Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

magikid posted:

People who play games are not good at designing games.

Insert a "necessarily" after that "not". Good game designers play games all the time, but they also pay attention to what's going on and why a particular thing feels fun or feels bad. If you lack that analysis, then you'll tend to just imitate the designs of other games that you enjoyed, without being able to tell if you're using those designs effectively or not.

Good game designers also spend a hell of a lot of time iterating on their designs and refining them to smooth away the rough edges and throw away ideas that don't work. Hobbyists are a lot less willing to throw away something they've spent a lot of time on. I remember listening to some commentary from the creators of BattleBlock Theater (a commercial 2D platforming game; it's super-good go play it). The game has something like a hundred levels in it, and they said they had easily another entire game's worth of levels that they ended up not using because they just weren't very good. Imagine telling a hobbyist game developer that they had to "waste" half their dev time on stuff that wouldn't be in the final product. Except that your average hobbyist won't have the level of experience that these guys did, since they'd made other games before this one, so said hobbyist would need to throw even more content out if they wanted to meet a high bar of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The FF6 randomizer run is still going!

Not for long, unless I take up the PartyParty mantle.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Carpator Diei posted:

So, I assume the video title was a toss-up between the one we got and 'I hate video games'?
[quote]
Funny enough that didn't make the list. :v: And yes, the list exists.
[quote="Carpator Diei" post="478160734"]
Although I'm really curious now: What are your personal favourite SMW romhacks? I mean, you've been talking about bad hacks a lot, but there have to be some good ones... right?
I actually don't have many examples of favorite SMW hacks these days since outside of playing this I haven't played many in years. And I've actually re-formed my opinion of many of the hacks I used to enjoy a lot when I was younger like The Second Reality Project series. They're full of poor design choices like claustrophobic design, random spikes everywhere, extra long levels and cheap difficulty. Maybe Tyty has some opinions? :shrug:

Mysticblade posted:

Can't believe VLDC is over. It's been a fun LP.

So uh, what do we still have alive left in the thread? VLDC's kind of the only thing I've been paying attention to in the thread.
There might be a few more things in store for the thread but I'm not going to start another gigantic project like this turned out to be. And Rockman 4 Minus Infinity and the SMW hack Doseku's playing are still going.
Hey wait weren't you doing FE Midori? :thunk:

Ometeotl posted:

Now it's time for MaGLX2!
:suicide:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Eight friggin' months of VLDC. FP, does that mean that you're going to finish up the Metroid Prime soon-to-not-be-a-trilogy? Or is that going to be a secret?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Does this mean you're gonna finish up the Prime trilogy, FP?

Yes, at some point. I just have to make time for it in my schedule. It's been getting more and more busy lately, which is why it's taken so long for these final videos to be uploaded. We actually recorded these final videos back in late August or early September. So it hasn't been 8 months, it has actually been 10!

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I killed the Midori LP. I just don't have fun LP'ing FE which is weird since I enjoy playing them and making stuff for them.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Good game designers also spend a hell of a lot of time iterating on their designs and refining them to smooth away the rough edges and throw away ideas that don't work.
This is an interesting point that I wanted to back up.

I've currently get a Fire Emblem romhack project in progress (no demo, one coming soon). I've made about 13 maps for this hack so far, but I only have 7-8 chapters done. 5 of these maps have been poorly designed and cannot really be turned into a good chapter because of the map design alone (too linear, too empty, etc). I might be throwing out a 6th as well soon and I haven't even gotten feedback for it. Of the chapters that are getting thrown out, 3 of them have been in response to playtester feedback that went "yeah, this chapter is just kind of meh".

I'm also a hobbyist and prior to this project, most of "design" experience was limited to going "Yeah, this chapter is bad because blah and blah". So it's certainly possible that I'll have more to throw out later, especially once I start messing with more interesting maps.

Well, anyway, what I wanted to say is that iteration is not only commonly seen in game design, but I'd argue it's core to a good game. No matter what idea's you have, you still need to get someone to playtest and see the obvious errors. And sometimes you have something that just isn't fun to play and needs to be reconsidered.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mantis42 posted:

where are the donkey kong hacks

Artix posted:

Hold my beer.

Donkey Kong Country 2: The Lost Levels is notable as a DKC2 hack for several reasons. The first and most prominent one is that...well, it exists at all. The DKC2 hacking community is extremely small, and its drastically different level structure means that it's not as easy as plopping down whatever tiles you want from a nice dropbox like in Lunar Magic or Super Mario Maker. Second, because of the aforementioned level design issue, most of the hacks that do exist are content to change levels by filling them up with Zingers or whatever other bullshit stage hazards you can come up with. Changing the things in levels is extremely easy, and with the sole exception of bananas, literally anything can be changed into anything else. Coins, barrels, cannons, animal buddies, enemies - they all pull from the same "object" pool and can be placed and changed at will. What makes Lost Levels special is that it does neither of these things. Oh, sure, it gets hard - it's a romhack after all - but unlike most of its contemporaries, Lost Levels is a full-on conversion of the game, complete with new and unique levels and bonus rooms.

Now, is it actually good? Ehhhhhhh, sort of. The level design leaves a lot to be desired in places, the camera was clearly not intended to do things that the hacker wanted to, and he relies a bit too heavily on spamming enemies (including using almost every enemy type as early as the second world), but even "mediocre" is pretty impressive, given the general difficulty of hacking DKC2 in the first place. FP and I will be tackling pretty much the entire base game, as well as whatever Lost World levels we manage to scrounge up enough Kremkoins for.

Part 1 - Gangplank Galleon
Part 2 - Crocodile Cauldron
Part 3 - Krem Quay (1)
Part 4 - Krem Quay (2)
Part 5 - Krazy Kremland (1)
Part 6 - Krazy Kremland (2)
Part 7 - Gloomy Gulch (1)
Part 8 - Gloomy Gulch (2)
Part 9 - K. Rool's Keep (1)
Part 10 - K. Rool's Keep (2)
Part 11 - K. Rool's Keep (3)
Part 12 - K. Rool's Keep (4)
Part 13 - The Lost World (1)
Part 14 - The Lost World (2)
Part 15 - The Flying Krock

Artix fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 20, 2018

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 38 - My Gilgamesh Cosplay :siren:

We're finally done faffing about in Kefka's tower! I don't get a chance to experiment with what to do about Goddess' zombification nonsense, and we get a sneak peek at the party I use for Kefka himself.

Artix posted:

Hold my beer.

Oh boy. Unrelated, but Demerine totally took a snipe at you in this video, by the way. A totally rude snipe at around 27:18 :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks, Artix!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love you Artix

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Thank you for the VLDC9 playthrough, FP. I found it super interesting, and a lot of the higher-ranked levels were fairly nice.

Part of me is thinking that a lot of levels were designed with the idea that the player was going to be playing in an emulator with savestate access. Not many levels really seem to be aware of how the original Mario engine only allowed for one checkpoint and always had you one hit away from starting over. I really wished these designs did more to respect the player's time, because a lot of them looked amazing and had cool ideas. By keeping it vanilla, the design of all the levels retained a visual consistency to them that other hacks with custom graphics tend to mess up. Made the original game look downright boring in comparison.

I've seen some -- but not all -- of the VLDCX levels on Youtube here and there. I will definitely play it for myself when the compilation comes around.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 10, 2017

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

Oh boy. Unrelated, but Demerine totally took a snipe at you in this video, by the way. A totally rude snipe at around 27:18 :v:

Less a snipe and more a series of snipes.

With a cannon.

Come at me and all that, I guess.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Demerine posted:

Less a snipe and more a series of snipes.

With a cannon.

Come at me and all that, I guess.

Not a cannon but a pair of pistols that transforms into a shotgun.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Wake Up

Pfhahahahahaha.

The end of the video was great.
Bear Cutter

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can tell that Artix hasn't played a DKC game in a while because he didn't talk poo poo about Squawks at all in that video.

Will enemies that are just off screen enough for you to bump into be a recurring theme?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Christ that DKC hack looks like a mess already.

I do recall Kannon's cannonballs moving into the foreground and losing collision after they hit a surface, like you expected. Do objects like that have weird multivariate shenanigans too?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Christ that DKC hack looks like a mess already.

We are here to see the Dancing Bear because it dances, not because it can dance well.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
It's a shame, if unsurprising, that there's not too much in the way of dkc2 weirdness. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this one though

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can tell that Artix hasn't played a DKC game in a while because he didn't talk poo poo about Squawks at all in that video.

Will enemies that are just off screen enough for you to bump into be a recurring theme?

To be fair, that was a pretty inoffensive Squawks section. I mean, DKC2 proper has a level in World 2 that is both longer and ruder than what the hacker expected out of you there. As for enemies, I'm gonna go with a soft "probably" because I haven't practiced anything past World 3 yet

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Tonight we get ever closer to Hunter's coveted capital. The end is near.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 17

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
It is time to finish off the Red Menace once and for all!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #12: Cossack Final Battle
(Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

And as for hard mode, anyone here good with those crane games?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #12: Red Hopper
(Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, dijondujour and Terror Van)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

poo poo I've never even noticed that miniboss being based on the Nightmare Mother. I guess the boss is pretty much unrecognizable when its actually fun

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
DKC2: Lost Levels - Crocodile Cauldron

Man, remember when this hack was good, and fair, and didn't constantly kick you in the dick? They lasted an entire world!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Green Dixie carrying Dixie and Diddy is my favourite Donkey Kong Country character.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's easily one of the best moments I've ever seen in all my years of romhacking.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Now I'm tempted to find the editor and figure out how to work it to do a bunch of dumb poo poo like that, just to see how many ways you can make the game do things it clearly wasn't made to handle

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Color Printer posted:

Now I'm tempted to find the editor and figure out how to work it to do a bunch of dumb poo poo like that, just to see how many ways you can make the game do things it clearly wasn't made to handle

I looked around and found this page about a DKC2/DKC3 editor but it's not what I'm familiar with: http://donkeyhacks.zouri.jp/toolsE.html

The editor I'm using to look at stuff is this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ezgwn90bem8iru/sdk2_editor0084%2528U%2529.zip?dl=0
I'm hosting it on my dropbox because I honestly have no clue where I got it from at this point. It's also probably outdated but i can't be sure because this is definitely a Japanese program first and foremost and as such the english translation of it is kind of iffy. Documentation is almost non-existent so good luck!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I, for one, really enjoy bonuses and midpoints dropping you off onto enemies.

It's unironically one of my favorite features of DKC2 and I'm glad that the hack author went the extra effort to include some of these moments.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

From the looks of things, the Cat 'O Nine Tails is only dangerous to touch BEFORE he starts spinning fully. Lord only knows why he decided to send you to the Pain Dimension about four minutes in though.

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 14, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
My memory of Cat O' Nine Tails is that their hitboxes are OBSCENELY inconsistent, and they can in fact still hurt you during any of their animations if you're unlucky. To make things worse, the fact that they're located under some high-up collectibles suggests that the developers expected you to use them to collect those things, but the direction they fling you away seems to be either slightly randomized or is influenced by input in some weird way, so they can indeed just send you sailing off into the unknown or plunk you into the drink through a platform. You end up having to ignore them and just do a team throw for those collectibles because trying to use them has a chance of instant death. They're terrible and stupid and frustrating, and their hitboxes don't seem to be aligned right at ANY point, so they're difficult to safely hit even when they're sitting down.

I honestly wonder if the Cat O' Nine Tails functioned differently in test environments or were an early addition that never got cleaned up, because they're one of the few things in DKC2 that just plain don't work. Some hitboxes elsewhere are a little iffy (the vulture boss' eggs are a good example), some mechanics are a little rough around the edges (Squawks, a certain rope obstacle that I'm surprised hasn't appeared yet), but nothing else in the game is so completely non-functional and wrong-headed as Cat O' Nine Tails. I suspect the developers even realized this, as they're one of the rarest (ha) enemies in the entire game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

IIRC, the Cat O' Nine Tails throw you if you jump into them and damage you if you walk/roll into them. It's been a long loving time since I've played anything Donkey Kong related though, so I may be completely wrong.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just always tag throw Dixie (I'm apparently a minority because I prefer to control Diddy) at them before they get up.

Also, thanks Artix for doing this. Rom hacks in general tend to fall short when it comes to capturing the feel of the original, and DKC2 has such a specific feel that I'd imagine it's harder than most to recapture.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 14, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

maybe one day romhackers will put together a definitive version of DKC3 that has the best of both soundtracks

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They need to replace Kiddy Kong with Donkey while they're at it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Augus posted:

maybe one day romhackers will put together a definitive version of DKC3 that has the best of both soundtracks

So in other words just the SNES tracks? :smug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the GBA version of Stilt Village better

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I might not have any more VLDC9 content but I do still have some SMW stuff. I was telling this story to another friend when I realized it was prime content to share here too. Please enjoy the story of the Switch Palace Corner Tile. (if i haven't already explained it in a video or something i forget)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's weird how stuff like that works, and there's something similar in Super Metroid. One time I was sitting at home bored dicking around in some games, and in Super Metroid I randomly decided to try and Spring Ball my way in a lap around Zebes. And I noticed when I started, just to the right of the door that leads into the main part of Crateria (the first room of the game, basically) there's a few empty space tiles just below the ceiling that if hit with the Spring Ball, behave like the ceiling. There's a solid block of space between where Samus "hits" and the actual ceiling.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

FPzero posted:

I might not have any more VLDC9 content but I do still have some SMW stuff. I was telling this story to another friend when I realized it was prime content to share here too. Please enjoy the story of the Switch Palace Corner Tile. (if i haven't already explained it in a video or something i forget)

I noticed this in lunar magic one day and I wondered what it was for. I tried removing it, jumping into the corner, and hey what do you know. Weird as gently caress but whatever works in the end, I guess?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's weird how stuff like that works, and there's something similar in Super Metroid. One time I was sitting at home bored dicking around in some games, and in Super Metroid I randomly decided to try and Spring Ball my way in a lap around Zebes. And I noticed when I started, just to the right of the door that leads into the main part of Crateria (the first room of the game, basically) there's a few empty space tiles just below the ceiling that if hit with the Spring Ball, behave like the ceiling. There's a solid block of space between where Samus "hits" and the actual ceiling.

There are a lot of weird edge cases in Super Metroid's physics system; not surprising considering the variety of terrain the game has and the limits of doing physics calculations on an SNES. The designers mostly worked around these limitations by making sure that the map didn't have any of the configurations that would make them noticeable. Sometimes hacks will forget about that and make use of configurations that allow the player to get permastuck. For example, a downward-sloping ceiling with a flat floor beneath it that's less than one Samus tall, though, where if you run along the floor and hit your head on the ceiling, you'll get trapped in the terrain.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 39 - [Insert Crazed Laughter Here] :siren:

This is it. The finale.

We had a lot of good times in this LP, but I think it's safe to say that I'm never, ever going to LP another Final Fantasy game. Stay tuned for a hypothetical, possible followup video: a post-mortem discussing our impressions of the randomizer itself a little more in-depth, hosted by FeyerbrandX. Maybe. I spent this whole time herding kittens, now it's his turn :v:

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

After watching all the ultimas, stop by and look at a run where only most of the attacks are ultima*

*still most attacks are ultima.

• Locked thread