Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

baquerd posted:

Why? Are you actually familiar with the standard tailoring measurements? What's missing? As long as you know what a brands measurements are, and your own, figuring out fit is some basic math.

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me you've never once, in all your years on this Earth, talked to a woman about what it's like for them and sizing? Like not a single time?

Forget about talking to one about this, have you never come across a single article or opinion piece by a woman talking about how maddening the whole process is if you're outside a standard deviation of the mean in any possible metric (height, weight, bust size, hip width, etc)?

This is a thing..it is the thing with women's clothing since like the 1950's.

With guys you had three measurements, tops, unless you were fitting for a suit or buying high end: Waist size, inseam and neck size/shirt size (dress shirt/casual shirt). It's only recently, since we got over that whole yards and yards of fabric thing that you started to see indistinct sizing show up...stuff like the difference between...classic, slim, skinny, athletic..etc. All of which vary by manufacturer, which means our sizing is becoming more arbitrary and maddening like women's. We simply never really had to take torso to shoulder ratio and stuff like thigh circumference into account until pretty recently.

Crow Jane posted:

Nordstrom Rack is legit. I used to like Loehmann's and Filene's Basement as well, before they went out of business

Nordstrom is great, but it's fallen off. They used to have some legit steals on Hautelook and the Rack that have fallen off in the last couple years. I got all the pairs of my Nudie Jeans from them for like 125 total. 3 pairs. Those were the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me you've never once, in all your years on this Earth, talked to a woman about what it's like for them and sizing? Like not a single time?

Forget about talking to one about this, have you never come across a single article or opinion piece by a woman talking about how maddening the whole process is if you're outside a standard deviation of the mean in any possible metric (height, weight, bust size, hip width, etc)?

This is a thing..it is the thing with women's clothing since like the 1950's.

With guys you had three measurements, tops, unless you were fitting for a suit or buying high end: Waist size, inseam and neck size/shirt size (dress shirt/casual shirt). It's only recently, since we got over that whole yards and yards of fabric thing that you started to see indistinct sizing show up...stuff like the difference between...classic, slim, skinny, athletic..etc. All of which vary by manufacturer, which means our sizing is becoming more arbitrary and maddening like women's. We simply never really had to take torso to shoulder ratio and stuff like thigh circumference into account until pretty recently.

having infinity sizes in very fine variations sounds a lot more like a thing an online store would eventually be the one to solve over a retail store where you gotta just try stuff on until you hope something is close enough. Like having to randomly try on clothes until something fits right is the way it is now because it's a bad system, not an advantage of retail.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I mean tech-wise it seems like the solution would be a depth-scanning system that scans your naked body so that you have precise and comprehensive measurements, and then retail websites could use that to show how different pieces of clothing (which have similarly precise measurements) would fit on you on a 3D model. But even people who have no privacy concerns with Google or Facebook would probably balk at that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TyroneGoldstein posted:

All the women I know don't tend to have problems with their tailored clothes. Your complaint seems to be more that brands don't properly disclose all of the meaningful measurements as opposed to saying women can't be measured to clothes that fit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

I mean tech-wise it seems like the solution would be a depth-scanning system that scans your naked body so that you have precise and comprehensive measurements, and then retail websites could use that to show how different pieces of clothing (which have similarly precise measurements) would fit on you on a 3D model. But even people who have no privacy concerns with Google or Facebook would probably balk at that.

If they have a giant database of clothes you would just need to submit some piece of clothing you already own that you like the fit of and then they can use that as the fit, no need to submit a photo of your anus.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Looks like someone knows nothing about vertical integration

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

htransaction costs prevent that (at least rigth now with amazon and clothing)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nordstrom is great, but it's fallen off. They used to have some legit steals on Hautelook and the Rack that have fallen off in the last couple years. I got all the pairs of my Nudie Jeans from them for like 125 total. 3 pairs. Those were the days.

I haven't been in a couple years, but I always used to have insane luck at Gabriel Brothers. The stores are an utter clusterfuck and you have to wade through a lot of garbage, but when you score there, you really score.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Goa Tse-tung posted:

htransaction costs prevent that (at least rigth now with amazon and clothing)

Is this an attempt at a dril tweet or are you stroking out?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Anyway the thing that annoys me the most about women's clothing (aside from being tall, I have a relatively easy body to find clothes for) is that bra manufacturers seem to think every woman wants enormous tits that rest just under their chin. I don't want or need cantilever action or an inch of padding, just something to hold my boobs in place, and that's surprisingly difficult to find.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Horizontal supply chains have many competitive advantages. They tend to be cheaper and more scalable. But they also tend to be slower and have issues differentiating products for different markets and are more complicated . So some companies are stay to hybridize or have two chain. Hybridization should be having something like localization where the last parts of the product are made closer to where it will be sold and tailored to the local markets (processed food manufacturers often do n this. ) Dual, looks like some products are made globally in horizontal chains , but other are made locally in vertical chains to respond quickly to trends and to innovate (Zara does this)

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

fishmech posted:

You are literally describing a perfect business to put into a mall slot.

Malls have expensive rent though

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Stretch Marx posted:

With the exception of groceries, most other basic things are going to eventually switch over to online. If you need a toaster but can wait two days, plenty of online stores have them in greater selection and pricing. Same for most other appliances and electronics. Things like tools and power equipment will see most of their stock go online . The exception will be tools that require to be personally adjusted (chainsaws, lawnmowers, leaf blowers etc) as buying a tool you can't handle isn't worthwhile to you if you have to send it back to get a replacement and you need the tool today. Also things that are two impractical to mail back for repair will still require someone local to fix them.

The problem is that the majority of these items were the big ticket purchases that retail used to pay its rents

Sure Bestbuy has greater margins selling impulse items like cables and poo poo but in order to pay rent they'd have to sell thousands of them to make up the difference of people buying a couple tvs.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

having infinity sizes in very fine variations sounds a lot more like a thing an online store would eventually be the one to solve over a retail store where you gotta just try stuff on until you hope something is close enough. Like having to randomly try on clothes until something fits right is the way it is now because it's a bad system, not an advantage of retail.

exactly, a retail store is only going to sell some sort of generic that kinda fits women with big boobs vs an online store that can match variations of your cupsize, all you have to do it just hit slightly bigger or slightly smaller

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Horizontal supply chains have many competitive advantages. They tend to be cheaper and more scalable. But they also tend to be slower and have issues differentiating products for different markets and are more complicated . So some companies are stay to hybridize or have two chain. Hybridization should be having something like localization where the last parts of the product are made closer to where it will be sold and tailored to the local markets (processed food manufacturers often do n this. ) Dual, looks like some products are made globally in horizontal chains , but other are made locally in vertical chains to respond quickly to trends and to innovate (Zara does this)

I was talking about getting people to give you bhole pics for free and then selling them clothes but on second thought that's less of vertical integration and more of a win win

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magius1337est posted:

exactly, a retail store is only going to sell some sort of generic that kinda fits women with big boobs vs an online store that can match variations of your cupsize, all you have to do it just hit slightly bigger or slightly smaller

Yeah, it sounds like retail currently has the advantage because you can walk in and randomly try all the size 10s and maybe one will randomly happen to fit and that is better than the internet's solution of just order a size 10 and hope it fits. But that overall seems like a comically supremely bad solution. But the real solution of having a hundred permutations of every possible slight variation in fit seems absolutely totally unworkable from a retail shelf space standpoint but much more workable on a website.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The thing that stops me from buying more clothing online is that I'm kinda particular about textiles, and if I can't actually touch something I'm not gonna know for sure if I'm gonna like it or not. Plugging in my measurements is one thing, but I can't exactly send in a skin sample to tell if something's gonna be itchy or not

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also lol, facebook just actually announced a service where you can upload photos of your b hole

(with the intent that you can upload a photo you want forever banned, like if you worry your photos leaked you can upload them to say "block this everywhere forever" but it involves uploading it and people reviewing it which is lol)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Magius1337est posted:

Malls have expensive rent though

They can if they're super popular, but...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

bhole pics for free and then selling them

I have less than no regrets about missing the bhole pic parts.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BrandorKP posted:

I have less than no regrets about missing the bhole pic parts.

The Bhole thing is people imagining that some sort of cloths fitting app would for some reason involve sending nude photos to someone, which is absolutely insane and not how any actual company would ever design anything like that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

Anyway the thing that annoys me the most about women's clothing (aside from being tall, I have a relatively easy body to find clothes for) is that bra manufacturers seem to think every woman wants enormous tits that rest just under their chin. I don't want or need cantilever action or an inch of padding, just something to hold my boobs in place, and that's surprisingly difficult to find.

I'm disappointed you didnt go for a flying buttress joke.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

got any sevens posted:

I'm disappointed you didnt go for a flying buttress joke.

The whole problem is that I'm more like the Chrysler building than a cathedral, but lingerie companies keep trying to sell me flying buttresses anyway :mad:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it sounds like retail currently has the advantage because you can walk in and randomly try all the size 10s and maybe one will randomly happen to fit and that is better than the internet's solution of just order a size 10 and hope it fits. But that overall seems like a comically supremely bad solution. But the real solution of having a hundred permutations of every possible slight variation in fit seems absolutely totally unworkable from a retail shelf space standpoint but much more workable on a website.

The problem is that I'd rather try something on and see that it fits than do the guesswork of ordering online. If manufacturers got their asses together and actually standardized sizing so I could just plug in a series of measurements and see what would work, that'd be amazing, but that's not how it works. The number of times I've ordered something and even though it's in "my size" the hem falls over my toes or the shirt goes past my waist is astonishing and nothing is more maddening than having to return poo poo because the people who make clothes seem to be using shapeless potato sacks as mannequins.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
speaking of dying industries can we talk about commercial real estate like office parks and poo poo?

seems nowadays with most of the business being done online "in the cloud" it seems you don't really need a big giant office building anymore especially since companies downsized or outsourced in the 2000s

hr and account information entering and other gruntwork can be done at home via telecommuting, possibly sales too, you don't really need all of your company in one central location to communicate with each other now that you can send files between people and use instant messenger and skype to communicate

really all that leaves are offices as the central meeting place occasionally or as showcases for how important/big your company is with downtown offices in a sky scraper or something

and besides people hate commuting nowadays so what's the point of having all these big office complexes?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the future is your prestigious law firm or accounting firm or something is running their entire operation out of the business equivalent of the guy living in a storage facility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbiH2ugkps

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People work less hard when remote, companies will pay more to make you suffer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There isn't a point to them, which is why it's a huge realestate crisis that so many are sitting empty and quickly decaying. It's probably a bigger problem than even dying/abandoned malls. They're super hard to adapt to other uses too. "Just turn them into affordable housing". it's often cheaper to just demo and build new than try to adapt them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

speaking of dying industries can we talk about commercial real estate like office parks and poo poo?

seems nowadays with most of the business being done online "in the cloud" it seems you don't really need a big giant office building anymore especially since companies downsized or outsourced in the 2000s

hr and account information entering and other gruntwork can be done at home via telecommuting, possibly sales too, you don't really need all of your company in one central location to communicate with each other now that you can send files between people and use instant messenger and skype to communicate

really all that leaves are offices as the central meeting place occasionally or as showcases for how important/big your company is with downtown offices in a sky scraper or something

and besides people hate commuting nowadays so what's the point of having all these big office complexes?

i dunno if your gimmick is trying to justify how you never have to go outside but a huge amount of face to face interaction is necessary even in a white collar environment, mostly just for internal efficiency and so your bosses can ensure you're not spending all day "working from home" aka jacking off and watching netflix

Baronjutter posted:

There isn't a point to them, which is why it's a huge realestate crisis that so many are sitting empty and quickly decaying. It's probably a bigger problem than even dying/abandoned malls. They're super hard to adapt to other uses too. "Just turn them into affordable housing". it's often cheaper to just demo and build new than try to adapt them.

office vacancy is a problem but like retail vacancy it's not because there's no need for these things, it's that it is easy for our economy to oversupply these structures since it's relatively cheap to throw up cheap offices or strip malls

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Barudak posted:

People work less hard when remote, companies will pay more to make you suffer.

I spent months after my contracting work was completed being flown across the country and put up in a hotel until go live was completed.

I did literally nothing. I was just on the hook until the support period was over.

They paid for me to fly out every week because they wanted to see an rear end in a chair.

Never underestimate how many fucks managers give about asses in chairs.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A few of the dying office parks around here are being filled with trampoline parks, escape rooms and the like. Still horribly depressing to look at.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 10, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also with the way we build urban space in north america, it's super easy to oversupply retail and office space since you can buy some land and throw it up relatively cheap even though it may be a bad economic decision. this kind of churn in terms of vacant and or abandoned property is part of the normal functioning of a free market economy. it's stupid and inefficient but this is the sort of stupid inefficiency baked into the system - remember that the invisible hand isn't perfectly rational, it bounces between extreme points around an idealized equilibrium

so a brand new but empty office park doesn't mean that the internet is killing offices or whatever, it just means that some development company hosed up their projections about how much office space the local market demands, or failed to market their property well enough when trying to attract customers

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

also with the way we build urban space in north america, it's super easy to oversupply retail and office space since you can buy some land and throw it up relatively cheap even though it may be a bad economic decision. this kind of churn in terms of vacant and or abandoned property is part of the normal functioning of a free market economy. it's stupid and inefficient but this is the sort of stupid inefficiency baked into the system - remember that the invisible hand isn't perfectly rational, it bounces between extreme points around an idealized equilibrium

so a brand new but empty office park doesn't mean that the internet is killing offices or whatever, it just means that some development company hosed up their projections about how much office space the local market demands, or failed to market their property well enough when trying to attract customers

ya but a lot of it was made with that 90s office space mentality that we'd have giant office complexes with hundreds of people all doing menial boring poo poo in a cubicle

instead now the accounting department just has one accountant that verifies that whatever is automatically entered into the forms looks right as a data scraper and online ordering system fills it in

this poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OvQIGDg4I

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
like realistically most office buildings are really just a shell, before you'd have a company rent an entire floor but now they don't have nearly as many people so they're not using all that space

the building gets remodeled and now you have several companies sharing a floor, there's practically no need for commercial office space growth if the size of companies is going to get smaller and workers begin working remotely

the market has peaked

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

ya but a lot of it was made with that 90s office space mentality that we'd have giant office complexes with hundreds of people all doing menial boring poo poo in a cubicle

instead now the accounting department just has one accountant that verifies that whatever is automatically entered into the forms looks right as a data scraper and online ordering system fills it in

wow i guess it's impossible to renovate or subdivide office buildings huh. too bad they can't do anything with a giant open space divided up internally by flimsy non-loadbearing walls

Magius1337est posted:

like realistically most office buildings are really just a shell, before you'd have a company rent an entire floor but now they don't have nearly as many people so they're not using all that space

the building gets remodeled and now you have several companies sharing a floor, there's practically no need for commercial office space growth if the size of companies is going to get smaller and workers begin working remotely

the market has peaked

what do you do for a living

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

wow i guess it's impossible to renovate or subdivide office buildings huh. too bad they can't do anything with a giant open space divided up internally by flimsy non-loadbearing walls

what do you do for a living

companies are getting smaller and the barrier to entry is a lot higher, no one is going to build new office buildings for awhile

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
that is a false statement and also please confirm that you are an IT contractor thanks

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

that is a false statement and also please confirm that you are an IT contractor thanks

restaurant owner, several locations, I sit at home and watch the closed circuit tv and check inventory and sales with an all-in-one program, my accounting is practically all automated.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
whole lotta growth for jobs I tell ya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GnsJrN7aw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol no wonder your perspective is so skewed, you're a useless middleman