Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

I skipped a few pages because goddamn this thread moves fast but the chapter approved stratagems and warlord trait for sisters - those are really not encouraging. And I'm not sure what I'd do with that relic.

Oh well, I don't know what I was expecting.

I'm kinda hoping it was just a taste and that there are some better stuff held within. The relic isn't bad, but I still prefer having a massive chainsaw on my Canoness -1 hit or no, it's just so much cooler than a regular power sword! Then again can anyone use a relic? I could shove that on a Celestian Superior and that would be pretty nice since I can't give her a giant chainsaw.

Edit: Oh and we probably won't know about Martyrdom for sure till it's out, also if the list of strat's and stuff is even real.
Edit2: vvvv Okay then ya I probably won't be using it, chainsaws are better.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cainer posted:

I'm kinda hoping it was just a taste and that there are some better stuff held within. The relic isn't bad, but I still prefer having a massive chainsaw on my Canoness -1 hit or no, it's just so much cooler than a regular power sword! Then again can anyone use a relic? I could shove that on a Celestian Superior and that would be pretty nice since I can't give her a giant chainsaw.

Any Character who isn't a named character.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Cainer posted:

Edit: Oh and we probably won't know about Martyrdom for sure till it's out, also if the list of strat's and stuff is even real.

I am operating under the assumption that there will never be a codex - if these are stopgap, they're not too bad, but that requires optimism.

A multi-Canoness blob in a supreme-hq detachment packed into an immolator with melee weapons actually seems like it would be really fun, but that's a lot of model investment for a gimmick

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll be surprised if they don't release a codex for SoB. It would be kinda lovely of them to release Celestine and 2 other SoB as plastic and never expand more stuff for them or release a codex. I have faith.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'll be surprised if they don't release a codex for SoB. It would be kinda lovely of them to release Celestine and 2 other SoB as plastic and never expand more stuff for them or release a codex. I have faith.

If they're committed to updating every army they should at least get a codex. So some sort of release is inevitable.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Giant Isopod posted:

I skipped a few pages because goddamn this thread moves fast but the chapter approved stratagems and warlord trait for sisters - those are really not encouraging. And I'm not sure what I'd do with that relic.

Oh well, I don't know what I was expecting.

e: Actually, question, I was assuming "Martyrdom" was garbage, but can the character that dies use the free act of faith to heal itself? I assume not?

I don't know about the heal, but it certainly isn't garbage to have celestine swing again as she dies.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

AnEdgelord posted:

If they're committed to updating every army they should at least get a codex. So some sort of release is inevitable.

They’ll fold it into another Imperial Agents Codex, mark my words.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is there a reliable discounter on the net to buy GW boxes?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

Is there a reliable discounter on the net to buy GW boxes?

Boxes of minis? There are plenty - what country are you in?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Endman posted:

They’ll fold it into another Imperial Agents Codex, mark my words.

I honestly wouldn't mind that, my SoB force is very soupy. Inquisitor, couple of acolytes, bunch of priests(with giant chainsaws!), some penitent engines and I'm still thinking of kitbashing some sisters of silence with some skittles helms and deathwatch storm shields to make some crusaders. I just need to find a decent place to get the shields on mass. Then again I could just use them as Sisters of Silence, probably change their colors cause all that gold is bleh.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This was posted on the GW website. Is that the old school sisters backpack in the lower corner there? A guy at my flgs just mentioned it and I don't know the sisters models well enough to discern anything.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This was posted on the GW website. Is that the old school sisters backpack in the lower corner there? A guy at my flgs just mentioned it and I don't know the sisters models well enough to discern anything.

Identical to the one I have on my work bench atm. The trim around the middle edge is the giveaway. I don't think the seraphim in the triumvirate set had em.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Ya those look like regular backpacks for the sisters.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I need to pad my existing models out, as I can't really play in the 2k bracket. I also would like to get some models from this decade. For a force of mainly sisters with some inqusitor palling around,

I am leaning towards either:
- A knight, because it seems like a good way to up the point count that's relatively agnostic to your main faction
or
- A small group of Dark Angels, because I think their ridiculously overwrought aesthetic mixes well with the sisters vehicles-as-shrine look

I have no idea how DA plays, that decision is based purely on their look.

Comedy option: Buy a chinese warhound and plaster it with fleur-de-lis, points deficit solved.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Knight is a more succinct way to do it and how I'd fill it out.

OTOH you can really go ham on some Ravenwing bikers if you like ornate vehicles.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

OTOH you can really go ham on some Ravenwing bikers if you like ornate vehicles.
The basic bikers are just normal marine bikers with a couple of upgrade parts added on. Black Knights are the ornate ones with plasma and fancy melee weapons. They are also overpriced and ineffective.

I'd wait for the new codex before running anything Dark Angels-related, but Deathwing is pretty alright right now. They ignore morale entirely, can mix and match weapons within squads, and Deathwing Knights are just :black101:.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Safety Factor posted:

The basic bikers are just normal marine bikers with a couple of upgrade parts added on. Black Knights are the ornate ones with plasma and fancy melee weapons. They are also overpriced and ineffective.

I'd wait for the new codex before running anything Dark Angels-related, but Deathwing is pretty alright right now. They ignore morale entirely, can mix and match weapons within squads, and Deathwing Knights are just :black101:.

Ignoring morale on 5-man squads of guys with LD8+ isn't all that big a deal though, is it? Especially since if they didn't have that they'd still be marines who get a reroll.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ignoring morale on 5-man squads of guys with LD8+ isn't all that big a deal though, is it? Especially since if they didn't have that they'd still be marines who get a reroll.
Just saying it's a benefit. :shrug:

It's worth bumping Deathwing terminators up by 2-3 models though. It gives their loadouts a little more room to breathe and you can add a couple of thunder hammer/storm shield mooks to hopefully soak up anti-armor shots (or make it into melee and clobber things) while still maintaining a decent amount of firepower.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Giant Isopod posted:

I need to pad my existing models out, as I can't really play in the 2k bracket. I also would like to get some models from this decade. For a force of mainly sisters with some inqusitor palling around,

I am leaning towards either:
- A knight, because it seems like a good way to up the point count that's relatively agnostic to your main faction
or
- A small group of Dark Angels, because I think their ridiculously overwrought aesthetic mixes well with the sisters vehicles-as-shrine look

I have no idea how DA plays, that decision is based purely on their look.

Comedy option: Buy a chinese warhound and plaster it with fleur-de-lis, points deficit solved.

I generally wouldn't advocate investing that many points into a single model at that level. It's not fun to lose a quarter of your army to turn 1 shooting without ever activating your centerpiece model.

What about a cheap set of Dark Vengeance? I assume that's pretty cheap these days (we have a box at my FLGS at 40% off).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Do you think GW will ever come up with a fix for how powerful top of 1 shooting and charges is?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

That's going to be really hard, it's kind of intrinsic to a turn based game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Do you think GW will ever come up with a fix for how powerful top of 1 shooting and charges is?

Completely changing the turn structure would help. Possibly the old DoW night fight rules. I think this edition is absolutely intended to be brutal, bloody and mostly settled by turn 3, which is fine if there's lots of interesting moving parts but can suck if it means "my gunline blows you away on turn 1 or your assault units multi-charge my whole army, game over."

Some counter-charging Bullgryn:

Living Image fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 9, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

Doesn't stop chess players.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

they did it was called epic and it was rad

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

chutche2 posted:

Yes, that fix is Horus Heresy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

30k doesn't fix it any more than 8th edition. The issue is inherent to the game's turn structure and the only real way to mitigate it would be an alternating turn system of some kind.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

30k got dropped hard the moment 8th edition arrived here unfortunately. I haven't been able to get a single game since then. Didn't get to play it much before either since 8th ed was announced basically right after I got my army to a decent size.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

chutche2 posted:

I always thought harshly limiting gun range, and charging back at 6" range might force people to move. Balance it by making shooting more deadly when up close.

You could also make everyone's BS worse but improve it as people get closer. -1 at long range, no mod at medium range and +1 when close. Would have to change most weapons and units though. The main aim would be to force people to move to seek out the best chance to kill with shooting.

I am bias though, I like cqc and have had my fill of rushing players camped at the far edge on Hammer & Anvil. My fault for not bringing enough Kommandos.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

chutche2 posted:

I was brainstorming some options for this - stratagems might be a nice way to do it, add one or more 0 cost strategems that the player who went second can use once per battle as long as they didn’t choose to play second (stealing from hearthstone’s “Coin” mechanic).

The best one I’d come up with was “set the result of a single dice roll to 1. It cannot be re-rolled by any means”. I call it “Fate’s pendulum” because I can come up with needlessly portentous names for mechanical abilities too!

As the player going second, having effectively a “hand” of free effects you can judiciously deploy to try and mitigate your disadvantage could be interesting.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You could always do what Bolt Action does, with alternating random activations. Of course, that would defeat the purpose of shortening the game as it would take forever.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
For real though Epic has amazing turn structure and gently caress I wish anyone here played it.

I've got a leman russ company, shadowsword, and 2 infantry companies from GW plus lots of third party 6mm miniatures for artillery, transports, and stormtroopers + valks

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 10, 2017

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

bonds0097 posted:

What about a cheap set of Dark Vengeance? I assume that's pretty cheap these days (we have a box at my FLGS at 40% off).

Yeah I might look around for that - probably the worst time to do so now since I imagine demand will jump up here soon.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

chutche2 posted:

For real though Epic has amazing turn structure and gently caress I wish anyone here played it.

I've got a leman russ company, shadowsword, and 2 infantry companies from GW plus lots of third party 6mm miniatures for artillery, transports, and stormtroopers + valks

Where you at? My IF and Tyranid armies have been gathering dust for too long.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Noise Marines performing for a live studio audience in the Eye of Terror:

Chaos Lord of Slaanesh:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Boxes of minis? There are plenty - what country are you in?

USA

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

they did it was called epic and it was rad

What is the turn structure like in Epic?

Doc's Discount Game Store is a great one, if a little slow to ship sometimes.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

What is the turn structure like in Epic?

Doc's Discount Game Store is a great one, if a little slow to ship sometimes.

Epic's turn structure has you activate one unit, then your opponent activates one unit. Each force has a strategy rating you can roll against to try and seize initiative to activate two units in a row whenever you want (plus other uses for it), with Space Marines as an example having a 1+ strategy rating (with modifiers being able to bring it down) while guard had something like a 3+, and if you failed I believe that unit can't activate at all that turn. It's been a while so I forget the exact penalty for failing it. Orks were fun where I think they had like a 4+ for doing complicated things (like aiming) and a 1+ or 2+ if you were trying to take a double move or charge

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 10, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Which weapon options (and how many of each) do all the Calth models come with? Like the tacticals, the termos, the dread

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

Which weapon options (and how many of each) do all the Calth models come with? Like the tacticals, the termos, the dread

Tacticals:

3xFlamer
3xMeltagun
3xPlasma Gun
3xHeavy Bolter
3xMissile Launcher
3xPower Sword
3xPower Fist/Lightning Claw
3xPlasma Pistol

Terminators:
Powerfists
Lightning Claws (single or paired)
Combi-Weapon (Plasma/Melta/Flamer)
Heavy Flamer
Power Sword
Grenade Harness

Dread:
Multi-Melta
Kheres Assault Cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Tacticals:

3xFlamer
3xMeltagun
3xPlasma Gun
3xHeavy Bolter
3xMissile Launcher
3xPower Sword
3xPower Fist/Lightning Claw
3xPlasma Pistol

Terminators:
Powerfists
Lightning Claws (single or paired)
Combi-Weapon (Plasma/Melta/Flamer)
Heavy Flamer
Power Sword
Grenade Harness

Dread:
Multi-Melta
Kheres Assault Cannon
The terminators don't have a combi-weapon in their kit, but each of the MkIV tactical squads do.
:goonsay: