Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Uplifting and enlightening are terribly confusing and I see people asking about this all the time. I wish they would just wrap the two up into one mechanic that is more easily understood.

Well it is two different things, pre sentients are basically animals, whereas primitives have a civilization it's just poo poo.

So pre sentients aren't really relevant other than as tile objects or as a species, which is how you interact with them, whereas primitives own the planet so you interact with them on the planetary scale as a minor civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nitrousoxide posted:

Uplifting and enlightening are terribly confusing and I see people asking about this all the time. I wish they would just wrap the two up into one mechanic that is more easily understood.
They're pretty straightforward and distinct both thematically and mechanically. The confusion is that some well meaning people have a weird blind spot where they think uplifting means enlightening and confuse things by responding to uplift questions with enlightenment answers or "correct" advice from one with the other.

e: this sounds way more mean spirited than is intended

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 10, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really have no loving idea why uplifting pre-sapients isn't an observation station mission.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This one planet build is crazy powerful if you can survive until 2250 or so.

That’s when I had the tech and money to start churning out fleet in addition to expanding and mining stations.

It’s now 2287 and I’ve subjugated my five closest neighbors, completed my Science Nexus, and am working on a Dyson Sphere.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ConfusedUs posted:

That’s when I had the tech and money to start churning out fleet in addition to expanding and mining stations.

It’s now 2287 and I’ve subjugated my five closest neighbors, completed my Science Nexus, and am working on a Dyson Sphere.

wait how do you get fleet size? is the perk enough?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

To clarify, these were pre-sentient species with no option for observation post. (I have two of those elsewhere).

I just found them on a survey/anomaly, and when I checked the species in the Species list, there was an uplift button. Click it, wait a while, boom.

Oh so you released them as vassals afterwards? Are you running feudal realm?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

wait how do you get fleet size? is the perk enough?

The perk puts you Superior to everyone when you get it (it's your second or third one), then repeatable techs keep you ahead of the curve for a while.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Staltran posted:

Oh so you released them as vassals afterwards? Are you running feudal realm?

Not feudal. Just released as vassal. You can release any planet from the Planet Summary screen.

For one of them (who was at the edge of my territory) I then went to war with the fanatic purifiers next door and had them cede half their territory to my vassal. :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

I really have no loving idea why uplifting pre-sapients isn't an observation station mission.

Because your civ doesn't want to fund an entire station just to observe some animals

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fortifying important planets with defensive armies can buy time if you are playing whack-a-mole with enemy fleets inside your borders.

Bringing extra armies to garrison conquered worlds is useful for the same reason. The AI loves to fart out small harassing fleets to retake captured worlds.

Either way, you won't need much of a standing army until the midgame where fleets have to cover a lot more ground.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Well it is two different things, pre sentients are basically animals, whereas primitives have a civilization it's just poo poo.

To quote the best voice pack “We took animals and made them people!”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ConfusedUs posted:

What'd you do for a one planet build? I've done a 3 planet one before, but never a 1 planet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

What'd you do for a one planet build? I've done a 3 planet one before, but never a 1 planet.

I got the idea from this reddit thread, which links to a full guide on steamcommunity:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/76k7cv/the_one_planet_strategy/

However, I haven't been following the guide slavishly. I basically did what it suggested to start the game, then kinda went off on my own.

The goal is:
a) Expand (with Frontier stations) at every opportunity until you run out of galaxy. (I'm at 22 or 23, and there are no good remaining places to put them). Focus on civics that help you with that. Fill up your territory with Energy mines > Research stations > Mineral mines, in that order. You'll be hurting for energy if you don't.
b) On your planet, buildings should focus on Unity, Energy Production, and then Research (in that order). If you get a building from research that gives a unity bonus, put it on your planet immediately, even if you have to replace something else.
c) Do everything in your power to not get attacked in the first 50 years. Give away anything and everything to make friends. Get into as many NAPs and Defense Pacts as possible. If you do get declared on, white peace or even surrender some outposts ASAP.

As soon as your enemies hit that Inferior mark in fleet power, start annexing them. Feel free to give a few planets to your allies if they join you in the war.

It's not hard to win when you have 5-10 battleships with arc emitters (along with whatever other ships) rolling up on a couple cruisers with corvettes. Vassalize if you can, but you'll be so far ahead in tech you'll probably have to make them a protectorate instead.

The only thing I wish I'd done differently was starting to build armies sooner. It takes FOREVER to build up an invasion force on one planet.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah the build is amazing once you've got enough tech and galactic force projection. Only having a single planet to defend makes war super easy since the ai won't prioritize attacking frontier outposts.

Only downside is that a single starport takes forever to build a fleet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah the build is amazing once you've got enough tech and galactic force projection. Only having a single planet to defend makes war super easy since the ai won't prioritize attacking frontier outposts.

Depending on how tech research and unity costs scale with the upcoming patch, this could be even better since the number of planets won't be your limit to the the number of starbases.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah. You absolutely cannot afford to lose your fleet. My mouse cursor is constantly over that RETREAT button during fights.

I lost like 5k to the Dimensional Horror and noped out of there ASAP. Didn't lose anything to the Enigmatic Fortress, though.

I know the automated dreadnought is in my territory somewhere, but I can't remember where. Anyone know of a good way to search for that?

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Had some luck going full on army buffs on my Devouring Swarm game. AI has sent 3 failed invasions on my home world while I build up a bigger fleet slowly on another planet to take him out.

Boots (or claws) on the ground matter y'all!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. You absolutely cannot afford to lose your fleet. My mouse cursor is constantly over that RETREAT button during fights.

I lost like 5k to the Dimensional Horror and noped out of there ASAP. Didn't lose anything to the Enigmatic Fortress, though.

I know the automated dreadnought is in my territory somewhere, but I can't remember where. Anyone know of a good way to search for that?

shouldnt there be a red ! somewhere?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If it is still alive it should also be guarding one, possibly two, uncolonized worlds.

If you as a curator enclave about unknown menaces they may be able to point you to it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think I finally understand game development now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The pre-sentients aren't on my species screen, and anyway I think there's a tech I need that I haven't researched yet.

I appreciate the army info. At least I didn't put much effort into them.

One additional thing is that I decided that I would make a new fleet that would stay at my colonized world the way I leave the original fleet parked at Sol, but each new ship I build there automatically flies to Sol! I was unable to figure out what mechanism was responsible for this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rally points. They'll be listed in the outliner.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a link to the one planet guide? I always play super wide with no thought to tall, and am interested in playing tall to gently caress over my unsuspecting "teammates" in my next swarm mp game.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

McGiggins posted:

Is there a link to the one planet guide? I always play super wide with no thought to tall, and am interested in playing tall to gently caress over my unsuspecting "teammates" in my next swarm mp game.

This is the one I used: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169534715

I dunno how it'll work with real humans. As long as you have good defensive pacts you'll be fine. The issue is that you'll have a real bad fleet cap for ~50 years and like 20 frontier outposts that people will want to destroy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

This is the one I used: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169534715

I dunno how it'll work with real humans. As long as you have good defensive pacts you'll be fine. The issue is that you'll have a real bad fleet cap for ~50 years and like 20 frontier outposts that people will want to destroy.

You'll need to rely on allies. With players and your super amazing tech you might be able to convince some people to trade a long term tech trade agreement for an alliance. Getting -25% on pretty much all of their techs should be pretty valuable.

Also maybe adjust the order of this and dip into the diplo ascension tree so you can start a federation faster.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

It's not required, but it helps. They tend to form clusters of 3-5 primitive civilizations crammed into the same little space, so turning up the frequency increases the number of those clusters. I find primitives fun. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

After I had conquered some silly FE (xenophiles?) I noticed that one of their planets was named Sanctuary and it was full of all kinds of alien species. Which I processed into meatloaf. Was it some kind of ark thing?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not required, but it helps. They tend to form clusters of 3-5 primitive civilizations crammed into the same little space, so turning up the frequency increases the number of those clusters. I find primitives fun. :shrug:

Primitives are very fun as an Assimilator. Also goals as a joke are fun. A buddy of mine had one, a "Retirement Home" which ended up being a full ringworld with pops from every Fallen Empire under his pamperbots. I utilized primitives to jumpstart an Assimilator to high gear from the start (6 planets by 2210).

With me guaranteeing him the entire game, nobody bothered him much. Sure loved teaming up on me though :v: Never matters, Immortal OGRE Shrek leads with Strength and Vision!

And in 2330, with the ring finished, all the Fallens conquered, and a hell of a hilarious batch of terrible names, it was done.

And on the exact day it was done, Shrek died, at the age of 134 years old. His purpose fulfilled, the Universe made, a sillier place.

Now we're just waiting for the crises at 5x strength to come and give my insane fleet something to fight.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Poil posted:

After I had conquered some silly FE (xenophiles?) I noticed that one of their planets was named Sanctuary and it was full of all kinds of alien species. Which I processed into meatloaf. Was it some kind of ark thing?

They were preserving species from the past and you ate them. I bet you're the sort of coworker that eats labeled food in the break room fridge.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Sounds like an event I got where an FE wanted some of my people for a preserve of sorts.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Both your fleet and capitol world are rally points. Look for the little flag symbol in the upper right. Newly built ships will auto rally to the nearest fleet, or if no fleets are set as a rally point, to the nearest planet.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've never really understood what rally points are prioritized when there are multiples. It would be nice if I could make rally points for each side of my empire and a third for the federation fleet but where new ships go is kind of a crapshoot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

They were preserving species from the past and you ate them. I bet you're the sort of coworker that eats labeled food in the break room fridge.
I would never do that! Maybe something involving man-sized kitchen appliances however...

Fray posted:

Sounds like an event I got where an FE wanted some of my people for a preserve of sorts.
Ah, that would explain it. They wanted to preserve other species for the future lol, almost like they knew they would get conquered by some space rear end in a top hat. Turns out they should have been more concerned about their own species. :yum:

I don't care what anyone says, xenophobe is the best. :allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 10, 2017

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Is there an agreed 'optimal' setup for genetically engineered species?

With both ascension perks, having mining pops that're Nerve Stapled, Very Strong and Industrious (8 trait points, +35%) makes sense.
For food, Nerve Stapled and Agrarian (5 trait points, +25%).
For science, Erudite and Natural X (5 trait points, +20-35%).
For energy, just Thrifty seems to apply (2 trait points, +15%).

I've reached the lategame in my biological ascension run and am trying to figure out how to tweak Smart Modification to make it possible to automatically manage all this but it seems, given the trait cost disparity, there's no easy way to do it. Everyone will have their own preference for 'ideal pop for X'. The closest I can think of is having gene-modding in advanced empires automatically set the pop's habitability trait to whatever's appropriate for their planet, so you only need to manage 5 templates:
- Basic smartmod template that assigns all your pops to food/minerals/energy/science/none of the above
- Food template you then apply to all your food subspecies at once
- Minerals template
- Energy template
- Science Template
But it'd still be bit of a ballache as every time you filled up a new world you'd have to do 5 Special Projects.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The problem with optimal pops is that sectors fuckin' suck at using them correctly.

Plus you can't engineer at a super specific level.

Which is why I prefer abilities that are always in effect like cheaper consumer goods.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm trying out the one-planet stuff, is there any reason except maintaining the gimmick to get a second planet if I can afford to get a art monument for it? The unity penalty per planet is only 25%, right? The 8 unity from the monument would currently be easily more than that, and once I got a few pop in the shelter+autochthon monument would make even more. I'm not super concerned about the 10% tech cost increase.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Staltran posted:

I'm trying out the one-planet stuff, is there any reason except maintaining the gimmick to get a second planet if I can afford to get a art monument for it? The unity penalty per planet is only 25%, right? The 8 unity from the monument would currently be easily more than that, and once I got a few pop in the shelter+autochthon monument would make even more. I'm not super concerned about the 10% tech cost increase.

There's the tech cost, the influence cost, the research cost, and the mineral cost. Overall the 1 planet strategy is designed to rush to the science nexus and then expand, but having 2 or 3 planets doesn't impact you too negatively.

When I did my 1 planet game I expanded a bit when the devouring swarm to my south attacked and I annexed their 2 best planets and made them a tributary. I was still way ahead on research and the extra planets came in handy for minerals and energy.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've always thought genemodding your species into multiple specialized subspecies (one for mining, one for research, etc.) would be better handled as a policy choice, since you are basically setting up a caste system anyway. Those strong resilient pops are all going to be miners & soldiers, as will their children & their children's children.

You could have a residency option that unlocks when researching genemodding that works like an advanced version of the caste system, with smaller happiness & influence penalties, and increased range of habitability. As you research more advanced genetic engineering techs the bonuses would get bigger & penalties smaller.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Xae posted:

The problem with optimal pops is that sectors fuckin' suck at using them correctly.

Plus you can't engineer at a super specific level.

Which is why I prefer abilities that are always in effect like cheaper consumer goods.
Well, I made a mod that *let* you engineer at a super-specific level, that's why I'm asking. As far as I can tell sectors won't reshuffle pops once they've grown, so auto-assigning traits based on the tile they're on should hold fine- it'll un-staple pops on power plants, etc.

Nevets posted:

I've always thought genemodding your species into multiple specialized subspecies (one for mining, one for research, etc.) would be better handled as a policy choice, since you are basically setting up a caste system anyway. Those strong resilient pops are all going to be miners & soldiers, as will their children & their children's children.

You could have a residency option that unlocks when researching genemodding that works like an advanced version of the caste system, with smaller happiness & influence penalties, and increased range of habitability. As you research more advanced genetic engineering techs the bonuses would get bigger & penalties smaller.
We can't add extra residency options, as far as I'm aware- the tokens the UI uses are hardcoded. Wonder if we can add optional bonuses based on tech in the same way as buildings can have optional resources based on traditions?

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Which is the best true hyperlane only mod? I tried one but it doesn't seem to be working.

Also can you still assimilate pops as a devouring swarm or you can only eat them?

• Locked thread