Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Plan Z posted:

Apparently the issue is that they want to be able to update it real time with patch changes but nobody uses the loving things cause it loads so slow anyway. It is a treat playing the older games and just BAM useful information.

This idea always seemed weird to me. Like it isn't like they're planning on keeping the faction background updated with the latest archaeological breakthroughs, so what is the point of doing an end-run around the patching process? Literally the only reason it's going to get changed is if the units themselves see changes, which is only going to occur through a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The in game stats weren't great in med 2 but at the very least I could click it by accident and not go "oh poo poo gently caress poo poo gently caress" while it very slowly loads up, unlike rome 2 which did exactly that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Impaler posted:

url=steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686841691]Charge changes[/url]
Results in more 'meshing' in combat after charges. Probably my favourite mod, as something that I hated in Rome 2 at first is how hoplite phalanxes would charge each other at an awkward angle and only two three guys would fight, the rest of the block stopping dead. This also makes things like standing still and shield wall more important so that enemy doesnt break through easily.

What's the difference between this and disabling formation fighting?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I downloaded DEI and fiddled around with it for a bit and thought of several different things that could be said about it. I'll settle for this, its somehow less intuitive then a TW2, a game that has lizard people, rat people, two variants of elves, loving magic, and a campaign where each faction has its own little gimmick. Jimmy Christmas, how can you be so obtuse?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

I downloaded DEI and fiddled around with it for a bit and thought of several different things that could be said about it. I'll settle for this, its somehow less intuitive then a TW2, a game that has lizard people, rat people, two variants of elves, loving magic, and a campaign where each faction has its own little gimmick. Jimmy Christmas, how can you be so obtuse?

Things I like: The reform system

Things I dont like: lmao

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DEI is what happens when you let TWCenter dictate gameplay changes. Obtuse, clunky mechanics that really only serve to punish the player for wanting to have fun rather than jerk off to caligae or whatever it is the grogs are into now.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gonkish posted:

DEI is what happens when you let TWCenter dictate gameplay changes. Obtuse, clunky mechanics that really only serve to punish the player for wanting to have fun rather than jerk off to caligae or whatever it is the grogs are into now.

im torn between what my least favorite part of the mod is, the supply system that makes it so that if you garrison an army near a city and have the wrong supply system your oppenents can literally starve you out from the other side of the province or just the stupid loving unit names. No i dont loving care whats greek for "royal armored falxman" just call it a loving falxmans

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Download a submod that changes the names to English ones? I actually like the defaults because then I can pretend I'm learning something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's actually what really annoys me about most of the big mods using (sometimes inaccurate) localization for every ancient city, it means that rather than learning the name you'd actually read in any history book or academic paper and so getting a sense for some context behind it and its location and so on through playing the mod, you just learn a bunch of names that you'll never read again and probably not be able to remember properly anyway.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Download a submod that changes the names to English ones? I actually like the defaults because then I can pretend I'm learning something.

i just being hard on it. truthfully i only messed around with it a little bit before the lack of building tables in rome 2 annoyed me, hopefully when they update it for the new mod they can change those to reflect all the new buildings and ill have more motivation to search around the submods. Maybe for one that just strips it down to the reform system and the added cultures.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At least that's only a mod thing here and the devs didn't put something stupid like, say, "Svidjob" into the base game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We are out of SVIDJOB license plates, I repeat, we are out of SVIDJOB license plates

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Any "must have" mods for Napoleon?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Everything before shogun was built into the game, aka no online encyclopedia.

Before rome 2 there were less stats and most werent that important.

Shogun 2 had much less crap to surf through compared to rome 2, so it passed. Like 40 tabs total vs rome's 1000+

Rome1/med2 didn't have morale and a bunch of other stats listed

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my favorite things from Europa Barbarorum was the random ethnic background it gave your characters so if you were playing as Carthage sometimes you'd get a "ibero-Phoenician" trait and putting your cursor over it would make a gigantic, literally, window blocking wall of text pop out.

Or how some medium cavalry unit from Persia had seven paragraphs of text in the unit description.

I'm not being sarcasting, I seriously loved reading all of it and I love how much passion someone put into the game just for the hope of someone learning something new.

DEI is kind of a EB sucessor but unfortunately it has too much content like supplies that to me are completely against Rome 2's basic game mechanics and as such I gave it a pass.

Will mods break with the new patch? It's almost garanteed right?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Any "must have" mods for Napoleon?

Not really it’s an ok game base wise. I enjoyed it with some extra smoke mods and a simple save file edit to increase the army sizes to 30 (instead of 20). The battle maps were quite large in Napoleon, I liked having enough units to fill it up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Agean90 posted:

im torn between what my least favorite part of the mod is, the supply system that makes it so that if you garrison an army near a city and have the wrong supply system your oppenents can literally starve you out from the other side of the province or just the stupid loving unit names. No i dont loving care whats greek for "royal armored falxman" just call it a loving falxmans

Are you really whining about having to learn two additional words.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you really whining about having to learn two additional words.

yes :dealwithit:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

You can deal with the two additional words.

Or be whiny, I don't particularly care which.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mans posted:

One of my favorite things from Europa Barbarorum was the random ethnic background it gave your characters so if you were playing as Carthage sometimes you'd get a "ibero-Phoenician" trait and putting your cursor over it would make a gigantic, literally, window blocking wall of text pop out.

Or how some medium cavalry unit from Persia had seven paragraphs of text in the unit description.

I'm not being sarcasting, I seriously loved reading all of it and I love how much passion someone put into the game just for the hope of someone learning something new.

DEI is kind of a EB sucessor but unfortunately it has too much content like supplies that to me are completely against Rome 2's basic game mechanics and as such I gave it a pass.

Will mods break with the new patch? It's almost garanteed right?

Probably, but total war modders are frighteningly dedicated so they'll fix it quickly.

I have a soft spot for Europa Barbarorum, the Eastern factions were my favorite, especially Amerinia. They had a stupidly well rounded roster.

Also, I'd forgotten about food buildings negatively affecting public order in Rome 2 and Attila. :negative:

It says in the loving sanitation tool tip CA! A city riots without bread! Why does a building that provides bread make a city unhappy?!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's not two words though, it's six hundred words, because all of these mods have sixty gazillion superfluous units. Also half of them are probably not even correct translations.

I actually kinda like these mods but their insistence on spergy "authenticity" is definitely not one of their selling points imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Then don't play them.

That spergyness is half the fun and if you don't like them then what if the point.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
getting to play something that's a bit different from the base game

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then don't play them.

That spergyness is half the fun and if you don't like them then what if the point.

figuring out if mods are bad requires playing them. critiquing them afterwards is fun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Agean90 posted:

figuring out if mods are bad requires playing them. critiquing them afterwards is fun

Not really, like these mods love to talk up the fact they are spergy, making it usually the centerpiece.

Playing it isn't going to magically change that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Klaus88 posted:

Also, I'd forgotten about food buildings negatively affecting public order in Rome 2 and Attila. :negative:

It says in the loving sanitation tool tip CA! A city riots without bread! Why does a building that provides bread make a city unhappy?!

Rome 2's building chains is just such a classic example of game developers building games that they don't actually play.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I was kind of hoping with the retro active tweaking they' fix those as well.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was kind of hoping with the retro active tweaking they' fix those as well.

Right? It just seems like one of those problems that literally anyone would recognize and intuitively know how to fix.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I hope they one day remake Mideival II's America's campaign

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

canyoneer posted:

4 turns per year (with seasons) is nice. Otherwise, with one turn per year your generals/agents age out and die before they can acquire decent skills

The Impaler posted:

Nothing 'must have', but as I've gotten back heavily into Rome2, I use the following, and the game is very serviceable:

Charge changes
Results in more 'meshing' in combat after charges. Probably my favourite mod, as something that I hated in Rome 2 at first is how hoplite phalanxes would charge each other at an awkward angle and only two three guys would fight, the rest of the block stopping dead. This also makes things like standing still and shield wall more important so that enemy doesnt break through easily.

Fog of war no city icons
Removes the city icons on the unexplored fog of war.

Unit building icon info
Adds mini-icons on the building icons so you can quickly see what costs food/ raises happiness, etc. I find it useful as you grow beyond 15-20 provinces to tell the state of your cities at a glance.

Unit stats extra info
Something that annoyed me was that I could not see archer range and the USELESS encyclopaedia only would have 'these guys have great range!' comment.

Campaign HD textures
Campaign Ocean HD texture
After spending so much time playing attila, Rome 2 textures are abonimable.

General graphics:
Extended battle/ campaign camera mod
More battle particles
No HDR mod

Thanks for the recs, these look good

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do Statesmen effect influence as opposed to generals?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

I hope they one day remake Mideival II's America's campaign

They did. It's called the Vortex Campaign.

(seriously though, I would love some bizzaro real history/fantasy mashup game where Cortez is traipsing through the jungle feeling loving chuffed with his guns and cannons when suddenly a giant gently caress-off dinosaur appears and laser bolts him in the face)

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 11, 2017

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I just want gunpowder again now that they've unclunked a lot of the game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Kaal posted:

Rome 2's building chains is just such a classic example of game developers building games that they don't actually play.

It kinda felt like CA was just fatigued with the total war series when Rome 2 initial came out. I mean the soul wasn't there like it was with the Warhammer series man.

They've kinda got it back with the Emperor edition though.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I re-downloaded Rome 2 in prep for the new DLC and patch and after so much time playing Warhammer it's so incredibly hard to play. Not from a technical standpoint, although I agree with most of the complaints about the game over the past couple pages, but just the variety of ways you can approach the game and what you'll see going through it. I'm sitting here playing as Rome, having conquered the pennisula with part of Carthage, and while I'm mostly enjoying it I can't help but feel like that's the game. Maybe I'll see a few more Elephants, someone will field chariots down the road I'm sure, and maybe I'll see artillery I can mostly ignore unless I'm turtling up on defense, but other than that it's done.

I'm not going to see flying units that can rampage behind me or present a constant danger of a dragon dropping on my head with all the knockback that entails. I'm not going to run into a faction that I have to approach the fight differently than others, such as Vampires in Warhammer. Every single time I see a spear wall line I'm just going to have to engage it head on and work a few units around the flank, I'll never branch out into spells/flying units/effective artillery/warhammer style chariots/dinos, or having more varied army compositions with different options (Skaven numbers, Wood Elves archers, etc...). Just all feels depressing and sucks the will to keep playing.

Actual question though, is it possible to get rid of the sweeping camera zoom in? I don't know if I just never zoomed in before I started playing Warhammer but holy hell is it so loving aggravating.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Set the game to use the classic camera setting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nessin posted:

I re-downloaded Rome 2 in prep for the new DLC and patch and after so much time playing Warhammer it's so incredibly hard to play. Not from a technical standpoint, although I agree with most of the complaints about the game over the past couple pages, but just the variety of ways you can approach the game and what you'll see going through it. I'm sitting here playing as Rome, having conquered the pennisula with part of Carthage, and while I'm mostly enjoying it I can't help but feel like that's the game. Maybe I'll see a few more Elephants, someone will field chariots down the road I'm sure, and maybe I'll see artillery I can mostly ignore unless I'm turtling up on defense, but other than that it's done.

I'm not going to see flying units that can rampage behind me or present a constant danger of a dragon dropping on my head with all the knockback that entails. I'm not going to run into a faction that I have to approach the fight differently than others, such as Vampires in Warhammer. Every single time I see a spear wall line I'm just going to have to engage it head on and work a few units around the flank, I'll never branch out into spells/flying units/effective artillery/warhammer style chariots/dinos, or having more varied army compositions with different options (Skaven numbers, Wood Elves archers, etc...). Just all feels depressing and sucks the will to keep playing

You literally described my saturday morning, except I was Egypt instead of Rome.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's gotta be one of the gooniest complaints to cry that an historical game doesn't have dragons or giants jfc.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mans posted:

It's gotta be one of the gooniest complaints to cry that an historical game doesn't have dragons or giants jfc.

Nothing nerds love more than dumb fantasy poo poo.

Sad that TW is going all in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You might not find history RTS games as entertaining as they used to me man. Or just well, like fantasy more. Peoples tastes change.