Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

oh yeah this is the best final fantasy game easily

the best part of chrono trigger is how it actually starts in a few minutes and you dont have to spend half an hour before anything interesting happens

also that theres almost no filler content

i replayed it like four years ago and the only part i got bored in was some of the dino time parts

hell yeah that was an awesome game

chrono cross was also really good, I wish they had kept the series going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

wizard on a water slide posted:

almost every final fantasy game starts in medias res, though

taking forever to get going is a much more trenchant criticism of dragon quest

And not coincidentally, the best final fantasies predate the Square-Enix merger.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im not giving final fantasy 7 credit for starting off good because the first part in the city is false advertising and the rest of the game is slow and boring and samey

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Nov 9, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it was kind of artistic how the first thing you get introduced to after you leave the city and get to the bad 90% of the game is the loving endless chocobo racing/husbandry bullshit

and yes i grinded to the gold chocobo because i was like 13

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

it was kind of artistic how the first thing you get introduced to after you leave the city and get to the bad 90% of the game is the loving endless chocobo racing/husbandry bullshit

and yes i grinded to the gold chocobo because i was like 13

Still better than VIII.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i watched my roommate play parts of the newest one for ps4 and it also seemed like the best part was at the very beginning when the bros are pushing their broken down car down the road and "stand by me" plays and then the rest is basically a single-player mmo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i never played FF7 or 8 or 9 because i had an n64

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
All RPGs suck rear end except Witcher

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fallout new vegas and deus ex are the twin prophets of our times

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

i never played FF7 or 8 or 9 because i had an n64

you didnt miss much

mario 64 is better than all of them combined

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I approach the huddle of nerds talking about final fantasy, popping my collar as I go, slap the textbooks out of your hands and call you all fags

The only good RPG is fallout 4

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Crane Fist posted:

:yikes:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crane Fist posted:

:chloe:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't actually played fallout 4 yet, don't ruin this for me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

you didnt miss much

mario 64 is better than all of them combined

Mario 64 is goat but FF9 is still fantastic

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Mario 64 is goat but FF9 is still fantastic

Yep.

Pity Earthbound 64 never got made, though. :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yep.

it basically did with mother 3, there are a lot of similar characters from the eb64 previews that ended up in m3

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

ogre battle 64

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yep.

Here's my ff9 story

The year it came out I asked for 7. They didn't have it so my dad got me 9 instead. Which ended up being fine because 9 smokes 7 all.day

I still have not finished ff9 and I need to. I think I still have the memory card and I deffo have my discs because they're on top of my TV stand now.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here's my ff9 story

The year it came out I asked for 7. They didn't have it so my dad got me 9 instead. Which ended up being fine because 9 smokes 7 all.day

I still have not finished ff9 and I need to. I think I still have the memory card and I deffo have my discs because they're on top of my TV stand now.

Here's mine: I got my copy of FF9 on the same day my first (undergraduate) paper got accepted for publication. :corsair:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ff7 loving owns for about a billion reasons but people think it sucks because they remember kingdom hearts and advent children more strongly

thread-relevant reason #1: you're literally a band of anti-corporate eco terrorists the whole game through.

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Nov 9, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chillgamesh posted:

ff7 loving owns for about a billion reasons but people think it sucks because they remember kingdom hearts and advent children more strongly

It was the first serious attempt at an RPG for the new platform that wasn't just a rehash of the same style and formula of the 16 bit era, and got a lot right (and a few things hilariously wrong), but the transitional graphics sure haven't aged well.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the models have aged badly and were kinda silly when it was new, but the pre-rendered backgrounds have a crazy level of detail and the fixed camera angles mean the game does things with perspective that you don't get in the earlier games or modern rpgs with camera control

there are ways in which it looks bad and others in which it's aesthetically better than a lot of modern games

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

the models have aged badly and were kinda silly when it was new, but the pre-rendered backgrounds have a crazy level of detail and the fixed camera angles mean the game does things with perspective that you don't get in the earlier games or modern rpgs with camera control

there are ways in which it looks bad and others in which it's aesthetically better than a lot of modern games

Pity that each pissant fight took like 5 minutes to load, also the FMVs and cutscenes were completely superfluous and actually detracted from game play. And of course the dialog was super bad.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Pity that each pissant fight took like 5 minutes to load

thats ff9 (which also owns)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

also the FMVs and cutscenes were completely superfluous and actually detracted from game play. And of course the dialog was super bad.

wat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
final fantasy is garbage for dorks

same for metal gear and all jrpgs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crane Fist posted:

i take it it's the only rpg youve ever played

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

fair but also all video games

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chillgamesh posted:

fair but also all video games

agreed

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

i take it it's the only rpg youve ever played

Read the thread bitch

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

source your extremely woke quotes please

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

source your extremely woke quotes please

my retarded sad brain

but srsly, jrpgs are the worst video game genre, they are the found footage horror movies of gaming

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chillgamesh posted:

thats ff9 (which also owns)

wat
FF6 was a better game in every way, FF9 is p-dece I liked it better then FF6, but less then FF5.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm still mad at how loving stupid Fallout 4 was. How can you gently caress up at writing so bad, that you forget to make the main conceit of your high budget AAA game plot make any sense?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm still mad at how loving stupid Fallout 4 was. How can you gently caress up at writing so bad, that you forget to make the main conceit of your high budget AAA game plot make any sense?

because 99.99% of people who think skyrim of fallout 3/4 are good do not realize quests are a thing,

and i mean this quite literally

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

my retarded sad brain

but srsly, jrpgs are the worst video game genre, they are the found footage horror movies of gaming

MGS 5 was good though, just don't watch any of the cutscenes

Skull face reminds me of tuxedo mask and it's real bad

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bethesda is fuckin garbage

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

because 99.99% of people who think skyrim of fallout 3/4 are good do not realize quests are a thing,

and i mean this quite literally

Skyrim was lame and cliche, but at least the plot made sense. Alduin is coming back to restart the dragon empire, so you've gotta stop Alduin.

None of The Institute's motivations or methods make any sense because they tried to shoehorn in a parable about what it means to be human, and all of the moral and ideological issues with the Railroad are touched upon but never followed through. The only group in the game with understandable motivations, methods, and a consistent ideology are the militaristic fascists.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Skyrim was lame and cliche, but at least the plot made sense. Alduin is coming back to restart the dragon empire, so you've gotta stop Alduin.

None of The Institute's motivations or methods make any sense because they tried to shoehorn in a parable about what it means to be human, and all of the moral and ideological issues with the Railroad are touched upon but never followed through. The only group in the game with understandable motivations, methods, and a consistent ideology are the militaristic fascists.

It's actually a story about losing your child and examining your daddy issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the one thing I'll say on fallout 4's behalf is that I think the core combat gameplay and shooting and stuff is lightyears better than fallout 3 or new vegas, which is reeeally damning with faint praise

I think I would rather play it again than fallout 3