Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Same. How am I supposed to play someone else when there's a rat man with mind control powers and summons?

interesting to note that just because you pick a class doesn't mean you're locked into a style of play.

I was the Mind Thief in one friend's copy and the Tinkerer in another.

For my MT, I removed all the summons, because aside from a few spoiler instances I think summons are probably the weakest aspect of gloomhaven's focus paths, and turned my mind thief into a mostly-invisible fast moving assassin. In one level I managed to ghost through two rooms worth of monsters to grab a treasure, then rematerialized and killed them all slowly walking back to the start.

In the other group the MT player went super heavy on the summons and versatile augments, so he overall does less damage but has more tricks up his sleeve besides "oh poo poo now I'm invisible my name is paul and this is between y'all"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

jmzero posted:

Note that it's super-worth-it to find some minis (or at least some cardboard standees) to use as summon creatures, even if they don't match the summon name perfectly.

The little cardboard discs feel really lame, and are hard to keep track of on the map. This, and the tendency of some of the map sections to warp a bit, are the only complaints I have with the Gloomhaven components (pretty short list for 22lb'o'cardboard).

How timely.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got space empires 4x in and I'm looking to playing this more than eclipse. I played that 6-7 times but this game is a lot less fiddly with stats tracking. And Great Zimbabwe. :getin: Can't wait for the Antiquity preorder to come in

jmzero posted:

Or if you want some Space Alert style "WTF are we doing? Netgun/Boulder combo?", start with like Cragheart/Mindthief/Tinker.

*takes notes*

EBag
May 18, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

For my MT, I removed all the summons, because aside from a few spoiler instances I think summons are probably the weakest aspect of gloomhaven's focus paths, and turned my mind thief into a mostly-invisible fast moving assassin. In one level I managed to ghost through two rooms worth of monsters to grab a treasure, then rematerialized and killed them all slowly walking back to the start.

In the other group the MT player went super heavy on the summons and versatile augments, so he overall does less damage but has more tricks up his sleeve besides "oh poo poo now I'm invisible my name is paul and this is between y'all"

Yah MT is pretty cool and has a fairly diverse range of playstyles. I've been playing MT and the wife has been playing Scoundrel, surprisingly we've managed to make them work together despite not really having much AOE or support abilities, but they're both capable of dishing out some crazy damage. I've tailored my deck to focus mostly on a mix of ranged attacks with disabling effects like stun and disarm, and then a couple aguments and hard hitting melee attacks for some massive direct damage. I do include the rat swarm most of the time to tank a bit when we get an overwhelming number of enemies and maybe get some poison in but yah mostly they're way too slow to keep up if you don't throw them out in combat.

The Scoundrel also has a pretty good mix of ranged and melee attacks but she's focused pretty much purely on dishing out a huge amount of damage. One of our boss fights only last for I think 2 rounds because we just hosed them up immediately.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just don't play as the Tinkerer.

The Tinkerer loving sucks.

(Mind Thief for life)

damnit this is what I was planning on playing, does he actually suck?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

He doesn't suck, he's perfectly fine. He's more on the support side of things, but he's got some decent summons, and some powerful single-use attacks that will carry you through if you're judicious about using them.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Around the same time that I KSed Gloomhaven, my friend KSed something called Dungeon Degenerates. It has essentially no BGG presence and I've never heard any mention of it anywhere aside from him. How do people even find out about these things?

http://dungeondegenerates.com

Anyway, his game has arrived while mine has not, so we may get a play in. I can appreciate the D&D blacklight poster artwork, but the strain of looking at that board for an hour or more might take its toll. I also expect it to be a barely play-tested garbage fire, so if it's at all enjoyable that will be a pleasant surprise! The 42-page rulebook does not bode well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, if I haven’t gotten a Gloomhaven shipping email, how do I find out my tracking number? Do I need a UPS account?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The End posted:

That 'game' looks like a perfect parody of what a 2017 Kickstarter campaign is - page after page of dubious looking minis with a rulebook draft farted out 3 days before the end of the campaign (obviously to disguise the pretty ho-hum mechanisms of the game). Have people even noticed that at 16mm scale, most of the minis are going to look like poo poo no matter what?

Even Lords of Hellas, another blatant toybox for millennials, had some innovative gameplay ideas (although for the most part yet another dudes on a map game).

I look forward to seeing this go on clearance as quickly as Cry Havoc did.

It wont go on retail probably. It's by the same guys who are doing Mythic Battles: Pantheon. Models are great, gameplay is probably great, but they know they're going into a very niche market.

I honestly just want a lot of those large figures myself, for other campaigns. But that Apocalypse set is definitely one I want to consider getting, just to have.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, if I haven’t gotten a Gloomhaven shipping email, how do I find out my tracking number? Do I need a UPS account?
Yes, create a UPS My Choice account, the basic is free.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

yeah I never got an email, but I made a UPS my choice account and it gave me my tracking number and stuff.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm being hyperbolic but I had WAY more fun playing as the Mind Thief, and as Tinkerer was out-damaged by a Cragheart and a Spell Weaver.

Tinkerer has the largest starting hand - 12 cards, but a large number of their abilities are loss actions, so you get to use them once per scenario.

I maintain that summons require such timing and correct situation that relying on them is a recipe for frustration, so that leaves the Tinkerer with ranged attacks and healing, and even those are often loss cards. He has 3 starting AOEs, which is cool, but again, 1-time use.

I'm certainly biased - in any game where I can choose a play style I choose 'whatever gets me as close to the enemy as possible' so ranged attacks and healing really isn't my bag.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You really have to look at the map for summons to be worth it. Summons are super slow so if the scenario expects you to be in each room like 2 rounds at most, skip it. There are some scenarios where you have defend and at least one scenario where it sets up a perfect tower defense where you can use a ranged summon to plink at things. Given the opportunity, though, a summon can do a decent amount of damage.

Spell Weaver owns. Great damage, great mobility, and ludicrous amounts of XP, but I think they nerfed that part.

Cragheart is...difficult.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, I apparently already have a My Choice account, but I can't find anything about a package on the way, so I'll just wait (semi) patiently.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I haven't received a single update or shipping notification about Gloomhaven ever. I didn't back or order Gloomhaven, but we're all sharing.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Looking at the FFG sale, are Elysium or Via Nebula good? And if so, what is their gameplay like?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Paper Kaiju posted:

Looking at the FFG sale, are Elysium or Via Nebula good? And if so, what is their gameplay like?

Via Nebula is good, yes. Elysium is OK but I wouldn't hurry to play it again.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Question for Gloomhaven: is it more campaign style, where you want the same player to play the same character until they retire, or can you swap around players and characters at a moment's notice?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

OmegaGoo posted:

Question for Gloomhaven: is it more campaign style, where you want the same player to play the same character until they retire, or can you swap around players and characters at a moment's notice?

It's campaign style. While you can technically have multiple groups going, and even have the same class (but different characters) in each group, the fact that you would need to switch out the modifier deck each time makes it a hassle. That said, if the *characters* stay consistent, having different people playing them isn't a huge deal, but I don't think that I personally would enjoy that as much. Retiring a character and opening a new box of excitement is a great feeling, and if I didn't feel the same ownership of the character I don't think it'd be as big of an impact.

I would advise, though, that when you're picking your first personal quest, that you try to stick with ones that you have some level of control over. "Do Two Missions in the Swamp and then complete this two-quest chain that unlocks sounds quick, but it can be a little frustrating when there's no swamp missions in sight. Similar for trying to kill X of a specific monster.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I want to like Elysium more than I do. It feels like it has a neat drafting mechanism, but in my admittedly limited experience, players "follow" each other a bit too much, although even in that experience I should have realized that I wasn't going to get those cards I wanted and should have gone to the lesser desired colors. Art is great, though.

It also feels like it needs an expansion to add a bit more variety, but apparently the company doesn't think the market is there to warrant the printing/art costs.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 9, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Aghama posted:

Yes, create a UPS My Choice account, the basic is free.

Awesome, thank you! Looks like I get my copy Tuesday afternoon.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

I would advise, though, that when you're picking your first personal quest, that you try to stick with ones that you have some level of control over. "Do Two Missions in the Swamp and then complete this two-quest chain that unlocks sounds quick, but it can be a little frustrating when there's no swamp missions in sight. Similar for trying to kill X of a specific monster.

Seconding this. My Cragheart quest is kill X of Y monster using Z unique weapon. I killed many of those fuckers before we found Z. It feels a bit grindy to have to go after more Ys now.

But I want to open a box dammit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

WASHINGTON—Saying the financial risks and hours of hard work would pay off in the long term, former president Barack Obama revealed Thursday that he has sunk his entire life’s savings into the development of a tabletop game based on the American presidency.

Obama confirmed that over the past 10 months, he has spent the bulk of his family’s net worth to create Commander In Chief: Executive Power, a hybrid role-playing and board game about running a presidential administration. He has reportedly devised more than 50 possible storylines players may encounter while they work together to complete a term in the Oval Office, planning fiscally sound federal budgets, negotiating trade deals with foreign countries, and delivering aid to states struck by natural disasters.

https://politics.theonion.com/obama...SocialMarketing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A COIN game about a four-party parliamentary system with the four factions representing far right, center right, center left, and far left.

Your balancing mechanism could be the leader after each Election card (the propaganda phase in Cuba Libre) becomes Prime Minister, but it actually comes with more challenges than powers and acts as a rubberband mechanism.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I'm being hyperbolic but I had WAY more fun playing as the Mind Thief, and as Tinkerer was out-damaged by a Cragheart and a Spell Weaver.

Tinkerer has the largest starting hand - 12 cards, but a large number of their abilities are loss actions, so you get to use them once per scenario.

I maintain that summons require such timing and correct situation that relying on them is a recipe for frustration, so that leaves the Tinkerer with ranged attacks and healing, and even those are often loss cards. He has 3 starting AOEs, which is cool, but again, 1-time use.

I'm certainly biased - in any game where I can choose a play style I choose 'whatever gets me as close to the enemy as possible' so ranged attacks and healing really isn't my bag.

I started with Tinkerer which paired great with Brute. Now I'm Spellweaver and early on I made myself into a one-person SWAT team where I use the Move 8 (Jump) to sail across a room to kick open a door, then AoE any bastards inside with a card I enhanced to add wounding (preferably Crackling Air is on by now), then use my cloak to turn invisible and avoid the subsequent reprisals :ninja:

I mean after that I might be hosed if I haven't planned right but under the right circumstances it's great fun.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Huxley posted:

A COIN game about a four-party parliamentary system with the four factions representing far right, center right, center left, and far left.

Your balancing mechanism could be the leader after each Election card (the propaganda phase in Cuba Libre) becomes Prime Minister, but it actually comes with more challenges than powers and acts as a rubberband mechanism.

Die Macher, but with Ambush and Kidnap special activities? I'd play it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The SU&SD review said that Pandemic Legacy - Season 2 is a continuation of season 1, though I guess only loosely? My girlfriend wants to play in our Season 2 game, while simultaneously playing through Season 1 with some of her friends. Is there anything in S2 that would be a direct spoiler for S1?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The SU&SD review said that Pandemic Legacy - Season 2 is a continuation of season 1, though I guess only loosely? My girlfriend wants to play in our Season 2 game, while simultaneously playing through Season 1 with some of her friends. Is there anything in S2 that would be a direct spoiler for S1?
There are a few things that would be spoiled if you played S2 while playing S1, yeah.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fenn the Fool! posted:

E: Listen to above.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
got my gloomhaven notification (in Michigan), though i dunno when i'll be able to actually play it

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The scoundrel is a way better first class than the Brute imho. This is not in the least because the scoundrel is comically good AND has an ability that is a ridiculous loot hover and will result in you swimming in cash.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If anyone near Chicago gets a copy and isn't gonna be able to play it, I'll give you my copy and cash later :(

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I would play the hell out of that.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The scoundrel is a way better first class than the Brute imho. This is not in the least because the scoundrel is comically good AND has an ability that is a ridiculous loot hover and will result in you swimming in cash.

That card got massively nerfed for the reprint (move 2 instead of 4).

I'd say Brute is better than Scoundrel for new players, because while the Scoundrel's cards might be superficially straightforward, she is very fragile and needs to be mindful of her position WRT to both enemies and allies to play optimally. Also card management can be an issue with only 9 cards and no way to recover.

Also whoever said Tinkerer is bad is :wrong:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanna know when sites like miniature market are going to get Gloomhaven in stock :(

I thought the guy said he wasn't going to be selling it via retail channels?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

S.J. posted:

I thought the guy said he wasn't going to be selling it via retail channels?

You must be thinking of some other game. 35k copies are going to retail ("enough to saturate the market for years" said the guy who's helping Isaac with distribution).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ojetor posted:

You must be thinking of some other game. 35k copies are going to retail ("enough to saturate the market for years" said the guy who's helping Isaac with distribution).

Maybe I'm thinking of his first kickstarter. I'm okay with being wrong :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is founders of gloomhaven going to be retail at some point?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Also whoever said Tinkerer is bad is :wrong:

Tinkerer is bad with less than 4 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Still no Gloomhaven or shipping notice here... shouldn't have order an add-on I guess