Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Only Shallow posted:

I guess Panzer Dragoon Saga probably is too but I will never own that game :(

You know, the Japanese version of Saga (Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG) is still about $30. It's playable with even rudimentary Japanese knowledge, though you'll miss out on some finer points of the story. You'll also get a much nicer manual and cover, perfect for display at parties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Huh, now I'm wondering if those cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers I bought for my older Windows 98 computer, complete with a used CRT monitor, were really a good idea.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I know Symphony of the Night is a great game but does a loose greatest hits version disc need to cost US$60? What kind of volume print run did those green label games get anyway?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

dishwasherlove posted:

I know Symphony of the Night is a great game but does a loose greatest hits version disc need to cost US$60? What kind of volume print run did those green label games get anyway?

I imagine people who buy them have absolutely no intention of parting with them, so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's also trivially available digitally.

$6 on PS3/PSP/PSVita/PSTV
I think $10 on XB360/XB1
$20 for Dracula X Chronicles on PSP/PSVita

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm seeing disc only copies going for half that price on ebay if you really a physical copy.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Shadow Hog posted:

Huh, now I'm wondering if those cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers I bought for my older Windows 98 computer, complete with a used CRT monitor, were really a good idea.

you'll be ok

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dishwasherlove posted:

I forget the specifics but I believe SOTN's "greatest hits" run had no correlation to the game's actual popularity and was mainly just a marketing ploy by Sony to get more people to buy it, so it may be that there aren't actually a ton of them around.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I forget the specifics but I believe SOTN's "greatest hits" run had no correlation to the game's actual popularity and was mainly just a marketing ploy by Sony to get more people to buy it, so it may be that there aren't actually a ton of them around.

When I bought it, it was only $20 for the black label original. 97 or 98.

It was from Babbages, where they'd gut all the new games for the tray/disc to keep them behind the counter and just put the case/manual on the wall. I bought Dragon Warrior 2 and Demon's Crest from them years before and they did the same thing with boxes/cartridges. The stuff behind the counter was shrink-wrapped and everything. Loss prevention, man.

univbee posted:

$20 for Dracula X Chronicles on PSP/PSVita

But that requires you to play DXC. :gonk:
Source: I did it to unlock SotN and hated every second I had to look at it. There might've been something off about the gameplay/controls too, but I specifically remember it being hideous.

Random question:
Are Zelda 2 loops 2+ any different from the first besides having maxed stats? Is the game more difficult at all?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It and Final Fantasy Tactics, iirc.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Phantasium posted:

It and Final Fantasy Tactics, iirc.

Well, since we're talking about weirdly sized production runs of games, what in the world happened with Chrono Cross? It can still be bought new on Amazon for $10 with Prime shipping. How many copies of that drat game did they make?

That has to be a record, right? What other 90s video games are widely and cheaply available brand new from retailers?

Edit: Turns out a lot of Squaresoft PS1 games are in this state. They really were on top of the world back then, weren't they?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 11, 2017

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
*removed*

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 20, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I wonder if the forums run on the Dreamcast browser.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Didn't Lowtax once spot someone browsing the forums on some lovely old web browser for TV?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles is good and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. As long as you accept its a different game to Rondo and both can coexist.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ineffiable posted:

Didn't Lowtax once spot someone browsing the forums on some lovely old web browser for TV?

There was a GBS thread about forum statistics, and Lowtax said something like "and one guy uses WebTV, but I banned him because wtf?"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Well, since we're talking about weirdly sized production runs of games, what in the world happened with Chrono Cross? It can still be bought new on Amazon for $10 with Prime shipping. How many copies of that drat game did they make?

That has to be a record, right? What other 90s video games are widely and cheaply available brand new from retailers?

Edit: Turns out a lot of Squaresoft PS1 games are in this state. They really were on top of the world back then, weren't they?

You can still buy a few PS1 square games straight from their online store, Chrono Cross being one of them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Phantasium posted:

You can still buy a few PS1 square games straight from their online store, Chrono Cross being one of them

I got FF9 this way a few months back. It's kind of cool to get a sealed copy of a big-name game for so cheap, even if it's not really worth anything

being able to crack open a brand new copy of a PS1 game is super weird

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, their sale this past week or so had a bunch of FF games for a decent price. If I didn't have them, I would have loaded up.

I've grabbed some PS1/PS2/PSP games on their site over the past year or so during sales. Wish other companies still had a bunch of old stock that they sell off. I know a few did like Natsume or whatever.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 11, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, their sale this past week or so had a bunch of FF games for a decent price. If I didn't have them, I would have loaded up.

I've grabbed some PS1/PS2/PSP games on their site over the past year or so during sales. Wish other companies still had a bunch of old stock that they sell off. I know a few did like Natsume or whatever.

Let me introduce you to Best Electronics, who bought up all the Atari warehouses when they went under in the 90s and have been selling new old stock everything ever since. I got a few Microprose Atari 800 games new in box in original shrink wrap from them recently. They’ve even got pallets of Lynx consoles if you want some.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

McCracAttack posted:

I was working at a Fry's in the early 2010s and we were still getting new copies of FF Anthology and FF Chronicles here and there. Only PS1 games that still shipped to us regularly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

Let me introduce you to Best Electronics, who bought up all the Atari warehouses when they went under in the 90s and have been selling new old stock everything ever since. I got a few Microprose Atari 800 games new in box in original shrink wrap from them recently. They’ve even got pallets of Lynx consoles if you want some.

Holy gently caress that is the ugliest website I have ever seen :stonklol:

Also, I'm uh, more than a little confused by Square's deal too, are they still loving manufacturing new copies of their PS1 games!? :psyduck:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, I'm uh, more than a little confused by Square's deal too, are they still loving manufacturing new copies of their PS1 games!? :psyduck:

I assume it is just leftover stock, it seems to be more stuff like Origins, Anthology and Chronicles. FF9 too, but not FF7 or FF8 which they would be manufacturing if they were the others. Probably just made more Greatest Hits versions than they could sell after FF7 and FF8 were so big.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I wonder if the forums run on the Dreamcast browser.

The main issue would be that the site's set up to try to force you to browse over https and the Dreamcast's browser probably can't handle any of the modern https standards.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Who is sniping all the Dreamcast fishing rods. I just want to play Marine Fishing properly damnit

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

StabMasterArson posted:

Who is sniping all the Dreamcast fishing rods. I just want to play Marine Fishing properly damnit

I got mine back in the day, I couldn't imagine playing any of those games without it. I don't know what they go for but just spend the $!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Man, the only longbox PSX games I had were Cyberia and Descent and I already owned them on PC.

Also, I'm still miffed that Irem yanked all their stuff from the PlayStation Store right before I got a PS3. I can settle with playing R-Tyoe Delta in an emulator, but what the gently caress?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Going to SC3 today in the founder’s backyard. Wooo!

http://www.sc3videogames.com

If you’re coming, I’ll see you when the doors open!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah it’s ugly but the guy knows what he’s doing - he gets new joystick and paddle parts manufactured and sold me replacement components for my Atari ST including a whole keyboard assembly still in original service center packaging.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

welcome to the rest of your life

http://budugllydesign.com/

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

One of these days alien archaeologist are going to be picking through the bones of our crumbled civilization. They'll find an NES and marvel that we built elaborate tombs for dead insects.

I just want you to know that the heap I found was kind of like a miniature tumbleweed.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Huh, for some reason it seems Swap Magic no longer works on my old fat PS2. I tried to boot a couple of backups and import games and just kept getting the "Please insert PS2 or PSone format disc" error.

Time to look into installing FreeMcBoot, I guess. I hope Swap Magic at least manages to get that started. :ohdear:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Swap Magic 3 has a boot from USB key option that allows you to run the software needed to install FreeMcBoot. At least that's how I did it years ago.

In other news, today I was thinking about X-Men games for the Mega Drive, remembered there was one were they teamed up with Spider-Man, and then remembered one of my favorite Sega Mega CD games: Spider-Man vs Kingpin.

The game itself isn't anything amazing, but the soundtrack is both cool and hilarious buttrock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbfNbfzI3U

It's Swiiing time! Take no Prisoners! Aaaah

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Doc Morbid posted:

Huh, for some reason it seems Swap Magic no longer works on my old fat PS2. I tried to boot a couple of backups and import games and just kept getting the "Please insert PS2 or PSone format disc" error.

Time to look into installing FreeMcBoot, I guess. I hope Swap Magic at least manages to get that started. :ohdear:

If you send me a card I’ll put freemcboot on it and send it your way. It’s really easy to install if you already have a freemcb card. Alternately they just sell them on eBay for really cheap.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Got FMCB up and running without too much hassle, using the USB flash drive + Swap Magic method. Would've been even easier if I had read the install instructions properly in the first place, but at least everything's working now! :downs:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
On the ongoing topic of how worthless most Atari 2600 games are: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7BA66CFB781EC10F

That's a playlist of Atari 2600 longplays, where longplays are of course someone playing all the way through a game and going through all the content present, not in a pseed run sort of way but not in a "this is my first time playing so I'll constantly get lost" way either.

Most of them are well under 15 minutes, tons are under 5 minutes. The longest video they've done so far is Enduro at 33 minutes, and that's only because even though the game "ends" at the 5 day mark in game (you win a cup and there's no new environments) he goes up to 10 to just see how the indicator handles it. But a game like Barnstorming? You see everything in under 3.5 minutes

The channel's also psoted about a dozen or so other 2600 games recently without adding them to the playlist, but the same sort of thing holds.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

calling a game worthless because you can finish it quickly is disingenuous at best. you can get all the achievements in geometry wars in 5 minutes, that doesn't mean it's worthless (or maybe to you it does, if you're, you know, extremely dumb).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

financially racist posted:

calling a game worthless because you can finish it quickly is disingenuous at best. you can get all the achievements in geometry wars in 5 minutes, that doesn't mean it's worthless (or maybe to you it does, if you're, you know, extremely dumb).

Geometry Wars has a hell of a lot more content than any given Atari 2600 game

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's also content which you can see all of within a few short minutes, which is my point. it's a really bad way to judge the worth of any game from any era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

financially racist posted:

Geometry Wars is actually fun though (plus its achievements are hardly all there is to it). There just isn't much of anything there in a ton of 2600 games, and that's why people can't stand to play the vast majority of them today.