Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I saw a headline that Michael Flynn was involved in a plot to kidnap and deliver Fethullah Gülen to Turkey, and the first thing that came to mind was "How will Enes Kanter respond"

Lol

Maybe Flynn would have needed to kidnap Gülen’s closest ally also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm trying to be optimistic about our bad player but now maybe I won't be.

Could've had (insert literally any other player) :sigh:

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a problem and I need help from y'all nerds. Doing a silly project for a CS class and for part of it, I need to classify probably 5 tiers of NBA careers. Like 'Garbage, Bad, average, good, Star' or something. What do you think the best way to look at this would be?

Im thinking if > 10 seasons they are probably already in average cat, I know bad contracts are given, but if you are around for a decade you can play. What are some other identifiers that I could easily sort through? AllStar appearances? All NBA teams? Winshares?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bobby Digital posted:

“Hmm yes I can take Starbury”—a moron

CONEY ISLAND

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Jimmer going to get run out of China for that

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

CONEY ISLAND

Reminder that everyone should Darcy Frey's The Last Shot, a sad book about three other kids that a 14-year-old Steph dominates out of nowhere because he has always been this entertainingly crazy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Boredumb posted:

Lol

Maybe Flynn would have needed to kidnap Gülen’s closest ally also

https://twitter.com/Enes_Kanter/status/928991137385320448

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

American generals are more easily paid off than WWF referees in the presence of the Million Dollar Man, Ted Dibiase

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

ButtWolf posted:

I have a problem and I need help from y'all nerds. Doing a silly project for a CS class and for part of it, I need to classify probably 5 tiers of NBA careers. Like 'Garbage, Bad, average, good, Star' or something. What do you think the best way to look at this would be?

Im thinking if > 10 seasons they are probably already in average cat, I know bad contracts are given, but if you are around for a decade you can play. What are some other identifiers that I could easily sort through? AllStar appearances? All NBA teams? Winshares?

Win shares is fine, almost any metric at that macro level will return mostly the same answers anyway. Maybe use games started to seperate The great mass of forgotten players from the mediocre but long-careered players. The problem from a classification perspective is that the distribution is strongly right skewed.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

dokmo posted:

Marbury is 40 years old and has a ORTG of 138 and is shooting 65%, never stop balling you shining star.

Vaseline makes you shiny.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The hard part is going to decide where the break points are in the categories tbh. I can't guarantee it would actually produce any meaningful result, but I think plotting win shares against some other stat (net points?) might give you some more interesting and defined clusters than if you're just analyzing one attribute.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rick posted:

I'm really tired of people claiming it's because of his dad because I find his dad entertaining at a certain level. It's about his basketball game and how false the narrative has been around him as a player for going on two years now.

Do you have a theory as to how the narrative got twisted?

Because it seems to me as a slightly more than casual NBA fan that it really came down to A) LaVar hyping him up + B) Magic wanting to make a splash.

Seems to me without A he'd never been in the top 10 conversation and without B the lakers might have dropped it after the combine/workouts.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/929056039173009408

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I think he played two garbage time minutes.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here are a bunch of of blocked shots plus fela

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rcgT7XHiQc

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Do you have a theory as to how the narrative got twisted?

Because it seems to me as a slightly more than casual NBA fan that it really came down to A) LaVar hyping him up + B) Magic wanting to make a splash.

Seems to me without A he'd never been in the top 10 conversation and without B the lakers might have dropped it after the combine/workouts.

Lonzo Ball has a worse handle than Terrence Ross. Lonzo Ball 's jumper is as bad as Michael Kidd Gilchrist. Lonzo Ball plays defense like a 6'5 Damian Lillard. Lonzo Ball finishes like Bismack Biyombo, ie he's afraid of layups and only makes dunks off of two feet. He was a very good passer in some areas in college and he made threes off the dribble. He did not make many threes in AAU or high school.

A lot of people fell deeply in love with his passing and off the dribble threes, they made erroneous AB comparisons, like UCLA was awful, then Lonzo Ball was there and they were good, he must be a star. There was ample evidence in film of his glaring weaknesses, the same weaknesses that have sunk other pass first pgs, their rebuttal was always, yeah but he's such a good passer that none of that will matter, and he's tall.

Ben Simmons has outperformed my expectations, he's been wonderfully mobile and engaged on defense, he's finished well, and his height has allowed him to pass at crazy angles despite his lack of a jumper. I think that speaks volumes for the 76ers coaching and his own desire to be a great player.

Alonso Ball is moderately tall, and has so far shown half of what he did in college, pass in transition and rebound, that shot that starts at his belly button is much harder against NBA length. His handle is wobbly. His finishing is poor. He could try harder on defense, but he's lost and not athletic. His passing in transition is good when he gets the chance. Maybe he'll learn to run a pnr. Maybe he'll fix his shot. Maybe he'll take the good steroids and get quicker and stronger. Maybe. Maybe? Maybe.

Maybe Dennis Smith has a bad attitude, but he was blamed for his team falling apart at the seams while Lonzo got all the credit for a bunch of 4 and 5 star prospects gelling under a run and gun threes and layups system. Dennis Smith is an NBA athlete, Dennis Smith is not afraid to take contact while making a layup. Dennis Smith is also a bad defender, but he could become a good one.

I feel like I've written this 50 times, but his UCLA teammates were the best big passer in the NCAA, another pg in young Alfred Alford, and some other star prospects. UCLA was built around hiding his weaknesses and bolstering his strengths. He played like a short small forward who ran the break and rebounded. Other guys ran pnr and he was like the second or third ball handler and could pass to cutters and guys in their spots after the offense was already whirring.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 10, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

At my new job I spend a lot of time with highschool kids. They LOVE basketball so we get talking and I ask them a bunch of questions.
Here's what they think:

Kyrie is the best
Lebron is good but too old
Dwane Casey needs to get fired and the Raptors should get Steve Kerr
Kobe is top 5 all time
Cousins is awesome
Steph is a baby

Most importantly, one kid was ranking his top 3 all time and said, "well obviously, Jordan is number 1" only to be interrupted by someone shouting "JORDAN CANT BE NUMBER ONE HE DOESNT EVEN SHOOT THREES

If you have any questions for them let me know. I'll report back on the hoop preferences of our future.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

At my new job I spend a lot of time with highschool kids. They LOVE basketball so we get talking and I ask them a bunch of questions.
Here's what they think:

Kyrie is the best
Kobe is top 5 all time
Cousins is awesome
Steph is a baby

Most importantly, one kid was ranking his top 3 all time and said, "well obviously, Jordan is number 1" only to be interrupted by someone shouting "JORDAN CANT BE NUMBER ONE HE DOESNT EVEN SHOOT THREES

If you have any questions for them let me know. I'll report back on the hoop preferences of our future.

Ask them if Damian Lillard is better than Kyle Lowry
Ask them if Reggie Jackson scares them because his freakish bat wings and terrible claws
Ask them who the ugliest NBA player is

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BWV posted:

"JORDAN CANT BE NUMBER ONE HE DOESNT EVEN SHOOT THREES

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

BWV posted:

Need to know the report on earl and Beasley to see if they are good opinion havers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ask the kids if Andrew Wiggins was worth the max

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Ask them what the optimum number of alphas is.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BWV posted:

Here's what they think:

Kyrie is the best
Kobe is top 5 all time
Cousins is awesome
Steph is a baby

Ask them if they know Paul Bunyan (aka Wilt Chamberlain)

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Ask them if they ever actually watch games, or is all they know from video games.

I got alot of middle school nephews like that.

They play all the sports, and play video games but NEVER actually watch a game, because there attention span is 5 seconds.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Even Adam Silver hates Niko

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/929103131035791360

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BWV posted:

Here's what they think:

Kyrie is the best
Kobe is top 5 all time
Cousins is awesome
Steph is a baby

The kids are alright :allears:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Ask them if they ever actually watch games, or is all they know from video games.

I got alot of middle school nephews like that.

They play all the sports, and play video games but NEVER actually watch a game, because there attention span is 5 seconds.

They don't watch full games but they spend all day watching highlights on snap/insta/twitter.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

At this point I’m choosing to believe Mirotic asked if he could masturbate in front of Portis.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Man, there is only one tape in the world I want to see more than this Portis v. Niko tape.

Niko must have done some real poo poo to get completely poo poo on by everyone.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the piss tape b side aka bobby vs niko

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah the Mirotic story is some "guy apologizes to Dick Cheney for getting shot in the face" levels of weird.

The Bulls probably would have released him by now if he wasn't also like the third-best player on the team (or maybe they can't because they just re signed him and are going to as soon as they can)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BWV posted:

They don't watch full games but they spend all day watching highlights on snap/insta/twitter.

I mean, at that age, I barely watched full games, just clips on ESPN and looking at boxscores

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BWV posted:

Here's what they think:

Kyrie is the best
Kobe is top 5 all time
Cousins is awesome
Steph is a baby

What are their feelings on Rubio

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Despite this video being annoyingly silent and captioned rather than narrated, this is a good look at how teams create plays. Good for a newbie like me, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwSQ--wkTQs

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
everyone on the last page or two comparing Ball's first 12 games of a rookie season to total seasons of statistics--why are you doing that? That's not a useful thing to compare. Especially since you can compare across whatever span of games with the game finder.

Here's two similarly-stat'd players whose EFGs are almost identical but TS%s are separated by one of them getting to the line 40+ times :

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

everyone on the last page or two comparing Ball's first 12 games of a rookie season to total seasons of statistics--why are you doing that? That's not a useful thing to compare. Especially since you can compare across whatever span of games with the game finder.

Here's two similarly-stat'd players whose EFGs are almost identical but TS%s are separated by one of them getting to the line 40+ times :

Westbrook wasn't hyped as potentially the best passer in history, he was a mostly unknown guy who was seen as a high upside super athletic prospect who was still learning to play pg

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

Westbrook wasn't hyped as potentially the best passer in history, he was a mostly unknown guy who was seen as a high upside super athletic prospect who was still learning to play pg

I dug up the threads from that year
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2885987 Draft thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2888293 Post Draft
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2896181 Summer League

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BWV posted:

So exactly like the rest of us.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I didn't see a new GDT up, so do Detroit or Atlanta have not poo poo play by play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Stiev Awt posted:

I didn't see a new GDT up, so do Detroit or Atlanta have not poo poo play by play?

I think Detroit is the better of the two?

• Locked thread