool and 4 Maz Kanatas!

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

The "Comic Con" exclusives get sold nationwide in normal retailers anyway. Those Pops are a plague. A woman in the next office over has a bunch, including one for dead Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks wrapped up in the tarp. Why would anyone want that!?

I’ve never seen Twin Peaks, but even I thought that seemed hosed up. I wonder if they have a dead Barbara from Stranger Things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think you see sprawling Funko collections partly because if you're the kind of person to be happy buying one, you'd rather buy something of better quality, partly because as soon as relatives get an inkling that you like them they'll give you Funkos for every goddamn birthday and Christmas. They also love to give them away in those loot crate things.

Nerd merchandise is a weird thing because the margins usually aren't worth mass-producing anything but the cheapest high-margin plastic crap or detailed, ridiculously expensive figures and statuettes.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think you see sprawling Funko collections partly because if you're the kind of person to be happy buying one, you'd rather buy something of better quality, partly because as soon as relatives get an inkling that you like them they'll give you Funkos for every goddamn birthday and Christmas. They also love to give them away in those loot crate things.

Nerd merchandise is a weird thing because the margins usually aren't worth mass-producing anything but the cheapest high-margin plastic crap or detailed, ridiculously expensive figures and statuettes.

That would explain it for the ones that have thembout of their boxes and out and about. But why do so many keep them pristine in their boxes if not for the hope of a payday? My coworker is one if these types and is convinced they will make him mad money.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Raldikuk posted:

But why do so many keep them pristine in their boxes if not for the hope of a payday?

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-when-unwanted-thoughts-take-over/index.shtml

Compulsions may include:

Keeping or hoarding unnecessary objects
Ordering or arranging items in a particular, precise way

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i don't care for nerds

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Raldikuk posted:

That would explain it for the ones that have thembout of their boxes and out and about. But why do so many keep them pristine in their boxes if not for the hope of a payday? My coworker is one if these types and is convinced they will make him mad money.

It's the investment thing. Ever since mint condition early comics and Star Wars figures started selling for big money, nerds and nerd-adjacent types have been hoarding anything that comes out in the hopes that they'll sell them all in the future. They've completely misunderstood the market though; the reason that old stuff sells for high prices is because there's relatively few of them around any more, since they were mostly sold to kids who ripped them straight out of the packaging. When there's a million adults buying every Star Wars toy that hits the shelf and vacuum-sealing them away, the scarcity value is gone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burt Sexual posted:

Funko is an autistic thing right? I guess all collections of weird obscure things are to a large degree tho.

I'd say if you have more than 5 of something, or if you have more than two of the same thing it goes into Autistic mode.

I mean I can see some casual stumbling upon a set of the cast of The Orville (we all know it's going to happen at this point) and thinking it would be neat to have it. On the other hand having 3 Bortuses new in box makes it autism.

Corrode posted:

It's the investment thing. Ever since mint condition early comics and Star Wars figures started selling for big money, nerds and nerd-adjacent types have been hoarding anything that comes out in the hopes that they'll sell them all in the future. They've completely misunderstood the market though; the reason that old stuff sells for high prices is because there's relatively few of them around any more, since they were mostly sold to kids who ripped them straight out of the packaging. When there's a million adults buying every Star Wars toy that hits the shelf and vacuum-sealing them away, the scarcity value is gone.

This is exactly it. It does create a near term market though as certain figures are rarer than others, and I'm positive at this point the manufacturers expect competition for them. I doubt that anything snapped up in the near term will hold value past the bubble bursting.

What does become long term valuable boils down to nostalgia and the people who are reminiscing over something reaching the point where they have enough disposable income. I think the current trend in nostalgia based value is Hot Wheels actually.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wasn't it this collecting attitude a factor in the Dark Age of Superhero comics, where every first issue was assumed to be valuable in a few years so do hold on to your copy of Rob Liefeld's Youngbloods #1. No, he can't draw feet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Wasn't it this collecting attitude a factor in the Dark Age of Superhero comics, where every first issue was assumed to be valuable in a few years so do hold on to your copy of Rob Liefeld's Youngbloods #1. No, he can't draw feet.

Yeah, that me around 1992-1994, during my brief, failed attempt to get into comics. Of course I was 12, so that consisted of just a handful of comics with shiny covers or the issues of X-Men where they had a hologram on the cover. That's also how I ended up with the Gen 13 Swimsuit Issue :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably a good chunk of why that killed the market, comics became impossible to follow when numbers no longer mean anything.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Back in the day (maybe 92 or 93?) I worked in a call center and two of the supervisors were talking about pooling their money to buy 50 copies of Turok #1 and they resell them because Valiant back issues were really rare. Guess what happened?

The Death of Superman is another great example of this. Superman, and most DC titles, were not selling well at all. During the writers annual meeting someone said, "why don't we kill him?" as a joke but they decided to run with it. The day that Superman #75 came out, it was a madhouse. Since the title didn't sell well, comic book stores didn't order many copies. Some ordered extra because of the hype but there were maybe 15-20 copies per store. People who never set foot in a comic book store were coming in to buy a copy. By early afternoon, a few shops around me were selling the last copies for $75.

Six months later they brought him back and stores ordered lots of copies to make sure they didn't sell out. Guess how much these are worth now?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

Back in the day (maybe 92 or 93?) I worked in a call center and two of the supervisors were talking about pooling their money to buy 50 copies of Turok #1 and they resell them because Valiant back issues were really rare. Guess what happened?

The Death of Superman is another great example of this. Superman, and most DC titles, were not selling well at all. During the writers annual meeting someone said, "why don't we kill him?" as a joke but they decided to run with it. The day that Superman #75 came out, it was a madhouse. Since the title didn't sell well, comic book stores didn't order many copies. Some ordered extra because of the hype but there were maybe 15-20 copies per store. People who never set foot in a comic book store were coming in to buy a copy. By early afternoon, a few shops around me were selling the last copies for $75.

Six months later they brought him back and stores ordered lots of copies to make sure they didn't sell out. Guess how much these are worth now?

I'm really not someone who follows comics, but that really was a weird time where they did a whole lot of reinvention of popular characters. Superman dies and returns as electricity, Batman gets his back broken, and Wolverine loses his adamantium are the ones I can remember offhand.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm really not someone who follows comics, but that really was a weird time where they did a whole lot of reinvention of popular characters. Superman dies and returns as electricity, Batman gets his back broken, and Wolverine loses his adamantium are the ones I can remember offhand.

get yourself a foot-long sub and a 64-ounce drink, this'll take a while

http://www.benreillytribute.x10host.com/LifeofReilly1.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Actually, not-reading that only took zero seconds.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Yeah but you still don't have to go to Gamestop to buy games in a brick-and-mortar store. Pretty much any big box store has major releases these days. You might even be able to pick up your preorder at midnight, depending on the release.

The only things that kept Gamestop afloat this long are selling overpriced used games(which are slowly dying out along with physical copies of games) and pushing subscriptions to their stupid gaming magazine. No wonder they're scrambling at anything vaguely game-related to keep the money coming in.

i was in a Gamestop with a friend of mine last week, and we noticed that every time we're in there, there are fewer games and more trinkets- the ratio is now basically 1/3 games and consoles/accessories and 2/3 Thinkgeek tchotchkes. There were about 12 linear feet of just Funkopops.

Living in a big city, I realize that I don't shop online that much. Basically, if I want something, there are about 5 places I can get it that are an hour or less away by public transit or less if driving. The convenience of getting it delivered to my door is offset by not having to wait for it, worry about delivery, and being able to handle the item.

However, if I lived in a smaller city or somewhere more suburban, I'd shop online a lot more. Shipping is less now, more companies offer free returns, and the convenience of not having to leave the house to go on a crapshoot is pretty appealing.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Its related to this, but its not cause all the Funko buying nerds think they're gonna be rich, its the effects the investment thing in the past had on nerd culture/merchandise. "Mint condition in original packaging" became the cool way to display nerd crap because of the stuff that became worth money so now a lot of nerd crap is sold specifically to be displayable in the original packaging because that became the trend in that subculture. Its why the Funko boxes stack so well, so nerds can easily display a bunch of them at once. Funko will probably die off once it hits market saturation, but no one I know who owns the things thinks they're gonna be rich because of it (unlike say, bitcoin) they're just doing the nerd thing of defining themselves with conspicuous consumption.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're actually worse out of the box, because you can at least stack the boxes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sunshine89 posted:

However, if I lived in a smaller city or somewhere more suburban, I'd shop online a lot more. Shipping is less now, more companies offer free returns, and the convenience of not having to leave the house to go on a crapshoot is pretty appealing.
As someone stuck in suburban hell, it really depends on how good your local post office/UPS/Fedex drivers are.

The crapshoot turns from "will the store have this in stock?" to "will this be delivered when I'm home? If not, will they leave a note, leave it outside where any random rear end in a top hat can take it, or leave it inside where a smaller number of random assholes could take it?". Sure, Amazon's usually willing to replace stuff if it get stolen, but then you get to endure the crapshoot again. It's the one factor keeping me from shopping online a lot.

Still worth it for stuff you're not likely to find in a chain store, or where the price differential is huge.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

use funkos as anal beads or gtfo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Haifisch posted:

As someone stuck in suburban hell, it really depends on how good your local post office/UPS/Fedex drivers are.

The crapshoot turns from "will the store have this in stock?" to "will this be delivered when I'm home? If not, will they leave a note, leave it outside where any random rear end in a top hat can take it, or leave it inside where a smaller number of random assholes could take it?". Sure, Amazon's usually willing to replace stuff if it get stolen, but then you get to endure the crapshoot again. It's the one factor keeping me from shopping online a lot.

Still worth it for stuff you're not likely to find in a chain store, or where the price differential is huge.

Amazon, at least in Canada, now let's you ship items to authorized pickup locations

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Bonzo posted:

Amazon, at least in Canada, now let's you ship items to authorized pickup locations

Yeah I was going to mention this as well. Every Plaid Pantry (regional 7-11-alike) in my immediate area has a set of Amazon drop-off boxes; you just go in and flash a QR code and it unlocks the box with your stuff in it. They've also got a bigger thing down in the city proper where you can apparently get free (with Prime?) next-day delivery if you can be bothered to go down and pick it up.

Considering we're getting into the "Assholes driving around the 'burbs snatching packages off porches" season, it's certainly a nice alternative, even if you have to put in a little more effort to get your stuff.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

USPS is my favorite shipping company because they won't leave packages worth several hundred dollar packages laying on my front door. Last time I was expecting a shipment from FedEx, as soon as I got my tracking number I tried both requiring a signature and then picking it up at one of their locations and straight up could not do either of those. They left it sitting on my doorstep in the rain for a few hours. The company I bought it from refunded me but I don't get how doing poo poo like that is sustainable.

Corrode posted:

I was too smart to fall for this in the 90s so I passed up buying a Black Lotus for $250 :smuggo:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Moon Monster posted:

USPS is my favorite shipping company because they won't leave packages worth several hundred dollar packages laying on my front door. Last time I was expecting a shipment from FedEx, as soon as I got my tracking number I tried both requiring a signature and then picking it up at one of their locations and straight up could not do either of those. They left it sitting on my doorstep in the rain for a few hours. The company I bought it from refunded me but I don't get how doing poo poo like that is sustainable.

I was too smart to fall for this in the 90s so I passed up buying a Black Lotus for $250 :smuggo:

Same, but trading it for a quarter sack of weed. :negative:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Sunshine89 posted:

Macy's and Kohl's just recently got hit with lawsuits for false reference pricing in California.

In CA, the goods actually have to have been sold for the original listed price at some point (6 months IIRC) in order for a retailer to claim that the goods are discounted by whatever percentage from the original price.

Macy's and Kohl's never bothered charging the original price at all for hundreds of items, so it wasn't really ever a discount.

just curious but what law is this? do you know the penal code for it?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Magius1337est posted:

just curious but what law is this? do you know the penal code for it?

I think it says in this article:

https://www.law360.com/articles/879108/avoiding-a-new-wave-of-deceptive-price-advertising-claims

Brought on behalf of the People of the State of California, the complaints claim that the department stores violated California Business and Professions Code Sections 17200 et seq. (Unfair Competition Law) and 17500 et seq. (False Advertising Law) by seeking to increase their sales through this “false reference pricing” scheme.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Death of Superman, believe it or not, was also done to delay the comic wedding between Clark and Lois so it could match the TV version for maximum cross-media synergy.

Iron Crowned posted:

Off the top of my head, as someone mentioned, Spiderman got a cool clone guy (Scarlet Spider)
Thor took a break (Thunderstrike)
Supes also got 4 reinventions before Electric Blue (Teen supes, black guy supes, cyborg supes, visor supes)
Booster Gold got his arm ripped off and needed a life support suit (Extreme Justice)
Captain America resigned (Nomad)
Martian Manhunter wasnt in JL so he cosplayed (Bloodwynd)
JL Hal goes nuts (Kyle Rayner)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wasn't electric superman before the Death of Superman? Or after? I forgot if it was a tie-in.

The Reign of the Superman was a serious mixed bag, given they were basically hedging their bets with four different Superman analogues, one of which was basically Iron Man but a black guy (named John Henry Irons, of course) who was inspired to carry on Superman's ideals without claiming the mantle. (Steel is considered the best thing to come out of that mess, oddly enough) and the clone Superboy who has powers that work weirdly and was an attempt at a 'modern' take on Superman in the 90s fashion. (Later revealed/retconned to be a clone that's half Superman, half Lex Luthor. Whoa boy!)

And then there was Cyborg Superman, who turned out to be evil and picking up on a plot thread everyone had forgotten from years ago, someone Superman failed to save from a fate worth than death, and... I forget the fourth one.

I think Superman just came back with a mullet.

Kinda funny given the Death of Superman is actually kind of a popular story for Superman adaptations now, with everything from the current DC movies to the Justice League cartoon taking ideas from it. Even if the execution wasn't considered great in retrospect, being willing to mix things up and throw in a bunch of new ideas really paid off.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Segmentation Fox posted:

Yeah I was going to mention this as well. Every Plaid Pantry (regional 7-11-alike) in my immediate area has a set of Amazon drop-off boxes; you just go in and flash a QR code and it unlocks the box with your stuff in it. They've also got a bigger thing down in the city proper where you can apparently get free (with Prime?) next-day delivery if you can be bothered to go down and pick it up.

Considering we're getting into the "Assholes driving around the 'burbs snatching packages off porches" season, it's certainly a nice alternative, even if you have to put in a little more effort to get your stuff.
Amazon locker is great(and I've used Amazon more since it's been a thing around here), but not every item qualifies for it. It has to be something specifically fulfilled by amazon & meet certain size/weight limits. It's also obviously not helpful for not-Amazon sites. :v:

Basically give me that system but for anything I buy online using any shipping company, and you've obliterated my(and probably a lot of other people's) biggest obstacle to buying most of my/their stuff online.

The Moon Monster posted:

In my experience, the quality of shipping companies goes USPS>Fedex/UPS>the randos Amazon uses for Fulfilled By Amazon stuff.

Just the fact that USPS lets you put in mail holds(and opt to pick everything up at the post office at the end of it) when you're on vacation(or "on vacation", aka "expecting a lot of packages over a span of 1-2 weeks and don't want to play the delivery dance with each one") & is generally good about leaving notices instead of shrugging and leaving packages out in the open puts them miles ahead in my book.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

FilthyImp posted:

The Death of Superman, believe it or not, was also done to delay the comic wedding between Clark and Lois so it could match the TV version for maximum cross-media synergy.

Off the top of my head, as someone mentioned, Spiderman got a cool clone guy (Scarlet Spider)
Thor took a break (Thunderstrike)
Supes also got 4 reinventions before Electric Blue (Teen supes, black guy supes, cyborg supes, visor supes)
Booster Gold got his arm ripped off and needed a life support suit (Extreme Justice)
Captain America resigned (Nomad)
Martian Manhunter wasnt in JL so he cosplayed (Bloodwynd)
JL Hal goes nuts (Kyle Rayner)

Emerald Twilight is worth owning just for this cover.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wasn't electric superman before the Death of Superman? Or after? I forgot if it was a tie-in.

The Reign of the Superman was a serious mixed bag, given they were basically hedging their bets with four different Superman analogues, one of which was basically Iron Man but a black guy (named John Henry Irons, of course) who was inspired to carry on Superman's ideals without claiming the mantle. (Steel is considered the best thing to come out of that mess, oddly enough) and the clone Superboy who has powers that work weirdly and was an attempt at a 'modern' take on Superman in the 90s fashion. (Later revealed/retconned to be a clone that's half Superman, half Lex Luthor. Whoa boy!)

And then there was Cyborg Superman, who turned out to be evil and picking up on a plot thread everyone had forgotten from years ago, someone Superman failed to save from a fate worth than death, and... I forget the fourth one.

I think Superman just came back with a mullet.

Kinda funny given the Death of Superman is actually kind of a popular story for Superman adaptations now, with everything from the current DC movies to the Justice League cartoon taking ideas from it. Even if the execution wasn't considered great in retrospect, being willing to mix things up and throw in a bunch of new ideas really paid off.

The fourth was like a zombie version of supes' body being all grimdark and violent--and the closest to actually being the real supes.

With Cyborg Superman's origin, the best part is he's one of like three times DC has directly lampooned Fantastic Four with pretty much the same origin story having terrible results instead.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Choco1980 posted:

The fourth was like a zombie version of supes' body being all grimdark and violent--and the closest to actually being the real supes.

With Cyborg Superman's origin, the best part is he's one of like three times DC has directly lampooned Fantastic Four with pretty much the same origin story having terrible results instead.

The fourth was the Eradicator, actually.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

Motherfucking FedEx. I live on the third floor of my apartment building and there have been so many occasions where it's just left at the entrance to the building, or in my doorway, and it's not like they couldn't just take it to the office and leave the tag like you know, everyone else. I mean it's not like anyone could walk into the building with 64 apartments in it and just scoop it up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Randaconda posted:

...yes?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Randaconda posted:

As a comic fan who also watched a lot of Kids in the Hall, this still has never stopped making me laugh.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I own exactly 1 Funko bobble-head of Spider-Man because I like Spider-Man and my wife got it for me.
I own something like 5000 comic books, though, so I can't say poo poo about anyone.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just wish tracking worked for USPS as well as it does for FedEx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I just wish tracking worked for USPS as well as it does for FedEx

:yossame:

I hate how spotty it is. Sometimes I just get that it was picked up and delivered, other times, coming from the exact same place, I get a detailed list of everywhere it was along the trip.