Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
Star Wars use to be so cool with everything being Cannon, but this Legends bs is so disappointing. So many great story lines have disappeared. Thrawn was way cooler than he currently being portrayed in the Rebels show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I hear his books are good.

Anyway, just think of all the oceans of hot trash that got thrown out with the rare gem. Lightsaber knees!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

BraveJoe posted:

Star Wars use to be so cool with everything being Cannon, but this Legends bs is so disappointing. So many great story lines have disappeared. Thrawn was way cooler than he currently being portrayed in the Rebels show.

Dark Greetings from the mofference, the conference of moffs.

Now, excuse me as I rant about how we need to save the whales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BraveJoe posted:

On the other hand, a whooooooooooole lot of garbage got canned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And it's not like you can't go back and still enjoy Legends books and comics.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Canonicity doesn't make or break the value of a good story

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BraveJoe posted:

Star Wars use to be so cool with everything being Cannon, but this Legends bs is so disappointing. So many great story lines have disappeared.

You're right, Star Wars was only cool when the Sun Crusher existed, IG-88 took over the Death Star II and hosed with the Emperor by changing the thermostat settings, Leia's kids gave her a piece of Alderaan as a mother's day present, Zombie Stormtroopers were a thing, and then the loving Yuuzan Vong.

And Wedge loving a bird person who later got amnesia. And telescoping lightsabers. And a Wookiee that speaks English because he has a speak impediment.

Also, Kevin J. Anderson.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 30, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

You're right, Star Wars was only cool when the Sun Crusher existed, IG-88 took over the Death Star II and hosed with the Emperor by changing the thermostat settings,
Of the little bit of Star Wars EU I read, I loved these when I was like 12. Which should be a pretty good indicator that they were bad and dumb.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

enigmahfc posted:

You're right, Star Wars was only cool when the Sun Crusher existed, IG-88 took over the Death Star II and hosed with the Emperor by changing the thermostat settings, Leia's kids gave her a piece of Alderaan as a mother's day present, Zombie Stormtroopers were a thing, and then the loving Yuuzan Vong.

And Wedge loving a bird person who later got amnesia. And telescoping lightsabers. And a Wookiee that speaks English because he has a speak impediment.

Also, Kevin J. Anderson.

You forgot how the Emperor had clone bodies that his spirit would inhabit once he died in one, and how he had a son with three eyes and made weapons in his sleep, and how there was a moff with blaster earrings. :psyduck:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

IronSaber posted:

You forgot how the Emperor had clone bodies that his spirit would inhabit once he died in one, and how he had a son with three eyes and made weapons in his sleep, and how there was a moff with blaster earrings. :psyduck:

Who attended the mofference, the conference of moffs. There they'd introduce each other with "Dark Greetings" and would talk about their need to steal the Glove of Darth Vader as that was the source of his powers and would make Triclops, the Emperor's 3-eyed Son, the true heir. Triclops had to force lighting someone to make a point at that meeting. Then they went and hurt the whales, and the rebels felt bad. But, Triclops is not actually the Emperor's son and can't actually Force Lighting, he's just a weirdo who fit the description of the Emperor's SECRET son and had implants that let him force lighting. He also really wanted to marry Leia and kidnapped her, but they duped her with a droid that shot lasers at him with her eyes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

On the other hand, Wraith Squadron was pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zoro posted:

But, Triclops is not actually the Emperor's son and can't actually Force Lighting, he's just a weirdo who fit the description of the Emperor's SECRET son and had implants that let him force lighting. He also really wanted to marry Leia and kidnapped her, but they duped her with a droid that shot lasers at him with her eyes.

The Emperor's real three-eyed son was called Trioculus, who was imprisoned on an Imperial mental asylum planet because he was a pacifist and the Emperor thought pacifism was a mental illness.

Trioculus also had a son, who didn't have three eyes, so he called him Ken.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

wiegieman posted:

On the other hand, Wraith Squadron was pretty good.

I kinda dig all the X-Wing books. The Wraiths were absolutely the best part of them, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jedi posted:

I kinda dig all the X-Wing books. The Wraiths were absolutely the best part of them, though.

Wraiths ruled, but Starfighters of Adumar was the best (and funniest) book in the series.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

enigmahfc posted:

Also, Kevin J. Anderson.

I....kinda want to read this. Preferably while being really really high. It sounds like the guy from "The Room" was doing fanfic yet this was canon until recently.

I'm assuming this isn't from one book etc, rather multiple sources in the EU..?

sticksy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Emperor's real three-eyed son was called Trioculus, who was imprisoned on an Imperial mental asylum planet because he was a pacifist and the Emperor thought pacifism was a mental illness.

Trioculus also had a son, who didn't have three eyes, so he called him Ken.

And Ken's mom was a Jedi Princess named Kendalina.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sticksy posted:

I....kinda want to read this. Preferably while being really really high. It sounds like the guy from "The Room" was doing fan fix yet this was canon until recently.

I'm assuming this isn't from one book etc, rather multiple sources in the EU..?
Yeah there's a bunch of different things in there. The Sun Crusher, alone, was featured in (at least) a trilogy of books that also featured a robot Jedi.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah there's a bunch of different things in there. The Sun Crusher, alone, was featured in (at least) a trilogy of books that also featured a robot Jedi.

Ah, cool, good to know. Is there similar batshit/ terrible comics treatments of these or other recommendations?

I've been slowly reading through some of DH's like the Thrawn trilogy but crazy stuff like this is a nice palate cleanser.

Also, on a related note:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/artist-imagines-a-shadows-of-the-empire-movie-with-the-1819922814

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

On the whole, the comics EU was less intensely stupid. But you'll want to check out Dark Empire - clone Palpatine, Bruce Willis lookalike Jedi, p-Spliffy, and a giant space submarine.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

I've been introducing my friends to the fun that is Spliffy-P, Dank Lord of the Sith.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

sticksy posted:

Ah, cool, good to know. Is there similar batshit/ terrible comics treatments of these or other recommendations?

I've been slowly reading through some of DH's like the Thrawn trilogy but crazy stuff like this is a nice palate cleanser.

Also, on a related note:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/artist-imagines-a-shadows-of-the-empire-movie-with-the-1819922814

Why is Dash Rendar Nicholas Cage?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zoro posted:

Because when you can get Nic Cage you say yes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Sun Crusher was the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which doesn't have a robot Jedi, but does have other strange stuff.

There was another loosely-connected trilogy (Children of the Jedi, Darksaber and Planet of Twilight) and the first of the three featured said robot Jedi. It also featured Luke falling in love with the disembodied consciousness of an Old Republic Jedi trapped in the computer core of a lost Imperial superweapon, who then swaps bodies with one of his young apprentices (her fiancé was the robot Jedi) and they go off to start a relationship, which is much stranger than anyone involved probably meant for it to be.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Zoro posted:

I also recognize Helen Hunt which dates when that was made. Is that Ed Norton as Xizor?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Endless Mike posted:

Because when you can get Nic Cage you say yes

And when Nic Cage is offered work he says "yes".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sun Crusher was the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which doesn't have a robot Jedi, but does have other strange stuff.

There was another loosely-connected trilogy (Children of the Jedi, Darksaber and Planet of Twilight) and the first of the three featured said robot Jedi. It also featured Luke falling in love with the disembodied consciousness of an Old Republic Jedi trapped in the computer core of a lost Imperial superweapon, who then swaps bodies with one of his young apprentices (her fiancé was the robot Jedi) and they go off to start a relationship, which is much stranger than anyone involved probably meant for it to be.

Wait it wasn't a robot it was a dude from a clone race that was "imperfect" or something? There was some weird Jedi in there, for sure. I read them probably within a couple years of them coming out, so 20 or so years ago!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pictured: Nic Cage turning to the dark side:

Endless Mike posted:

Wait it wasn't a robot it was a dude from a clone race that was "imperfect" or something? There was some weird Jedi in there, for sure. I read them probably within a couple years of them coming out, so 20 or so years ago!

Oh, yeah, Dorsk-81 was the clone Jedi. But there was also the robot Jedi I mentioned; his backstory was that he was infected by this deadly plague so his fiancée (another Jedi who was also a scientist) tried to transfer his essence or what-have-you into a robot body, but all she was able to do was programme a droid with a copy of his thoughts and memories. It related to an earlier book, where the villains were a species of dinosaur people whose technology was powered by sucking out the souls of their slaves and uploading them into computers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, new arc of Darth Vader looks like everything I wanted. Looking forward to more Inquisitor stuff, Grand Inquisitor in particular. And Jocasta Nu as a major character is something I never knew I wanted.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ugh larocca is so bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen's run started strong, but god, yeah, Larocca is not good at all. It's particularly jarring when it's obvious he's tracing a real face versus someone who isn't in the movies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Larocca's art feels like it's getting worse and worse.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The faces aren't even in the same style or texture as the rest of the art. It's awful and people have been complaining for years with no change.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The faces aren't even in the same style or texture as the rest of the art. It's awful and people have been complaining for years with no change.

This looks like something from a photoshop thread, like I'm supposed to recognize that as a celebrity and laugh at the reference.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The faces are the worst part.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Like, out of context, I couldn't even tell you who that is supposed to be. It looks fan made, and it's loving Star Wars.

The hell

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They are good for a laugh sometimes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That is.... one hell of a specific photo to copy. :raise:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jesus H. Christ he literally GIS'd "asian woman eating spaghetti." How does this guy still have work?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

Jesus H. Christ he literally GIS'd "asian woman eating spaghetti." How does this guy still have work?

Hell, Greg Land has made a pretty lucrative career out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
That was how I was introduced to Grievous, which made his appearance in the movies exceptionally disappointing.