Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I've done my part to keep this community going by re-regging. If my tenbux can delay or prevent a murder-suicide, then I have a moral duty to do so. Am I a hero? Yes, definitely. I am a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought an SA shirt 😅

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

thanks yall, i'll keep an eye out for it next time there's a sale (i just remembered EOV came out and i can only keep up with one hard kinda-grindy dungeon crawl at a time)
Something important to note. The DLC expansion is in fact geared toward people who have already mastered the game. It's available more or less right off the bat when starting a new game, but don't go there until you have a firm handle on how everything works.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bedlamdan posted:

I've done my part to keep this community going by re-regging. If my tenbux can delay or prevent a murder-suicide, then I have a moral duty to do so. Am I a hero? Yes, definitely. I am a hero.
I pissed someone off enough to buy me a red title, then bought a new avatar a few days later. This, I believe, makes me a double-hero.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Either Lowtax will figure that SA is a social club, and accept that social clubs survive on recurring dues, or he won't. My money is on "won't," dude is super invested in making it as a comedian.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lowtax is pulling in 9000 dollars a year from the SA patreon. He's broke in the 'I don't have a real job and made very bad financial decisions' sense, not in the 'oh god the costs of SA are crushing me' sense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haystack posted:

Either Lowtax will figure that SA is a social club, and accept that social clubs survive on recurring dues, or he won't. My money is on "won't," dude is super invested in making it as a comedian.

He needs to get a job instead of relying on the forum that paid for his income for the last ten years as a single man but can't as a divorced father. He got enough money to pay for the forums but he's using it all on his loving personal expenses.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lowtax go on Chapo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Lowtax is pulling in 9000 dollars a year from the SA patreon. He's broke in the 'I don't have a real job and made very bad financial decisions' sense, not in the 'oh god the costs of SA are crushing me' sense.

What do you think SA's hosting fees are?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, his patreon is EXACTLY what I'm talking about with the "dude is super invested in making it as a comedian" comment. Look at that loving copy, the forums get third billing and it leads off with grousing about revenues.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

What do you think SA's hosting fees are?

For the mostly text-based forum with sub 10k users at any given time? Not almost ten thousand dollars a year. Hosting is not particularly expensive anymore.

e: Hell, 5000 bucks a year get mid-sized business level hosting.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 9, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If Lowtax actually announced that he needed more money to keep the forums running and advertised his Patreon at the same time he would probably get quite a bit more.

Like, I would definitely pay :10bux: a month or whatever to keep posting here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Haystack posted:

Exactly. Just collect 3$ a month or 30 bucks a year (if paid in advance) and go hog wild. Jeez.

Also I didn't know the dude got divorced, that's too bad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Exactly. Just collect 3$ a month or 30 bucks a year (if paid in advance) and go hog wild. Jeez.

I would only pay that if avatar changes, (working) archives and platinum were for free.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Plutonis posted:

I would only pay that if avatar changes, (working) archives and platinum were for free.

Avatars should probably still be paid.

The other two are absolutely part of it, yes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plutonis posted:

I will pay this if Lowtax also goes on Cum Town.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

He divorced a while ago. He's remarried and had a third kid since then.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fool_of_sound posted:

For the mostly text-based forum with sub 10k users at any given time? Not almost ten thousand dollars a year. Hosting is not particularly expensive anymore.

e: Hell, 5000 bucks a year get mid-sized business level hosting.

It depends what kind of hosting you use. It would not surprise me at all to discover that Lowtax was still using some pre-cloud, BYOhardware colo with archaic bandwidth pricing.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If only we could return to the halcyon days of GREAT GOON HOSTING DEALZZZ

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Man I remember the days of Lowtax having to fight with hosting places just to get them to believe he needed 1TB of space. :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nuns with Guns posted:

He divorced a while ago. He's remarried and had a third kid since then.

Well, good for him then!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I was going to comment further but SA is just way too happy to keep on redirecting me to a page where I can get a $100 dollar gift card on Amazon.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/tenderdnd/status/928605949060935680

You have nothing to lose but your +1 Unholy Spiked Chain of Obeisance

This is my new favorite twitter.

https://twitter.com/hawkesdraw/status/917552962997645314

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So Dragon Kings, Nightmares Beneath and Index Card RPG are up on bundle of holding. I'm not buying another bundle, but they've piqued my interest. Can anyone tell me anything about them other than 'they're OSR'?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Well, good for him then!

Yeah, it's good that he's got a happy family.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, it's good that he's got a happy family.

In a way, maybe we're all his family :unsmith:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Castle and Crusades is up on the bundle of holding. Is it any good or utter shite or something in-between?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tasoth posted:

So Dragon Kings, Nightmares Beneath and Index Card RPG are up on bundle of holding. I'm not buying another bundle, but they've piqued my interest. Can anyone tell me anything about them other than 'they're OSR'?

The Nightmares Underneath is a really good game, there's a free artless version available, so go give it a look

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Castle and Crusades is up on the bundle of holding. Is it any good or utter shite or something in-between?

One of the creators is banned from RPGnet for saying that the projects were real-life dungeons complete with monsters and that he'd like to round up some friends with guns and go adventuring.

Your choice to take it from there, I suppose.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

I gave it a light read long ago, and skimming it just now, it still strikes me as modestly cleaned-up AD&D2. Which, eh.

Arivia posted:

One of the creators is banned from RPGnet for saying that the projects were real-life dungeons complete with monsters and that he'd like to round up some friends with guns and go adventuring.

Whoa, yeah, I forgot about that. That, too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arivia posted:

gently caress..

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Arivia posted:

This was literally a joke John Tynes and Greg Costikyan were making like twenty years ago to get people to rethink dungeon crawling as a core RPG activity, christ.

e: Although in their case it was phrased as "you should think about what dungeons are the fantasy equivalent of" rather than "you know what would be cool?"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
There are no jokes on these forums.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Even besides that lovely joke that one of the authors made, Castles and Crusades is mostly AD&D except:

* it uses BAB and ascending AC rather than THAC0 and descending AC
* saving throws are per ability score (as in D&D 5e) rather than per effect-category
* there's a proprietary skill system

It's those last two points that turned me off from the system. It does something like set a target number of either 14 if it's your class's "primary stat", or 18 if it's not, and then add a number to reflect the additional difficulty of the spell-effect/skill-check, and then the player rolls a d20 and adds their character level plus their ability modifier or something.

I just thought it was way too fiddly compared to the standard way TSR-era saving throws are done, and compared to the way you can do a straight d20-roll-under for skill checks. If I wanted to play AD&D, there are better/clearer retroclones.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So what are the best/most interesting retroclones anyways? I've been wanting to give some a whirl but there are a huge number to choose from.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

So what are the best/most interesting retroclones anyways? I've been wanting to give some a whirl but there are a huge number to choose from.

Purely personal opinions:

1). Most of Kevin Crawford's catalogue is pretty choice, though some of his games kind of strain what it means to be a "retroclone" like Godbound, but they're all six-attribute and old monster manual compatible. Red Tide is a game specifically designed to be played with one player and one GM, Stars Without Number is sandbox sci-fi, Godbound is OSR Exalted But Not poo poo, Spears of the Dawn is African fantasy that isn't a heap of lazy stereotypes.

2). Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures is a retroclone with a focus on a specific tone, namely that all characters are young members of a village about to go on their very first adventures out, well, beyond the walls. It's low magic, not very grimdark, more along an Ursula K. LeGuin sort of vibe than R.E. Howard. You have three base classes, then some playbook-like concepts like Witch's Prentice and Would-Be-Knight, and the adventure scenarios aren't all about kicking in doors and looting treasure but, I mean, it's still a retroclone at heart and mechanically works very similarly.

3). Darker Dungeons is a free BECMI-alike that mainly just changes and consolidates some resolution mechanics to make it smoother to run, it's a quick and easy "I want to run an old-school D&D-alike game without any frills" thing, but I can't seem to find a link to the pdfs right now because I guess the creator is in the process of moving things to a new site or something.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Godbound is OSR Exalted But Not poo poo

It literally brought back Exalted 2E style perfect defenses and perfect attacks, with all the problems they entail, except you roll a d20 instead of d10s.

Kai Tave posted:

Spears of the Dawn is African fantasy that isn't a heap of lazy stereotypes.

Stars Without Number was also good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nightmares Underneath by Johnstone Metzger is pretty good. It's got an Arabian theme, and the idea is that dungeons are portals/incursions from a nightmare plane. There's a free version on DriveThru if you want to check it out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There’s a lot of retro-clones that aren’t d&d rules based that are really cool, like torchbearer, dungeon Crawl Classics, World of Dungeons, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"Pure" retroclones that are straight adaptations of existing text:

Swords & Wizardry for Original D&D
Iron Falcon for OD&D + Greyhawk supplement
Labyrinth Lord for Basic/Expert D&D
Dark Dungeons/Darker Dungeons for Rules Cyclopedia
OSRIC for AD&D 1st Edition
For Gold & Glory for AD&D 2nd Edition (also goon-made)

Games that are "based" on retroclones, but have their own style/subgenre/gimmick:

Basic Fantasy is Basic/Expert D&D, but uses attack bonuses/ascending AC, so is a little more user-friendly in that regard

There's Always A Chance converts Basic/Expert D&D into a unified d20-roll-under system. It has a special place in my heart because it's the first game I really ran a long campaign under when I was new to the hobby. Plus it's goon-made.

Scarlet Heroes converts Basic/Expert D&D into a game that can be played solo, or with a DM + only one other player set-up.

Castles & Crusades uses the D&D 3rd Edition framework to try and reinvent AD&D 1st Edition

Crypts and Things uses the Swords & Wizardry framework to set the game in a Conan-esque, swords-and-sorcery world

Beyond the Wall uses the Basic/Expert D&D framework for a sort of pastoral, bucolic setting with young adventurers exploring from their village. It gets a shout-out for its use of PBTA-style playbooks to facilitate character creation and play.

The Big Brown Book converts OD&D into a system that's driven entirely by d6-rolls, plus it's goon-made.

Stars Without Number uses the Basic/Expert D&D framework for a "hard sci-fi" type game heavily resembling Traveller.

Other Dust uses the Basic/Expert D&D framework for a post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting (that's also in the same universe as Stars Without Number).

Silent Legions uses the Basic/Expert D&D framework for a Call-of-Cthulhu-type investigative game about unspeakable Lovecraftian horrors.

Mutant Future uses the Labyrinth Lord framework for a post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting, but one that's more "gonzo/wacky" and is closer to Gamma World and older sci-fi tropes as opposed to, say, the Fallout kind of gritty post-apocalypse

Spears of the Dawn uses the Basic/Expert D&D framework for a Fantasy Africa game that isn't racist.

Searchers of the Unknown is loosely based on OD&D, but is notable for being a game that fits on a single sheet, and takes enough liberties with the rules to be a game that allows for dungeon-crawling without being nearly as punishing as our usual idea of D&D.

Dungeon Crawl Classics uses the D&D 3rd Edition framework for to recreate old-school dungeon-crawls, and especially ones with very deadly traps, gonzo monsters and critical hit tables.

There's actually a lot of retroclones, but these are the ones that I feel comfortable recommending as good games in and of themselves.

• Locked thread