Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ouch, early reviews for Justice League (you know, the shill infinitely positive reviewers who give an A+ to everything) are all saying things like "it has it's problems but drat was it ever fun!"

This franchise is so dead.

This person works for Collider and this is the best they could do:
https://twitter.com/PNemiroff/status/929030976386228224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The consensus seems to be its characters and banter is good, but that's about it. No story, bad villain, bad effects.

I'll pass in the theaters and catch it on home video.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

hahahahahahahahahah yeah sure ok there guy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sounds just as whatever as Avengers "yeah it's good and the future looks better" well ok

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I told a mean joke and felt bad. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 10, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"You've got heart and a positive vibe" is what I tell my kid when he tries something new and fucks up real bad.

Sorry about your kid's weak CG, MJ. It must be heartbreaking to hear your child will never be photorealistic.

edit:

I told a mean joke and felt bad. :(

I liked it and won't be removing it (unless you ask me to).

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 10, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nah it's fine, it just felt a bit negative, but if at least one person likes it keep it up.

I hope Justice League is good, obviously, but this all sounds very bad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ouch, early reviews for Justice League (you know, the shill infinitely positive reviewers who give an A+ to everything) are all saying things like "it has it's problems but drat was it ever fun!"

That sounds exactly like an Avengers movie and those keep on trucking. So I don't see why all the gloom and doomsaying.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The early impressions of Batman v Superman were also good. There was actually a lot to like in that movie, and I think the early reviewers preferred to dwell on the positives.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That sounds exactly like an Avengers movie and those keep on trucking. So I don't see why all the gloom and doomsaying.

For me, I don't want JL to be exactly like an Avengers movie. I want something different. I get the appeal, but I'd rather have something different from the DCEU than more of the same stuff Marvel has been pumping out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

When the DC Cinematic Universe was still young, a WB exec took it aside and gave it a harsh dose of reality: "You're going to have to be twice as good to get half the praise."

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Marvel and DC comic books are so similar in tone because the companies share their writers and artists, so it makes sense that their movies would look the same. :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

For me, I don't want JL to be exactly like an Avengers movie. I want something different. I get the appeal, but I'd rather have something different from the DCEU than more of the same stuff Marvel has been pumping out.

Oh I completely understand you. Knowing WB has essentially folded to the pressure and decided to follow Marvel is very dissappointing.

I was just pointing out how they were making the review sound much worse than it is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My perspective: I don't care about the financial success at all. I care about getting an interesting movie. Avengers was fine, and I liked it, but I've literally never had the desire to watch it ever again. I probably won't watch the next Avengers in theaters. They are potato chips in the sense that they're prefectly fine when they're in front of me but I would never think to seek them out.

The only reason I cared about Man of Steel and Batman v Superman's box office take was because if they failed I wouldn't get any more weird Zack Snyder DCCU movies.

That's how I feel about the whole financial side of these movies. It's why I didn't care at all that Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049 under-performed, too. I loved those movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

there is 0 chance that this movie fails to take home like a billion dollars

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The only reason I cared about Man of Steel and Batman v Superman's box office take was because if they failed I wouldn't get any more weird Zack Snyder DCCU movies

Well they did fail and your not.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serf posted:

there is 0 chance that this movie fails to take home like a billion dollars

Sure, counted over 4+ months with foreign box office taken in to account.

It won't touch $350m domestically

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PriorMarcus posted:

Well they did fail and your not.

They didn't fail in any meaningful financial sense, no. That's a common misconception from people who don't like the movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sure, counted over 4+ months with foreign box office taken in to account.

It won't touch $350m domestically

right, i figure they've already charted these things out years in advance. they're gonna make tons of these movies because they just can't fail

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Batman and Superman have both been in movies that bombed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Batman and Superman need to just become public domain already.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurzon posted:

The Marvel and DC comic books are so similar in tone because the companies share their writers and artists, so it makes sense that their movies would look the same. :shrug:

I've always thought the companies felt completely different, and were telling largely different kinds of stories

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman and Superman need to just become public domain already.

Mickey Mouse first.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Burkion posted:

Mickey Mouse first.

Heat death of the universe + thirty five years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Happy premieres next month.

Oh poo poo I forgot about that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Positive vibes? Who gives a poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jose Oquendo posted:

Happy premieres next month.

Finally the Happy Hogan standalone film!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Positive vibes? Who gives a poo poo.

It's got heart will be my new go-to review line.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Man, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they started taking things out of the public domain. :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hilarious that a Grant Morrison knockoff is getting an adaptation before basically any Grant Morrison comic.

Makes sense, only the surface weirdness on a fairly standard story.

Gerard Way's story cracks me up, like, he started out wanting to write comics, 9/11 happened and he decided "Life is too short" so he put on skinny jeans and wrote songs about vampires instead.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's got heart will be my new go-to review line.

Thor Ragnarok's got moxie!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Film's got pluck. It's unorthodox, but I think we should appoint it Captain of the Enterprise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

teagone posted:

For what it's worth the early previews don't look half as good as any Avengers movie, whatever one chooses to think of those.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They didn't fail in any meaningful financial sense, no. That's a common misconception from people who don't like the movies.

Well you're certainly not getting any more Snyder DCCU films are you?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

according to who?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Batman and Superman have both been in movies that bombed.

when

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Prior. You're smarter than this.

Snyder has been making comic book movies for eleven goddamn years. 300 came out in 2006.

The man just had a horrific personal tragedy occur in his family and has taken a break in general.

Be better than this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Let's break this down. Dude said he cared about box offices for MoS and BvS because if they failed he wouldn't get more Snyder DCCU movies. After MoS he got BvS. After BvS he got JL.

And if he leaves after 3 movies thats been pretty much the ceiling for most super hero movie directors, unless the Russos keep going forever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

Let's break this down. Dude said he cared about box offices for MoS and BvS because if they failed he wouldn't get more Snyder DCCU movies. After MoS he got BvS. After BvS he got JL.

And if he leaves after 3 movies thats been pretty much the ceiling for most super hero movie directors, unless the Russos keep going forever

Also again, this is Snyder's fifth? Sixth? Comic book movie he personally directed in eleven years.

That is insane.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PriorMarcus posted:

His daughter died and it hosed him up. He even said "it hosed me up and I don't care about this movie anymore."

Superman 4. Batman and Robin (a bit of a stretch to call it a "bomb" but it underperformed so badly that it iced the franchise for 9 years (pun intended))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Superman 4. Batman and Robin (a bit of a stretch to call it a "bomb" but it underperformed so badly that it iced the franchise for 9 years (pun intended))

drat both those movies rule tho

• Locked thread