Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You'll have to buy new skates and pay a $500 broken blade disposal fee, I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

What model Vapors are those? The older ones have the screw under the footbed. I believe steel is sold in sets of 2 anyway, so you probably would replace both.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Here's how to replace them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dn1GFC8xj0

But to be honest the easy thing to do is to just go to a local store (or your local rink) and have them do it. I broke a runner a couple months ago and it cost me like $20 more to buy the steel at the rink but they installed it and sharpened them. New blades need to be sharpened more the first time because the hollow doesn't exist yet, so if you buy online to save a couple bucks they'll get you on the sharpening.

You're looking at probably $60 all in, so if those are old lovely skates and you don't like them you might just upgrade. If they're fancy skates you like a lot replacing the blade is easy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So I had my first real equipment failure today :smith:

The blade on my left skate split completely down the middle. The crack goes all the way to the bottom on all sides. I have no idea when or how it happened, but I was on the ice for 2 hours and I didn't notice it until I was wiping my blades down in the locker room.

So what are my options here? Is it possible to just replace the blade? If so, about how much is it going to cost me? The boots are still fine, they're well broken in and the rivets are all still holding firm, so I'd rather not get new skates if I don't have to. If I do replace the blade, should I only replace the one or get new ones on both for symmetry's sake? I have Rat Hockey on Monday, so I need to get this sorted out by then.

If you lift the inner footbed/sole, there should be a black plug near the heel. Pull that plug and there should be a screw down in there. Nearly any hocky shop should be able to get you new steel for infinitely cheaper than a new pair of skates.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Verman posted:

If you lift the inner footbed/sole, there should be a black plug near the heel. Pull that plug and there should be a screw down in there. Nearly any hocky shop should be able to get you new steel for infinitely cheaper than a new pair of skates.

I believe the local pro equipment guy who runs a skate shop here will do it for like $60 or $75. He gets the part and does the replacement for whatever the cost is. Find that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Loqieu posted:

What model Vapors are those? The older ones have the screw under the footbed. I believe steel is sold in sets of 2 anyway, so you probably would replace both.

They're Vapor X400's. They're my first ever hockey skates, so they're definitely low end, only like $150 iirc. Pretty much the first thing the guy says in that video review is the holder and runners are not removable. I just checked the warranty and it only covers manufacturer defects, not "damage from normal wear and tear", so I'm sure I'm SOL on that front.

I guess I'll be getting new skates this weekend. I want to stick with the Vapor line. What's gonna be the best bang for my buck at say between $300 and $400?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They sell those runner/blades complete at hockeymonkey for $28 each. You'd need to have a pro-shop swap them which involves rivets.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-tuuk-lightspeed-pro-holder-runner.html

The best thing to do if you have a budget is to go try on skates at that budget and pick what you like best.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chemmy posted:

They sell those runner/blades complete at hockeymonkey for $28 each. You'd need to have a pro-shop swap them which involves rivets.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-tuuk-lightspeed-pro-holder-runner.html

The best thing to do if you have a budget is to go try on skates at that budget and pick what you like best.

$56 + tax + shipping + labor costs + being out $10 for not being able to play Rat Hockey on Monday probably means it'd cost less to just rebuy the same low-end skates new. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and upgrade to new ones.

The X800s look like a nice upgrade and are in my price range at $389 on Hockey Monkey. I'm still gonna head to Gunzo's this weekend and try some on in person. Hopefully they'll have a good deal, and I imagine the first sharpening is free if you buy skates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man, I crack a blade at least once a year . I can't imagine having to just toss a boot because the steel broke

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They're Vapor X400's. They're my first ever hockey skates, so they're definitely low end, only like $150 iirc. Pretty much the first thing the guy says in that video review is the holder and runners are not removable. I just checked the warranty and it only covers manufacturer defects, not "damage from normal wear and tear", so I'm sure I'm SOL on that front.

I guess I'll be getting new skates this weekend. I want to stick with the Vapor line. What's gonna be the best bang for my buck at say between $300 and $400?

Bauer will have a skate in the Vapor line that fits your budget, they basically run up and down the price point from $150 to $a lot on all of their lines. $300 will get you some good quality skates that should last you a very long time. Go try a bunch on though, don't just buy another Vapor and assume it will fit you. Try some other lines too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

prom candy posted:

Go try a bunch on though, don't just buy another Vapor and assume it will fit you. Try some other lines too.

This. Try on the Supreme and the Nexus. Try on CCM's skates. Find the most skate you're willing to pay for in every brand and line and try them on.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

Man, I crack a blade at least once a year . I can't imagine having to just toss a boot because the steel broke

When I started 10 months ago, I didn't know if hockey would be something I'd end up enjoying and sticking with, so I bought low end everything. Now that I know I really like it and I go to the rink 4 days a week, I can actually start getting better gear because I know I'll get value out of it.

And yeah I plan on trying a ton of skates on when I get to the shop this weekend.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

When I started 10 months ago, I didn't know if hockey would be something I'd end up enjoying and sticking with, so I bought low end everything. Now that I know I really like it and I go to the rink 4 days a week, I can actually start getting better gear because I know I'll get value out of it.

And yeah I plan on trying a ton of skates on when I get to the shop this weekend.

Welcome to the club of dudes who spend hundreds of dollars to play god awful hockey in nice gear.

Loving that Pacific Rink bag btw, well worth it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm incredulous as to why you would make a skate without a replaceable blade. The cost savings can't be that much, is it just a ploy to get you to buy a more expensive skate sooner?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bet it's a lot cheaper to make. It eliminates hardware inside the holder, the blade itself is probably simpler because it doesn't need to connect to anything (it just gets molded in). They might even be molding over reject blades that don't meet mounting spec or something.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Welcome to the club of dudes who spend hundreds of dollars to play god awful hockey in nice gear.

Loving that Pacific Rink bag btw, well worth it.

Yeah, still trying to decide if I like having the divider up or not. Can easily fit all of my poo poo plus a case of beer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I loving love the divider. Upper stuff on one side, lower stuff on the other. What a great bag

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

I guess I'm incredulous as to why you would make a skate without a replaceable blade. The cost savings can't be that much, is it just a ploy to get you to buy a more expensive skate sooner?

They usually have the lovely mild steel blades as well that rust if you look at them wrong.

Also what the gently caress are you doing that you crack a blade once a year? I havent cracked a blade since Bauer decided making blades with holes cut into them was a good idea.

Actually now that I think about it I think it was the original Lightspeed steel that was trash.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I got to sub again tonight. Puck drop at 10:30 pm is good for my playing time.

I scored the tying goal (my first since intramurals 15 years ago) midway through the second period on a big rebound. We killed a bunch of penalties in the third, and then lost on the most anticlimactic lazy roller 12 seconds into overtime.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I had to replace one of my blades earlier this year because the same thing happened. On my Vapors I'm able to actually unscrew the blade from the holder though. I have no idea how it held up during the game because when I noticed it afterwards and went to unscrew it the blade came into two pieces immediately. I guess the holder was keeping it just together enough to keep playing.

I just bought a new blade for it online, put that bitch in, and got it sharpened. I replaced both blades at that point because why not. Only...they didn't get sharpened. I left them at the pro shop for a few days assuming it would get done, then came in, paid for it, and went out onto the ice only to find that my blades had no edge whatsoever. So I had to go get them god damned sharpened and miss like half a period while that got done.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I actually need to pick up a new set of steel, mine are getting pretty low and catching your boot on hard turns gets old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about not skating so hard? This isn't the NHL.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's also 11:00PM on a Monday night.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Vargatron posted:

It's also 11:00PM on a Monday night.

Look man, we gotta get up for work tomorrow.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Yeah, still trying to decide if I like having the divider up or not. Can easily fit all of my poo poo plus a case of beer.

I like the divider in because it keeps the shape of the bag better. It doesn't flop over.

But yeah, whoever said upper stuff on one side, lower stuff on the other was right on. The wet bag owns too. I had no idea it had water bottle holders inside the skate pockets for like a month. It blew my mind.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Quote for attention

If you’re looking for MORE HOCKEY, the women’s team out of Romeoville is doing one of their Cross Ice events next Friday at 9:40. It’s $26 for three 22 minute mini games with one minute regulated shifts (horns sound and everything). http://www.rampagehockey.org/ Signups are in the top right corner.

xzzy (you in?) and I have done a bunch of these, I’m signed up to goaltend for this one. Hit it up if you can.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I like the divider in because it keeps the shape of the bag better. It doesn't flop over.

But yeah, whoever said upper stuff on one side, lower stuff on the other was right on. The wet bag owns too. I had no idea it had water bottle holders inside the skate pockets for like a month. It blew my mind.

Same, I'm a divider-up sort for the same reason. I don't use the bottle holder inside cause lol I don't want that thing anywhere near my nasty rear end skates. I just use the pocket on the end on the outside. As a glasses-wearer that inside, high pocket with the fuzzy & soft lining is nice on the spectacles.

Related to that: forgot my drat skate socks for the 2nd time ever. Back a year or so ago I used my street socks and that loving sucked / they were too thick. This time is the first time I ever went barefoot in there and ooooooh boy is that a sensation... kinda squicky feeling :barf:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Barefoot is better than street socks, but I get blisters from it.

Only felt weird for a little bit, I got used to it fast. Maybe it helps that I use those paper thin socks that easton made, not much of a difference (other than the layer prevents blisters).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeehawMcKickass posted:

If you’re looking for MORE HOCKEY, the women’s team out of Romeoville is doing one of their Cross Ice events next Friday at 9:40. It’s $26 for three 22 minute mini games with one minute regulated shifts (horns sound and everything). http://www.rampagehockey.org/ Signups are in the top right corner.

xzzy (you in?) and I have done a bunch of these, I’m signed up to goaltend for this one. Hit it up if you can.

I've already got plans that night, unfortunately. :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Barefoot is better than street socks, but I get blisters from it.

Only felt weird for a little bit, I got used to it fast. Maybe it helps that I use those paper thin socks that easton made, not much of a difference (other than the layer prevents blisters).

Once they were on and warmed up and I was skating I didn't mind too much. Initial foot-jamming and skate removal was pretty gross but also there's a lot of little jabby uncomfortable bits inside these grafs. Where the toe cap meets the boot on my pinky toe being the most uncomfortable. Once the padding warmed up and my foot sunk slightly more into the achilles part it was better. And w/ socks on I never notice that bit. Not a single blister, though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Duke Chin posted:

Related to that: forgot my drat skate socks for the 2nd time ever. Back a year or so ago I used my street socks and that loving sucked / they were too thick. This time is the first time I ever went barefoot in there and ooooooh boy is that a sensation... kinda squicky feeling :barf:

I always keep a spare set of socks in my bag for that reason, cant go without it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I use Bombas socks, a thin on the top with a bit of extra padding on the bottom, works great for me. I tried barefoot once and man was it weird and pretty sweaty.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

D C posted:

I always keep a spare set of socks in my bag for that reason, cant go without it.
I do this now too.

I took my insoles out to dry once and then forgot to put one of them back in. I decided to try going barefoot on the insole-having side and wearing both socks on the non-insole foot. Insole + barefoot ended up being more uncomfortable.

Also these socks are great: https://www.swiftwick.com/shop/hockey/twelve?v=1873

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Went to Gunzo's and tried on like a dozen different styles of skate from $200-800. Found that the boot that fit the best was the Bauer Supreme line, but my size of 9.0 D is apparently super common and they didn't have the S180s (the best ones in my price range) in stock in my size, so they sent me 30 minutes away to another store. I got there and they pulled out my reserved pair, but they accidentally pulled S190s, so after like 15 minutes of searching in the back, they found S180s in my size. So they baked my skates and now I'm waiting for them to form around my feet. :toot:

Gotta be honest getting a skate upgrade feels like when you finally saved up enough money in an RPG to get a better weapon. :black101:

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 11, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Gotta be honest getting a skate upgrade feels like when you finally saved up enough money in an RPG to get a better weapon. :black101:

Prepare to be disappointed with your stat gain.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

All the best stuff is reserved for the poopsockers who do nothing but play this game for a living though. :D

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

Prepare to be disappointed with your stat gain.

You should be able to loot another player's equipment if you beat him in a fight.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You could but the looting animation is really slow.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
our game last night featured:

- a total of 122 shots between the two teams including 78 from our team
- the other team's goalie playing like god drat beer league hasek (he allowed 6, none of which were in any way stoppable)
- 3 awesome tic tac goals that made us look like we knew what we were doing (and they were the only way were going to score on this guy)
- two old timey big time center ice hits
- fight between "that guy" (the dude in his 30s who still talks about juniors almost every game) and "that guy" (the old guy who played in the minors back in the 80s)

it was the most entertaining hockey game i've played in years. the crowd (15 people) was seriously into it. if this keeps happening we're going to be a better entertainment value than the NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
78 shots? the gently caress? Did any defensemen play?

My game last night consisted of us nearly blowing a three goal lead for the second week in a row but we held on for a 6-5 win which is like the beer league equivalent of a 3-2 nhl game.