Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sirotan posted:

Literally a thing my boss wants me to do. Wants a list of every little task I perform that he and the rest of the team might not be aware of.

Yeah I'll get right on that.

This is honestly my favourite part of switching jobs. The time between handing in your notice (or getting given a redundancy notice) and actually leaving where people start sweating. My last job I'd made a point of documenting stuff I did as I went along so I was basically on wind down for a month and handing any new projects off to everyone else. The one before that I was made redundant and got like five months notice for them to go through the process, potentially apply for other jobs internally, etc and I documented NOTHING. If you're so sure this job that takes ten or twelve people right now can be done by three guys in Poland, knock yourself out. No, I don't really fancy a trip to Warsaw to train them, as it happens, I have important cartoons to watch in my dressing gown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

If you're so sure this job that takes ten or twelve people right now can be done by three guys in Poland, knock yourself out.

That moment when you find out that the place that decided you were overpaid and unnecessary ended up having to employ three people (each on more than you were on) to do the job you did single handed. :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

That moment when you find out that the place that decided you were overpaid and unnecessary ended up having to employ three people (each on more than you were on) to do the job you did single handed. :allears:

The best part in my case was they wound up bringing it back onshore again and getting people a grade or so higher than I was on to do it. If I hadn't walked straight into another job I might have found it annoying rather than funny though.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah, it's both annoying and satisfying. Scuttlebutt is that this happened with the replacement at my previous job.

Old Boss: Macaroni, you don't contribute enough!
Me: :yotj:
New Candidate: Thank you for the offer, Old Boss. Now that I have a better handle on the scope of the job, you're going to have to pay me a lot more than your initial number. [A lot more than Macaroni made.]

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The last job I switched I started giving them hints they should train up on code support six months in advance and the best I got was one guy installing an IDE a week before I left. I take strange comfort that my code is essentially lost technology and once it becomes incompatible with new software versions they are hosed.

I also got calls for my own position from more than two dozen recruiters. One of them offered close to $20k more than I made at the time, which was slightly tempting but I was already locked in with the new job at that point.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

PierreTheMime posted:

I also got calls for my own position from more than two dozen recruiters. One of them offered close to $20k more than I made at the time, which was slightly tempting but I was already locked in with the new job at that point.

those are absolutely the best calls IME

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

divabot posted:

those are absolutely the best calls IME

Confirmation that yes, everything is on fire and they are panicking like hell.

At $msp job i had an offer come in and let my boss know that I had to go get my bills paid. I spent the week of counter-offers cleaning my desk and clearing my queue, so the second I turned in my resignation letter I had no responsibilities left. My boss saw my desk was already cleared off and told me to take the last two weeks at home.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I was just kicked out of a meeting so that my boss and his boss could discuss how they were going to replace me. Oh no, I guess that means I'll have to go back to browsing the forums now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sirotan posted:

I was just kicked out of a meeting so that my boss and his boss could discuss how they were going to replace me. Oh no, I guess that means I'll have to go back to browsing the forums now.

How's that writeup coming along?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sirotan posted:

Counter offer about to hit your desk in T-minus 30

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Counter offer about to hit your desk in T-minus 30

Counter-counter offer :fuckoff:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Dog_Meat posted:

Last I heard, a lovely job I had ages ago is still looking for my replacement and failing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

IndustrialApe posted:

Last I heard, a lovely job I had ages ago is still looking for my replacement and failing.

The job I left six months ago (which wasn't lovely and I left pretty amicably) replaced me with my direct report who was absolutely ready for the promotion. She's now moved to another role, so they're looking again. I was there two and a half years and I think I was the longest person they'd had in role in the last decade.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think there's a cycle. Company treats IT folks like poo poo, they move on, tell people about it, and the potential hiring pool shrinks. They hire lovely folks who either A. burn out because of how they're treated, or B. get fired. And the cycle continues.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What I'm saying is treat your employees nicely.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

The job I left six months ago (which wasn't lovely and I left pretty amicably) replaced me with my direct report who was absolutely ready for the promotion. She's now moved to another role, so they're looking again. I was there two and a half years and I think I was the longest person they'd had in role in the last decade.

The thing that gets me most about a lot of these stories (not this one) is that institutional laziness creates these hard to replace people and at the same time they treat them in such a way that they're trying to get out ASAP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Big issue is still the same old philosophy of "Raise of more than 8% is outrageous!" while the cost of hiring someone after this person leaves continues to outpace what raises would cost substantially plus the added fun of rolling the dice that person will be as good of a fit.

Businesses are dumb.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

it's not just businesses, non-profit organisations have the same issue and then some (You're doing this for the greater good, why do you want money?).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

IndustrialApe posted:

it's not just businesses, non-profit organisations have the same issue and then some (You're doing this for the greater good, why do you want money?).

When I see the salaries of the executive staff members of these non-profits I don't get the feeling that they are so motivated by the greater good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

iospace posted:

What I'm saying is treat your employees nicely.

But then they might start thinking that they are people! :capitalism:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

Not to my face, but over the phone.

Would still be perma bottom of my 'give-a-gently caress' list.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He is. He is always angry about something and is always pissed off about the network or his download speeds or some bullshit.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

But then they might start thinking that they are people! :capitalism:

My boss today told us he spoke to the CEO and that we're gonna get profit-shares in the near future.
He also said HR should get it into their loving skull that people are probably gonna enjoy working for us more if we pay them well and not try and shortchange people.

I'm slowly beginning to think I found my pod.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GreenNight posted:

He is. He is always angry about something and is always pissed off about the network or his download speeds or some bullshit.

At least those people are pretty easy to identify. Usually they'll mark themselves within a week of your introduction to them and you can handle accordingly for the rest of your interactions in perpetuity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was at a conference and the speaker said that when he gets jobs to unfuck IT departments, the first thing he does is run a script that removes local admin access from all end-user computers.

The people who showed up at the IT office steaming angry were identified as potential problems.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was at a conference and the speaker said that when he gets jobs to unfuck IT departments, the first thing he does is run a script that removes local admin access from all end-user computers.

The people who showed up at the IT office steaming angry were identified as potential problems.

Why do that when you can just do a group policy object that is made to do just that with longer lasting results? Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their competence unless you are wanting you write in some reporting to go along with it.

I guess it helps in those situations where workgroups are a thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Why do that when you can just do a group policy object that is made to do just that with longer lasting results? Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their competence unless you are wanting you write in some reporting to go along with it.

Dude, you don't have to "Well, actually..." an anecdote.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A ticket came in.
A senior technically-not-retired-but-never-in-the-office partner hasn't received some emails to his @outlook.com address and wants to know why.

Cool, I can see some emails from our guys to that address that have failed, let's investigate using Office 365's Mail Flow

quote:

Reason: [{LED=550 SC-001 ‎(SNT004-MC11F22)‎ Unfortunately, messages from 104.47.117.59 weren‎'t sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list.
I don't know what IP address that could be because this should be going from Exchange cloud directly to Outlook cloud? Let's whois that.

quote:

NetRange: 104.40.0.0 - 104.47.255.255
Organization: Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)

:negative:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proteus Jones posted:

Goons gonna goon

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

The primary point of the lecture was reporting. Since the guy was paid to come into places and fix stuff, his scripts also generated a log of all the changes made, and approximated how long it would take to perform manually, to help justify his price tag.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

While developers always are potential problems, we also do actually need local admin to do our jobs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

While developers always are potential problems, we also do actually need local admin to do our jobs.

You may or may not an account with local admin access, but your regular login should absolutely not have local admin.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

you absolutely do. call speakers / salespeople on poo poo they do poorly. Don't bring me a solution to a problem that sucks, when a better solution to that problem is loving obvious.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm rolling out Thycotic Secret Server at a client. They need to unfuck ad a little before discovery will work. In the meantime, high risk workstations are getting their local admin accounts (!) manually added. The local helpless helpdesk guys needed a six step, fully screenshotted documentation pdf on what exactly I mean by "generate a random secure password by clicking this button, enter machine and account info here, change the local account to match." Past that point, Thycotic can do is auto cycling thing once ad and local firewalling is unfuck.

Like, the concept of "make the local password match the website password" was to hard for them. "But I can't change the local password?"

Who the gently caress are these clowns

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'd lose my poo poo if someone interfered with my ability to locally sudo or in any way pull packages/images/containers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's not the users. It's the helpdesk guys who are so zero effort no fucks given that they literally can't put 2 and 2 together.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Like, here's the ultimate challenge: "make the password in this web page and on that pc match"

How might one accomplish this?

If you can't figure this one out, why the gently caress are you working anywhere but arbys

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Methanar posted:

I'd lose my poo poo if someone interfered with my ability to locally sudo or in any way pull packages/images/containers.

Your sudo ability absolutely should not allow you to actually become root, however. sudo su - and sudo -i(and any other tricks to gain a root shell) should be restricted.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Ask me about how allowing people to develop locally unrestricted or more specifically, with callous disregard for their constraints in Prod leads to absolutely insane things like thinking

code:
chmod -R 777 /opt/SERVICE

for services that receive web traffic is in any way acceptable.

Your frantic pleas of "B-b-but our service can't run or log to /opt/SERVICE/var/log" will be met with nothing short of ':fuckoff: please see $Company policies for appropriate logging and application security.' and CC'd the SVP, VP Software Engineering and BCC'd to App-Infra & InfoSec.

Their entire teams credentials were revoked, and the deployment service credentials they Shadow IT'd was suspended within 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What do you do when you have to explain file contexts to them :getin:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 10, 2017

• Locked thread