Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

American toilets work differently to European or Australian toilets and are much more likely to clog, it’s not just that either Americans are weirdly obsessed with the idea that everyone should own a plunger or I am absurdly lucky to have never encountered a clogged toilet in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think Americans just eat really lovely food that turns their poop into literal logs.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

I think Americans just eat really lovely food that turns their poop into literal logs.

Probably, but the toilets don’t help:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6pymOet7g

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Organza Quiz posted:

Probably, but the toilets don’t help:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6pymOet7g

I wasn't sure if I wanted to click a toilet youtube, but I did & holy poo poo do American water traps really snake like that :pwn:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

I wasn't sure if I wanted to click a toilet youtube, but I did & holy poo poo do American water traps really snake like that :pwn:

American toilets have a higher water line so you don't have to keep a poo poo brush next to it all the time.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

American toilets have a higher water line so you don't have to keep a poo poo brush next to it all the time.
it's actually lower, the bowl being higher up doesn't make the waterline higher

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The water line is higher in addition to the higher bowl.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fyi ive pooped in american toilets several times

the water line is slightly higher, but i dont think it helps. if anything, it makes splashback more likely

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Hmm which would a normal adult human being prefer, brushing your toilet on occasion or having to unclog a literal mass of poo poo even once in their lives :thunk: Personally I choose the brush over the plunger :shrug:

(Also if you eat unamericanly, your poo poo doesn't spray everywhere and stick to the walls so you don't need to use the brush very often.)

Asinine Tails
Aug 11, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

Until reading this very thread a few years back, I thought there there existed in English the verb "to misle"

Apparently I had been misled.

:same:

I think that one's come up in this thread a bunch, along with segue. Add me to the list of people who thought that a "seeg" was different from a "segway" and did not realize that the Segway was not the real word's spelling.

Also thought that "fiery" in books was pronounced "feary" and that "fiery" said out loud was firey.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hmm which would a normal adult human being prefer, brushing your toilet on occasion or having to unclog a literal mass of poo poo even once in their lives :thunk: Personally I choose the brush over the plunger :shrug:

(Also if you eat unamericanly, your poo poo doesn't spray everywhere and stick to the walls so you don't need to use the brush very often.)

From the way Americans talk about their poo poo, I can only assume they're all deathly allergic to fibre.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The most common cause of all toilet and plumbing issues, in every country, is paper products and not waste.

"Flushable" wipes, facial tissues, hair combings, etc.

American toilets are fine and that snake you're all amazed by serves a multitude of purposes for both safety and efficiency and is rarely ever a cause for clogs (which usually occur in the waste pipe, which are older, straighter, made of cast iron or PVC, and contain more years' of build-up).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's basically goons whove got severe gut problems

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Asinine Tails posted:

Also thought that "fiery" in books was pronounced "feary"

Reverend Bizarre’s vocalist pronounced it this way in the song “Cirith Ungol” and for years I was convinced it was some bizarre Finnglish attempt to express “afraid”.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ferrule posted:

"Flushable" wipes, facial tissues, hair combings, etc.

I've never pooped any of those.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've never pooped any of those.

jerry, they're american. they poop whatever they want...

i assume that you as a finn have only flushed empty vodka bottles & spent knives

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

i assume that you as a finn have only flushed empty vodka bottles & spent knives

once again I feel as though I was born in the wrong country

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't know what this is :confused:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
We've come this far and not a single person has commented on the orientation of the toilet paper in the video?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pastry of the Year posted:

once again I feel as though I was born in the wrong country

just look for yourself here and youll know forever

http://per-looks.tumblr.com

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

just look for yourself here and youll know forever

http://per-looks.tumblr.com

my god I want to buy armor and torches from like half these people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know what this is :confused:

its when you piss in the hole so it hides the turd

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

my god I want to buy armor and torches from like half these people

Kauf nicht bei Nazis

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SICBIJFO: Never Bing Image Search guarana fruit.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bewilderment posted:

Well, better late...
I didn't like this joke the first time, because for me "lever" doesn't rhyme with "never", it rhymes with "beaver".

Wait, Caroma is an Australian brand? Holy poo poo! (no pun intended).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

SICBIJFO: Never Bing Image Search guarana fruit.

Why not? I just tried it and all I got was pictures of guarana fruit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why not? I just tried it and all I got was pictures of guarana fruit.

Yeah but they creepy man.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

For the last couple of months Ive been dating this girl with tattoo'd eyebrows. Im really not a fan of it but she is cool and getting them lasered off so its not a dealbreaker for me. I assumed that she got them tattoo'd when she had her 'goth phase' and lets face it, we've all done dumb poo poo as teenagers.

Yesterday I found out that she actually lost her eyebrows because she was hit in the head by a pigs head that was on fire at a metal concert years ago.

:black101: as gently caress!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but they creepy man.

You have no idea how happy this post made me!

I saw this fruit on a nature program years and years ago and I never knew the name, so I could never find them afterwards to show people the hilarious fruit that look like old-timey cartoon eyes.

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Asinine Tails posted:

:same:

I think that one's come up in this thread a bunch, along with segue. Add me to the list of people who thought that a "seeg" was different from a "segway" and did not realize that the Segway was not the real word's spelling.

Yeah, I went with "segg" as a pronunciation and thought everyone else was an idiot because I didn't realise that segue is Italian and not French.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pookah posted:

You have no idea how happy this post made me!

I saw this fruit on a nature program years and years ago and I never knew the name, so I could never find them afterwards to show people the hilarious fruit that look like old-timey cartoon eyes.

It's a Christmas Miracle!

the saddest yoshi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cindy Shitbird posted:

the saddest yoshi

:laffo:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Didn't just happen, but I've recently learned that the game/brand Puyo Puyo is still an exant thing, or something actually marketed in the US. I only know about it because one of their older games became Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
For some reason I was reading about old mainframe computers on Wikipedia, turns out IBM is still making modern big iron.

Wait, what? Who, in TYOOL 2017, needs a central computer that is shared between multiple terminals? Use a fuckin' LAN, you dinosaurs!

Oh. Oooohhhhhh.

Internet servers are basically the same thing as the old big iron, aren't they?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
~~To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day~~

So that'll be stuck in my head for a few hours, thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

For some reason I was reading about old mainframe computers on Wikipedia, turns out IBM is still making modern big iron.

Wait, what? Who, in TYOOL 2017, needs a central computer that is shared between multiple terminals? Use a fuckin' LAN, you dinosaurs!

Oh. Oooohhhhhh.

Internet servers are basically the same thing as the old big iron, aren't they?

No, they are not. I mean, you *can* run web servers off a mainframe LPAR, but that's like driving a Bugatti around the block to pick up some chips. Mainframes are completely different kind of beast. They may be dinosaurs, but they're dinosaurs that are far from extinct and keep evolving. They are still at the top of the food chain for financial transactions and real-time numerical analysis.

Mainframes are really, really good at crunching numbers and they are mind-numbingly fast. IBM's z13 can process 2.5 billion transactions a day. It can also provide real-time analysis of the transactions flying through it, which are good at catching fraud. You know how sometimes you get a call from Chase or Citibank asking if a purchase you just made minutes ago was valid? That was a mainframe that saw the transaction didn't match the usual spending patterns, put a temporary hold on the transaction, and then fired off a message with the details to another one that queued the information up to auto-call your primary contact number.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Nov 13, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyone who actually needs to get things done without fail uses big iron.

e: Emphasis on the "without fail" actually because they are hell of reliable. I don't have actual numbers but if you imagine having a system with 99,9% uptime and then you have something with 99,92% uptime, the difference in practice is huge if you have a million transactions going through it every minute.

VVV What he said.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Nov 13, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyone who actually needs to get things done without fail uses big iron.

Imagine a plane of 9s, stretching to the horizon in every direction. That's your uptime.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ravenfood posted:

~~To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day~~

So that'll be stuck in my head for a few hours, thanks.

:clint::hf::clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

I was like: where the gently caress have I heard this before? It’s going to drive me nuts.

…I just got done playing New Vegas for like two hours. I think my mind is good and truly on its way out.