Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

skooma512 posted:

What should I put as the addressee in the cover letter when I do not know who the hiring manager is and the selection is ostensibly done by a third party?

Dear Org,

You are offering currency in exchange for my labor.

We should discuss this arrangement further.

Best,
skooma512

What I'm driving at is..

jaegerx posted:

Why are you applying to a place that wants a cover letter?

If you're applying to places that you're qualified for, in a market that is short for qualified applicants (hint: it's all of them) I'm failing to see what a cover letter accomplishes unless you're targeting a specific company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SeaborneClink posted:

If you're applying to places that you're qualified for, in a market that is short for qualified applicants (hint: it's all of them) I'm failing to see what a cover letter accomplishes unless you're targeting a specific company.

Every cover letter should be specifically targeting the company you send it to. It's your chance to create the narrative of "looking at my resume is a formality". Tell them up front what you'd want them to parse from your resume. This saves them time and creates a good impression. "I'm great at $X, and I've done specific awesome things involving your bullet points Y and Z"

A good cover letter will get you more phone screens than a good resume will. You tell them you're a good candidate. You explain why, briefly. You close with some details. No need to look at the resume for anything really important

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 10, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mllaneza posted:

Every cover letter should be specifically targeting the company you send it to. It's your chance to create the narrative of "looking at my resume is a formality". Tell them up front what you'd want them to parse from your resume. This saves them time and creates a good impression. "I'm great at $X, and I've done specific awesome things involving your bullet points Y and Z"

A good cover letter will get you more phone screens than a good resume will. You tell them you're a good candidate. You explain why, briefly. You close with some details. No need to look at the resume for anything really important

Your resume should be short enough and formatted well enough that those things are already obvious from looking at it, in which case a cover letter is completely redundant. I understand that for dumb reasons some places require them, but I think they’re dumb as hell.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Your resume should be short enough and formatted well enough that those things are already obvious from looking at it, in which case a cover letter is completely redundant. I understand that for dumb reasons some places require them, but I think they’re dumb as hell.

If you send a job application by email, do you just attach a PDF resume and leave the body blank?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
"See attached"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've only received call backs for applications that had tailored cover letters attached. Lots of companies hold soft skills like writing and non-technical communication in high regard. All three organizations I've worked for specifically wanted to break down the nerdy incomprehensive technical jargon wall between staff and IT, and my cover letters were solid examples that I'm capable of interacting with non-IT.

Resumes don't reflect soft skills so if you're decent at writing, show it off with a cover letter.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This is cute, a sales executive trying to tell a reply-all email with a bunch of engineers on it that a /30 is not enough to connect a firewall to a bridged cable modem. "MY IT MANAGER SAYS IT NEEDS 2 IP ADDRESSES"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Give them a /31

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

skooma512 posted:

What should I put as the addressee in the cover letter when I do not know who the hiring manager is and the selection is ostensibly done by a third party?

8x10 glossy goat man.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

Give them a /31

I would not trust any ISP to have updated their router to support /31 p2p

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've only received call backs for applications that had tailored cover letters attached. Lots of companies hold soft skills like writing and non-technical communication in high regard. All three organizations I've worked for specifically wanted to break down the nerdy incomprehensive technical jargon wall between staff and IT, and my cover letters were solid examples that I'm capable of interacting with non-IT.

Resumes don't reflect soft skills so if you're decent at writing, show it off with a cover letter.

Yeah same. I tend to get more wins with cover letters and plus this one is an referral so I need an opportunity to name drop anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah same. I tend to get more wins with cover letters and plus this one is an referral so I need an opportunity to name drop anyway.

For jobs you really want to get and take the extra time with...
1. Always send a cover letter. Put some time into it to make it look good.
2. Always follow up saying thank you in an email after interviews.

Its just too much value for the time spent.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sickening posted:

For jobs you really want to get and take the extra time with...
1. Always send a cover letter. Put some time into it to make it look good.
2. Always follow up saying thank you in an email after interviews.

This is why I like working through a recruiter. Currently interviewing (3rd and final interview next week) and I haven't had any interaction outside of the interviews with anyone at the company. The recruiter sent them my resume and talked me up, and he keeps track of where they are in the hiring process and keeps me updated. No cover letter, no follow up emails.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In 15 years of IT career I have never bothered with a cover letter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ranter posted:

In 15 years of IT career I have never bothered with a cover letter.

I do but it's always like "hey check out my big dick... you can't afford NOT to hire me, lol"... somehow it works

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero VGS posted:

I do but it's always like "hey check out my big dick... you can't afford NOT to hire me, lol"... somehow it works

Settle down there Harvey.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

This is the biggest point I think. Writing two nice paragraphs is not hard, neither is making a copy and editing them to emphasize or play down certain things for each individual job you're applying to. Also what is the downside? Is there someone out there that would automatically bin a job application because it included a cover letter? Someone who you'd actually want to work near?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
For me I end up making one 'cover letter' and modifying the 3 places I put the company name, +/- a couple sentences regarding job specific stuff, and boom. It's really not hard

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, last job search I spent less time working on cover letters than I did on lovely online application forms.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea even if you have trouble writing something there are so many examples you could copy or just pay someone on fiverr for a template.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I try and go into why I'm the best candidate for the job I always just spiral into an existential crisis.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
"I'm young and I don't have kids holding me down, so you'll get at least 3 years of good work out of me"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Its been at least a decade since I’ve applied to a job that required a cover letter. When I was doing hiring like 90% if the ones I saw were obviously copied off of a find/replace template. I’d scan their resume and set up a quick pre-screen if their work experience looked viable.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vargatron posted:

When I try and go into why I'm the best candidate for the job I always just spiral into an existential crisis.

"I'm the best person for this job because... uh. You know what I'm not the best person for this job. Sorry for wasting your time."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I mean I know HR here requires a cover letter, and they always pass it along when referring candidates, but for me it's never anything beyond 'has a cover letter? check'

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone have any 10 GB Ethernet switches they like? For a relatively small network, iSCSI traffic as well. I've been waffling back and forth over Arista. Would like to avoid Cisco if possible. Doesn't look like they make any ProCurves that fit the bill.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone have any 10 GB Ethernet switches they like? For a relatively small network, iSCSI traffic as well. I've been waffling back and forth over Arista. Would like to avoid Cisco if possible. Doesn't look like they make any ProCurves that fit the bill.

If I'm not mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can get Arista running either ProCurve or Comware... I HATE HATE HATE Comware syntax and have to constantly look up a Cisco -> Comware conversion to do anything, so being able to get those with ProCurve OS is cool.

I'd probably go Cisco though.

Edit: via Google I don't think I'm right... I'm pretty sure the HP rep was telling me one of their "higher end" lines could have either... Maybe I just imagined it because I hate Comware's CLI so much.

TheFace fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 10, 2017

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
+1 for Arista if you don't want to go the Cisco route.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

When you say "10 GB Ethernet" what connector did you have in mind?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

CaptainGimpy posted:

+1 for Arista if you don't want to go the Cisco route.

Artista is in a weird place not being able to use iptables for filtering until the Cisco injunction expires. Just vet your use case.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Arista owns. We've got about 25 arista switches floating around and I love them.

We recently bought 6 switches second hand for like <$1000 each. Zero problems with any of them. Even if you want to buy new for some reason, its way cheaper than anything cisco you'll find.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Arista-Networks-Dcs-7050s-52-f-dc-Layer-3-DC-Switch-With-52x-10gbe-SFP-Ports/2081783262?iid=391694582642

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

When you say "10 GB Ethernet" what connector did you have in mind?

Yeah, sorry. My experience with 10GB is still fairly limited and I always say 10GB Ethernet when I mean 10GBASE-T. We won't have any runs more than a couple dozen feet and I just don't want to mess with all the optical modules and cables. It would be total overkill for us. I think 2x Arista 7050TX-48 would fit the bill for us.

[Edit: Or at least that's what I'm putting in my end-of-year budget splurge request. I've been getting poo poo for us being under budget and it's not my money, so :iiam: ]

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Direct attach uses less power and I believe has a lower latency than 10GbE.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Email in general just needs to die already. At least for any kind of internal communication. It's just terrible and associated with terrible costs and hassle.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're not allowed to use IM for inter office communication or anything like Slack. Email or bust.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Direct attach uses less power and I believe has a lower latency than 10GbE.

I'm generally in favor of looking at DAS, used to recommend it quite a bit at the MSP I used to work for. Unfortunately we have too many hosts and I want to leave some room for growth, as there has been talk about expanding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I mean SFP twinax, not direct-attach storage.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, sorry. My experience with 10GB is still fairly limited and I always say 10GB Ethernet when I mean 10GBASE-T. We won't have any runs more than a couple dozen feet and I just don't want to mess with all the optical modules and cables. It would be total overkill for us. I think 2x Arista 7050TX-48 would fit the bill for us.

[Edit: Or at least that's what I'm putting in my end-of-year budget splurge request. I've been getting poo poo for us being under budget and it's not my money, so :iiam: ]
A "relatively small network" is two 32-port switches?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenNight posted:

We're not allowed to use IM for inter office communication or anything like Slack. Email or bust.

What?? Why??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I mean SFP twinax, not direct-attach storage.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, like I said still new to 10GB.

anthonypants posted:

A "relatively small network" is two 32-port switches?

Yes...? As far as I can tell those are the smallest 10GB switches you can buy from Arista. Do you have any other suggestions or are you just being smart?