Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Oooh, Predict gets rid of all (A lot of?) your defense, and I only ever manage to dodge one attack, and then the second attack slaughters me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any QR codes for us poor EU chums who dont want to run into conrad all the time?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Oooh, Predict gets rid of all (A lot of?) your defense, and I only ever manage to dodge one attack, and then the second attack slaughters me.

The evasion bonus goes down with each attack dodged, and if you do get hit you take 2.5x damage. It's risky as hell as a tanking method. Blinding enemies helps a ton, though.

Once you get the Phantom Fencer master title, you get much better dodge-taking tools. There's a skill similar to Predict that doesn't increase the damage you take, a passive that increases your evasion for each empty equipment slot, and another passive that gives you increased aggro and defense for each consecutive attack dodged so when you do finally get hit, it actually hurts less.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm considering giving my Botanist a good weapon to give them something to do during the turns they aren't healing. They're a Brouni, so I'm not gonna be using their debuffs or anything. Is this a good idea, or should I be doing something else?

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Any QR codes for us poor EU chums who dont want to run into conrad all the time?

(Can I have yours too? I need more EU guild cards.)

nekoxid fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'm considering giving my Botanist a good weapon to give them something to do during the turns they aren't healing. They're a Brouni, so I'm not gonna be using their debuffs or anything. Is this a good idea, or should I be doing something else?

I usually have a Botanist or Shaman wield a bow, myself. If nothing else, because I have a Chain Fencer, the stab damage gives me another potential chain proc.

Shamans, at least, tend to have enough to do that I don't feel the need to do normal attacks very often, though when I used a Botanist in the early game it was helpful to have them plink away with a bow when I didn't need healing on a turn.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pollyanna posted:

I generally just have my Botanist spam Reflex Herb when everyone's at full health, but that's part of the Merciful Healer mastery, which you may not have.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

I gave my Herald Shaman (also Brouni) the Curse Flame staff from the 3rd stratum. Somehow they managed to get curse onto several targets despite their terrible LUC. I had no other ailments I really wanted to use and only needed some ailment for Leading Blow so this was a welcome surprise.
They kept it for a long time - so long in fact they killed a post-game boss with the weapon skill, getting their conditional drop.

It was strange and silly but also funny.

I'd say give them some offensive potential unless you want the Aegis Prayer bow from the first stratum, rare chop (it decreases damage taken by 17% at 5).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Giving a botanist a bow isn't a terrible idea, especially if you have one that buffs WIS. Or Killing Shot to prevent ambushes. Plus stab damage to trigger chains, etc.

Also worth noting, even though Brounis aren't the best at inflicting ailments if you have a party member who IS good at it, SmokeBlight is still useful. It triggers off ailments, not smoke skills specifically.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough - I'm still working my way through the first stratum, so I might be pre-optimizing too much. The bow sounds like a good idea, I'll give it to them.

Is there a way to access the equipment of guild members that aren't in your party? Digging through my characters to find the one with the exp share is a pain in the butt :(

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Go into the shop, go to the Equip option (in the shop, not in the main menu - yes, there is such an option), press X - you are now on your guild members that are not in the active party.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Pollyanna posted:

Fair enough - I'm still working my way through the first stratum, so I might be pre-optimizing too much. The bow sounds like a good idea, I'll give it to them.

Is there a way to access the equipment of guild members that aren't in your party? Digging through my characters to find the one with the exp share is a pain in the butt :(

You can change the equipment of inactive party members through the shop interface when you're in town. Select the Equip option and then hit the X button.

e:f,b

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
man this auto-miasma thing is real goddamn annoying

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

theshim posted:

man this auto-miasma thing is real goddamn annoying

I never took a rank in auto-miasma ever. To me, Endless Shroud was consistent enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Auto-Miasma itself isn't annoying and is, in fact, fantastic if you use a Deathbringer. I won't think I'd like my Deathbringer nearly as much if he couldn't bust out a Toxic Reap on the first turn of random battles every time.

But it can only proc once per fight, no matter how many Harbingers you have, so if you're doing a five-Harbinger run like theshim that's going to be a real problem.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Violently Car posted:

I never took a rank in auto-miasma ever. To me, Endless Shroud was consistent enough.

endless shroud is the one where you can proc miasma armor when you cast a debuff? mine is currently at rank 3 and it's never procced for me even once, and i just constantly use stifling miasma :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endless Shroud is cool on a Deathguard, because debuffs are the main thing you do, but I probably wouldn't put much into it on a Deathbringer until your ailment and damage skills are at a good level. You're probably going to use Stifling and Wilting Miasma no matter what type of Harbinger you're building so it's useful for both, but I'd rather have Auto-Miasma on a Deathbringer just for its random battle helpfulness.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've managed to beat the 2nd stratum with this ragtag party. I plan to retire everyone at 30 as usual. Anything I can radically improve about the party that is gonna bite me in the rear end? current comp:

Chain Fencer / Dragoon (mess of skills so far) / Pugilist (one two punch route)
Hound Rover / Warlock

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Auto-Miasma procs for me really often with only a couple ranks in it, definitely often enough for it to be worth it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

I've managed to beat the 2nd stratum with this ragtag party. I plan to retire everyone at 30 as usual. Anything I can radically improve about the party that is gonna bite me in the rear end? current comp:
I'd hold off on retiring until 40, if only so the new characters can immediately select a mastery. Though if you plan to use the XP grinding DLC anyway, disregard this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How exactly am I supposed to deal with the Roper-AyeAye/Roperx3 group on 4F? Ropers fuse like, at the beginning of the battle, and I have next to no chance of beating one before that happens.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Rangpur posted:

I'd hold off on retiring until 40, if only so the new characters can immediately select a mastery. Though if you plan to use the XP grinding DLC anyway, disregard this.

Is the party composition itself okay? I have no idea which masteries would be the better ones to be honest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

How exactly am I supposed to deal with the Roper-AyeAye/Roperx3 group on 4F? Ropers fuse like, at the beginning of the battle, and I have next to no chance of beating one before that happens.

My usual approach was just to accept that they were gonna fuse, and use my Pugilist to bind the fused mega-roper so it couldn't gently caress me up too badly. There's probably a better approach but my general love of disables in EO games makes me see them in that "when all you have is a hammer" sort of way :v:

FrickenMoron posted:

Is the party composition itself okay? I have no idea which masteries would be the better ones to be honest.

Yes, your party composition is good. Depending on how heavily you want to rely on that Chain Fencer, you might end up missing a Shaman--they're super helpful for proccing elemental chains--but you can still do good work with that (your Rover's stab attacks are great and both Warlock specs obviously have all the elements) and with Chain Killer (binds from the Pugilist, Rover, and an Omnimancer Warlock if you go that route, and Hypno Cannon if you go for a Cannon Dragoon).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 10, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Pollyanna posted:

Arm Bind shuts down Colossal Roper really well. If you have a Rover with a Hawk, Wing Thrash does a ton of damage to a row, and it was my go to for those instances.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, Analyze doesn't permanently add monsters to your logbook? Or is it only if you finish the battle and don't run away?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, Analyze doesn't permanently add monsters to your logbook? Or is it only if you finish the battle and don't run away?

It says temporary in the description, same as the analysis scope. Monsters get added to you log book if you finish the battle regardless.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah you need to actually defeat the enemy. It just gives you insight during the current combat.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yay! I got through 22F.

NEVER TRUST SQUIRRELS.

Also, my party must have brain damage from flying around 23F...

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah you need to actually defeat the enemy. It just gives you insight during the current combat.

I tend to open boss / FOE fights with Analyze, so I know what I should be doing. Unfortunately, it doesn't carry over when a boss changes forms, so that's bit a bit finicky.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what is even up with this golem fight? I understand that when it recombines it explodes, so is the right strat to just burn down all the little ones so that they can never fully recombine? There are quite alot of them though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can either use AOE to keep them under control while also whittling down the main body, or you can just use defensive skills to survive the Explosion and keep up a sustainable cycle while bursting him down with single-target attacks. It really depends on your party, but multiple approaches can and have worked.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There are quite alot of them though

Unless you have enough damage to just melt all the mini-golems continiously you should block off four of the six golem spawns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

werbear posted:

Unless you have enough damage to just melt all the mini-golems continiously you should block off four of the six golem spawns.

did this by accident, felt pretty sly :smug:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is even up with this golem fight? I understand that when it recombines it explodes, so is the right strat to just burn down all the little ones so that they can never fully recombine? There are quite alot of them though

If you block off the sides keeping him from reforming is manageable, the difficulty of doing so depends on your party. Ignoring them and just focusing on the main body can work too if you can survive the explosion.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Dragoons take forever to kill stuff premastery.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Dragoons take forever to kill stuff premastery.

Just learn barrage on everyone and spam aoes

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Jimmy Hats posted:

Just learn barrage on everyone and spam aoes

I just beat the 1F mission.

Wild dog vs 5 dragoons = bad

Not enough offense. Enough defense, but supplies are limited.

My therians know barrage, they deal okay damage.

The Celestrian and Brouni deal like 9 - 10 damage

But we're slowly getting better.

Slowly.

Anyway. Bunkers. I need to invest in bunkers.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wait what do you guys mean block off the sides?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can hit switches in such a way that pillars appear in the boss room. These block off golem spawn points and slow down the reinforcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you can change the direction the statues are facing to block off the side parts of the boss chamber. there are six total spawn points in the center room, but you can block off four of them with the I/O pillars. the two by the entrance are always going to be in play, though.