Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

If I'm getting told I need to check in at the airport, I assume I'm in SSSS land, right? I forget if you still get Pre or if I should allow for more time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

If I'm getting told I need to check in at the airport, I assume I'm in SSSS land, right? I forget if you still get Pre or if I should allow for more time...

Pre or not doesn't matter if your boarding pass got SSSS'd.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Enjoy getting harassed by rent-a-cops.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Where are you flying to and from and what airline

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The TSA at Beijing security are about half super cute 20-somethings in black fatigues and black combat boots and they give SUPER thorough pat-downs so thanks, China, I guess I have a new fetish now? Weird.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Ahh, the life of a lonely business traveler.

I’ve already started plotting out my 2018 requalification plan.

Hilton is apparently pushing out a new credit card in January that gives instant diamond status.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Ahh, the life of a lonely business traveler. I’ve already started plotting out my 2018 requalification plan.
Me too. I only need another $2k in card spend to hit my next threshold on my Delta Amex card for another 15k MQMs. Combine that with the 5k or so I'm already above and beyond Platinum this year I should start next year almost Silver. National I have enough rollover days to keep me at Executive for the next couple of years, and I have the IHG Mastercard so I'll be at least gold there, which is good enough.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I’m counting on the Barclays AA Silver card for EQD and EQM waivers.

I️ also have the IHG card. I️ thought it gave Plat not Gold?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mandalay posted:

Ahh, the life of a lonely business traveler.

I’ve already started plotting out my 2018 requalification plan.

Hilton is apparently pushing out a new credit card in January that gives instant diamond status.

I like Hilton but I’ll be damned booking direct is almost always 50% than whatever mass travel site and SPG or IHG dish out so many more free points.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

I also have the IHG card. I️ thought it gave Plat not Gold?
You may be right, I'm not sure. I usually qualify Spire on my own, but most of my hotels this year were Hilton properties.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I’m on track for marriott platinum but my contract airline switched from United to southwest in October :cry:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ixo posted:

I’m on track for marriott platinum but my contract airline switched from United to southwest in October :cry:

Enjoy your the concerts you can't escape.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00VW7U8X4/

I can't remember if those are the Bose QC's that everyone raves about (though I don't think so as they're over ear rather than buds) but the're $100 off for like the first time ever

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I believe the 35 series has been the go-to for a while now

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Barry posted:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00VW7U8X4/

I can't remember if those are the Bose QC's that everyone raves about (though I don't think so as they're over ear rather than buds) but the're $100 off for like the first time ever

Yeah, that's new old stock. These are the ones you want now: https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Wireless-Headphones-Cancelling/dp/B0756CYWWD/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

That being said, the 25s do a great job and at that price........

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Is the main difference that QC35s are wireless?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

Is the main difference that QC35s are wireless?

They are also lighter and I find them to be more comfortable (the earpieces).

If you've got a bose store nearby they have all of them out for you to try. Probably worth the trip before making a decision.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I️ much prefer the earbuds because they are less bulky when I’m trying to sleep on planes (which is most of the time because my travel workdays are usually exhausting 9a-9p conference and networking affairs)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mandalay posted:

I️ much prefer the earbuds because they are less bulky when I’m trying to sleep on planes (which is most of the time because my travel workdays are usually exhausting 9a-9p conference and networking affairs)

They also fit in your bag a lot better/less likely to get broken. That's what I've been carrying for the last year or so.

But some people really don't tolerate buds in their ears for long durations.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Does anyone else find that their ear canals get weirdly sweaty when wearing the Bose QCs for long periods of time, or am I just strange?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I can wear my PXC550s for hours straight with zero discomfort so sorry about your broken idiot ear canals.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I can wear buds for hours no problem. I just buy the 10$ ones from like LA fitness ad they last long enough. I'd rather go through a few cheap ones than sink money into a nice one since mine get beat up by travel and gym

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I can wear buds for hours no problem. I just buy the 10$ ones from like LA fitness ad they last long enough. I'd rather go through a few cheap ones than sink money into a nice one since mine get beat up by travel and gym

Good luck with those on a plane.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rex-Goliath posted:

I believe the 35 series has been the go-to for a while now

One of the best travel purchases out there imho.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I have funny shaped ears apparently so in-ear buds are always falling out and never feel comfortable. It sucks.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Water Resistant posted:

I have funny shaped ears apparently so in-ear buds are always falling out and never feel comfortable. It sucks.

Sennheiser makes p. dece buds at roughly the $20 price point that come with three different sized cups that you can swap out so they fit in your unique snowflake ears. They're nice

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get custom made plugs, y’all. Even the earplugs will change your life.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone get the “Oh wow, your job pays you to travel? Food too?!?!?!”

Are some of you traveling for business on your own dime?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Huh?

Do you mean people are surprised if your company pays you a per diem when you’re on the road?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Tab8715 posted:

Are you getting this from other business travelers? I only hear it from people who are barely even white collar and just fascinated by the concept of traveling for work. These are the same people who have to have the ‘business travel != recreational travel’ Thornton explained to them

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Water Resistant posted:

Comply sound isolating foam tips. Total game changers for ear buds.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Travel food: The first week was like that. Or if I have a dinner at a favorite restaurant. Other than that, I'd much rather fix my own meals.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

My company, one of the top 3 banks in the world confiscated everyone's expense card and modified reimbursement schedules to a 90-120 day payback period about 6 months back. Effectively I am travelling on my own expense with new quarterly bonuses that happen to sync up. Also my CISSP continuing education was on my this year. Not cheap stuff.

I don't think other departments are even allowed to bill travel to their cost centers.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Immanentized posted:

My company, one of the top 3 banks in the world confiscated everyone's expense card and modified reimbursement schedules to a 90-120 day payback period about 6 months back. Effectively I am travelling on my own expense with new quarterly bonuses that happen to sync up. Also my CISSP continuing education was on my this year. Not cheap stuff.

I don't think other departments are even allowed to bill travel to their cost centers.

Lol what the gently caress

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Immanentized posted:

This doesn’t sound legal to me and even if it is I would update my resume ASAP because double-gently caress that

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

This doesn’t sound legal to me and even if it is I would update my resume ASAP because double-gently caress that

Oh I'm looking, they're French with a US affiliate and they've already gotten hosed up severely by OFAC, but now they're throwing around terms like "rightshoring" and my VP spot isn't looking like its worth the effort

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

Are you getting this from other business travelers? I only hear it from people who are barely even white collar and just fascinated by the concept of traveling for work. These are the same people who have to have the ‘business travel != recreational travel’ Thornton explained to them

Travelling for work. Glamorous from afar but far from glamorous.

That said I get it a lot better than most folks as I get sent to good cities and popular holiday destinations due to working in the travel space.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Yeah, I get that a fair amount from friends and family. Along with comments about being able to eat badly every night. And the first month I did that but it didn't take me long to realize that eating like poo poo every night made me feel awful. I mean sometimes I do eat like poo poo on the road but as a general try not to. A fair amount of my family is blue collar, and a lot of my friends are grad students so they are always hungry.

And I use an AMEX for travel but my my company does expense payouts twice a week. If I submit my expense report on Monday/Tuesday then will get paid the Friday of that week. If I submit it on Wednesday through Friday then it generally gets paid the following Wednesday.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Tab8715 posted:

Well, when you're a partner in a small business, it is on your own dime to an extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fists Up posted:

Travelling for work. Glamorous from afar but far from glamorous.

That said I get it a lot better than most folks as I get sent to good cities and popular holiday destinations due to working in the travel space.

hello i work in the motor vehicle industry in aftersales so my scenic destinations are places like:

flint, MI
peoria, IL
memphis, TN
quad cities, IL
sherbrooke, QC
cincinnati, OH
etc