Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

All I know is that I'd be heartbroken if it turned out Tom Waits has any metaphorical skeletons in his closet. He probably has a few literal ones though, and that's fine

he is not a man of the ocean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s33S89J-_ng&t=624s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Jim Carrey seems like a pretty different sort of case. Like 100% it all might be real and after the trial if it is everyone should be outraged but it's a different sort of case than the other recent accusations.

Like it's not a case of a woman speaking out about her own thing like a lot of the other ones. This thing is the separated husband of the woman he was loving with a bunch of stories about how abusive he was. And like, maybe that is true, if the trial goes through and Carrey is guilty then gently caress jim carrey. But at the same time there is more of an incentive to lie for the guy that is getting publically cucked by jim carrey about if jim carrey is good or bad.

Like unless I am wrong I don't think the woman herself expressed any sort of opinion he was being abusive. And maybe he legitimately does have real testimony that he was. But it also seems more possible he is just saying things to get revenge or money or something compared to the times people say that about women and their own statements.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

Everyone has a vice. We just haven't found his yet.

I was going to say that being friends with Victoria Jackson could be it but upon looking into it it looks like they, rather understandably, are no longer friends.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trump Thread II: My Rights Under the Establishment Clause of the First Commandment

poo poo, with his helping ISIS by loving over the Kurds for Turkey I keep forgetting about his involvement in planning to kidnap a US citizen(or just a refugee/asylum seeker) to deliver them to a country whose government would proceed to torture and murder them.

I'm hopeful but not certain in Flynn being hosed. Patreaus was caught dead to rights on leaking classified information and Holder refused to prosecute him. The idea that Sessions is more willing to go after Flynn than Holder was for Patreaus is... unlikely. Hopefully Mueller called up Flynn and said "we can easily put you and your son away for the rest of your lives. Start singing and your son might be spared if you actually prove helpful."

Your Taint posted:

I know the term is over used, but taking a bribe from a foreign govt to do something like that is LITERALLY treason, right?

In and of itself, no.

His taking money from Turkey to sabotage US assistance for the Kurds, which directly helped ISIS? That is actual treason. That Turkey isn't a US enemy doesn't matter when his action were directly assistance an entity the US is at war with.

We have no law to fit the GOP's crimes.

https://twitter.com/InfoSecAdrian/status/929011475875803136

CascadeBeta posted:

Roy Moore isn't Trump. He doesn't have that same cult of personality.

In Alabama he absolutely does. You're talking about the guy who has been removed from the bench for misconduct and the people happily voted him back on because he's crazy even by evangelical standards.

gently caress.

Congrats to senator Roy Moore. :sigh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dont even fink about it posted:

That's such a bizarre qualifier.

its responding to someone's odd claim that nevertrumpers were working below the radar to elect jones

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Fluffy posted:

We have no law to fit the GOP's crimes.

Crimes against humanity?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I hate people who violate flag code.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

enraged_camel posted:

Everyone has a vice. We just haven't found his yet.

I have it on good authority that Weird Al is Addicted to Spuds

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to see some man on the street interviews about moore, from republicans. I don't know why, really, I guess I just have an urge to watch republicans vehemently defend a child molester as if he is literally jesus christ himself.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Speaking of budding Death Cults (of Personality), most of my co-workers (IT/ Software Development/DBAs and such) seem to have a man-crush on Jordan Peterson, and I don't get it. Dude has the appeal of spoiled milk.

It's not that surprising tbh, he's basically a YouTube "rational" with a degree. He rants about identity politics and thinks "western culture" was better when white men's place at the top of society was unchallenged. In addition to being wrong about basically everything, he's also scum:
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/928981541849522176

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I wonder what the response would be if it was teen boys.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's depressing that the Democrats can't win against a group of people who worship anti-american groups (Nazis and the Confeseracy), are for Sexual assault of Women and Minors, willing take foreign bribe money in ways that hurt the US, and do everything they can to disprove stuff the rest of the world has agreed to (Climate change).

That's basically a detatchment from reality so severe I don't even know how you start to get them to come back.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anora posted:

It's depressing that the Democrats can't win against a group of people who worship anti-american groups (Nazis and the Confeseracy), are for Sexual assault of Women and Minors, willing take foreign bribe money in ways that hurt the US, and do everything they can to disprove stuff the rest of the world has agreed to (Climate change).

That's basically a detatchment from reality so severe I don't even know how you start to get them to come back.

It’s not depressing if you think of it in terms of America going through basically a culture war. All of these things are secondary to people whose most important priority is that they want the future of America to look a certain way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Anora posted:

Did moore win the election? They haven't even had the election yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DarklyDreaming posted:

Immunity to criticism. I would imagine most of your co-workers think "gently caress you I'm a tech genius" is a valid argument against everything, and his entire public persona is "gently caress you I'm a professor"
Concerning Peterson's "public persona": That's loving pathetic and unexpectedly hilarious. WRT my co-workers, most of them are their own people and aside from the Peterson worship + one of them being REALLY into doofy MMORPG's, they're alright. I kinda miss my previous workplace, though: They are the reason I got into Dungeons and Dragons.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Wark Say posted:

Speaking of budding Death Cults (of Personality), most of my co-workers (IT/ Software Development/DBAs and such) seem to have a man-crush on Jordan Peterson, and I don't get it. Dude has the appeal of spoiled milk.

https://twitter.com/moebius_strip/status/926514265489412096

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
God, can people stop the covok-ing? This is a win-win situation.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Anora posted:

:killing:

In twenty years, the electorate will be much different. Hopefully for the better.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Your Taint posted:

Bruce Almighty was his last good movie. Everything he's done after that is garbage.

That's a funny way of spelling Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So apparently the far-right media folks are doxxing Moore's accusers and posting the info on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/929038138093330434

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair, nobody has accused him of rape. All the stories from underage girls say he took them home when they asked. He's merely accused of sexual contact with a minor, which of course is indefensible in itself.

People will quibble on this point and use it to escape serious thought so it's worth being accurate.

This is from a few pages back but isn't any kind of sexual relations with a minor considered rape? As in statutory rape?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

enraged_camel posted:

The real question I've been asking myself is

Why do dogs always poop around the same spot?

You should go ask your lawyer dog.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Serfer posted:

That's a funny way of spelling Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

That's a funny way of spelling The Mask.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

So apparently the far-right media folks are doxxing Moore's accusers and posting the info on Twitter:

Not just any Trump supporter but Jack Posobiec, the pizzagate guy who's also Twitter verified

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Anora posted:

"They may be a bunch of corrupt pedophiles, but by gum they STAND for the National Anthem!"

Conservatives can be good people individually, but the minute the light of Fox News peaks out from behind the clouds they become monsters and scour the moors hunting all that is good and decent in the world.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aware of dog posted:

It's not that surprising tbh, he's basically a YouTube "rational" with a degree. He rants about identity politics and thinks "western culture" was better when white men's place at the top of society was unchallenged. In addition to being wrong about basically everything, he's also scum:
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/928981541849522176

There is no :rolleyes::fh: combo big enough.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Charliegrs posted:

This is from a few pages back but isn't any kind of sexual relations with a minor considered rape? As in statutory rape?

gonna depend on state law, I think

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

aware of dog posted:

Not just any Trump supporter but Jack Posobiec, the pizzagate guy who's also Twitter verified

I am astounded that the man who faked a "Rape Melania" sign would do this.

THIS FUCKING GUY
Apr 26, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

In Alabama he absolutely does. You're talking about the guy who has been removed from the bench for misconduct and the people happily voted him back on because he's crazy even by evangelical standards.

he won his comeback election 52-48 over his D opponent while Romney was carrying Alabama 61-38 which, while still p sad/embarrassing for the Yellowhammer State electorate, means that for all he's worshiped by his fellow birthers and bigots in his party's base, he's still the most toxic Republican in the state at large

which doesn't mean he won't win, but it does mean he's literally the only one in his party who conceivably might not

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

aware of dog posted:

Do people think the tech dudebros and assholes who run Twitter aren't Trump supporters? Even the few who claim to be against him are far more against kicking off people who bring traffic to their tech bubble company.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Daily/hourly reminder that Twitter is complete dogshit and people should stop using it

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

aware of dog posted:

He deleted the tweet, and now he's whining that actually it was someone else who did the doxxing, he was merely retweeting (and amplifying) it :jerkbag:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why haven't people moved to Tumblr or something else? It's not like it's that hard to adjust to another platform. Is Tumblr also run by shitheads?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

RevKrule posted:

You should go ask your lawyer dog.

That story is actually people being willfully obtuse about a smarmy concurrence on an otherwise pretty easy case. Invocations of your rights are required to be clear and unambiguous. Here'] what the guy said:

quote:

If y'all, this is how I feel, if y'all think I did it, I know that I didn't do it so why don't you just give me a lawyer dog cause this is not what's up.

Whether or not the suspect invoked in this case is dependent on a condition that is unknownable to the suspect. That's ambiguous as hell. The concurrence (which is just one judge) echoes the majority reasoning and doesn't have any force of law by itself. If you were arrested in Louisiana tomorrow and said "I want a lawyer, dog" the exact same court would suppress a subsequent confession if you weren't provided a lawyer.

The judge is attempting to dunk on a convict and that seems rather lovely, but that's about it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 10, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

IUG posted:

Why haven't people moved to Tumblr or something else? It's not like it's that hard to adjust to another platform. Is Tumblr also run by shitheads?

Twitter has always positioned itself for commercial use, while Tumblr is a giant pile of whatever.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

IUG posted:

Tumblr is owned by Verizon.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Twitter has always positioned itself for commercial use, while Tumblr is a giant pile of whatever.

They (or any other platform other than Facebook) need to retool and start advertising. I imagine some other company with a big enough push could steal off users easily from Twitter at this point.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Tumblr is owned by Verizon.

Ugh.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

IUG posted:

If you think that Tumblr is a bastion of some sort, you'd be set up for maximum disappointment the moment it gets anywhere near as relevant to as many people as Twitter currently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

IUG posted:

As bad as all the features on Twitter perform, tumblr is about a million times worse.

Also the lack of character limit makes it have a radically different culture.

• Locked thread