Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As a kid growing up in the heartland you get the idea that a "gypsy" is something you can choose to be, like, anybody can run away from home and dress up like a fortune teller and join a group of other people who have done the same. I had literally no idea they were a distinct ethnic group for years. I think that's why a lot of Americans struggle with that particular slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly enough, there's a... kind of equivalent/similar stereotype in the US with carnies, apparently. Though they're more a mix of white trash stereotypes and an odd resurgence of the ancient stereotype of entertainment industry workers being somewhere between beggars and prostitutes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Inescapable Duck posted:

Weirdly enough, there's a... kind of equivalent/similar stereotype in the US with carnies, apparently. Though they're more a mix of white trash stereotypes and an odd resurgence of the ancient stereotype of entertainment industry workers being somewhere between beggars and prostitutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSZwEwl_1Q

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Inescapable Duck posted:

It doesn't help there's a fair few fantasy settings that more or less literally have gypsies or counterparts as a fantasy race.

Sci fi, too

Inescapable Duck posted:

The difference is that carnival worker isn't a race

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's confused by the fact that Roma and Irish Travellers are both often called gypsies and there's definitely crossover between the traveller community and 'carnies'. Whether or not travellers are a race is irrelevant. They're recognised as a distinct ethnic group who experience routine prejudice and discrimination, which is often defended or overlooked because they happen to have light skin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hitler also tried to wipe them out too. People usually forget that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ziv Zulander posted:

The difference is that carnival worker isn't a race

He knows. The point is in America there's a cultural idea that gypsies are basically carnies and there's not necessarily an exact racial connotation. For a really long time they were portrayed in pop culture as mysterious backwards thieves/fortune tellers who ran travelling fairs and carnivals and could be most any race or mix of races

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I honestly never made the connection between gypsies and "gypped" until I was expressly told because I had never seen it written down until I saw people posting about it online. I always thought it was spelled "jipped" and was never curious enough to look up its origins since it wasn't a phrase I heard used very often. The only one I can think of is actually that Weird Al song.

Not race related, but Weird Al also had a song called "Christmas at Ground Zero", which was about Christmas being celebrated in a nuclear wasteland. It was released during the cold war. People a little while back that heard it for the first time, though, were offended that Al would write a song that was insensitive to the 9/11 attacks, since the area was called Ground Zero basically until the new tower was built.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gertrude Perkins posted:

There's also the much more recent Word Crimes, where he uses the word "spastic", which is absoluely a "no don't do this" slur against disabled people in many places, especially the UK.

It's absolutely not like that in North America though, and it leads to some pretty hideous misunderstandings. Like that scene in Clerks 2.

I'm better now though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's absolutely not like that in North America though, and it leads to some pretty hideous misunderstandings. Like that scene in Clerks 2.

I'm better now though.

Yeah in the US at least spaz or being spastic has always just meant "someone with way too much energy or who overreacts to everything"

although we don't really call someone "a spastic" so that term pretty much just doesn't exist here

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I can't talk about how I hate fags you can't call people spastics.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sassassin posted:

If I can't talk about how I hate fags you can't call people spastics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeatUvRu68

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Inescapable Duck posted:

as a child, i literally thought gypsy and carnie were synonymous, and it wasn't until learning about ww2 in middle school that i found out gypsies were something different.

luckily i had that context when i watched the episode of macgyver where he befriended a gypsy child, because the stereotypes here are so similar that i don't know that i would have noticed right away

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

With today's environment he'd best hedge his bets by starring in two films:

One portrays a well-meaning film producer who gets his career destroyed by an evil woman accusing him of sexual harassment which he totally didn't do you guys.

The other portrays a former child star haunted by memories of past abuse, finally getting the courage to stand up to the dying producer who first assaulted him.

Why make it two films? Hanks has the range to play both characters simultaneously. Just dig into Mazes and Monsters and Bosom Buddies for for assets to CG up "young Hanks" flashback scenes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair to Al apparently IIRC he didn't know at the time that spastic was a slur and avoids that song as a result.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
So “spastic” (and maybe also “spaz”) is off the table? Can I at least still use “crazy-pants” or?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you're speaking to Americans, it's A-OK to say "spastic" because it's not a slur in American English. If you're speaking to people from a Commonwealth country or the UK, it's bad mojo. If you don't know your audience It's probably best to avoid it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
So when Frank Zappa sang "Thanks to Freddie, I'm a sexual spastic" was that an offensive song or politically correct song?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

psychopomp posted:

Why make it two films? Hanks has the range to play both characters simultaneously. Just dig into Mazes and Monsters and Bosom Buddies for for assets to CG up "young Hanks" flashback scenes.

We were talking about Eddie Murphy, which is even more appropriate, considering he's become famous for multiple characters in the same film.

But they have to be two separate movies because the whole gag is that the people who would vote "yes" on one are the ones who would vote "no" on the other. We don't want to give them any kind of ambiguity, otherwise they'll vote for something else.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

lemon-lyme disease posted:

So “spastic” (and maybe also “spaz”) is off the table? Can I at least still use “crazy-pants” or?

It'd make more sense to you if you'd seen it in action as a playground insult. There was a whole pantomime of extreme cerebral palsy symptoms to go along with it, including gurning and noises. In my area we'd call it the spacker dance. All very well for an eight year old in the eighties but definitely not something to bring into adulthood!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Ya know how people in the UK and Australia are absolutely befuddled that Americans have such an aversion to the C word? It's basically the inverse to that.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Yeah I'm not going to go off at an American for a 'spaz' at all, but they better keep their hands off my oval office. I need that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ItsDisposable posted:

Yeah I'm not going to go off at an American for a 'spaz' at all, but they better keep their hands off my oval office. I need that.

You should be fine as long as you stay away from the white house.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

You should be fine as long as you stay away from the white house.

And any and all celebrities

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

On second thought, maybe you should just hold off on visiting for a while.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ariong posted:

On second thought, maybe you should just hold off on visiting for a while.

won't be any better off at home

possibly worse

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's a good song so I kinda wish it still got airtime but welp

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dejawesp posted:

So when Frank Zappa sang "Thanks to Freddie, I'm a sexual spastic" was that an offensive song or politically correct song?

:colbert:

If you know the context of the line, I think you know the answer to that question.

I love so much of Zappa's music but then so much of it really makes me uncomfortable

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CommonShore posted:

:colbert:

If you know the context of the line, I think you know the answer to that question.

I love so much of Zappa's music but then so much of it really makes me uncomfortable

"Shut Up n' Play Yer Guitar" isn't just a clever title, it's what most people would prefer

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Skip to 2:50 to hear the song "Spaz" getting pulled off the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qJ5_z6dx4

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The BBC banned a song called Spasticus Autisticus, even though it was written by a disabled guy in protest of the patronising treatment given to disabled people.

https://youtu.be/6isXNVdguI8

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Uh-oh..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG98X8NsMKs

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXi4hhtUVM8

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm surprised Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" still gets as much airplay considering the gay slur in it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm surprised Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" still gets as much airplay considering the gay slur in it.

A lot of the time there will be an odd audio skip on the vocals around that point.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

That's not on the shortened version that gets played the most.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Long or short version, it’s still been edited out for probably six or seven years at this point anytime I’ve heard it on radio or wherever. They used to just mute the word “human being”, like some songs will mute curse words, but more recently the versions I’ve heard either mute all the vocals in that section or remove it entirely, skipping to the next course.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alan Partridge was ahead of it's time

https://twitter.com/partridgequotes/status/385407523517636608

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The presence of the word 'human being' doesn't stop loving Fairytale of New York getting played ad nauseam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

The presence of the word 'human being' doesn't stop loving Fairytale of New York getting played ad nauseam

yeah but she just sounds so whimsical when she sings it