Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

THIS is brilliant!

:golfclap:

E:Taxxe

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

DapperDon posted:

This is a good post. But I would like to discuss 2 points you have raised.

1. Your absolutely correct that they are remembering the good old days and hoping that with todays technology that they could be even better than before. So more features mean more of theor dreams get to be relived. The problem with that is the good ol' days weren't all that good. It's like when you think about your favorite movie as a kid and then try and re-watch it as an adult and with each passing scene, that same movie you once loved turns out to be poo poo smeared on film stock.

2. Chris Roberts knew drat well that he could not make the game he pitched with the money he was asking for. I refuse to give him a pass on being that ignorant. After all didn't he pay the Crytek guys to make his demo? And what did just that demo cost? Now compare that to what he was asking for and then you be the judge of that. And even if he IS that ignorant, I am not giving him a pass because gently caress that guy.

Chris is totally that ignorant and high on his own supply of dream powder. He for sure thought making the game would be as easy as building a bunch of modules in isolation and ramming them together while yelling 'just do it!!'

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Solarin posted:

Chris is totally that ignorant and high on his own supply of dream powder. He for sure thought making the game would be as easy as building a bunch of modules in isolation and ramming them together while yelling 'just do it!!'

And yet there are people that felt like giving him King Solomon's treasure was a smart thing to do? I am in the wrong line of work.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

alf_pogs posted:

is charisma just seeing yourself writ large, though? i always thought it came from quick wit and the indefinable x-quality

I've heard that in person, he does have that x-quality. :shrug:

But in any case, he can clearly rally a group of people behind his cause because he's done it many, many times, and in my book, you can't do that without some level of charisma.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops posted:

I've heard that in person, he does have that x-quality. :shrug:

But in any case, he can clearly rally a group of people behind his cause because he's done it many, many times, and in my book, you can't do that without some level of charisma.

the results are undeniable. i guess its just part of the mystery of star citizen

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

If you can insist un-selfconsciously that you can do a thing, and insist on it enough, people will naturally believe you. Believe you and follow you, because you have a certainty that implies ability or understanding that they lack. This could be legit ability, or it could be arrogance or wishful thinking; it's impossible to tell externally. This is 99% of any form of leadership, from CEO of SpaceX to a Safeway manager. In any human society it's not possible to be skeptical and constantly on guard, and still get along with people. You have to take other people at face value, and you will, up until they've demonstrably failed you many times, or you've been warned against them.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Someone just told that cat that they were a Star Citizen backer.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If only they had a linguist...

I still laugh every time I think about the fact that the guy CIG is paying what must be a ridiculous amount of money for making alien languages had the stones to get up on stage during their biggest event of the year and be like "lol I don't even have a degree, nobody knows what the gently caress I'm doing!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I still laugh every time I think about the fact that the guy CIG is paying what must be a ridiculous amount of money for making alien languages had the stones to get up on stage during their biggest event of the year and be like "lol I don't even have a degree, nobody knows what the gently caress I'm doing!"

XY-ANNE?

SHI-AND?

HOW THE gently caress DO WE SAY THIS?!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Google translate tickling:

Good clean fun. :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Someone just told that cat that they were a Star Citizen backer.

she's attacked better people for less

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Put some blue cheese on it then we'll talk :allears:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
:justpost: on 2700.

Also, I'm beginning to have pity on those guys from the ATV. Man.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CRNYHXk.gifv

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
Please post about your 4DX experience. I had never heard of it until now, just looked it up and sounds like the funniest thing. I really want and go and see a movie in 4DX now to have a laugh.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
He already did. Even if I can see the rest of the features being marginally fun (but largely unnecessary) the smell-o-vision thing as described sounds like loving terrible times.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

D_Smart posted:

When you keep flooding people with bullshit, eventually they become de-sensitized to it. And that's also how fake news, used correctly, works. That's why even those cultist rear end-clowns on /r/ds aren't even paying attention any more.

At some point, I am hoping that you have enough sense to know that the bulk of the poo poo you're posting, even in a tongue-in-cheek manner, expecting to get a rise, does more harm than good because it just creates more noise which then detracts from the real issues.

Stop this bullshit, because you're NOT helping.

I am literally speechless at this.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Viscous Soda posted:

No... Nooooooooo!

Awesome! posted:

i dont want to live anymore

Zzr posted:

ELE ELE ELE

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Put some blue cheese on it then we'll talk :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/aYzZ4ns.gifv

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4xuxy-OEc

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard-Drives-&-SSDs/SSD-2.5-&-PCI-Express/70481-SSDPED1D280GASX

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
The Stimpiress

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

DapperDon posted:

As a quick question to you and others here that DO KNOW this stuff. Does Amazon's Lumber Yard do well with networking? In other words, is it Lumberyard being choked by CIG's Frankenengine or is it an incompatibility with it?

In theory it does. It has something called GridMate which has built-in tools to do server-authoritative networking, and it's backed by AWS's pretty dope-rear end auto-scaling back-end. I'm 100% sure CIG is not using GridMate at all, especially after the most recent bugsmashers showed that. No, CIG has their own netcode goin' on, and the only thing that could eclipse its inadequacy is how hard it would be to swap out.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Preen Dog posted:

If you can insist un-selfconsciously that you can do a thing, and insist on it enough, people will naturally believe you. Believe you and follow you, because you have a certainty that implies ability or understanding that they lack. This could be legit ability, or it could be arrogance or wishful thinking; it's impossible to tell externally. This is 99% of any form of leadership, from CEO of SpaceX to a Safeway manager. In any human society it's not possible to be skeptical and constantly on guard, and still get along with people. You have to take other people at face value, and you will, up until they've demonstrably failed you many times, or you've been warned against them.

:five:

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

DapperDon posted:

As a quick question to you and others here that DO KNOW this stuff. Does Amazon's Lumber Yard do well with networking? In other words, is it Lumberyard being choked by CIG's Frankenengine or is it an incompatibility with it?

Probably choked by legacy code and lots of engine changes to systems they barely understand.

The Lumberyard networking foundations look pretty standard:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/networking-overview.html

But I would bet they are using the deprecated crytek networking.

In the alternate history where CIG is successful, croberts pulled together an all star dev team from contacts he made during his decades of roles at AAA studios designing genre defining hits. Robert's 200. The devs drew on their decades of experience having worked on some of the most ambitious and successful online games ever released to build a custom networking infrastructure capable of handling fast moving physics simulation based gameplay with hundreds of online participants without instantly going bankrupt in cloud compute fees.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Henry Scorpio posted:

Probably choked by legacy code and lots of engine changes to systems they barely understand.

The Lumberyard networking foundations look pretty standard:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/networking-overview.html

But I would bet they are using the deprecated crytek networking.

In the alternate history where CIG is successful, croberts pulled together an all star dev team from contacts he made during his decades of roles at AAA studios designing genre defining hits. Robert's 200. The devs drew on their decades of experience having worked on some of the most ambitious and successful online games ever released to build a custom networking infrastructure capable of handling fast moving physics simulation based gameplay with hundreds of online participants without instantly going bankrupt in cloud compute fees.

I'm the m4.4xlarge needed to put 3 commandos in the same room together at 24FPS.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

It was a feature of Saints Row 4. Because you were in a simulation, areas around access points would glitch and they'd deliberately change the various components mesh, attachment points and scaling to produce some nightmare fuel.

I played SR4 for the first time quite recently and certain events spawned enemies that immediately made me think of Star Citizen. It was pretty funny.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sabreseven posted:

Hold down alt when you press print screen

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

gently caress this world

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The 4DX stuff is really distracting and over the top. It's just too much.

The seats roll around on hydraulics (like a Disney ride), and there's massage things in them. So when Hulk gets smashed into a wall you can feel the impact right along with him (because). This wasn't too bad, but it just felt a bit overused.

The air blowers were the least offensive things. You'd "feel" projectiles whizzing out of the screen and past your face, which was pretty cool. Plus they blew away the smellovision... see below.

There were lights in the ceiling, so every-time Thor did some lightning stuff you'd get an extra light show. tbh you hardly notice these, because a massive 100 foot screen is quite bright on its own (who knew!).

Then there's water jets blasting water straight into your face (and mouth, yum!), which I guess would be more cool if Legionaires' disease wasn't a thing. You can at least turn these off though.

The piece de resistance was the smells. Or should I say smell. Because there was one of them. Smoke? Vaguely nauseating chemical smell. Fresh sea breeze? Vaguely nauseating chemical smell. It's all the same to smellovision! Seriously, this stuff would squirt right into your face and it was strong and it smelt like loving poo poo. Like a cross between a used ashtray, cheap disinfectant and rot. You have to wonder which idiot signed off on this in particular, because it was really unpleasant.

The film was fun though, at least the parts I managed to see between dry heaving and being punched in the back by my seat.

Heres a thing, the seats motion is driven from an unused LFE sound track. Its not unknown that during post processing for the audio designers run filters across the soundtrack, and if the seat motion has been encoded in at this point, and the sound designer forgets to exclude that track from processing, it can do some very strange things to the seat motion. This usually manifests in the films first showing when the seats go beserk, fault out and the whole film stops...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Poor taste in tanks confirmed...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That looks just about crazy enough for me to watch it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I know that by admitting this I'm announcing a loss as I'm letting myself get caremad about stupid nerd culture bullshit, but there's a particular type of pop culture nerd who just loooves the idea of mashing up multiple geek IPs together and will breathlessly gush about :siren:"WOULDN'T IT BE SO COOL IF HARRY POTTER COULD BE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE AND ALSO THE XENOMORPH FROM ALIENS WAS THERE?!?":siren:, and it really annoys me. The thought process appears to be 'I like X and I like Y, therefore if X and Y were together it would be EVEN MORE awesome".

But all it really does is betray a shallow-to-nonexistent understanding of what makes their preferred movie/book/whatever good. It shows a paucity of knowledge with regards to the concept of tone or theme in fictional works. Which is fine when you're 10 and the reason you like Starship Troopers is you get to watch the Good Guys shoot the bugs, but when you're a grown adult and you don't understand that Captain Kirk beaming down to King's Landing is going to be poo poo, it's a problem. And it's an even bigger problem when you're directing a multimillion dollar video game.

So yeah: put in a sandworm because you like sandworms because they're big and scary. And put in the planet from pitch black. And put in a Blade Runner cityscape. And put in Space Rome and Space China and service means citizenship. Surely your messianic horror cyberpunk space opera with social commentary won't be a jumbled mess.

Or at least in this case it won't because Roberts is adding them in with no regard to their thematic content nor to the context that they were originally displayed in. It's a sizzle reel approach where he's including things without understanding them because he thinks they're cool.

Sci-fi video game creator Chris Roberts doesn't understand the first loving thing about sci-fi, and neither does his audience.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Star Citizen: Goons must Diet!

Codezombie posted:

Poor taste in tanks confirmed...

The only thing better than a Panzer IV

Is a Panzer IV with a long barrel 75mm

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

is there a german word for fremdschämen but way stronger?

FREMDSCHäMEN

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SuperMacBrother/status/928770188618682369

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FortressButress/status/928830059254657024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Theory posted:

Star Citizen: Goons must Diet!

The only thing better than a Panzer IV

Is a Panzer IV with a long barrel 75mm

:wrong:

a cheapass t-34 is better than both

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/928304627262529536
https://twitter.com/Crusader2737/status/928808862898987008

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Those long conversations with the mirror...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dave_colson/status/923665712501153793

https://twitter.com/dave_colson/status/928895521544196096