Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rodbeard posted:

538 is saying there's talks of trying to get Luther Strange elected in a write in campaign.

Pretty sure the state's sore loser law precludes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Pretty sure the state's sore loser law precludes that.

It prevents him from appearing on the ballot running under a third party. Write-in votes for him would still be valid.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was unaware the presidential election was still happening.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Dumb post. Missed the joke. Shamed self.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Maybe I'm judging too harsh at a glance but all I can glean from Imgur is that it's mostly just like Reddit: incredibly right-leaning and anti-diversity but convinced by themselves they're a progressive paradise.

No you're exactly right. Their community is 90% trash, especially since imgur started as an image host for reddit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Picnic Princess posted:

I was unaware the presidential election was still happening.
Marlette was broken a year ago and still hasn't put his own pieces back together. It's going to keep happening.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Why is "America First" the last piece to go in?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I was looking up Senate expulsions to see what precedent there would be for getting rid of Moore if Alabama votes him in anyway. A whole bunch of Senators were kicked out at the start of the Civil War, but before that, William Blount was expelled for conspiring to help Britain take over Louisiana and Florida. There was a brawl during his impeachment hearings, which made its way into this cartoon:

He in a trice struck Lyon thrice
Upon his head, enrag'd sir,
Who seiz'd the tongs to ease his wrongs,
And Griswold thus engag'd, sir.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

rodbeard posted:

The Republican establishment already didn't want anything to do with Roy Moore. I'm expecting them to tear him to shreds now.
don't hold your breath

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/928730814350811147

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 10, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

hello new Avatar

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not super familiar, I'm currently taking a 300 level course on Native American history and we just covered this so that's about my level of background, but it goes back to longstanding traditions related to veneration of successful warriors in many Native cultures. Many Native Americans served in both World Wars, Vietnam, etc. Some of it is also an identity thing, holding on to their past as cultures that were proud of their ability to fight in a way that is still culturally acceptable.

I'm sure someone with more background will correct me if I'm wrong but that's basically the gist, it has more spiritual implications for them than political basically.

I dunno if i'd say it's a spiritual thing but you're more or less on track about being raised in a culture with a history of warriors and hunters. You got a lotta restless young men who feel like they need to live up to their heritage.

There's also something to be said about joining the military being a way to escape a bad life on the Rez.

I can't really speak for my own people on that front other tha we have our own longstanding tradition of getting into ironwork rather than the military.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as a dude who covers a lot of veterans events and the Honor Flights here in Wisconsin, I can tell you that every time an oldtimer Oneida or Lac Du Flambeau vet comes out for the flight, the rez turns out to give them a big sendoff, drum circles and everything.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Phuzzy posted:

Speaking as a dude who covers a lot of veterans events and the Honor Flights here in Wisconsin, I can tell you that every time an oldtimer Oneida or Lac Du Flambeau vet comes out for the flight, the rez turns out to give them a big sendoff, drum circles and everything.

Yay Wisconsin stories!

My professor, who is an Indian law expert and does a lot of dispositions for treaty dispute cases in Federal court, was telling us a story the other day about how at Native events they'll make calls for anyone who has served in the military, Native or not, and have them join in dances and such. It's less common now, but he was telling us about how they'd call forward World War II vets and push their wheelchairs around the circle. :3:

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I dunno if i'd say it's a spiritual thing but you're more or less on track about being raised in a culture with a history of warriors and hunters.

Right, my bad. A better word would've been "cultural" rather than spiritual, then?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

rodbeard posted:

538 is saying there's talks of trying to get Luther Strange elected in a write in campaign.
Oh please, oh please, as an Alabamian, let this split them atwain and lead to a Jones victory.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Beating that dead horse like it's his wife.

https://twitter.com/ADannyDevitoIRL/status/928766359223357441?s=17

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It seems you found my twitter.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Silly Ben. Mountains are for fracking.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avirosb posted:

I like that truth and liberty are only now being added to MAGA MOUNTAIN, but WALL was in there way early on

E: lol, peace through strength is part of HYDRA's chant from the Marvel comics

Hydra posted:

Peace Through Strength! Honor Through Obedience! Continuance Through Conformity! Hail Hydra! Immortal Hydra! We shall never be destroyed! Cut off one limb, and two shall take its place! We serve none but the Master-as the world shall soon serve us!

E2: This is gonna be a trash fire. https://magacon2018.com/

Somfin fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 10, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

Lester admitted that “he had been drinking on Broad Street and when he returned home he thought his wife was dressed to go out, which made him angry because she had been going out a lot lately. Regan Lester told police she had no intention of leaving the home.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Avirosb posted:

This is one mountain where I will not object to mountain top removal :getin:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:gary:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Boring aside: I worked for Gov. Brown's second election campaign a few years ago which makes this even more baffling that the caricature is unrecognizable.

Also fun fact about Jerry Brown: he eats off your plate. Like if you go to dinner, he, without asking, will also just spear some of your food with a fork and eat it. Not "hey can I try that?" just straight up takes some of your food. And everyone at the table is too afraid to say anything because, you know, he's the Governor and we worked for him. But he does this every time that a group is eating a meal - anyone within fork range gets some of their food taken also. I'm sure there's a political metaphor here somewhere in this but it is the most bizarre/weirdly rude behavior ever.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good grief, I didn't comment before but yeah, that caricature is utterly unrecognizable. It looks nothing like Brown.

Also that is an amazing story. What the hell Moonbeam.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And no one even dares to say "Aw c'mon jerry"?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

du -hast posted:

Boring aside: I worked for Gov. Brown's second election campaign a few years ago which makes this even more baffling that the caricature is unrecognizable.

Also fun fact about Jerry Brown: he eats off your plate. Like if you go to dinner, he, without asking, will also just spear some of your food with a fork and eat it. Not "hey can I try that?" just straight up takes some of your food. And everyone at the table is too afraid to say anything because, you know, he's the Governor and we worked for him. But he does this every time that a group is eating a meal - anyone within fork range gets some of their food taken also. I'm sure there's a political metaphor here somewhere in this but it is the most bizarre/weirdly rude behavior ever.

A mob boss does that in the Sopranos. He gets killed for it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I imagine he's looking at the Garrison cartoon with the glasses from They Live!

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Roland Jones posted:

Good grief, I didn't comment before but yeah, that caricature is utterly unrecognizable. It looks nothing like Brown.

Also that is an amazing story. What the hell Moonbeam.

Yeah. If you guys are interested, I have some more stories.

All the state government has a CHP office that follows them around, doubling as a driver/bodyguard. Cruz Bustamante (former Lt Governor to Grey Davis before the Schwarzenegger recall) was widely considered to be the biggest rear end in a top hat on the planet. He would insist that the CHP go pick up his kids, grab food, etc. The CHP is not supposed to do this - they're guarding him, not a burrito. He also would insist that the CHP turn on the sirens/lights to get him to the airport. He was convinced that just telling the CHP guy 45 minutes before the flight that he had to get to Sac International (30+ minute drive from downtown where the capitol is) would work. Every time. The CHP told him, no, we can't do the flashy lights, you need to tell us earlier. He threw a fit and attempted to lower the CHP budget over this bullshit.

Bill Lockyer, former CA Treasury Secretary (from 07 - 2015 - during the financial crisis and the CA budget meltdown) generally spent his entire time in budget meetings reading SciFi and Fantasy novels. I once spotted him reading Wizard's First Rule during a budget meeting. He basically sat there and read, ignoring the committee, until they told him what to do. He's a great guy and a lot of fun, but basically just dozed through his entire term.

Tom McClintock, who ran for State Controller (and ran against Schwarzenegger during the special election) made a habit of wearing a kilt during his campaign ads for controller, and speaking in a lovely fake Scottish accent. He also wore the kilt when he was campaigning, and did NOT wear underwear. What I am trying to say is I have seen Tom McClintock's sweaty scrotum.

Also I met Arnold Schwarezenneger several times in the hallways of the capital (he even remembered my name!) There's a fancy hotel across the street from the State Capitol, and he bought out the penthouse floor and used it in lieu of the governor's mansion. He got caught cheating on his wife (Maria Scheiver, one of the Kennedy klan) so many times that she demanded that he fly home every single night to Los Angeles so that he wouldn't bang the maids anymore. Every night he would go to the private airport in Sac and fly to Santa Monica, spend the night, then fly back in the morning.

Also another thing about Schwarzenegger is that he's not actually all that tall - I put him at a hair over 6'. (I am 6'7" so gigantic compared to everyone, but this was not limited to me). He knew he needed to appear to be a bigger guy, so every time you take a picture with him, you put hand-in-hand like a handshake, normal political pictures, he will step forward towards the camera at the last minute so as to appear taller than he really is. Maybe that doesn't sound as interesting as I thought it was, but it was amusing to watch him step forward to appear taller even than like one of the 5'2 female assemblymen. Anyway I got more stories about it I guess if anyone's interested, but those are the ones that are semi-interesting.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

du -hast posted:

Also another thing about Schwarzenegger is that he's not actually all that tall - I put him at a hair over 6'. (I am 6'7" so gigantic compared to everyone, but this was not limited to me). He knew he needed to appear to be a bigger guy, so every time you take a picture with him, you put hand-in-hand like a handshake, normal political pictures, he will step forward towards the camera at the last minute so as to appear taller than he really is. Maybe that doesn't sound as interesting as I thought it was, but it was amusing to watch him step forward to appear taller even than like one of the 5'2 female assemblymen. Anyway I got more stories about it I guess if anyone's interested, but those are the ones that are semi-interesting.

There's a great picture of two of those world's strongman competitors with this tiny guy between them. Then you do a double-take because the tiny guy is Arnold.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

uh

is the implication of panel 2 that Brazile wrote her book with the intention of sabotaging the election

because boy howdy is that a claim to make

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

loquacius posted:

uh

is the implication of panel 2 that Brazile wrote her book with the intention of sabotaging the election

No. No it isn't. I'm not sure how you get that.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

loquacius posted:

uh

You had a couple of jagoffs arguing that point within the week before the November elections. MSNBC talking heads were even riding on the 'Gillespie is going to win because of this' train, in addition to residual DNC drama. They plunged into the existence of Brazile's book real hard because of how cheap and easy it is to grab ratings off of something they've probably never read.

I'm also wary of ascribing motivation to Brazile here because it's fairly difficult to get a read on the judgment of someone who will apparently buddy up all nice and friendly like with the sort of people such as, uh... Sheriff Clarke.

edit: none of this relates to the Bad Reporter cartoon because I sort of skip over those usually.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You get that by assuming the two things in that panel are connected in some way.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Office Pig posted:

I'm also wary of ascribing motivation to Brazile here because it's fairly difficult to get a read on the judgment of someone who will apparently buddy up all nice and friendly like with the sort of people such as, uh... Sheriff Clarke

Her motivation is really blatantly buddying up to the right wing media sphere in hopes of landing a job. It’s why she’s also beating the Seth Rich drum.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Office Pig posted:

I'm also wary of ascribing motivation to Brazile here because it's fairly difficult to get a read on the judgment of someone who will apparently buddy up all nice and friendly like with the sort of people such as, uh... Sheriff Clarke.

I would never question the integrity of someone willing to let themselves be interviewed on Fox News.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

probably the part where it shows her reacting to the book "failing to sway the election" by saying it is rigged

y'know

the panel

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Office Pig posted:

Sorry let me be clear what I'm saying is that our Christians have pretty much thrown away any right they have to claim anything resembling humanity after going to the bible to say pedophilia is cool less than a day after a candidate for the US senate came out as a kiddy diddler.

It's either that or "yeah he hosed with little girls but I'm voting for him because democrats."

Outside of the religious folks, it's mostly the latter.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/928756267425943553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Why it's almost as if conservatives outraged over Weinstein were full of poo poo

• Locked thread