Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vitalis Jackson posted:

It's very unwise (in Nebraska's case, anyway) to allow the fan base and boosters to make hiring and firing decisions, though. They are basically too emotionally invested in the Cornhuskers to be able to separate their self identity from the results of football games, and they are a big part of why NU has become such a shipwreck since Osborne's last year of coaching. Personally, I hope that the NU administration is intelligent and professional enough to look long-term and not at the rest of the season. Riley has installed a recruiting system that had been largely ignored for years; there is a reason why so many freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores have replaced juniors and seniors this year. I didn't know Riley when he was hired, but I support him now. I think he needs two more years to turn things around on this team. It was a disaster after Pelini was fired and that disgruntled coach actively campaigned against NU when he left. It was a carnage.

Riley's biggest mistake, IMHO, is that he tried to "make nice" with Pelini's remaining recruits when he took over. He should have just ripped off the Band-Aid in his first year. Instead, he waited until he had a couple of season's recruits and then tried to install a completely new offense and defense with players that had no exposure.

Hi Mike. Sorry about your pending unemployment, you seem like a nice dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
All of that would be fine, but I don't think he, Diaco, Langsdorf and several other position heads have proven they can coach worth a drat. I seriously struggle to think of the last game in which they outcoached anyone not named Lovie Smith.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Riley was an obviously awful hire from the start. He hadn’t been good at Oregon State in several years and was clearly trending down. He only got the job because they were embarrassed by Pelini and wanted someone who was nice and polite with the media.

Anyway, I agree, Nebraska should definitely keep him, because recruiting. They should have kept Callahan too.

I definitely agree with the Callahan comment. NU has entered into an era that has head coaches having to use players recruited by the previous coach, and it's happening now with regularity. It really has to end.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

All of that would be fine, but I don't think he, Diaco, Langsdorf and several other position heads have proven they can coach worth a drat. I seriously struggle to think of the last game in which they outcoached anyone not named Lovie Smith.

Don't forget, though, that the immortal Tom Osborne was regularly "outcoached" by Barry Switzer until he got better players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Don't forget, though, that the immortal Tom Osborne was regularly "outcoached" by Barry Switzer until he got better players.

This is definitely the same thing as getting outcoached by Darrell Hazell

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Did Hazell also ever have his home robbed by one of his players, or gently caress his friend's wife

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Probably not. And Mike Riley has probably never hidden a gun for one of his players. The world is very different now and we are poorer for it.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Riley was an obviously awful hire from the start. He hadn’t been good at Oregon State in several years and was clearly trending down. He only got the job because they were embarrassed by Pelini and wanted someone who was nice and polite with the media.

Anyway, I agree, Nebraska should definitely keep him, because recruiting. They should have kept Callahan too.

They should fire him and hire another good, friendly, trustworthy coach. Like Brady Hoke

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

call me rovert cuz i got the scoops

FBScoops posted:

Arkansas: The UA Board reports, according to Tyler Thomason, that no action is being taken on head coach Bret Bielema or athletic director Jeff Long after their executive session held earlier today. Bielema’s situation is well documented; Long’s contract expires on June 30.

Les Miles: After a report inevitably bubbled up that Les Miles held interest in the Oregon State job, Dennis Dodd reports that Oregon State has not contacted Les.

TCU: When asked by ESPN if he ever envisions himself leaving TCU, Gary Patterson replied, “It would have to be something you just couldn’t say no to, but here’s the thing with me: I never say never, because I always get pissed off at those coaches when they say, ‘This is my last stop,’ or they sign a new contract and change jobs the next year. For me, it’s not only TCU, but Fort Worth is a special place."

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Now that running games are getting new prominence Nebraska really ought to try a run-pass option guy or maybe even David Shaw's OC at Stanford. A run-first offense plays to Nebraska's strength in never lacking for big farm boys, many that even would be willing to play the greyshirt game just to play there, so they could invest a ton in strength and conditioning to turn out a bunch of run blockers and run the dang ball.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I would kill things for Shaw

E: Well I misread the hell out of that. Also, what the hell

quote:

Bloomgren was promoted to Stanford's Andrew Luck Director of Offense in January 2013

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/MarcRyanOnAir/status/928691492805332993

:lol: if they hire Strong.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

Now that running games are getting new prominence Nebraska really ought to try a run-pass option guy or maybe even David Shaw's OC at Stanford. A run-first offense plays to Nebraska's strength in never lacking for big farm boys, many that even would be willing to play the greyshirt game just to play there, so they could invest a ton in strength and conditioning to turn out a bunch of run blockers and run the dang ball.

Their offense has been lovely the last couple years when Love isn’t breaking 60 yard gains, and they’ve never really developed a QB since Hogan graduated. They should probably look to play power football but they can do better.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
stop bothering big game bob let him be retired

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

More like:
https://m.imgur.com/a/Rc9hO

It remains to be seen whether Strong can win at USF without riding Taggart's success. He was a great DC and did good things at Louisville but it's way too early to give him a look.

The falsity of the tweet is betrayed by the Stoops bit. Florida would give him a heart attack.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I would rather not have Chip Kelly at Florida

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

More like:
https://m.imgur.com/a/Rc9hO

It remains to be seen whether Strong can win at USF without riding Taggart's success. He was a great DC and did good things at Louisville but it's way too early to give him a look.

The falsity of the tweet is betrayed by the Stoops bit. Florida would give him a heart attack.

That doesn’t say anything about Stoops actually being interested, it just says they asked. Which they might as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah this is basically the "look we asked, don't get mad at us..." thing

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In the past 15 minutes I've read posts on Vols and Bucs boards that swear up and down that Gruden is going to be the next head coach of that respective team.

My biggest annoyance is why is Butch still the coach? I know we went over this a couple weeks ago but at this point there is no point in having him. If it was to salvage the recruiting class, that failed. If it was to save money on the buyout, why? It's been all but said directly that he's gone at the end of the year, it's not like it goes down once the last game is over (does it?).

Meanwhile Florida fired Mac and are already going through the interview process.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

In the past 15 minutes I've read posts on Vols and Bucs boards that swear up and down that Gruden is going to be the next head coach of that respective team.

My biggest annoyance is why is Butch still the coach? I know we went over this a couple weeks ago but at this point there is no point in having him. If it was to salvage the recruiting class, that failed. If it was to save money on the buyout, why? It's been all but said directly that he's gone at the end of the year, it's not like it goes down once the last game is over (does it?).

Meanwhile Florida fired Mac and are already going through the interview process.

Who have they interviewed?

Short of maybe Chip no one worth hiring is probably going to want to go through the interview process in the middle of the season anyway. Firing a guy early to jump start the coaching search sounds good in theory but I don’t think there’s much evidence that it makes a huge difference in most cases, outside of making fans feel good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also you're gonna be awfully hard pressed to get boosters to just pony up $8mil to make him go away. Even a goof like Haslam isn't just gonna throw that at the school without there being more of a plan in place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

Also you're gonna be awfully hard pressed to get boosters to just pony up $8mil to make him go away. Even a goof like Haslam isn't just gonna throw that at the school without there being more of a plan in place.

Guarantee you some booster is going to send a death threat and try to make a scandal so he can get McElwain'd.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too bad Spurrier is too old, cause the Gator tears would be delicious.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Short of maybe Chip no one worth hiring is probably going to want to go through the interview process in the middle of the season anyway. Firing a guy early to jump start the coaching search sounds good in theory but I don’t think there’s much evidence that it makes a huge difference in most cases, outside of making fans feel good.

Besides that it shows that you're willing to do a coach dirty in public to satisfy the bloodlust of fans. It's not really going to make the position look more attractive to the kind of coach you want, the kind that's having success where they are and has other opportunities available to them. Better to just be professional about the thing and let him go out on his shield.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Hire strong so I can continue to call amdichu a loving g REATDDRD

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scionix posted:

Hire strong so I can continue to call amdichu a loving g REATDDRD

Did you have a stroke when you finished that sentence?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Scionix posted:

amdichu a loving g REATDDRD

this is some saturday at 10 PM levels of drunkposting

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

MourningView posted:

That doesn’t say anything about Stoops actually being interested, it just says they asked. Which they might as well.

True.

MourningView posted:

It was pretty important in ensuring the removal of Zook and McElwain, but yeah I don't think it makes much of a difference in getting the next guy in.

Also:

https://twitter.com/ScottStricklin/status/928708106149945344/photo/1

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 10, 2017

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Chip at Florida would be OK, just so I don't have to keep fearing that he'll land at some other Pac-12 school.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs is resigning this coming summer. Tommy Tuberville wants to take the position

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If he runs the athletic department as well as he does commentary they are doomed

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Is Butch Jones fired yet

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Is Butch Jones fired yet

No but I’ll be damned if he isn’t trying his hardest to sink the school

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Is Butch Jones fired yet

No.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If Mizzou waxes Tennessee tomorrow, does Butch get canned?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

If Mizzou waxes Tennessee tomorrow, does Butch get canned?

Barring a scandal or something, Butch is gonna be Tennessee's coach until at least the end of the season. He's owed over $8 mil in his buyout and that's not the kind of money even Tennessee just throws together, unless they stagger the buyout payments and even then it's still a ton to be on the hook for.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

DJExile posted:

... Butch is gonna be Tennessee's coach until at least the end of the season. He's owed over $8 mil in his buyout ...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i have to admit i have no idea whether or not scott frost is a good coach or would be good for nebraska but i am rooting for him to go anywhere else because that would be funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

grumors heating up today

• Locked thread