Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cjg posted:

smug AND clueless, yup we got ourselves an Otaku goon alright

If you think knowing a little bit of foreign language means I watch anime that says a lot more about you than it does about me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This probably doesn't indicate anything, because it's ST:D but I noticed that when Mudd vaporized him his skeletal structure was very human before being completed disintegrated. That would lead more to the implanted memories perspective than physical reconstruction.

That's giving the creators enough credit that they would've thought about that when vaporizing him though....

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When he started talking about trout I was thinking there is no way I'm going to believe he's a Klingon that's just acting human.

If anything there is a Klingon katra riding in him. I think this may actually be why they reintroduced the notion of katras in the first place.

edit: note that I am not hoping this is true because it sounds dumb and woo but it's the most likely explanation I can think of

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did Into Darkness have human katras or something? I always figured only Vulcans have them and everybody else is just soulless

e: then again I guess humans also have transplantable souls according to that one episode where Kirk and Spock and Diana Muldaur get :orb:

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 9, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently Lorca’s catchphrase was going to be “git r done” (because he’s from the southern US) until it was discovered that Larry the Cable Guy has trademarked it. They decided his catchphrase would be “go”.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It’d be nice if Voq can see everything that’s happening through’s Tyler’s eyes and when it’s time for L’Rell to flip the script on the Federation, Voq declares that the Federation are alright people and calls off the war

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Yeah that's actually what is going to happen except the bad klingons won't want to stop the war they are winning for some reason and then disco will have to help and he will have to sacrifice himself at the very end

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Burnham: Tyler, what are you doing?
Tyler: I'm doing what I have do to. I'm *looks into camera and winks* sacrificing everything.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Burnham: Tyler, what are you doing?
Tyler: I'm doing what I have do to. I'm *looks into camera and winks* sacrificing everything.

L’Rell beams into the background.

L’Rell, out of focus, yelling: This is a reference to an earlier scene in the season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't give a drat, just get it done.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently Lorca’s catchphrase was going to be “git r done” (because he’s from the southern US) until it was discovered that Larry the Cable Guy has trademarked it. They decided his catchphrase would be “go”.

I still don't give a drat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Apollo posted:

I liked Lorca’s indifference to Burnham and Tyler’s enthusiastic ‘I request permission to go do x’. His disinterested ‘ok, I don’t care. I still don’t care.’ amused me no end.

Edit: yes that ^^^^^

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

The Bloop posted:

I don't give a drat, just get it done.

I still don't give a drat.

That was the best Lorcas scene so far. I really like that character.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lorca is an edgy, one-note jerk, but the actor is the most charismatic on the show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

skasion posted:

Lorca is an edgy, one-note jerk, but the actor is the most charismatic on the show.

I like all the actors. The leads are all proven alums of successful movies and big budget shows. They're not the problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Next week on Staaaaaaar Trek Discovery: I don't give a gently caress what you shitdicks do, get that poo poo done.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Retardog posted:

It’d be nice if Voq can see everything that’s happening through’s Tyler’s eyes and when it’s time for L’Rell to flip the script on the Federation, Voq declares that the Federation are alright people and calls off the war

I don't think they will go that way. This isn't that kind of show. The conflict between T'vkuma's cult and the Federation is clearly ideological and they completely reject Federation values and policy. It's not something personal that goes away once you make some friends with the enemy.

Like, T'kvuma is clearly an alt-right analogy. In real life, the alt-right movement fully understands what pluralistic/liberal values mean and still reject them in favour of authoritarianism/fascism/purity/conservatism.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't think they will go that way. This isn't that kind of show. The conflict between T'vkuma's cult and the Federation is clearly ideological and they completely reject Federation values and policy. It's not something personal that goes away once you make some friends with the enemy.

Like, T'kvuma is clearly an alt-right analogy. In real life, the alt-right movement fully understands what pluralistic/liberal values mean and still reject them in favour of authoritarianism/fascism/purity/conservatism.

What if he drank some root beer tho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Retardog posted:

What if he drank some root beer tho

I hear Pepsi works too

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Looks like the return date for DIS is going to be January 7th, and they've released some info on episode 10:

Title: Despite Yourself
Directed by: Jonathan Frakes
Synopsis: While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented forces and return home.

I know some of us here were joking about the show pulling a Voyager, and well...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Looks like the return date for DIS is going to be January 7th, and they've released some info on episode 10:

Synopsis: While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented forces and return home.

I know some of us here were joking about the show pulling a Voyager, and well...

That sounds like the Mirror Universe episode since Frakes was the guy who first mentioned that would be in the show.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

In the mirror universe, there's a galaxy-wide network of tardigrades, and the only way to access it is to stab Toad in the nipples

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I like when Franks directs stuff. You can see him get every penny’s worth of his budget.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Since some of the bridge crew were actually mentioned by name this time, maybe we'll get more details about them soon?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
doug jones did a great job with his character in the last episode, but yeah, definitely first season star trek.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wait, we don't get the second half of that episode until January?? No new ep on Sunday?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Wait, we don't get the second half of that episode until January?? No new ep on Sunday?

there's one more episode coming up Sunday/Monday, then the mid-season break.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tears In A Vial posted:

there's one more episode coming up Sunday/Monday, then the mid-season break.

Ah good. Was about to call them poo poo birds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

I mean we knew this was coming, and the way the spore drive seems to make physics irrelevant it wouldn't surprise me if they went to another dimension/timeline

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
despite being mostly bad this is still the best star trek

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean we knew this was coming, and the way the spore drive seems to make physics irrelevant it wouldn't surprise me if they went to another dimension/timeline

Given the theory earlier in the thread that they might be hopping to slightly different universes with each jump, I'm toying with the idea they'll just out and say "Oh, yeah, we lied, this actually this whole show STARTED in a different universe to begin with. Surprise!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Given the theory earlier in the thread that they might be hopping to slightly different universes with each jump, I'm toying with the idea they'll just out and say "Oh, yeah, we lied, this actually this whole show STARTED in a different universe to begin with. Surprise!"
Considering how pissed people were when Abrams lied about Khan being in Into Darkness, I find it hard to believe they would also make that mistake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering how pissed people were when Abrams lied about Khan being in Into Darkness, I find it hard to believe they would also make that mistake.

It almost worked as a surprise for me because I didn't know about it and hadn't really looked into the movie at all. But then I was listening to the radio one day and the DJ said "So in the movie, Spock is talking to this Khan guy" and it ruined the twist.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

FlamingLiberal posted:

That was cynical as gently caress because there were these "Is this whitewashing?" thinkpieces before that statement, and it got everyone to shut up.

Into Darkness sucked for so many reasons. gently caress that movie.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cojawfee posted:

It almost worked as a surprise for me because I didn't know about it and hadn't really looked into the movie at all. But then I was listening to the radio one day and the DJ said "So in the movie, Spock is talking to this Khan guy" and it ruined the twist.

It was a surprise to me, but not in a good way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just kept hoping he was Gary Mitchell up until the very, very disappointing reveal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Really hope the alternate dimension has better Klingons and ships.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Echo Chamber posted:

That was cynical as gently caress because there were these "Is this whitewashing?" thinkpieces before that statement, and it got everyone to shut up.

Into Darkness sucked for so many reasons. gently caress that movie.

I liked it, and I liked it better than the 3rd one which had Idris Elba in it, usually enough to get me to hop on board a thing. also ID had better Klingon, not saying they were good, just better than these.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

HD DAD posted:

Yet more things where something terrible is happening but because we're so hyper focused on the Discovery they never give a proper view of the whole war. It feels like it's just small skirmishes between ships and that's it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Knowing Lorca, he'd probably try to recruit the Terran Empire guys to come back to his universe to fight against the Klingons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

When they first describe the planet as being happy and free of conflict my wife said "Lwaxana Troi should really marry this planet". That may be the most Star Trek thing I've ever heard.