Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
saudi arabia declaring war on all the rest of the middle east at once is a really good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
well theyve binged on oil for decades now its time to purge :smugdon:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

They really, really want a war to happen between Hezbollah and Israel

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Yandat posted:

how

i don't think middle eastern politics between saudi and iran work that way

it doesn't but throwing money at problems is the saudi arabian way

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

They really, really want a war to happen between Hezbollah and Israel
lol isnt israel really wary about the possibility of this?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

cargo cult posted:

lol isnt israel really wary about the possibility of this?

yeah, which is why the plan will probably fail, much like all of the crown prince's big plans have so far

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

so apparently theres been reporting for years that Mohammad bin Salman is fairly loving insane and bloodthirsty

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Vox Nihili posted:

so apparently theres been reporting for years that Mohammad bin Salman is fairly loving insane and bloodthirsty

I hope he trips and accidentally burns everyone in power in his country down to the ground, including himself.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
apparently one princeling was shot in a "gunfight" while being arrested, one died in a helicopter crash near the Yemeni border and one fled to...,........... iran

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
welp

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cargo cult posted:

apparently one princeling was shot in a "gunfight" while being arrested, one died in a helicopter crash near the Yemeni border and one fled to...,........... iran

haha wow thanksgiving is gonna be AWKWARD am i rite

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vox Nihili posted:

so he's a Saudi prince...?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

MikeCrotch posted:

so he's a Saudi prince...?

MbS is heir apparent to the throne, which makes him de facto ruler of Saudi because King Salman is senile.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Jose posted:

saudi arabia declaring war on all the rest of the middle east at once is a really good idea

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

give us the scoop on this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

give us the scoop on this

Basically, MBS was the driving force behind the intervention in Yemen and probably the spat with Qatar, and he's set on asserting Saudi dominance. A German intelligence agency released a report in 2015 predicting destabilization as a result of his increasing influence, but the report was condemned by the German government and didn't get a ton of play.

https://nytimes.com/2015/12/04/world/europe/germany-rebukes-its-own-intelligence-agency-for-criticizing-saudi-policy.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/06/saudi-arabia-iran-salman-trump-kushner/531153/

quote:

"In December 2015, a remarkable memo from Germany’s foreign intelligence service was leaked to news outlets. It argued that Saudi Arabia’s new leaders were destabilizing the Middle East. The memo said King Salman and his advisers had replaced the kingdom’s decades-long, cautious foreign policy with “an impulsive policy of intervention.” The Germans singled out the king’s favored son, Mohammed bin Salman, who had quickly amassed tremendous power as deputy crown prince and defense minister, in addition to serving as something of an economic czar. The memo warned that the concentration of so much power in the hands of a young, relatively inexperienced prince posed a “latent danger that, in an attempt to establish himself in the royal succession while his father is still alive, he could overreach.”

quote:

On 10 January 2016, The Independent reported that "the BND, the German intelligence agency, portrayed...Saudi defence minister and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman...as a political gambler who is destabilising the Arab world through proxy wars in Yemen and Syria."[32][30][34][72] German officials reacted to the BND’s memo, saying the published statement "is not the position of the federal government".[39]

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

All the "anti-corruption" stuff is just MBS rounding up his rivals (since his succession/power isn't yet 100% secure). It's not clear what he's doing in Lebanon, but he essentially forced the Saudi puppet PM to resign and is keeping him under something akin to house arrest. Maybe he wants a puppet that is loyal to him, or maybe he just wants to destabilize the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/middleeast/lebanon-hariri-saudi-iran/index.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i forgot i made the lets nuke saudi arabia thread i probably should have resurrected it instead of posting this one

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hariri, a Saudi-backed Sunni, read his Saturday resignation remarks from notes. While he did not explicitly say who he thought was plotting to kill him, he denounced Iran for meddling in the affairs of Lebanon and several other Arab states.

He also pointed to Hezbollah, the powerful Iranian-backed Shia militant group in Lebanon, whose political wing is the most powerful bloc in Lebanon's fractured coalition government.

Hezbollah's leader, Hassan Nasrallah, lambasted Riyadh Friday for interfering in Lebanese politics and repeated accusations that Saudi officials had detained Hariri and put him under house arrest.

"Saudi insulted all the Lebanese by forcing ... Hariri to resign and detaining him," Nasrallah said in a televised speech.

He also made the incendiary claim that Saudi Arabia had offered Israel billions of dollars to launch a war against Lebanon and Hezbollah.

Hezbollah commands broad popular support from Lebanon's Shia Muslims. Hundreds of people gathered Friday in southern Beirut at a pro-Hezbollah rally, where Nasrallah' speech was broadcast.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol saudi arabia is so terrible its uniting shias and sunnis

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Vox Nihili posted:

Hariri, a Saudi-backed Sunni, read his Saturday resignation remarks from notes. While he did not explicitly say who he thought was plotting to kill him, he denounced Iran for meddling in the affairs of Lebanon and several other Arab states.

He also pointed to Hezbollah, the powerful Iranian-backed Shia militant group in Lebanon, whose political wing is the most powerful bloc in Lebanon's fractured coalition government.

Hezbollah's leader, Hassan Nasrallah, lambasted Riyadh Friday for interfering in Lebanese politics and repeated accusations that Saudi officials had detained Hariri and put him under house arrest.

"Saudi insulted all the Lebanese by forcing ... Hariri to resign and detaining him," Nasrallah said in a televised speech.

He also made the incendiary claim that Saudi Arabia had offered Israel billions of dollars to launch a war against Lebanon and Hezbollah.

Hezbollah commands broad popular support from Lebanon's Shia Muslims. Hundreds of people gathered Friday in southern Beirut at a pro-Hezbollah rally, where Nasrallah' speech was broadcast.

Hmm. Kushner goes to Saudi Arabia. Claims subsequently come out that Saudi Arabia offers Israel money to invade Lebanon.

:thunk:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The dude now in charge is a 32 year-old platinum-spoon prince who is bent on regional domination and absolutely willing to murder his relatives to lock in his sovereign inheritance. A German intelligence agency considered him dangerous enough to leak reports to the media. He has the full backing of Trump/US and Bibi/Israel and he has only just begun loving things up.

Iran is pretty much the only significant power standing against him now. Maybe Russia??? Lmao.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dude bought a $300m yacht for $500m from a Russian tycoon on a lark and subsequently crashed it into rocks. I'm sure he will do a better job steering the ship of state~~

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Vox Nihili posted:

Iran is pretty much the only significant power standing against him now. Maybe Russia??? Lmao.

lmao

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/927642676551352321

THS
Sep 15, 2017

saudia

saudians

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jose posted:

You say Abu, I say Ali, let's call the whole the thing halal

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Yandat posted:

saudia

saudians

Da Sauds'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

sa'udee arab'iyya

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
lovely Arabia.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This "House of Saud" doesn't sound too smart to me.

Jose posted:

I don't think the vast majority Lebanese are really enthusiastic about another civil war.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Basically, MBS was the driving force behind the intervention in Yemen and probably the spat with Qatar, and he's set on asserting Saudi dominance. A German intelligence agency released a report in 2015 predicting destabilization as a result of his increasing influence, but the report was condemned by the German government and didn't get a ton of play.

https://nytimes.com/2015/12/04/world/europe/germany-rebukes-its-own-intelligence-agency-for-criticizing-saudi-policy.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/06/saudi-arabia-iran-salman-trump-kushner/531153/

Oh for sure, he's a hothead blowhard who has no idea what a dumbass he is because nobody's ever told him no. I thought you meant he had a dungeon or something

He probably still has a dungeon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

This "House of Saud" doesn't sound too smart to me.

I don't think the vast majority Lebanese are really enthusiastic about another civil war.

i doubtr they're happy with a war against the only western backed power in the middle east but that seems preferable for them lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Oh for sure, he's a hothead blowhard who has no idea what a dumbass he is because nobody's ever told him no. I thought you meant he had a dungeon or something

He probably still has a dungeon

Currently he's holding people at the local Ritz or something but I'm sure that in due time the dungeons will come.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Currently he's holding people at the local Ritz or something but I'm sure that in due time the dungeons will come.

you confine noblemen in a place that befits their standing

should probably get familiar with ck2 and euiv because the Saudi crown prince is playing them and just got bored

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

should probably get familiar with ck2 and euiv because the Saudi crown prince is playing them and just got bored

the other princes better hope he doesn't culture-switch to Greek in order to blind or castrate his prisoners

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Actually, you throw them in the oubliette in hopes that they're branch dies out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dreddout posted:

Actually, you throw them in the oubliette in hopes that they're branch dies out

he’s assassinating those people though

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the Lebanese pm is dead rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU