Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Electric Phantasm posted:

Say hypothetically Moore loses does Alabama start turning their back on him like when the guy from Virginia lost or do they start a petition for recall?

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Say hypothetically Moore loses does Alabama start turning their back on him like when the guy from Virginia lost or do they start a petition for recall?

The later.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I highly recommend this tool for making blog posts out of threads: https://tinysubversions.com/spooler

Use the tool to create the blog post, screenshot it, upload it to an image hosting site, and then post it here. Don't forget to use the [ timg ] tag instead of [ img ] if the image is large

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RottenK posted:

Conservatives are bad people, Jim.

I'd like to think some are good people. I have no loving idea who or where they are but I'd like to hope they're out there. :ohdear:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody has that kinda success level unless they're extremely rich or extremely famous. I don't care how good looking you are lol

i can believe it, the 70's were a different time in terms of sexual relations as well as social interaction. people went out more back then because there wasn't a nice cozy internet to keep you busy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody has that kinda success level unless they're extremely rich or extremely famous. I don't care how good looking you are lol

now, yeah.

70's were a wild time.

I get the disbelief but the folks I've talked to at least believe they're telling the truth. They might be mistaken or mis-counting but they aren't lying.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i never understand these numbers because i haven't even met that many people i'd want to gently caress.

Alcohol and drugs lowers the bar on who you want to gently caress.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'd like to think some are good people. I have no loving idea who or where they are but I'd like to hope they're out there. :ohdear:

Literally "And some, I assume are good people." Only this time the assumption might actually be unfounded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Why Are Conservatives More Susceptible to Believing Lies?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/11/why_conservatives_are_more_susceptible_to_believing_in_lies.html

quote:

As one Tea Party member told University of California sociologist Arlie Hochschild, “People think we are not good people if we don’t feel sorry for blacks and immigrants and Syrian refugees. But I am a good person and I don’t feel sorry for them.”

lol how can these people be so delusional.

cochise posted:

Alcohol and drugs lowers the bar on who you want to gently caress.

never happened to me. just makes me wanna gently caress the same people i do sober more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

get the disbelief but the folks I've talked to at least believe they're telling the truth. They might be mistaken or mis-counting but they aren't lying.
that's what I'm accusing them of, self-overestimation. Fishermen also catch a hell of a lot of big fish, but that doesn't mean it doesn't grow during the retelling.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

My dude, you are really sheltered.

It's not even a new idea. One of mozart's most famous operas featured a character with a sexual score in this range, even. People be fuckin' and they always been fuckin'

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 10, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

You can not recall a US Senator or Representative. Recalls are a thing only at the state level in some states. The only way to get rid of a sitting US MoC in the middle of their term is through expulsion, resignation, or death.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 10, 2017

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

he allegedly diddled kids. you and i and millions of other americans accept these allegations at face value because we have no reason to disbelieve his accusers and because his behavior seems plausible. but there's enough space there for people to dismiss these allegations, because he hasn't been (and won't be) convicted before the election

just remember that if he gets elected, the people of alabama didn't elect a child predator, they elected an alleged child predator, which is still bad enough while being accurate

this is a slow burning down of the gop brand. Im less interested in trying to rehabilitate current republicans. my own efforts to un crazy my entire family and friends(ohio and arizona) have completely failed. any progress made us undone by fox and facebook

Im more interested in younger generations reading how disgusting the gop is turning blue before they start voting.

Im especially encouraged by the young turnout in virginia. once they start voting we got them.

this is why im a big proponnent of keeping the moral high ground. i dont want the democrats to stopp to gop level of political shenanigans. stay pure and we will win in the long run

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I highly recommend this tool for making blog posts out of threads: https://tinysubversions.com/spooler

Use the tool to create the blog post, screenshot it, upload it to an image hosting site, and then post it here. Don't forget to use the [ timg ] tag instead of [ img ] if the image is large

Is "helpmeet" an actual term those people use to describe girls or is it just a horrifying typo?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

IUG posted:

Why haven't people moved to Tumblr or something else? It's not like it's that hard to adjust to another platform. Is Tumblr also run by shitheads?

Tumblr does not ban nazis or open pedophiles.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Squinty posted:

Is "helpmeet" an actual term those people use to describe girls or is it just a horrifying typo?

It refers to how Eve is referenced in Genesis - she's created to complete Adam, and the term in older translations is "helpmeet". It's got some anti-feminist tinge to it but it's not really creepy per se, just super patriarichal.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Squinty posted:

Yes, it is.
http://timewarpwife.com/honor-becoming-help-meet-carlie-k/
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/created-to-be-his-help-meet

Ad nauseam.

Edit: Yeah, pretty much what theflyingorc said.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Squinty posted:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/helpmeet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Squinty posted:

It's just a weird biblical term for a "good match"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Squinty posted:

It's real. I went to an evangelical school and that's how women's roles were described as per our specific reading of the Bible.

Eve was created to be a helpmeet to Adam; therefore,

Edit: goddamn we got a bunch of evangelical nerds up in here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

My dude, you are really sheltered.

It's not even a new idea. One of mozart's most famous operas featured a character with a sexual score in this range, even. People be fuckin' and they always been fuckin'

Is it more than one Mozart or are we both thinking about Don Giovanni?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

dbukalski posted:

this is a slow burning down of the gop brand. Im less interested in trying to rehabilitate current republicans. my own efforts to un crazy my entire family and friends(ohio and arizona) have completely failed. any progress made us undone by fox and facebook

Me too, me too. Kentucky.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's just a weird biblical term for a "good match"

I don't think that's a great description - the wording specifically is trying to invoke the "real work" of life being done by the man, and a woman playing the supporting role. The term is drenched in gender role stuff, you'd never say a man was his wife's helpmeet.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Squinty posted:

a quick goole search seems to indicate it was supposed to be healpmate, which google defines as

quote:

help·mate
ˈhelpˌmāt/Submit
noun
noun: helpmeet
a helpful companion or partner, especially one's husband or wife.
synonyms: helper, assistant, attendant;

:stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squinty posted:

it's more-or-less a biblical term and is only horrible in the sense that most strongly gendered things in Christianity are horrible

which is to say its original use is from the creation of Eve and its etymology is pretty interesting and, erm, not as dreadful as the way modern evangelicals like to use it ("the sole purpose of women is to assist men")

edit: modern conservative evangelicals

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think that's a great description - the wording specifically is trying to invoke the "real work" of life being done by the man, and a woman playing the supporting role. The term is drenched in gender role stuff, you'd never say a man was his wife's helpmeet.

I mean, this is true, but the connotation has become that much more warped because of the lovely theology of the people who tend to use the word most often.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 10, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Attitudes toward drunk driving were much more cavalier so everyone got pretty drunk and drove to each other's place. It wasn't "oh we're going to have 2 drinks in 2 hours and text tomorrow"

Edit:. Even my boring rear end parents were like "yeah we had no idea how bad it was, if you were really drunk cops made you pour out your booze and gave you a ride home"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah my brother's a turbonerd. Not him, his friends.

I've gotten the numbers from different people over multiple conversations over different years, in contexts where they'd have no incentive to lie or exaggerate. Basically they got that estimate by doing the math of

"Well, I went out the bars almost every night for three to five years in the seventies, every night I hooked up with a different random person, 360 x 5 == lots".

Translation: "On a good week I hooked up with a different random person every night." It's the same math that contractors use to brag about their annual income (one time, three years ago, I made $120k in 3 months of work, so I can honestly say I make half a million dollars a year :c00l:)

Still, it's a lot of fuckin' loving any way you slice it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

theflyingorc posted:

Actually I've heard it used in nongendered contexts, often as a synonym for a personal assistant. But yeah it's not really a term worth using given the patriarchal religious background.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Squinty posted:

It is an actual, literal term in The Bible, noted handbook for how to live a life if you hate yourself, used often throughout the book when telling men to tell women they are the reason God hates people and everything bad happens.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theflyingorc posted:

That's true but afaik there is the also degrees of making sure the two are actually going to be good for each other and won't tear the marriage apart in two years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Attitudes toward drunk driving were much more cavalier so everyone got pretty drunk and drove to each other's place. It wasn't "oh we're going to have 2 drinks in 2 hours and text tomorrow"

Edit:. Even my boring rear end parents were like "yeah we had no idea how bad it was, if you were really drunk cops made you pour out your booze and gave you a ride home"

that's weird to me because if you're drunk you can tell you shouldn't be piloting a multiton vehicle.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

It's almost like attitudes towards certain things change over time...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theflyingorc posted:

that's what I'm accusing them of, self-overestimation. Fishermen also catch a hell of a lot of big fish, but that doesn't mean it doesn't grow during the retelling.

Straight White Shark posted:

Translation: "On a good week I hooked up with a different random person every night." It's the same math that contractors use to brag about their annual income (one time, three years ago, I made $120k in 3 months of work, so I can honestly say I make half a million dollars a year :c00l:)

Still, it's a lot of fuckin' loving any way you slice it.

Yeah, that's fair. Even so though it illustrates the scale of the fuckin' goin on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cant recall a federal senator

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It is an actual, literal term in The Bible, noted handbook for how to live a life if you hate yourself, used often throughout the book when telling men to tell women they are the reason God hates people and everything bad happens.

The word isn't even in the book itself, actually, I just checked. It derives from some specific interpretations of the Adam and Eve story, but it's not in there.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Mueller's investigation will never end. Every time he turns over a stone he finds dozens of politicians scurrying out from the dirt.

I've seen this movie. Some random rear end in a top hat with a rifle is going to kill Mueller and the guy who takes over will botch the whole thing and the investigation will run into the sand.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

The word isn't even in the book itself, actually, I just checked. It derives from some specific interpretations of the Adam and Eve story, but it's not in there.

It comes from the King James version's description of Eve. It's an archaic usage of "meet" to mean good or useful. You occasionally hear the expression "meet and proper" these days.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's weird to me because if you're drunk you can tell you shouldn't be piloting a multiton vehicle.

the 70's were a different time. another uncle of mine would get stopped by the police, they'd confiscate his beer, and order him to (still drunk) drive directly home. he would often drive home from the bar and wake up in some farmer's field, completely out of gas because the car was running all night while he was passed out. a lot of the MADD backlash against drunk driving was because of how utterly cavalierly it was regarded by society just a few decades ago

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

biracial bear for uncut posted:

it's used exactly once (admittedly had to check :v: ) and the pre-English connotation is, let's say, not even remotely like you're representing it

(albeit still problematic in the sense of "oh goody, Old Testament gendered language, this'll end well")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
If you're a conservative Christian using the word helpmeet, the context is that a women is a man's domestic helper and has little to no power outside the home or within the family. Regardless of what the word means literally, it's a patriarchal term in those circles; and, frankly, I can't remember ever hearing the word outside of that realm. Source: I spent 18 years in this world.

• Locked thread