Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Generic Monk posted:

yeah, it does require going into the settings app though, at least on ios

At least iOS 11 expanded support to apps and made the passwords menu a top-level one instead of being buried under Safari's settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

lelandjs posted:

Have any third party Twitter apps added the option to cut off long winded bullshit 280 character tweets with an ellipsis, with the ability to tap through to see the entire thing? I’m already tired of two tweets taking up my entire phone screen.

this plus a hard 140character limit so i am not tempted to pontificate. that being said i'm realistically not going to switch from tweetbot any time soon

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Holy moly, just scroll past the three extra lines.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

IUG posted:

Holy moly, just scroll past the three extra lines.

The problem is, these are features nobody is asking for.

My draw to Twitter was precisely that you were limited to 140-odd characters. It kept conversation tight.

If people are writing essays now, it might as well be Facebook comments.

Nevermind that Twitter co. is now just an echo chamber for our current president, and is salivating at all that. Maybe they hope he'll start writing longer tweets?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

bobfather posted:

The problem is, these are features nobody is asking for.

My draw to Twitter was precisely that you were limited to 140-odd characters. It kept conversation tight.

If people are writing essays now, it might as well be Facebook comments.

Nevermind that Twitter co. is now just an echo chamber for our current president, and is salivating at all that. Maybe they hope he'll start writing longer tweets?

pretty much every policy decision twitter has made confirms to me that they have absolutely no loving idea what makes twitter good. then again i guess it makes sense given that they're haemorrhaging money and violently stabbing in the dark for some kind of revenue stream to alleviate it

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

there was a good tweet the other day that said twitter’s inability to understand what they’ve created is basically a folklore tale

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I pay :10bux: for Overcast what exactly do I get? In app it says it gets rid of ads and lets me upload files. I’m not really sure I see a point in file uploading and I don’t really “use” the app for much more than pressing play. For this use case am I just throwing money away paying for it?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
yes, but, counterpoint: if you use the app a lot you should give marco money for it since app development isn’t a charity

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Legs Benedict posted:

yes, but, counterpoint: if you use the app a lot you should give marco money for it since app development isn’t a charity

Oh I have no problem paying for apps but Marco is kind of annoying as a person based on his blog.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I have no problem paying for apps but Marco is kind of annoying as a person based on his blog.

..............Downcast............

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Then use/buy another app like Downcast.

E: fb

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

porktree posted:

..............Downcast............

Downcast is good.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Boris Galerkin posted:

then yeah whatever my dude, use downcast or castro or whatever

Personally I would use the best app that suits my use case and then give those people moneys

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

By displaying ads, Marco is getting paid, and it sounds like it's been successful for him. No, the subscription doesn't really offer a more than removal of ads and file uploads. So do whichever you feel is a better fit for you. Or use a different app. Whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t get what your guys problem is honestly. Marco gives his app away for free with an optional paid subscription if you want. He’s annoying to me but the app itself is pretty good, and the free version is a sanctioned thing so why would I use something else?

Endless Mike posted:

By displaying ads, Marco is getting paid, and it sounds like it's been successful for him. No, the subscription doesn't really offer a more than removal of ads and file uploads. So do whichever you feel is a better fit for you. Or use a different app. Whatever.

Thanks the subscription thing was that I wanted to hear.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The best part of the subscription is the new icon. I had most all of the features unlocked because I paid for the app back in the day, but I paid the :10bux: just to not have the orange icon anymore (and it also replaced it in CarPlay which looks much better now).

I wish there was a podcast app that would stream from the Apple Watch 3. There are apps that allow you to upload, but they all suck and streaming would be much more convenient and would take advantage of the whole reason for having an LTE capable watch.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 9, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Legs Benedict posted:

counterpoint: as evidenced by his pod marco doesn't need any more money to waste and regardless has enough stock/whatever securities from being a ground floor employee of a successful startup turned institution that he's pretty much set for life. not that you shouldn't support indie app devs, but marco's fine.

honestly having to pay a subscription to remove ads is a loving ripoff; thankfully i'm grandfathered in from buying whatever his previous revenue stream from the app was before. i'll pay a flat fee to not see ads again but gently caress off if you think I'm paying a recurring subscription. i guess if he chooses to try squeezing me for money i'll switch podcast app. downcast always comes highly recommended and has a mac app but i really hate how cluttered the ui looks. i guess i could try castro? but i'm old enough wherein the sheer whimsy of all those animations might actually annoy me more than anything else

anyone been using apollo for reddit? it's a loving fantastic app, actually tricked me into using reddit for a few days before it became really really apparent how empt, boring, yet somehow full of itself that site is. even compared to a dead gay comedy forum such as this one

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 9, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I started using Apollo, and I even paid for it too.

I’m not a typical reddit user in the sense that I don’t give a poo poo about voting or karma or ~community~ or whatever. Like I just want a content discovery tool and I don’t really care too much about other people’s opinions (comments) on it. On the off chances that I needed to ask a question or make a comment I would just create a new one off account though I noticed some subreddits don’t like new users posting threads or whatever so I hardly ever post anymore.

Anyway the cool thing about Apollo is that I can just browse r/all like I want and within the app I can filter out subreddits that are dumb like all the meme ones and the Donald Trump one without having to make an account. Every now and then I notice a dumb subreddit so I just filter that one too and it’s been working pretty well.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

counterpoint: as evidenced by his pod marco doesn't need any more money to waste and regardless has enough stock/whatever securities from being a ground floor employee of a successful startup turned institution that he's pretty much set for life. not that you shouldn't support indie app devs, but marco's fine.

honestly having to pay a subscription to remove ads is a loving ripoff; thankfully i'm grandfathered in from buying whatever his previous revenue stream from the app was before. i'll pay a flat fee to not see ads again but gently caress off if you think I'm paying a recurring subscription. i guess if he chooses to try squeezing me for money i'll switch podcast app. downcast always comes highly recommended and has a mac app but i really hate how cluttered the ui looks. i guess i could try castro? but i'm old enough wherein the sheer whimsy of all those animations might actually annoy me more than anything else

i didn’t realize overcast was on a subscription now, that sucks rear end. i agree that marco doesn’t need the money necessarily but was trying to make a broader point that people generally seem reticent to pay for apps under pain of death

also castro’s nice it’s what i use now

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

i didn’t realize overcast was on a subscription now, that sucks rear end. i agree that marco doesn’t need the money necessarily but was trying to make a broader point that people generally seem reticent to pay for apps under pain of death

also castro’s nice it’s what i use now

The app is still free (though used to be paid) and some
of the subscription features are grandfathered over for those who initially paid. The 9.99 a year is for a couple of mostly unnecessary features (ad free, new icon, and manual uploads). It’s basically just a way of supporting the dev without just handing him money. The ads are the most unobtrusive I’ve ever seen and do not effect the use of the app in any way.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 10, 2017

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The new CLIPS update is out. Some really cool AR stuff in there!

Probably the best tech demo for the iPhone X right now.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/9/16628774/apple-clips-2-app-update-iphone-x-selfie-scenes-icloud

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

empty baggie posted:

The app is still free (though used to be paid) and some
of the subscription features are grandfathered over for those who initially paid. The 9.99 a year is for a couple of mostly unnecessary features (ad free, new icon, and manual uploads). It’s basically just a way of supporting the dev without just handing him money. The ads are the most unobtrusive I’ve ever seen and do not effect the use of the app in any way.

Are uploads grandfathered in?

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

empty baggie posted:

The ads are the most unobtrusive I’ve ever seen and do not effect the use of the app in any way.
I downright like the ads, I've discovered several new podcasts through them popping up at the bottom of the screen.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I’m the only idiot I know who uses Dashlane. I like Dashlane.

Dashlane rules, yo. By far the best password manager out there, especially after their latest 5.0 release + it has secure notes for keeping track of haircuts.

If anyone want to give it a shot, I got a super sweet referral link for you to try out (gives you and me six months of Premium for free): https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/JcLGV4gQjoNd

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hadji murad posted:

Are uploads grandfathered in?

I’m pretty sure the only thing grandfathered in is no ads during a podcast.

E: well, and dark theme maybe. Here's a screenshot of the premium page in the app:

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 10, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

arbybaconator posted:

The new CLIPS update is out. Some really cool AR stuff in there!

Probably the best tech demo for the iPhone X right now.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/9/16628774/apple-clips-2-app-update-iphone-x-selfie-scenes-icloud

Those are pretty cool. Now I kinda wish they added them to Facetime.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

I’d use Pocket Casts if Overcast didn’t exist. It’s a normal podcast app unlike Castro, and the UI doesn’t remind me of bad Android apps like Downcast’s does.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

empty baggie posted:

I’m pretty sure the only thing grandfathered in is no ads during a podcast.

E: well, and dark theme maybe. Here's a screenshot of the premium page in the app:

did marco ever explain why the font changes in the dark mode? it does make the whole thing look a lot more generic. i give marco a lot of poo poo but the general design of the app is a really great compromise between minimalism and personality, and i didn't realize how big a component the font was in that until i saw the app without it. truly greater than the sum of its parts imo

Godzilla07 posted:

I’d use Pocket Casts if Overcast didn’t exist. It’s a normal podcast app unlike Castro, and the UI doesn’t remind me of bad Android apps like Downcast’s does.

yeah i used pocket casts when I had an android phone, it was pretty good! the web interface is a ton better than overcast's as well iirc. i'd use overcast's a ton more if it just had a two pane view like the ipad app as opposed to a linear scrolling list of all the podcasts you've downloaded, which doesn't really fit with how i listen to podcasts and is kind of inconsistent with the app itself.

i don't get the point of castro. i understand all these triage-oriented features in an email app if you happen to be unlucky enough to have to deal with a shitloads of incoming email in the course of your day, but if the amount of podcasts you're listening to is that much of a cognitive load you really need to be more discerning in your podcast choices. imo at least

Boris Galerkin posted:

I started using Apollo, and I even paid for it too.

I’m not a typical reddit user in the sense that I don’t give a poo poo about voting or karma or ~community~ or whatever. Like I just want a content discovery tool and I don’t really care too much about other people’s opinions (comments) on it. On the off chances that I needed to ask a question or make a comment I would just create a new one off account though I noticed some subreddits don’t like new users posting threads or whatever so I hardly ever post anymore.

Anyway the cool thing about Apollo is that I can just browse r/all like I want and within the app I can filter out subreddits that are dumb like all the meme ones and the Donald Trump one without having to make an account. Every now and then I notice a dumb subreddit so I just filter that one too and it’s been working pretty well.

yeah i paid for it too; it's really too good not to. apparently it was in beta for literally years which explains why everything about it feels so polished. except the ipad app, which is very much a blown-up iphone app, but the dev does acknowledge that.

yeah i'll revise what i said; there is some more interesting discussion in the niche subreddits. the popular ones are more annoying than anything else to me so i just have a collection of stuff more relevant to my interests that i'm subbed to and it is a bit more interesting - very much the kind of thing that i'd check once a day or so to see if something cool has turned up. unfollowed pretty much everything tech related though as there's a huge amount of stuff that's just 'look at what i bought' or 'insert tech support problem here' that gets a ton of upvotes. twitter seems to fit my 'content discovery' urge better tho

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 11, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

did marco ever explain why the font changes in the dark mode? it does make the whole thing look a lot more generic. i give marco a lot of poo poo but the general design of the app is a really great compromise between minimalism and personality, and i didn't realize how big a component the font was in that until i saw the app without it. truly greater than the sum of its parts imo

I assume it's because the normal font seems like it would be harder to read on the dark background.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

empty baggie posted:

I assume it's because the normal font seems like it would be harder to read on the dark background.

yeah that's probably the case, but it would be nice to have the option

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Just here to note that non-X-optimized apps on the X are assssssss. C’mon, Google, get your flagship apps updated already.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Gonna poke the hornets' nest:

Is there a weather app that has push notifications for precipitation like Dark Sky but isn't Dark Sky?

I have and really enjoy Hello Weather but it doesn't (yet, it just updated and added a bunch of good stuff to their subscription tier) have push alerts.

Carrot Weather appears to have a rain/snow alert but only if you have a Mac with the app installed (or an Apple Watch, how does that work)?

Maybe I'll just stick with both Dark Sky and Hello Weather for now but I'd love just one app that does what each does.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thwomp posted:

Gonna poke the hornets' nest:

Is there a weather app that has push notifications for precipitation like Dark Sky but isn't Dark Sky?

I have and really enjoy Hello Weather but it doesn't (yet, it just updated and added a bunch of good stuff to their subscription tier) have push alerts.

Carrot Weather appears to have a rain/snow alert but only if you have a Mac with the app installed (or an Apple Watch, how does that work)?

Maybe I'll just stick with both Dark Sky and Hello Weather for now but I'd love just one app that does what each does.

The apple watch allows you to get those notifications if you purchase premium club, which is $3 yearly. Their monetizing is as rear end-backwards as Cisco or Microsoft, and would benefit from a chart. It's a pretty good app though.

Ifttt can also do rain notifications, but is not a weather app.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Storm by Weather Underground has precipitation, lightning, and hurricane alerts for free. It also has a Watch app (I don't have a watch though so I don't know how well it works).

But it also hasn't been updated in 5 months. I don't know if it needs updates-it still works-but they may have abandoned it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Accuweather does that as well.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zesty posted:

I’ve played around in there. The extra data from apps doesn’t add up to the many gigs the “other” category takes up.

I’ll continue to troubleshoot.

As someone who drove themselves crazy trying to understand the Other category across three iOS devices: it isn’t worth it. It’s probably something like the photos you have on the phone that could be offloaded to the cloud but are cached for now plus some system files that could be deleted plus some system files that can’t be. The exact nature of iOS storage is now some kind of weird quantum uncertainty thanks to the ways that APFS calculates and reports space.

Unless you are having serious performance issues, I wouldn’t worry about it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

FCKGW posted:

Accuweather does that as well.

The Accuweather app was also tracking people's locations even when denied access via iOS permissions (using Wifi data). For me at least that dropped them to the bottom of a fairly robust list of available weather apps.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'd rather take the rock on a string around with me than use anything associated with Accuweather or Barry Lee Myers

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah don't give business to Accuweather if you can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Nobody's using Weatherbug? It had battery drain issues on Android but I haven't noticed anything like that with iOS.