Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
BRB starting up a " Guess what? CHICKEN HUT!~" business.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah that chicken belongs in the trash because I'm not eating anything that had cat lying on top of it and I'm not giving it to the cats because that just teaches them that that behavior is rewarded

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Yeah that chicken belongs in the trash because I'm not eating anything that had cat lying on top of it and I'm not giving it to the cats because that just teaches them that that behavior is rewarded

You can see the lid's still on it

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lids have holes though.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus displays rare almost-continuity as the last entry mentioned man hunting buses for parts

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Cicadalek posted:

What the gently caress

The zombie apocalypse happened the day you got this...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into newspaper comics, but the Intelligent Life Vietnam Vet comics reminded me of a pattern that I've noticed.

Newspaper comics seem to treat all Vietnam War vets as white men in abject poverty. This is a cheap way establish a character as being respectable in spite of being poor. Otherwise, the author would have to flesh out their characters' backstories to demonstrate that they're "respectable". It also provides a mouthpiece for the authors' to share their opinions about war and the USA. As if those opinions get extra legitimacy because they're coming from a drawing of a veteran.

Maybe this isn't as common as I think. I could swear this pops up in other comics but the only other example that comes to mind is Nancy.

Those motherfuckers in Nancy aren't poor. They partner up to drive truck 24/7 and only come home for breaks on Thanksgiving and Christmas and send none of their income home for the child in their care. Those selfish assholes have plenty of money.

Luann is being boring right now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looking forward to what kind of unholy mess the artist famous for being unable to depict pretty much any activity with any degree of accuracy makes of archery.

It's good fun though, friends of mine took me once and we spent an hour or two on it, it went great, then the next day I woke up and could not move my arms, at all

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Gah! This 'toon really exemplifies what irritates me about Bizarro. I mean, Piraro seems to be trying to make "intelligent" jokes, but then he creates these scenarios that don't really make sense if you think about it for more than a few seconds. That's fine for B.C. or some poo poo, I guess.

I mean, I assume you don't have to be a musician to know that pianos are string instruments, and accordions use a bellows system. If he's going to rip on accordions he could have at least used Bach instead of Beethoven...

I'm sure I'm being too serious about a cartoon or something...Piraro just gets my hackles up a little for some reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVraVgzC9U

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Sunday header is on vacation indefinitely. I'm sure you're heartbroken.

The Amazing Cut-off Pa

Nancy

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

USC Digital Folklore Archives posted:

Omusubi Kororin (The Rolling Rice Ball)
So an old man was eating rice balls for lunch and he accidentally dropped them into this hole. And the man goes to see where the rice ball went and in that hole he hears like a bunch of mice singing, “Yay, yay!” And then the mice see the old man they’re like, “Oh thank you for the food. You’re so nice. Let’s give you a souvenir. Yay!” And they say, “You can either choose this small box or a large box as a souvenir.” So the old man chooses the small box and when he goes home the small box has a bunch of money and gold inside and since he’s so nice he gives the money and gold to all the people in the town. Then his next-door neighbor hears about this and becomes like super jealous. Then he tries to copy what the old man did and he puts the rice balls in the same hole and the mice were also, “Yay, happy, thank you, you’re so nice!” And then one of the mice asks what he wants for a souvenir. The old man imitates a cat and he tries to scare the mice so they go away and the mice get mad and they attack the old man and they kill him.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Holy poo poo, lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So it was recently revealed that Fritzi is a dwarf, and now we know she also has tiny rat hands.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I assume this is MW's version of implied sex.

Or it better be, because if I check this comic tomorrow and they're literally sitting there drinking coffee I'm gonna be pissed.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I assume this is MW's version of implied sex.

Or it better be, because if I check this comic tomorrow and they're literally sitting there drinking coffee I'm gonna be pissed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-skZx5liyaM
edit: I can embed now

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 10, 2017

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wiz of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Wait... what the gently caress was the lesson? How did making lunches teach them compassion? Is there a strip missing where they give lunches to the homeless? Did Billingsley just forget the plan here?

Baby Blues

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Kitty Tonight

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Angular Cyrus posted:

Nekonaughey
[rolling rice ball fable]

Wow, that story took a hard turn right at the very end.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whelp, Baby Blues just went from basic bleh to the shitlist

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Whelp, Baby Blues just went from basic bleh to the shitlist

Dog the common core is trying to teach my kids that mathematics is something besides a set of calculations to be memorized by rote, and I can't have that.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

poo poo, the pollen in the area must have flared up. You can see it coming, but drat.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Odd. Usually Brooke's writing is known for causing headaches and stomach pains.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set needs to rethink its marketing.

Working Daze is a big ol' nothing.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix thinks long-term.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Dog the common core is trying to teach my kids that mathematics is something besides a set of calculations to be memorized by rote, and I can't have that.

I never would have thought to see an argument defending common core on this forum, let alone this subforum, and especially not the math section, yet here we are. Jeb would be proud.

But then maybe I'm just an idiot. I wasn't taught under common core and I assumed Sudoku was a mathematical puzzle just like the Big Nate guy did.

Tracksuit

No one told me his name so I'm just referring to him in the third person now.

In the modern context a suicide joke would have been more intuitive but suicide wasn't a major trend in South Korea at the time this comic was written so I didn't want to mislead anyone and just did a direct translation.

Mother From Another Country

I am obviously ahead of the real life +3 year calendar at this point but that's because I'm trying to get to a format change before next year's thread. There's maybe twenty five or so left until then, so I seem to be on track.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 10, 2017

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Forums Goon (April 4, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 4, 1996)

Garfield Classic (April 3, 1986)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

suicide wasn't a major trend in South Korea at the time this comic was written

:(

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Odd. Usually Brooke's writing is known for causing headaches and stomach pains.
This is a flashback to them in the past, right? Is he using old art? Well it doesn't really matter the point is Amos's hair is annoying me.
Why has he added this "A Guy Gilchrist Production" thing? Is his fancy signature not enough? Now he need's that, and to tell us it's a "Production" not once but twice, and also these peace and love symbols, and make sure we all know he's from Nashville for whatever reason. He puts a lot into making sure we all know he's the one that is ruining another man's life's work.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Admittedly, this question would confuse me as well.

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

You mean you don't have a holster for a full-sized hatchet under your duster?

Mary Worth oh goddammit they are drinking coffee

I did enjoy that Seinfeld clip though, Professor Wayne. I didn't remember that.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Should've been wearing black suits if he was going with the whole Reservoir Dogs thing.

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth oh goddammit they are drinking coffee

Ah, a cream and sugar set, just like every early 20s man who definitely doesn't have a geriatric fetish owns.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

This comic is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TofuDiva posted:

This comic is so good.

I love how the cat's mewing noises are translated to "Ma'am?" and "Man?"
We've begun saying it whenever the cats meow in our house.

• Locked thread