Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Which part of Sword Oath implies tank stance? My PLD isn't the best geared, but it was just Skalla. I have full Verity gear or better. It's my secondary class. There are just moments where the SAM unleashes their full big dick DPS and they get aggro for a second because I'm using the DPS combo instead of the Halone combo. Use Diversion! Dungeons are a team effort!

if you’re in verity (or close) gear, there’s a very real chance they were using diversion (as much as it is available), and in a class like samurai that doesn’t have a way to dump aggro, only mitigate its generation, it’s almost wholly on the tank to prevent that sort of thing from happening.

obviously in skalla it doesn’t matter but even in rabanastre a dps getting aggro at a bad time can gently caress people up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a guide to gearing out miner once I hit 50? I have no idea who im supposed to be getting gear from or how i'm supposed to get scrips to get gear.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Is there a guide to gearing out miner once I hit 50? I have no idea who im supposed to be getting gear from or how i'm supposed to get scrips to get gear.

Hit 51 and then buy NQ archaeoskin set from ishgard or moogle vendors. They'll also have upgrades at I think 53 and 55, with 57 being available from moogles if you have a crafter doing their quests. If not uhhh idk MB I guess??

Edit: also you might want to splurge out on 50-52 trinkets to try to get your GP up to 550+ for collectables. I hear the ideal amount is 600 GP with food. Luckily you don't need to upgrade those untill level 60+ I think.

Xun fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 10, 2017

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Luna Was Here posted:

Haven't done Miner but I did recently level Botanist to 70 and the two classes are pretty similar. It looks like you can get an i70 offhand, the Forager's Sledgehammer, pretty easily from the market board, and you should have gotten an i55 main hand from the level 50 job quest. There are better main hands available at level 50, but they're incredibly annoying to get so I wouldn't bother. Bang out the hardest levequests you can do reliably (the level 50 Ishgard ones should be doable with food and use of cooldowns/Cordials) until you get to level 51, and then you'll be able to buy i65 gear from one of the NPCs in Ishgard. A better pickaxe is available from the Market Board or an NPC at 52, and it might be worth buying the HQ version of that.

As for collectibles, the gear you can buy with scrip in the mid-50s isn't much better than the vendor stuff that you can get at those levels. You'd be better off saving any scrip you get for level 60, when a bunch of very good (and expensive) gear becomes available, not to mention stuff like folklore tomes and Tier V materia. Also, find a timer that tracks timed nodes for you. I personally use this one.

Finally, I used this site's BTN guide to take me to 70, and it was quite good, so I'm guessing their MIN one should be fine too. Just make sure you have an adblocker on because it had a lot of autoplaying videos last time I looked.

don't mind me just saying hi to mom and dad

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Leofish posted:

Hey, any suggestions for my FC room? I'm going for a "hanging gardens" kind of thing, but I'm wondering what else would go well with such a theme. I do want to get/make some potted plants. I had a second couch and pillar combo on the other side but I felt like it was too repetitive.

It's in TPT's house, Room 108, I think (Leodor Gaspard) if anyone wants to see it in person.

Llymlaen's Embrace, Ivy pillars, potted plants (there are both tabletops and ground ones), flowerpots (most of the full grown plants have good models if you can afford not to harvest them and you don't mind the sparkling, otherwise you take them out and display in a vase) and dyeable versions of whatever furniture you like. The oriental bathtub is probably the only one you could make a convincing pond out of, with some clipping of other items on the sides. One aquarium would probably fit too.

Just a few suggestions, you'll find out what works and what doesn't only by putting things down to start.

http://en.ff14housing.com/ is fairly good to preview things and has material lists for craftable furniture.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of!

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/1df1b201e19e9f3c08b4819be1a23560e1ec6f26

Winners from the furniture contest.

So much new carby furniture to acquire....

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Leofish posted:

Hey, any suggestions for my FC room? I'm going for a "hanging gardens" kind of thing, but I'm wondering what else would go well with such a theme. I do want to get/make some potted plants. I had a second couch and pillar combo on the other side but I felt like it was too repetitive.

It's in TPT's house, Room 108, I think (Leodor Gaspard) if anyone wants to see it in person.

I would probably do one wall more natural stone/wood with a lot of windows. The natural light from the windows works really well with all the greenery, since it's basically a "natural" thing in itself. Like this sort of thing that I saw on reddit, but less everwhere:

I'm personally not a fan of the actual tree wallpaper because it's so repetitive and flat that it takes away from any organic look you may be going for. There are lots and lots of pots and plants as housing in the game, so there's lots of better ways to go for green.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of!

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/1df1b201e19e9f3c08b4819be1a23560e1ec6f26

A lot of that is slight changes to existing things. Not exactly exciting stuff.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So. I have a second retainer. Is it better to have him be a BTN, MNR, or FSH? I read somewhere that a gathering prof is best for your second one, but I'm not sure which. I'm leveling them all equally myself to avoid having the gear spread out over all the levels. Suggestions?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Alloran posted:

Is it better to have him be a BTN, MNR, or FSH?

Whatever compliments your favorite crafting classes. I did a lot of weaving so I had my retainer be a botanist.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

EponymousMrYar posted:

Some people have a hard time thinking in terms of 'John Fukkin' Madden.'

I find that MCH takes an iota more brainpower than BRD these days because Overheat + Wildfire is worse to mess up than any of BRD's songs, accidentally refreshing straight shot instead of shooting tons of arrow lasers, or barraging an Empyreal Arrow just as Refulgant procs.

I may just be used to BRD at this point, but I find the chaos of the class somewhat comforting and... well, predictable for the most part in the sense that eventually you get to a point where you're automatically like "if [x] happens, do [y], if I get Reflugent right when SS is about to fall off and my dots are about to fall off, do [x], [y], then [z], don't loving clip the GCD by getting greedy with this Bloodletter proc, etc." Plus, Army's Paeon might as well be a victory lap right now given how gently caress all happens in it and you're waiting for Raging to come off of cooldown so you can do the song cycle all over again.

MCH is more stressful for me because Wildfire is the only thing that matters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Team 5150 finally got the U Bahamut clear on stream.
Fuzzy feelings.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Which part of Sword Oath implies tank stance? My PLD isn't the best geared, but it was just Skalla. I have full Verity gear or better. It's my secondary class. There are just moments where the SAM unleashes their full big dick DPS and they get aggro for a second because I'm using the DPS combo instead of the Halone combo. Use Diversion! Dungeons are a team effort!

is this on trash packs or a boss? I have found on a boss one threat combo in take stance is more then enough even if dps dont use diversion. Also I never go dps stance for big trash pulls.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

if you are using verity gear then i'm willing to bet the sam DID use diversion.

verity gear is hot garbage and you will have to get used to people forcing you out of sword oath.

EDIT: if, of course, they are any good at their jobs.

My PLD is in all 320 (Better than verity I suppose) and even at that Ilvl a person in full 340 can and will catch up to me eventually forcing me into shield for a bit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of!

It giant Fat Cat beanbag chair is rad. I like the koi pond too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shirk the dps and then after they die the problem will fix itself.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of!

That behemoth throne is metal as hell and the coerul kitten lamp is painfully adorable. Clearly a matching set.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thundarr posted:

That behemoth throne is metal as hell

Can't wait to get a chair more gaudy then my crystal tower chair.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Irae posted:

Llymlaen's Embrace, Ivy pillars, potted plants (there are both tabletops and ground ones), flowerpots (most of the full grown plants have good models if you can afford not to harvest them and you don't mind the sparkling, otherwise you take them out and display in a vase) and dyeable versions of whatever furniture you like. The oriental bathtub is probably the only one you could make a convincing pond out of, with some clipping of other items on the sides. One aquarium would probably fit too.

Just a few suggestions, you'll find out what works and what doesn't only by putting things down to start.

http://en.ff14housing.com/ is fairly good to preview things and has material lists for craftable furniture.

I didn't know about the ivy pillar and those would be great. I wanted to try and make the glade bathtub into a kind of pond with planter partitions around it, but I couldn't get it to work. I also like the idea of adding an aquarium. Are there limits on the size compared to the room?

ruta posted:

I would probably do one wall more natural stone/wood with a lot of windows. The natural light from the windows works really well with all the greenery, since it's basically a "natural" thing in itself. Like this sort of thing that I saw on reddit, but less everwhere:

I'm personally not a fan of the actual tree wallpaper because it's so repetitive and flat that it takes away from any organic look you may be going for. There are lots and lots of pots and plants as housing in the game, so there's lots of better ways to go for green.

I never thought of adding extra windows. You're right, that would be a good idea too.

This is all obviously a work in progress. Thanks for the replies!

E: with the furniture winners announced, I have to say the one thing I've always wanted (and I don't know if this would even be possible to code) would be an item that lets you place a minion in your house or room like you do with vendors. It would take up a vendor slot, and the pet would just move around the area where it was set down as if that area was you. You wouldn't be able to summon it if it was in your house, but then you could come home to your dog or cat or weird slime monster thing.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 10, 2017

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

If you're losing threat because they're putting out too much dps that's a good thing. They hit harder than you. Start managing threat better.

Also I would love to see the various BLM apologists try to use BLM in Ultimate and try to tell me that Manaward/Manipulation/Between the Lines are up nearly often enough to not lose huge amounts of dps. My static's BLM (who has been playing the job since 2.2) switched to SMN (with 2 weeks of practice) and was doing more damage more easily after maybe 2 pulls.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

To be fair summoner is insane right now.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

SKULL.GIF posted:

O4S is tantalizingly close to being cleared, we just have issues keeping people alive and not making dumb mistakes. It's fascinating looking at our performances and comparing it to the people who cleared the fight in July in 320 gear in the first 48 hours.

One you get past GCO the fight progresses really quickly, we cleared it the 3rd or so time we got past GCO - and the first time was a 9% wipe to enrage with like 8 deaths as we just drug ourselves to the finish line.

Good luck!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've never played XI, but I still got a chuckle out of the first part of the quest being a fight against a bunch of crabs.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The valkurm dunes crabs butchering PCs with bubbles is still hilarious all these years later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hit 70 on BLM a couple days ago and can definitely say that it seems like a really cool class if you don't have any mechanics to do.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

You're likely correct. If you haven't read them already the journal entries are fun for the SB quests. This is both because Fray/Esteem is still writing them but also because it implies you sort of knew all along what was happening and went along with it because you actually did help a couple of people out.

Incidentally as somebody pointed out a while ago Myste is meant to really strongly evoke both Haurchefant and Ysayle, so while they didn't really fully spell out everything that happened it's not hard to put it together.

I think I genuinely liked the SB ones better than the 30-50 DRK quests, and a lot of that is because of how it builds on the previous storylines and is weirdly positive.

The last line in your quest log for the 70 quest is really sweet.

"You are still a good person." :gbsmith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oh that's why i can't get my drk to 70 then

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Holyshoot posted:

is this on trash packs or a boss? I have found on a boss one threat combo in take stance is more then enough even if dps dont use diversion. Also I never go dps stance for big trash pulls.

I never bother with Sword during trash pulls. It was the first boss where it hit. He was on my heels with threat, but I know how to adjust when I actually get a DPS who makes me sweat. It happened when the boss went for Hydro Pull. So I have to move out of melee (because it is only now that I even remember I can use Tempered Will). The SAM didn't and just kept smacking the boss. I don't know what I can do to continue keeping my threat lead in Sword Oath if he does that and also doesn't use Diversion. It's not a big deal or anything, but I hate to see someone die and blame me and feel like I could've done something different. Just sitting in Shield for bosses sounds like agony though.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

I want that Chocobo bed... :3:

Is it wrong to want the FF11 Battle theme instead of a throwaway Glam I will never use?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you don’t need to sit in shield oath for the entire boss battle, you just need to sit in shield oath for more of your opener. two or three tank stance rage of halones will give you a huge enmity jump.

on war in dungeon bosses I think i’m in defiance for like 7 or 8 GCDs and I doubt I could lose enmity if I tried

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I never bother with Sword during trash pulls. It was the first boss where it hit. He was on my heels with threat, but I know how to adjust when I actually get a DPS who makes me sweat. It happened when the boss went for Hydro Pull. So I have to move out of melee (because it is only now that I even remember I can use Tempered Will). The SAM didn't and just kept smacking the boss. I don't know what I can do to continue keeping my threat lead in Sword Oath if he does that and also doesn't use Diversion. It's not a big deal or anything, but I hate to see someone die and blame me and feel like I could've done something different. Just sitting in Shield for bosses sounds like agony though.

its a fact of life that you're going to have to work for enmity as a tank in dungeons. in 8-man content you can shirk jerk with your cotank to make hate a joke, but by yourself all you can do is throw out as many halone combos as you think you need, which you can judge by how good the dps are (running a parser helps here). i raided as tank for a while and have a paladin with pretty good gear (340 weapon, largely 330 gear) and while i can manage to keep hate against a sam/blm till a boss dies with only a single shield-oath halone combo, it gets pretty close near the end. it helps to also have a comparatively high dps on your end, so you may want to make sure your rotation is as strong as it can be.

becoming a good tank is a process, one which starts with the admission one has something to learn.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rastan Beeza posted:

Is it wrong to want the FF11 Battle theme instead of a throwaway Glam I will never use?

Not really. The reward armor isn't that great this time around.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I want the Glaive for glamour not the armor :smith:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I finally created almost what I wanted bath/indoor water feature-wise using false walls and partitions, and that royal bathtub would make it work just so much better.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

Not really. The reward armor isn't that great this time around.

It's the same armor as last time though?

I agree a bonus FFXI orchestration roll would be cool.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

its a fact of life that you're going to have to work for enmity as a tank in dungeons. in 8-man content you can shirk jerk with your cotank to make hate a joke, but by yourself all you can do is throw out as many halone combos as you think you need, which you can judge by how good the dps are (running a parser helps here). i raided as tank for a while and have a paladin with pretty good gear (340 weapon, largely 330 gear) and while i can manage to keep hate against a sam/blm till a boss dies with only a single shield-oath halone combo, it gets pretty close near the end. it helps to also have a comparatively high dps on your end, so you may want to make sure your rotation is as strong as it can be.

becoming a good tank is a process, one which starts with the admission one has something to learn.

at the same time if a dps is not using diversion they deserve to die because it's causing not needed rage of halones to be thrown out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SonicRulez posted:

Just sitting in Shield for bosses sounds like agony though.

Sometimes you're just going to have to do this if you're running with crazy gangbusta DPS that blow everything out of the water and they heavily outgear you.

If throwing out Halone's in Sword Oath isn't keeping your threat lead, swap back into Shield and throw them out, then swap back to Sword. Swapping Oath's just costs mana and a GCD now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thundarr posted:

It's the same armor as last time though?

I agree a bonus FFXI orchestration roll would be cool.

Not everyone was around for the last event.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just finished the lvl 50 quest for Dragoon and cannot piece the end of that quest with Heavensward beginnings. Can someone give me a refresher how that made sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I just finished the lvl 50 quest for Dragoon and cannot piece the end of that quest with Heavensward beginnings. Can someone give me a refresher how that made sense

Estinien bailed, got himself back under control, and came back. He even thanks you for knocking some sense into him at one point if you complete it before going through Heavensward, IIRC.