Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lightning Knight posted:

Native peoples tend to value military service itself as a virtue, irrespective of the organization or war. That's why the comic is generalized and does not mention any specific war, it's about the concept of military service as a good onto itself.
Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm not super familiar, I'm currently taking a 300 level course on Native American history and we just covered this so that's about my level of background, but it goes back to longstanding traditions related to veneration of successful warriors in many Native cultures. Many Native Americans served in both World Wars, Vietnam, etc. Some of it is also an identity thing, holding on to their past as cultures that were proud of their ability to fight in a way that is still culturally acceptable.

I'm sure someone with more background will correct me if I'm wrong but that's basically the gist, it has more spiritual implications for them than political basically.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

I'm not liking this new Roadhog skin. Blizzard is losing their touch.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

:staredog:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Actually that might work...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Yuge!
Great Deals
MAGACON

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Crossposting from CSPAM Trump thread:

https://twitter.com/MatttDavies/status/928755945487982592

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:drat: That was loving fast.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Could've had it prepped with something else written for the commandments and just switched that, maybe?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lightning Knight posted:

Seriously, holy poo poo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Could've had it prepped with something else written for the commandments and just switched that, maybe?

Evangelical politicians have something of a track record of being enormous hypocrites so this is depressingly plausible

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Oh my god he didn't even bother tracing and redrawing the scissor handles, just loving left the base image he stole on there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm a little surprised to see Gorrell making GBS threads on the tax plan, especially this early in the process. Is he turning?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRQGm4-A4k

Not to be petardantic but that doesn't look like a sapper's bomb to me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I've never understood the mental gymnastics required for Christians to cozy up to guns. I know a lot of people here in the South that are very devout Christians who are simultaneously 2nd Amendment enthusiasts. They talk a lot about "self defense". They always look uncomfortable when I ask them about all the times Jesus said to just let people hurt you and never fight back.

No-one outside of the US thinks of American "Christians" as Christians :shrug:

e: Or humans.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a little surprised to see Gorrell making GBS threads on the tax plan, especially this early in the process. Is he turning?

Its more like even he can see the writing on the wall after the GOP losses in VA. I'm sure he'd swallow the GOP propaganda with glee if they hadn't lost so hard.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Edited for accuracy, for the full version, expanding Corporate to infinity is left as a exercise for the reader.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

No-one outside of the US thinks of American "Christians" as Christians :shrug:

e: Or humans.

The recent full-throated defense of child rape is rather timely in giving this view real weight.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The worst part is Lester isn't even saying "This is an outrage, so Clinton's crime should be too". It's literally saying he doesn't loving care. Clinton got off too light in his mind so this pedophilia is okay.

Manuel Calavera posted:

12 year old comic from Derf today. Imgur just *loves* it.
Maybe I'm judging too harsh at a glance but all I can glean from Imgur is that it's mostly just like Reddit: incredibly right-leaning and anti-diversity but convinced by themselves they're a progressive paradise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Office Pig posted:

The recent full-throated defense of child rape is rather timely in giving this view real weight.

OK I'm quite drunk so I don't know what this is but I have never ever defended child rape or anything of the kind O_o

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK I'm quite drunk so I don't know what this is but I have never ever defended child rape or anything of the kind O_o
bunch of people defending Moore. Religious guy talked about how Mary and Joseph were teens when they... didn't have sex??? And then Breitbart going "16 and up is AOK, so only 1 accusation is a problem"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

bunch of people defending Moore. Religious guy talked about how Mary and Joseph were teens when they... didn't have sex??? And then Breitbart going "16 and up is AOK, so only 1 accusation is a problem"

Ooooh this is all a loving swamp. 16 is OK if you're 17 or something? Please don't ban me moderators.

I would never take anything in the bible as permission and/or encouragement to do anything nor would any good Christian*

*) I'm not religious tho.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vib Rib posted:

Maybe I'm judging too harsh at a glance but all I can glean from Imgur is that it's mostly just like Reddit: incredibly right-leaning and anti-diversity but convinced by themselves they're a progressive paradise.
It's almost like imgur is reddit's default image host and that's why it got so big!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, it's about Roy Moore. He's a Republican so it's okay.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ooooh this is all a loving swamp. 16 is OK if you're 17 or something? Please don't ban me moderators.

I would never take anything in the bible as permission and/or encouragement to do anything nor would any good Christian*

American christian politicians are openly saying that a senate candidate did nothing wrong when he molested a 14 year old.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sorry let me be clear what I'm saying is that our Christians have pretty much thrown away any right they have to claim anything resembling humanity after going to the bible to say pedophilia is cool less than a day after a candidate for the US senate came out as a kiddy diddler.

It's either that or "yeah he hosed with little girls but I'm voting for him because democrats."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Not even a full news cycle and there should still be more than one cartoon about a pedophile probably getting elected as a senator in our federal government.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

Not even a full news cycle and there should still be more than one cartoon about a pedophile probably getting elected as a senator in our federal government.

I mean, political comics typically seem to take a day or two to catch up, we weren't seeing Virginia election comics the night of.

That guy already having a decent comic out is weird honestly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spangly A posted:

American christian politicians are openly saying that a senate candidate did nothing wrong when he molested a 14 year old.

This is literally horrible.

Office Pig posted:

It's either that or "yeah he hosed with little girls but I'm voting for him because democrats."

But this is it, isn't it? (I'm going to :smugmrgw: here because that's what I am but this is the main problem with a bi-partisan system. You get people voting for literal monsters just because they're your monsters.)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, political comics typically seem to take a day or two to catch up, we weren't seeing Virginia election comics the night of.

That guy already having a decent comic out is weird honestly.

Intellectually I know this is true, and I guess I'm just reeling from the coup-de-grace this country has inflicted upon my brain.

Starting to think Davies just made that cartoon off a gut feeling and sat on it just in case.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The takeaway from this is people in power abuse the gently caress out of that power, and it turns out the rape culture people were mocking 2-3 years ago is horrifyingly real after all!

You can be a slimeball like a Trump, or an enlightened guy like Louis CK: they all try to use their status to hurt people, and we need to hold them all accountable. Don't loving try to blow off an accusation because you're damaged human being who can't think of politics as anything besides a zero-sum sport.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

The takeaway from this is people in power abuse the gently caress out of that power

Yeah people keep mentioning "absolute power corrupts absolutely" like it's just something to quote when in fact it's an absolute fact in the worst way imaginable.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: The Billy Rose poem referenced by Two Bulls is kind of a gut-puncher:

quote:

The Unknown Soldier

There's a graveyard near the White House
Where the Unknown Soldier lies,
And the flowers there are sprinkled
With the tears from mother's eyes.

I stood there not so long ago
With roses for the brave,
And suddenly I heard a voice
Speak from out the grave:

"I am the Unknown Soldier,
The spirit voice began
"And I think I have the right
To ask some questions man to man.

"Are my buddies taken care of?
Was their victory so sweet?
Is that big reward you offered
Selling pencils on the street?

"Did they really win the freedom
They battled to achieve?
Do you still respect that Croix de Guerre
Above that empty sleeve?
"Does a gold star in the window
Now mean anything at all?
I wonder how my old girl feels
When she hears a bugle call.

"And that baby who sang
Hello, Central, give me no man's land.
Can they replace her daddy
With a military band?

"I wonder if the profiteers
Have satisfied their greed?
I wonder if a soldier's mother
Ever is in need?

"I wonder if the kings, who planned it all
Are really satisfied?
They played their game of checkers
And eleven million died.

"I am the Unknown Soldier
And maybe I died in vain,
But if I were alive and my country called,
I'd do it all over again.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Republican establishment already didn't want anything to do with Roy Moore. I'm expecting them to tear him to shreds now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

rodbeard posted:

The Republican establishment already didn't want anything to do with Roy Moore. I'm expecting them to tear him to shreds now.

You have no idea how much the Republicans will destroy themselves to shelter and support a literal cancerous rapist now that he's the elected R.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Alabama flipping now means the Senate can plausibly flip in 2018 if the Virginia wave holds nationally. No way Republicans abandon him

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spiffster posted:

Mike Lester is still being a shitheel and Ann Telnaes isn’t having it.

https://twitter.com/anntelnaes/status/928729031910010880

Edit fin case deleted

Mike: Roy Moore? When they report on and go after William Jefferson Clinton let me know, until then they can suck the...

Ann: Umm, this is about a FOURTEEN year old girl and a 32 year old man. You did read the article?

Beating that dead horse like it's his wife.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cat Mattress posted:

No, it's about Roy Moore. He's a Republican so it's okay.

Matt Davies going for the gusto. :discourse:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Crabtree posted:

You have no idea how much the Republicans will destroy themselves to shelter and support a literal cancerous rapist now that he's the elected R.

538 is saying there's talks of trying to get Luther Strange elected in a write in campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

538 is saying there's talks of trying to get Luther Strange elected in a write in campaign.

What a cool name to waste on this cupcake batter looking man.

This morning I googled Louis CK after someone mentioned him getting outed as another abuser, and the Wikipedia info said, "Louis C.K. is a rapist, comedian, actor, writer, producer, director, and editor." Wish I'd taken a screenshot. God bless user editing.

• Locked thread