Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm also seeing a startling lack of RE4 on these lists
RE4 is my eleventh favorite game so it didn't make the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tf2 was sent out to fail last year precisely to weaken respawn for this buyout.

Thats it, all ea partners program participants are now gone, they got the last one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Literally all of the Soulsborne games do something better than their siblings. Its pretty baffling but From is one of those companies that will frequently take two steps forward and one step back.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X-2
Resident Evil Remake
Castlevania (NES)
Super Mario Bros.
BioShock
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
NieR
Silent Hill 2
Dark Souls
Deadly Premonition
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
Steins;Gate
Walking Dead: Season 1
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I feel like half the time when I make a list like this I'm just mostly listing games from the last year or two I played and liked but whatever.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 10, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Literally all of the Soulsborne games do something better than their siblings. Its pretty baffling but From is one of those companies that will frequently take two steps forward and one step back.
Yeah I feel like they never ever quite made the ideal of what they were going for. If I have to pick one as my favorite its probably Dark Souls 1 just because it was my first.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X-2
Resident Evil Remake
Castlevania (NES)
Super Mario Bros.
BioShock
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
NieR
Silent Hill 2
Dark Souls
Deadly Premonition
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
Steins;Gate
Walking Dead: Season 1
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I feel like half the time when I make a list like this I'm just mostly listing games from the last year or two I played and liked but whatever.

Yeah I have to fight that urge too. Like I immediately thought "Siren of course" but with 0.5 seconds of reflection that's completely insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But actually, Siren is probably one of the most unique and fascinating games I've ever played. At the same time, the idea of replaying siren will never once cross my mind

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The rumble in Golf Story bugged me so much I turned it off (it would be pefect for just the golfing sections but you don't have to buzz the poo poo out of my joycons every time someone's dialogue ends with an exclamation mark) but I'm kinda disappointed that Stardew Valley has none at all. Fishing, the clink of my pickaxe hitting a rock, etc, would all be greatly improved .....

but really while I'm not sure if I'd be able to count the number of ice cubes in a glass, the rumble on Switch IS really loving impressive. It's cool that Nintendo did it first on consoles with the N64 Rumble Pak (was it bundled with/ first supported by Star Fox or Star Wars Podracer or what? I forget) and now is doing it again way better than anyone else. Basically the only thing that beats it is the haptic feedback in the last couple iPhone models (which is seriously insane-- they got rid of the "clicky" home button and replaced it with a capacitive touch sensor but I know a bunch of people who didn't even realize because the vibrations still make it feel like you're clicking in a physical button)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

goferchan posted:

The rumble in Golf Story bugged me so much I turned it off (it would be pefect for just the golfing sections but you don't have to buzz the poo poo out of my joycons every time someone's dialogue ends with an exclamation mark) but I'm kinda disappointed that Stardew Valley has none at all. Fishing, the clink of my pickaxe hitting a rock, etc, would all be greatly improved .....

but really while I'm not sure if I'd be able to count the number of ice cubes in a glass, the rumble on Switch IS really loving impressive. It's cool that Nintendo did it first on consoles with the N64 Rumble Pak (was it bundled with/ first supported by Star Fox or Star Wars Podracer or what? I forget) and now is doing it again way better than anyone else. Basically the only thing that beats it is the haptic feedback in the last couple iPhone models (which is seriously insane-- they got rid of the "clicky" home button and replaced it with a capacitive touch sensor but I know a bunch of people who didn't even realize because the vibrations still make it feel like you're clicking in a physical button)

In Mario Odyssey, when you jump with the Pokio the rumble does this little twang, like when you pull a door-stopper. I came to associate it with the noise, and didn't actually realize what the rumble was doing until like 20 hours into the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think piracy is fine for preservation. like for example when the Wii Shop closes there's going to be tons of literal abandonware created by the vacuum, like all the konami Rebirth games, My Life as a King, Excitebike World Rally, and a bunch of other stuff. piracy will literally be the only way to protect that data from evaporating forever

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh also I'm a little late on the Respawn/EA acquisition but I read elsewhere that Korean f2p MMO publisher Nexxon who publishes the Titanfall mobile game (don't even look it up) was pushing to buy them out . Part of their publishing agreement with EA involved them letting EA bid against any potential takeover; EA outbid Nexxon, and here we are. So while I'm not hyped about this either , the alternative was apparently them being owned by a Korean f2p MMO factory lol . I'll take EA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

In Mario Odyssey, when you jump with the Pokio the rumble does this little twang, like when you pull a door-stopper. I came to associate it with the noise, and didn't actually realize what the rumble was doing until like 20 hours into the game.
the way the scooter feels is insane, especially with rumble turned up all the way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

Tf2 was sent out to fail last year precisely to weaken respawn for this buyout.

Thats it, all ea partners program participants are now gone, they got the last one.

EA is taking a page out of the EU4 playbook. Vassalize, Personal Union, Annex

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Raxivace posted:

Eat chili dogs, like Sonic the Hedgehog.

In the new Sonic game Sonic says that he does not like being tortured in a prisoner of war camp but he does like chilidogs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Oh also I'm a little late on the Respawn/EA acquisition but I read elsewhere that Korean f2p MMO publisher Nexxon who publishes the Titanfall mobile game (don't even look it up) was pushing to buy them out . Part of their publishing agreement with EA involved them letting EA bid against any potential takeover; EA outbid Nexxon, and here we are. So while I'm not hyped about this either , the alternative was apparently them being owned by a Korean f2p MMO factory lol . I'll take EA

I'd take the Korean F2P mmo factory because at least a tremendously bad Titanfall 3 that makes a billion dollars would never exist

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

homeless snail posted:

the way the scooter feels is insane, especially with rumble turned up all the way

Yeah the Odyssey implementation is definitely amazing. I'm also really impressed at how nuanced the Joycon vibrations are in Steamworld Dig 2 considering it's a multiplatform indie game -- they were clearly tweaked for Switch and not just posted over from the PS4 version or whatever. "HD Rumble" may be a stupid buzzword but it really is the tactile equivalent of going from stereo to surround sound... never really realized how much I took rumble for granted

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

In the new Sonic game Sonic says that he does not like being tortured in a prisoner of war camp but he does like chilidogs

Hell, I agree with him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

I'd take the Korean F2P mmo factory because at least a tremendously bad Titanfall 3 that makes a billion dollars would never exist

I think it's pretty clear that Titanfall 3 will not make a billion dollars

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My hd rumble feels broken becaus even with everything turned up to max I get a teensy buzz

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The new Sonic game may look like garbage, but as long as he says NO to fascism and racism, he is on the side of the angels

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

My hd rumble feels broken becaus even with everything turned up to max I get a teensy buzz

what control scheme are you using? I haven't moved my TV to my new place yet so I'm only playing with Joycons attached to the Switch and it's definitely more than a teensy buzz even on default settings . Wondering if part of that is the extra weight of the Switch itself etc tho

edit: if you've played Golf Story and still feel that way they're probably messed up then lol. Seriously that poo poo made my teeth rattle like 15 minutes into the game, it was obnoxious

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Same, but also somehow its still really distracting. Not a rumble guy tho.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

what control scheme are you using? I haven't moved my TV to my new place yet so I'm only playing with Joycons attached to the Switch and it's definitely more than a teensy buzz even on default settings . Wondering if part of that is the extra weight of the Switch itself etc tho

edit: if you've played Golf Story and still feel that way they're probably messed up then lol. Seriously that poo poo made my teeth rattle like 15 minutes into the game, it was obnoxious

I use the pro controller or handheld mainly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It kind of occurred to me earlier that if I were to try playing Super Metroid for the first time at this point in my life I'd probably dislike it (but not hate it) like I do Hollow Knight

That realization kinda weirds me out, I've always felt like I loved that game. I guess younger me was just much more patient

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Skies 👏 Of 👏 Arcadia

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Just off the top of my head, games I love more than most:

Resident Evil 4
Chrono Trigger
Metroid: Zero Mission
Ogre Battle 64
DOOM 2016
Dishonored 1/2
Yakuza 0
Warioware: Mega Microgames
MGS3 Subsistence
Dead Space
Mark Of The Ninja
Darkest Dungeon

I'm sure there's more if I really thought about it but those came to mind immediately. Goddamn I wish I could play MGS3 again but I don't have a PS2/3 anymore, what a goddamn travesty.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh right I never actually finished asking in here about the wii u homebrew stuff.

If anybody has any experience with wii u homebrew, I'd greatly appreciate it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry to be a bother but I've got a question that I'm having a hell of a time finding an answer for.

I've been trying to use jgecko u to cheat at Hyrule Warriors. I've never done homebrew stuff before but after hours of messing about, I finally managed to get the homebrew launcher to appear and I was able to load it up. After loading it up and then going back to the home menu, I'd open up hyrule warriors as well as the jgecko u program and I'd connect to the wii u's IP. I have a list of codes that are for the current version of hyrule warriors and the homebrew stuff I was using was said to work on the current wii u version, 5.5.2, and I double checked to make sure there weren't any version problems. So jgecko u connects successfully and I can load up the code xml just fine and I can enable codes and send codes and it tells me everything is working fine, codes were sent successfully, all fine and dandy.

Except nothing happens in game. I know jgecko is connected because I can see the information it is pulling from the game and because before I got to this point, sometimes I'd accidentally make the game crash through jgecko sending stuff to it.

Basically, I have no clue what I'm doing and there is a trainer for hyrule warriors that I wasn't able to get working (and someone else from last month on another forum stated that said trainer wasn't working so I guess that's an issue) and so all I have is this code xml and I can't get the codes to work. There's gotta be something I'm missing here but I don't know enough about homebrew and cheating using it to know what I should look for.

Can anybody please help me? I'd greatly appreciate it. :\

I don't really know what to do because as far as I can tell, I've followed every guide to the letter and I still can't get this thing to work.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hey im gonna be getting an external hard drive for my laptop so i can fit more than two modern games on it, any particular recommendations for one?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I use the pro controller or handheld mainly
I don't have a pro yet, but it definitely doesn't work as well handheld, it dampens it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I don't have a pro yet, but it definitely doesn't work as well handheld, it dampens it

Ok I figured, and the pro doesn't have the same Rumble Tech I don't think. I should do some joycon freeball tonight and see what happens

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game

(in rough release order)
Pirates!
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Sonic 3
Phantasy Star 4
Doom 2
Deus Ex
Grandia 2
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 2
FIFA

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

(in rough release order)
Pirates!
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Sonic 3
Phantasy Star 4
Doom 2
Deus Ex
Grandia 2
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 2
FIFA

ETA: Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Titanfall 2
Jackbox

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Curse of the Azure Bonds

the gold box Buck Rogers games are far and away the best Gold Box games. my favorite of the AD&D ones are the Dragonlance ones though, especially the first two.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

precision posted:

the gold box Buck Rogers games are far and away the best Gold Box games. my favorite of the AD&D ones are the Dragonlance ones though, especially the first two.

I love the Krynn trilogy too but playing them again this year CoTAB has more to offer (bonus dungeons, more stuff to do in general) and just has the benefit of being in the sweet spot of levels with decent skills and not too grindy enemies.

Can't comment on the Buck Rogers games, haven't played them. Might have to add them to the list...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I was too young to figure out that you needed to kill the dark elf patrols to reduce the concentrated dark elf gently caress heads at the gate at that one place in Azure Bonds. I must have tried to brute force that fight a hundred times

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I guess that was the proto version of the kid who gets murked over and over by the skeletons in dark souls

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I was too young to figure out that you needed to kill the dark elf patrols to reduce the concentrated dark elf gently caress heads at the gate at that one place in Azure Bonds. I must have tried to brute force that fight a hundred times

Oof, that fight's painful even with the reduced numbers. gently caress Dark Elves and their magic resistance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's funny because Secret of the Silver Blades is by far the easiest of the games. I guess people really complained about Curse being so hard (but it can't have been that hard because I was like 12 or 13 and using extremely suboptimal parties when I beat it)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfGBrQURIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I never got what was so funny about this meme tbh, cause peggle is real good

• Locked thread