Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You mentioned Foamasi?
You mean the Myrka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I know the JNT era has been sort of redeemed in a lot of circles, but goddamn is The Leisure Hive very immediately worse than The Horns of the Nimon, and I don't even like the latter very much. The hair and makeup by Crayola, the dread seriousness of everything, the soundtrack that sounds like it was cribbed from bits of The Sea Devils, the embarrassing opening, the question marks. I just want Duggan to show up and start punching everyone.

The Leisure Hive is genuinely one of my favourite ever Doctor Who stories. I absolutely adore the soundtrack and the direction, and the story involves some very interesting concepts. Full Circle, The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis are all pretty great too. Season 18 is just the best.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How has no-one mentioned Warrior's Gate yet. Awesome direction, great music, amazing villain. Really great editing on that one cliffhanger too.

I'M FINALLY GETTING SOMETHING DONE! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's good stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cargohills posted:

The Leisure Hive is genuinely one of my favourite ever Doctor Who stories. I absolutely adore the soundtrack and the direction, and the story involves some very interesting concepts. Full Circle, The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis are all pretty great too. Season 18 is just the best.

You fail to mention the best serial from series 18, this is a deliberate affront

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I must begrudgingly acknowledge that State of Decay is actually quite good, even if it does involve vampires. It's this strange sweet spot that allows the Four/Romana "Oh, do you say so? Well, I find that quite interesting, don't you find that quite interesting?" thing to work within the new JNT framework, and the way they play with black, white and green is way more interesting than the highlighter colors from Hive, Meglos & Full Circle. It's like all the sci fi and fantasy cliches of the time got together and had a party, and served familiar cocktails and hors d'oeuvres with a new, exciting spin on them, and they weren't discerning in distributing invitations. I find it hard to believe any of the other serials are going to be better than it.

cargohills posted:

This though. :stare:

The soundtrack, even in State of Decay, is not so much a soundtrack as it is a distracting assault on the ears. Full Circle does come close to being good, I think. Its major problem is that the swamp creatures are not interesting and the direction is extremely bad regarding them. The number of times that they threateningly wave weapons at someone and do a sort of theatrical dance makes the whole thing feel like a theater movement class that allows freshmen in. Lalla Ward in particular always seems to have a half-grin on her face, like she can't quite believe what she's doing. The rubber suits are somehow even more embarrassing than the giant muppet outfits of Eden and Nimon, if only because they look like cheap Halloween costumes. It would have been a way better story if they'd ignored "the mist" and the spiders and the swamp critters and focused more on the core idea of eternal repairs to a spaceship that nobody knows how to drive.

Jeru is definitely right that Adric works better with Four, though. He's way less annoying that I remember him being so far. Tom Baker's hair-ruffling charisma just works better than Five's beleaguered young dad routine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"State of Decay" is great fun. It's a novel take on traditional vampire stories which I appreciate; one of the old Hammer Draculas on an alien world.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You fail to mention the best serial from series 18, this is a deliberate affront

I've never watched Meglos, so I decided not to comment on it.

(Seriously though, I didn't like Warrior's Gate as much as everyone else seems to. It has some excellent moments, like the Alien style tracking shot at the start and the cliffhanger to Part 3, but the overall story just didn't grab me.)

Bicyclops posted:

The soundtrack, even in State of Decay, is not so much a soundtrack as it is a distracting assault on the ears.

It doesn't matter what you say, I'll always love the low-budget Vangelis style they went for in The Leisure Hive. It's classic!

Bicyclops posted:

Full Circle does come close to being good, I think. Its major problem is that the swamp creatures are not interesting and the direction is extremely bad regarding them. The number of times that they threateningly wave weapons at someone and do a sort of theatrical dance makes the whole thing feel like a theater movement class that allows freshmen in. Lalla Ward in particular always seems to have a half-grin on her face, like she can't quite believe what she's doing. The rubber suits are somehow even more embarrassing than the giant muppet outfits of Eden and Nimon, if only because they look like cheap Halloween costumes. It would have been a way better story if they'd ignored "the mist" and the spiders and the swamp critters and focused more on the core idea of eternal repairs to a spaceship that nobody knows how to drive.

The marshmen have their flaws, but the cliffhanger where they rise from the water is one of the best ever.

As an addendum, I would like to note that I recently watched and enjoyed The Twin Dilemma. To paraphrase Christian Grey, my tastes are... unconventional.

EDIT: Just remembered my favourite thing about State of Decay - there's at least one scene where the King and Queen vampires sort of dance around each other when moving around. I don't remember if they do it more than once but it looks great - the directors for Season 18 definitely cared a lot more than for most other seasons.

EDIT 2: Another good thing about The Leisure Hive: the only decent old man makeup in Doctor Who ever.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 10, 2017

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just got around to listening to Doom Coalition 3 and am halfway through 4 now and loving it. Dark Eyes didn’t grab me nearly as much, I can’t even remember half of what happened in it. I don’t recall Molly getting nearly as much character development as Liv and Helen have been getting and the plot’s been really fun so far too. Finally someone pointed out that the idea of simultaneously across different times makes 0 sense and the story took advantage to have some things run in parallel and some things not.

I really like River so I’m pretty thrilled with the amount of her in these audios too, I thought it would just be a cameo in one episode like it has been so far rather than her being a truly central character. I especially loved the bit where her reaction to the Doctor being sent to his Certain Doom is to immediately use her assassin credentials to sign on with the bad guys.

I’m also pleased that the comparison between the library and the matrix archive has been drawn more or less canonically.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

EDIT 2: Another good thing about The Leisure Hive: the only decent old man makeup in Doctor Who ever.

Incorrect, as William Hartnell was only 19 when he took the role

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Incorrect, as William Hartnell was only 19 when he took the role

Passing away at the ripe old age of 31. Life was tougher in Britain back then.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HD DAD posted:

Passing away at the ripe old age of 31. Life was tougher in Britain back then.

Wartime quotas on age still in effect?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It was a conspiracy set up by Troughton, Pertwee and the Bakers

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

It was a conspiracy set up by Troughton, Pertwee and the Bakers

Will Pip and Jane's sins forever go unpunished?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

docbeard posted:

Will Pip and Jane's sins forever go unpunished?

Such vile slander! You microcephalic apostate!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that time they remade "The Gunfighters"?

:D

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trin Tragula posted:

Such vile slander! You microcephalic apostate!

Oh here we go, another trip around the English language!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I personally have enjoyed this catharsis of spurious morality

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember that time they remade "The Gunfighters"?

:D

Well this seems legit, it features a distinguished actor from This Sporting Life after all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Well this seems legit, it features a distinguished actor from This Sporting Life after all.

Don't ever remember Troughton wearing glasses however

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Don't ever remember Troughton wearing glasses however

:colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"How do you do, fellow Time Lords?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

“Have you met the French? My god, they know how to party!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The old spoiler thread got hit with the D-MAT gun, so here’s a new one!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So apparently Penguin Books are bringing back Who Novelizations, ala Target books.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

So apparently Penguin Books are bringing back Who Novelizations, ala Target books.

Still waiting for Gaiman to do the novelisation of The Doctor's Wife he talked about.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Davros1 posted:

I get the nostalgia appeal but... what’s the point now that home media is so readily available? I guess people like novelisations but I just don’t get it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

cargohills posted:

I get the nostalgia appeal but... what’s the point now that home media is so readily available? I guess people like novelisations but I just don’t get it.

The announced titles so far are for Rose, The Christmas Invasion, The Day of the Doctor, and Twice Upon a Time, so it looks like they're only doing milestone episodes so far. Don't know if they're going to do the whole run

Also no announcement whether or not Terrence Dicks is doing them

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/929702896014385154

Splendid~

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hello medically induced coma my old friend

see you in a year or so

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

The old spoiler thread got hit with the D-MAT gun, so here’s a new one!

What old thread? This is the first I've I've seen. :confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

What old thread? This is the first I've I've seen. :confused:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550205 and its various previous incarnations

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:thejoke:

What does the D-MAT gun do...?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

:thejoke:

What does the D-MAT gun do...?

If you want to remember The Invasion of Time be my guest

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

According to wikipedia (I know, I know) RTD's doing the Rose novelization. Jenny T Colgan's doing "The Christmas Invasion", and the Moff is doing "Day of the Doctor" and "Twice Upon A Time"

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Teek posted:

Original concept art drawn up for her look by Patrick Goddard:

Oh she's wearing pants and not a flowy skirt. :monocle:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shneak posted:

Oh she's wearing pants and not a flowy skirt. :monocle:

Not even 7 would have worn non-pants.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Is Terrance Di-

Davros1 posted:

Also no announcement whether or not Terrence Dicks is doing them

Oh :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They want the books to be longer than 128 pages, and he won’t agree.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just assumed he was doing the other 130 episodes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was so focused on the rest of the outfit I didn't notice how cool those boots are. Not quite as cool as 12's Doc Martens, but still pretty great.

• Locked thread