Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Frabba posted:

Ultimately, Dem-leaning independents are unlikely to be as forgiving of a shutdown as those who lean to the right. I agree with not pushing for one. I just don't think they're always losers like you suggested.

Yeah you’re right I was misremembering how the shutdown in the ‘90s played out.

We’re already seeing the popular Senators move to take a hard line on the issue. At this point it’s just a matter of calling all the unpopular ones and telling them to join the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

awesmoe posted:

The most relevant to the women he abused, or...?

Not sure what you're asking, i just found it kinda funny that they'd need to put in a disclaimer that the wapo is owned by a GLOBALIST when the story has nothing to do with that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mister Fister posted:

Not sure what you're asking, i just found it kinda funny that they'd need to put in a disclaimer that the wapo is owned by a GLOBALIST.

Shut the gently caress up lmao.

Edit: oh my god you quoted the Breitbart article not the WaPo one I’m a moron lmao

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 9, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Not sure what you're asking, i just found it kinda funny that they'd need to put in a disclaimer that the wapo is owned by a GLOBALIST when the story has nothing to do with that.

This thread is so hosed that I legitimately still dont know whether you are decrying the fact that wapo is owned by bezos, or that you're pointing out that breitbart is pointing out that wapo is owned by bezos. RIP, thread.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

awesmoe posted:

This thread is so hosed that I legitimately still dont know whether you are decrying the fact that wapo is owned by bezos, or that you're pointing out that breitbart is pointing out that wapo is owned by bezos. RIP, thread.

Really? It was obvious the latter.

Edit, actually it wasn't even the latter, the thing that was weird to me was how they were pointing out that he was a globalist in a story about sexual misconduct, as if it was some sort of relevant disclosure.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 9, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

awesmoe posted:

Wapo being owned by bezos sucks, just like bezos

Breitbart pointing it out is p lol though

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/paulajean2018/status/928450821997629440

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

not rigged

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
A disembodied voice whispers “political machines,” and you turn to see the malicious ghost of Boss Tweed run around the corner.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paula's opponent is joe manchin, the shitbird who sides with republicans against his own party half the time. Super awesome of schumer to back traitors like him

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

joe manchin throws a temper tantrum

quote:

But as the town hall conversation got chippy — and activists on the call brought up points of disagreement with the senator — Manchin exclaimed, “What you ought to do is vote me out. Vote me out! I’m not changing. Find somebody else who can beat me and vote me out."

“Is that an invitation or a threat? I don’t understand,” responded one of the activists.

“Sure, it’s an invitation, you ought to. I can tell that, because we’re on different pages. Are you a Bernie Sanders guy?,” asked the senator.

“Uh, well, I don’t quite see the relevance of that to this conversation,” responded the voter.

“I’m just asking," Manchin said.

“I stand with West Virginians who voted for Bernie Sanders in the primary, in all 55 counties where he won," the voter said.

“Bernie Sanders is not even a Democrat,” said Manchin, who serves with the Vermont independent in party leadership — treading on politically treacherous territory that most other Democrats have avoided at the risk of alienating the party’s restive left wing.

this is the guy the dnc is putting their thumbs on the scale for.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Christ. Does anyone not in their jurisdictions have any means of pressuring people like Schumer or Perez?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Christ. Does anyone not in their jurisdictions have any means of pressuring people like Schumer or Perez?

but Talmonis, I'm assured that if we try to change their minds they might dig in, and become even more recalictrant

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sounds like outside agitation to me, and we can't have that, now can we?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ze Pollack posted:

but Talmonis, I'm assured that if we try to change their minds they might dig in, and become even more recalictrant

Cerebral Bore posted:

Sounds like outside agitation to me, and we can't have that, now can we?

Oh good, the oh so helpful "allies" return. Don't you have a college campus you're supposed to be annoying with badly typed literature?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/zellieimani/status/928160495789625344

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Talmonis posted:

Oh good, the oh so helpful "allies" return. Don't you have a college campus you're supposed to be annoying with badly typed literature?

:lol: wow

any other rightwing attacks you want to trot out?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

As mentioned you're not an ally, you're just an obstacle that needs to be moved out of the way.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/928734720615120896

:allears: i love keith ellison so much

edit: this is what he's talking about

https://twitter.com/RoseAnnDeMoro/status/928411303135215621

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Keith owns p. hard, yeah.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

joe manchin throws a temper tantrum

this is the guy the dnc is putting their thumbs on the scale for.

Manchin is a democrat who's skating by on incumbency advantage. The party doesn't believe a new democrat could win the seat, so they're doing everything they can to keep Manchin there.

But I feel like you probably already know this.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Shouldn’t the party remain neutral?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chilichimp posted:

Manchin is a democrat who's skating by on incumbency advantage. The party doesn't believe a new democrat could win the seat, so they're doing everything they can to keep Manchin there.

But I feel like you probably already know this.

so it's totally ok for the party to rig primaries if they deem it necessary? are you really trying to argue this?

theCalamity posted:

apparently that's not pragmatic enough

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is important that the democratic party prevent primaries from the left by any means necessary

also, if the left wants to be heard, they need to win primaries

also, the democrats are not the enemies of the left, why would you say such a thing

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

so it's totally ok for the party to rig primaries if they deem it necessary? are you really trying to argue this?

apparently that's not pragmatic enough

No. I'm just pointing out that's why they're doing it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Dem establishment has absolutely no idea about who is electable and who isn't, though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chilichimp posted:

No. I'm just pointing out that's why they're doing it.

who gives a poo poo why they're rigging a primary?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Cerebral Bore posted:

The Dem establishment has absolutely no idea about who is electable and who isn't, though.

This is the absolute truth. Who looked at John Kerry and thought that he could win? It's like none of these people learned the basic laws of respect and charisma in high school.

Or maybe my high school was different from other people's but the earnest nerd ALWAYS LOST.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Jesus Christ. Judge Roy Moore is a pedophile and this could potentially flip the senate from R to D next year and yall just go, "won't matter lol", and get back to bitching about democrats.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Yeah I agree democrats should't be allowed to support and fundraise for a sitting democratic U.S. senator, that would be loving insane.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Jesus Christ. Judge Roy Moore is a pedophile and this could potentially flip the senate from R to D next year and yall just go, "won't matter lol", and get back to bitching about democrats.

It won't matter, because it's loving Alabama and this state is terrible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah I agree democrats should't be allowed to support and fundraise for a sitting democratic U.S. senator, that would be loving insane.

they shouldn't while he's in the middle of a primary. this is democracy 101 kinda stuff. the party should remain neutral during the selection of its candidates so the strongest one can be chosen

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

they shouldn't while he's in the middle of a primary. this is democracy 101 kinda stuff. the party should remain neutral during the selection of its candidates so the strongest one can be chosen

Historically speaking, this is not actually true when it comes to primary challenges to incumbents. In the vast majority of cases, the party supports the incumbent, as they are already holding the seat.

It is usual for the party to remain neutral if there is no incumbent, which is why 2016 was abnormal. The situation in West Virginia is more typical of what usually occurs.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Brony Car posted:

This is the absolute truth. Who looked at John Kerry and thought that he could win? It's like none of these people learned the basic laws of respect and charisma in high school.

Or maybe my high school was different from other people's but the earnest nerd ALWAYS LOST.

yeah but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6i-gYRAwM0

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

who gives a poo poo why they're rigging a primary?

Who gives a poo poo if you don't give a poo poo? It's a loving discussion thread.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Historically speaking, this is not actually true when it comes to primary challenges to incumbents. In the vast majority of cases, the party supports the incumbent, as they are already holding the seat.

It is usual for the party to remain neutral if there is no incumbent, which is why 2016 was abnormal. The situation in West Virginia is more typical of what usually occurs.

that's hosed up, sorry. rigging the election for a traitor like manchin is beyond the pale

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

7c Nickel posted:

I get that you're mad about people criticizing your political idols, but you could try to pick something more pertinent to justify your complaining about complaining.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Condiv posted:

No that's really dumb. Fundraising for incumbents during their term is incredibly important and a bar on doing it before the primary would cripple the congressional campaign operations generally.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chilichimp posted:

Who gives a poo poo if you don't give a poo poo? It's a loving discussion thread.

i mean, why are you even trying to justify it? it's unjustifiable at this point, especially wrt a traitor like manchin who voted for sessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

theCalamity posted:

The West Virginia Democratic Party? Yes. The West Virginia Federation of Democratic Women? Not unles they want to. Chuck Schumer? Not unless he wants to.

the evidence of “rigging” here is literally stickers on tables, and we don’t have any indication who placed them. Like if the WV Democratic Party precluded Swearingen from putting stickers on tables, but allowed Manchin to put stickers on tables, that’s bad. Is there any indication that’s what happened?

We want the party to be neutral during the primary. But we also want the party to support democrats during their term in office. There’s an inherent tension there. Like maybe the party should stop outwardly supporting the elected democrat X months before the primary election, but they shouldn’t stop years before the election just because some nice lady with an ironic name announced her intent to run in the primary.

• Locked thread