Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

That's the one! Happened to all my rivals eventually and to one of them straight out of the package. It owns!

I like the shape, feel and weight, but it has to be battered wife syndrome that has kept me coming back when it consistently fails atleast once per match

My only issue with my rival is that the rubber on the sides is worn through, and the only way to fix it is buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

xsf421 posted:

My only issue with my rival is that the rubber on the sides is worn through, and the only way to fix it is buy a new one.

Same thing started happening to mine. I figure I'll replace it once my fingers touch in the middle.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
FK2 is the shiiiiiit

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Garfu posted:

FK2 is the shiiiiiit

Never giving up on my FK1. I love the no bullshit plug'n'play most of all.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I really like my ec-1a, great mouse. Buy whatever shape you prefer, they all seem to be great hardware.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I really like my ec-1a, great mouse. Buy whatever shape you prefer, they all seem to be great hardware.

I also have the ec-1a. Buy zowie, thread!

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Had Rival for a long time, I found that once I wore through the rubber side I was actually able to make that spin issue happen on command (with fairly high success). I think that the housing of the actual laser is just really poo poo, and once you loosen it a bit too much you get that.

I tried a DA after then a ZA-11. Still rocking the ZA-11 the only issue is that the second buttons for the ambidextrous rubs weird on my pinky and it can get a little irritated sometimes.

#BigAssMiceForever #palmgrip

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I have an itchy trigger finger nsfw

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
semi-serious question, has anyone ever studied "proper form" for mouse grip in FPS games? Like are certain grip types objectively worse for the types of motor control you need to succeed in CS? I'm sure there are pros who are successful using all kinds of mongoloid positions (jdm?) but it would be somewhat interesting if something as simple as mouse grip could be a barrier to attaining your FULL POTENTIAL.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Your best source is Dr. Levi

http://drleviharrison.com/mouse-sensitivity-gaming-rsi/

Tldr: if it hurts stop.

Edit: while he does list out differences between low and high sensitivity, injuries are not exclusive to one style. I had severe shoulder problems gaming at my effective DPI. Switching took an adjustment period but now everything is gravy

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

real dilemma posted:

semi-serious question, has anyone ever studied "proper form" for mouse grip in FPS games? Like are certain grip types objectively worse for the types of motor control you need to succeed in CS? I'm sure there are pros who are successful using all kinds of mongoloid positions (jdm?) but it would be somewhat interesting if something as simple as mouse grip could be a barrier to attaining your FULL POTENTIAL.

On a low sense game like CS:GO I think you'll see a lot more palm grip players. When you start getting higher in the sensitivity you'll start seeing claw - finger. There aren't any comparable numbers out there I don't think. I do know that palm forces you to use your elbow to turn so people that use it tend to avoid wrist injury and fatigue more easily.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

sorry coach i cant finish the season out this year, too many gaming injuries are adding up and now my fingers hurt

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, that's a real and serious thing that can gently caress up your wrist and fingers and other joints and forearm p-bad and those injuries in general are like the entire reason ergonomics is a big deal.

The more you know!

surc fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 7, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It's me, I'm the monster that games with a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I used to have a Logitech G502. That thing was heavy as gently caress even without the optional weights in, there was nowhere to put your pinky finger without dragging it on the mouse mat, and it had ergonomics that were comfy but settled your hands in a way that made it harder to push all the side buttons.

I switched to a Steelseries Rival 310 and it definitely feels like an improvement. I like how much lighter and wider it feels.

surc posted:

Yeah, that's a real and serious thing that can gently caress up your wrist and fingers and other joints and forearm p-bad and those injuries in general are like the entire reason ergonomics is a big deal.

The more you know!

I used to play center in football and was only injured once. It wasn't from any physical contact, but a pinched nerve in my wrist from gripping and snapping the ball.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't both olofmeister and GuardiaN suffer from wrist injuries that may have needed therapy/surgery for and have both never really been on the top of their games like they used to since.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

experimental gamer surgery to remove small bones from your wrist

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Replace my small wrist bones with vagina bones tia.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Just 16-0'd a weirdly easy game. It turns out it was a DMG to Silver 1 game, and one team got three of the silvers... Matchmaking was a little questionable on that one. I don't really get how that makes sense as a matchup.

Can you group for comp with a DMG as a silver 1? Seems odd...

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
If you group as a 5 stack you can group without any restrictions. They were probably all queued up together.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

nftyw posted:

Didn't both olofmeister and GuardiaN suffer from wrist injuries that may have needed therapy/surgery for and have both never really been on the top of their games like they used to since.

don't think the second part matters that much

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo man, with the servers being fucky last night, we got into a game with two US Easts, a Romanian and two Brazilians against five Brazilians on a EU server.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have never had a 16-0 game. Plenty of 16-1 games, but keeping people on point for 16 rounds is near impossible for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just started playing this, casual only. Two questions:

1. Does this game have a serious cheating problem?
2. What's a good beginner's guide to basic tactics, weapon selection, etc.?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

foutre posted:

Just 16-0'd a weirdly easy game. It turns out it was a DMG to Silver 1 game, and one team got three of the silvers... Matchmaking was a little questionable on that one. I don't really get how that makes sense as a matchup.

Can you group for comp with a DMG as a silver 1? Seems odd...

Basically when you 5 stack it only looks at the highest rank in your team. 1 global and 4 silver 1’s will get matched against globals.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just started playing this, casual only. Two questions:

1. Does this game have a serious cheating problem?
2. What's a good beginner's guide to basic tactics, weapon selection, etc.?

1. Yes
2. Doesn't matter in casual.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In casual buy a p90, wait for about 10 seconds before trying to go to a site, then have fun. That will allow half of both teams to die.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gingerbread House Music posted:

1. Yes
2. Doesn't matter in casual.
How serious? Like "no point in playing" serious?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You're probably not going to run into a lot of cheating in casual because there's really no point to doing so. In competitive it comes in waves.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You may not see any cheaters for weeks, you might get matched with cheaters every single game and get destroyed constantly. It's unlikely, but happens.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Good to know. But basic strategies etc. would be good. I do want to get better at the game, even in casual.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good to know. But basic strategies etc. would be good. I do want to get better at the game, even in casual.

You can't really compare Casual to Competitive. Casual boils down to 20 people rushing into the two sites and deathmatching. Competitive is where people pretend to employ actual thought before it turns into a hot mess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gingerbread House Music posted:

You can't really compare Casual to Competitive. Casual boils down to 20 people rushing into the two sites and deathmatching. Competitive is where people pretend to employ actual thought before it turns into a hot mess.
So there's no point in trying to learn strategy in Casual? What skills should I focus on developing?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

So there's no point in trying to learn strategy in Casual? What skills should I focus on developing?

In Comp, number one is going to be teamwork and communication. After that you'll want to familiarize yourself with spray patterns, map call outs, common flashes, etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FactsAreUseless posted:

1) Click heads
2) Lower your sensitivity
3) Click Heads
4) lower sensitivity again
5) Click more heads
6) Don't crouch
6.5) Learn to shift-walk sometimes so dudes can't hear you
7) Click 1000000 more heads
8) You're allowed to crouch again because you're not using it as a crutch now
9) Flash your teammates (McVey can apparently teach you the finer points of this)
10) molotov yourself and quit forever

I mean, basically, the game comes down to being able to shoot someone in the head before they shoot your head, so learn to keep your crosshair at head level when you're rounding corners, changing heights etc, this comes with playing A LOT so you can learn the maps and elevations and poo poo. When you're holding angles make sure you're at head level. Basically your first large chunk of time should be spent figuring out how to aim and strafe shoot, if you're strafing left and then stop holding A and quickly press D, there's a split second where you will be standing perfectly still, this is when you shoot, someone else can probably explain better, there's also probably youtube videos about it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCtal_f8nJI) this is warowl I think he's considered OK to watch for tutorial videos)

Past that, if you're just playing casual you don't need to do much, grenades can help, but basically switch to grenade and throw it at enemy, or throw a smoke to cover yourself as you go somewhere, also learning gun spray patterns, they are always the same provided you are moving exactly the same (i.e. if I spray a gun while crouched it will always shoot the same spots if everything else is equal). Moving away from casual to real 5v5 poo poo is where the game gets interesting and you will look into set smokes/flashes/molly, and advanced stuff like map locations, specific ways to defend sites and attack sites.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

1) Click heads
2) Lower your sensitivity
3) Click Heads
4) lower sensitivity again
5) Click more heads
6) Don't crouch
6.5) Learn to shift-walk sometimes so dudes can't hear you
7) Click 1000000 more heads
8) You're allowed to crouch again because you're not using it as a crutch now
9) Flash your teammates (McVey can apparently teach you the finer points of this)
10) molotov yourself and quit forever

I mean, basically, the game comes down to being able to shoot someone in the head before they shoot your head, so learn to keep your crosshair at head level when you're rounding corners, changing heights etc, this comes with playing A LOT so you can learn the maps and elevations and poo poo. When you're holding angles make sure you're at head level. Basically your first large chunk of time should be spent figuring out how to aim and strafe shoot, if you're strafing left and then stop holding A and quickly press D, there's a split second where you will be standing perfectly still, this is when you shoot, someone else can probably explain better, there's also probably youtube videos about it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCtal_f8nJI) this is warowl I think he's considered OK to watch for tutorial videos)

Past that, if you're just playing casual you don't need to do much, grenades can help, but basically switch to grenade and throw it at enemy, or throw a smoke to cover yourself as you go somewhere, also learning gun spray patterns, they are always the same provided you are moving exactly the same (i.e. if I spray a gun while crouched it will always shoot the same spots if everything else is equal). Moving away from casual to real 5v5 poo poo is where the game gets interesting and you will look into set smokes/flashes/molly, and advanced stuff like map locations, specific ways to defend sites and attack sites.
Thanks!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Start to play competitive as soon as you can and don't be afraid. There are extremely bad children playing competitive on potato laptops with 30 FPS so if you have a gaming rig you're already ahead of the game. Once you hit rank 21, add your phone to your steam account and opt into prime matchmaking. You'll see a large dip in cheaters in your competitive games. Expect at least one cheater per game in competitive at the beginner level.

Also, join the sub.io discord and talk to the people there for tips and tricks and if you have the balls, come play a goonman (cs go goon community private competative server). Even if you suck, if the vibes are good fun will be had.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Garfu posted:

Even if you suck, if the vibes are good fun will be had.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Garfu posted:

Start to play competitive as soon as you can and don't be afraid. There are extremely bad children playing competitive on potato laptops with 30 FPS so if you have a gaming rig you're already ahead of the game. Once you hit rank 21, add your phone to your steam account and opt into prime matchmaking. You'll see a large dip in cheaters in your competitive games. Expect at least one cheater per game in competitive at the beginner level.

There aren't actually a lot of cheaters in silver/nova, they quickly shoot up to AK or higher depending on how good their cheats are and how blatant they are about it. You definitely want prime though, especially if you queue with higher-ranked players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do the two LMGs have any use?