Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

theflyingorc posted:

Actually we should let whoever wins the primary in any given district compete as they are, and fund any race that we think a Democrat can possibly win (and I mean that extremely broadly), without trying to put a finger on the scale.

This is definitely what we should be doing. Getting away from the culture wars and focusing on specific candidates and progressive issues is the healthy way forward. To take a leaf from the identity politics movements, Democrats (both the party structure itself, and the national media figures) need to be good allies - working to enable local stakeholders and letting them take the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
:siren: Gubernatorial Kegerator update: :siren: the Kegerator in the Virginia governor's mansion is staying where it is as a gift from T-Mac to future governors of the Commonwealth, but he's taking the monogrammed handle, so Northam will have to get his own. Gripping political stuff here, y'all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

What I'm reading is they're trying to figure out what resources they can get that are quiet so they don't nationalize the race. I bet they try to replicate the VA strategy.

It's a senate race. I t's already nationalized.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Still, it's gonna be better to force Moore to run against Strange than Pelosi.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Interesting updates regarding the 28th district race in Virginia, one of the races with a thin margin.

Tl;dr: Uncounted absentee ballots, refusing to release the provisional voter list, and possibly having people voting with the wrong district ballots.
http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...8939f83d01.html

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is the vote certified in all the VA races? What are the R and D seat numbers prior to recounts?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Zwabu posted:

Is the vote certified in all the VA races? What are the R and D seat numbers prior to recounts?

Not officially until sometime Monday, I believe, and there will be recounts. We're sitting at something like 49D-48R, with three races where the Republicans are ahead but by vanishingly tiny margins. Those three, as well as several others which are close but not that close, will certainly be recounted; we won't know for 100% sure who controls the House of Delegates for some time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NintyFresh posted:

Interesting updates regarding the 28th district race in Virginia, one of the races with a thin margin.

Tl;dr: Uncounted absentee ballots, refusing to release the provisional voter list, and possibly having people voting with the wrong district ballots.
http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...8939f83d01.html

Unfortunately, every election is like this. There's all sorts of mistakes and dumb stuff that goes on and no one notices when it's a blowout. It's only in super close ones that all this stuff comes to light.

It seems really skeevy but most of the time it's just the way elections go. No one's trying to gently caress up, they just do.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Not officially until sometime Monday, I believe, and there will be recounts. We're sitting at something like 49D-48R, with three races where the Republicans are ahead but by vanishingly tiny margins. Those three, as well as several others which are close but not that close, will certainly be recounted; we won't know for 100% sure who controls the House of Delegates for some time.

There will be 3. Today one of the Dems conceded which is a real shame. At least do the recount.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Wait, what the gently caress? Republicans can just cancel elections because their candidate isn't performing well?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/929195658925527040

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Petr posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? Republicans can just cancel elections because their candidate isn't performing well?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/929195658925527040

This is giving me déjà vu.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The governor in Alabama has the authority to set the special election date whenever she wants. She pushed the date up already to this year-- it originally was supposed to be next year in 2018, I want to say. In theory, she could try to push it back a few months, get back outside the 76 day window where the ballot is locked, and try to get the party to yank Moore in some fashion. This has literally never been done, and will result almost assuredly in a lawsuit from both Moore and Jones. Although probably not the same lawsuit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Teddybear posted:

The governor in Alabama has the authority to set the special election date whenever she wants. She pushed the date up already to this year-- it originally was supposed to be next year in 2018, I want to say. In theory, she could try to push it back a few months, get back outside the 76 day window where the ballot is locked, and try to get the party to yank Moore in some fashion. This has literally never been done, and will result almost assuredly in a lawsuit from both Moore and Jones. Although probably not the same lawsuit.

Increased litigaaaationnnnnn

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/929344819385786368?s=17

Something for VA goons to keep an eye on in future elections. Went for McCain, Romney, and Trump but Northam edged out a victory. Chesterfield is the sub urbs to the south of Richmond and is where Republicans can usually net Ten thousand or more votes to buffer against Dem strongholds. If it is Competitive area going forward it becomes a lot harder for Republicans to find the votes they need in future statewide elections.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/vpapupdates/status/929344819385786368?s=17

Something for VA goons to keep an eye on in future elections. Went for McCain, Romney, and Trump but Northam edged out a victory. Chesterfield is the sub urbs to the south of Richmond and is where Republicans can usually net Ten thousand or more votes to buffer against Dem strongholds. If it is Competitive area going forward it becomes a lot harder for Republicans to find the votes they need in future statewide elections.

I grew up in Chesterfield. I never thought I'd see this day.

I guess it didn't help out the Delegate candidate, though?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brony Car posted:

8 Delegates cover atleast part of Chesterfield. 3 unopposed Dems, 2 Republican 64% wins, and 3 incredibly close races against Republican incumbents, 1 of which a Dem won.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Brony Car posted:

No, that precinct is one of the ones that already tended to vote for Democrats, along with the Route 1 corridor south of Richmond, so they were carved out and lumped in with a bunch of precincts in East Richmond and Varina to produce HD70, a packed Democratic district.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

theflyingorc posted:

Actually we should let whoever wins the primary in any given district compete as they are, and fund any race that we think a Democrat can possibly win (and I mean that extremely broadly), without trying to put a finger on the scale.

Yep, run contested primaries with a variety of views, then (gasp) support who the people choose from them. It's not rocket science.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Quorum posted:

:siren: Gubernatorial Kegerator update: :siren: the Kegerator in the Virginia governor's mansion is staying where it is as a gift from T-Mac to future governors of the Commonwealth, but he's taking the monogrammed handle, so Northam will have to get his own. Gripping political stuff here, y'all.
I see what you did there.

(also I hope this is a new tradition)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Today I was approached by a man collecting signatures to add a proposed Florida constitutional amendment to the 2018 ballot to restore voting rights for non-violent felons. I gladly signed.

The interesting part was that they only started this initiative because of McAuliffe’s actions in Virginia to restore felon voting rights. Just wanted to mention this here because this owns and I hope the success in Virginia leads to more success elsewhere.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mind_Taker posted:

Today I was approached by a man collecting signatures to add a proposed Florida constitutional amendment to the 2018 ballot to restore voting rights for non-violent felons. I gladly signed.

The interesting part was that they only started this initiative because of McAuliffe’s actions in Virginia to restore felon voting rights. Just wanted to mention this here because this owns and I hope the success in Virginia leads to more success elsewhere.

I never really understood this. In Israel you have special polling places in prisons so that prisoners can vote. I'm dumbfounded that not only can you not vote in prison in the US, but that in most states you lose your vote for life for certain crimes. :psyduck:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I never really understood this. In Israel you have special polling places in prisons so that prisoners can vote. I'm dumbfounded that not only can you not vote in prison in the US, but that in most states you lose your vote for life for certain crimes. :psyduck:

It's very easy to understand once you realize that the entire strategy for Republicans is to make it as difficult for minorities to vote as possible and, well wouldn't you know, convicted felons are disproportionately made up by minorities!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Yeah if you ever read something that seems dumb or makes it harder to vote for no reason, that's because it's the intent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's very easy to understand once you realize that the entire strategy for Republicans is to make it as difficult for minorities to vote as possible and, well wouldn't you know, convicted felons are disproportionately made up by minorities!

I understand why certain parties would like to basically disenfranchise minorities and/or the poor, but other countries which would love to do this would never dream of using this method.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I understand why certain parties would like to basically disenfranchise minorities and/or the poor, but other countries which would love to do this would never dream of using this method.

Other countries racism usually doesn't have the codified and institutionalized history that is seen in the US. Also our minority populations are much larger and united and thus much more of a threat to the racists in power.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Edit: nm

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mind_Taker posted:

While I'm all for it, I have very low hopes that such a measure will get 60%+ of the vote. We're more likely to have a Virginia wave and take the Legislature and Executive than that happening.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maybe I’m a moron but I honestly believe Democrats have a shot at winning the Tennessee Senate race next year. Especially if Phil Bredesen decides to run. He was a popular Governor from 2003-2011 and is the last Dem to hold a major state office. He’s a moderate but you kinda have to be to win this state. Right now the only Dem to throw in the ring is James Mackler, a Nashville attorney and Iraq war veteran. Marsha Blackburn is the GOP front runner, but I believe her Trumpism can be a liability against a moderate candidate.

Governor is also a possibility, with former Nashville mayor Karl Dean the biggest Dem that has announced. Diane Black is the GOP front runner in that race. Maybe I’m being too optimistic, it I’m definitely going to volunteer to help make it happen.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/929741657058283520

12 point shift from their last poll :stare:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now should we hope Roy Moore stays on the ballot for a potential Democratic win, or want him out because the mere possibility that he'd win regardless is still not worth it?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now should we hope Roy Moore stays on the ballot for a potential Democratic win, or want him out because the mere possibility that he'd win regardless is still not worth it?

That poll is registered voters, not likely voters. Only 3% of respondents are 18-34.

You want Moore in, and also he can't drop out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

theflyingorc posted:

That poll is registered voters, not likely voters. Only 3% of respondents are 18-34.

You want Moore in, and also he can't drop out.

They can postpone the election to allow for someone else on that ballot, I thought.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They can postpone the election to allow for someone else on that ballot, I thought.

Governor said there will be no postponement. Who knows if that's how it'll bear out.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Not that the GOP would care or have any shame, but postponing the election when it's looking bad for you would be the most obvious "I'm losing at chess so ima sweep all these pieces off the board, do over!" move ever.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd rather have Moore out. Politics are too weird to risk it. (Look how "easiest to beat" turned out for Trump) Strange is going to have the taint of losing the primary on him, plus the Moore fans who support him even though he's a pedophile will hate Strange.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wish the Senate GOP would threaten to expel Roy Moore if he's elected, but we're talking about Mitch McConnell here... so he's not going to practice what he preaches.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

I'd rather have Moore out. Politics are too weird to risk it. (Look how "easiest to beat" turned out for Trump) Strange is going to have the taint of losing the primary on him, plus the Moore fans who support him even though he's a pedophile will hate Strange.

Nah, Alabama republicans will absolutely come home for Strange because they can justify doing so extremely easily.

Moore will either keep folks home or inspire people to vote for Jones just to keep him out. He's the best chance for stealing this seat.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

Governor said there will be no postponement. Who knows if that's how it'll bear out.

The governor had already declined to endorse Moore before all this poo poo came out. She doesn't seem to be a fan of his.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Postponing opens the door to a bunch of “cant postpone THESE election” ads in 2018. It’s just not a good look and would be a national story forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Remember when people wanted Trump to win the primary for an easy general win?

• Locked thread