Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

there wolf posted:

We've actually had talks in that thread about how long into the series it takes to realize you're reading terrible objectivist propaganda. Consensus is that book one is enough plain, WHT knock-off fantasy that you could plausibly miss it.

If you get to the statue that converts everyone to objectivism just by looking at it, then you're either really dense or sixteen. So really dense.

I remember trying to read the first book but then got put off after the first few chapters by just how bad the writing was. Like they were under this sentient tree and our hero is trying to comfort the fantasy waifu female lead and it got really cringey from there

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

WHT knock-off fantasy

Wooly-headed teen?

Westmoreland Heritage Trail?

William Howard Taft?

Anyway, the titular "wizards' first rule" is "people are stupid and will believe anything" so yeah it's not a surprise it appealed to edgy teens and then devolved into objectivism.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on Donald Trump, Twitter and China – White House official says US president will not avoid favourite communication source during the 12-day east Asian tour"

Telegraph:

Penny Mordaunt replaces Priti Patel in May's cabinet

Independent:

Times:

Trump praises China and blames US for trade deficit

Evening Standard:

John Lewis Christmas ad 2017: watch the video of Moz the monster

Mail:
Mac on... Debbie McGee on Strictly Come Dancing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Wooly-headed teen?

William Howard Taft?

Anyway, the titular "wizards' first rule" is "people are stupid and will believe anything" so yeah it's not a surprise it appealed to edgy teens and then devolved into objectivism.
my guess is Wheel of Time. That discussion happens occasionally but its usually abbreviated WoT

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Wooly-headed teen?

William Howard Taft?

:doh: That should be WoT, Wheel of Time.

And that "people are stupid and will believe anything" is on the list of reasons I'm glad Game of Thrones changed the entire genre. Edge for the edgelord grimdark poo poo is annoying, but a million authors trying to be Terry Pratchett and coming out Peirs Anthony is not missed.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I still don't get why people think Game of Thrones came up with characters who exist in the plot solely to be gruesomely killed to raise the stakes. We've had redshirts for ages.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

McKee is a complete and utter bell-end, but I do enjoy his ridiculous elephants from time to time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

McKee is a complete and utter bell-end, but I do enjoy his ridiculous elephants from time to time.

Don't know the context but that one is unironically hilarious.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Don't know the context but that one is unironically hilarious.

When Trump started winning the GOP nomination last year, some in the party floated the idea of having Mitt join the race because they thought he would win for some reason.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Technowolf posted:

When Trump started winning the GOP nomination last year, some in the party floated the idea of having Mitt join the race because they thought he would win for some reason.

Also, yesterday, while hordes of republican voters and pols were falling all over themselves to be all "WE SHOULD WAIT UNTIL ALL THE FACTS ARE IN" or even "I'D VOTE FOR THE PEDO OVER A DEMONRAT", Mitt offered up this:

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/928999549376528385

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Technowolf posted:

Also because Romney was one of the few prominent Republicans who called Trump out for being poo poo before he'd locked in the nomination, IIRC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, how bad is the world when Mitt Romney and John McCain seem reasonable.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fyi, Payne didn’t do a cartoon on Texas at all, but he definitely shat out a turd on green energy pertaining to...absolutely nothing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pants Donkey posted:

Fyi, Payne didn’t do a cartoon on Texas at all, but he definitely shat out a turd on green energy pertaining to...absolutely nothing.

Either #1 not a vroom vroom so he don't care or #2 he probably knows by now that there's no risk of him losing his guns. I'm scared of that second one.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, it's an easy mistake to make. The first book is mostly generic fantasy, although not very good generic fantasy, with only a few :stonk: moments. Now if you see someone reading the later books, that is a sign for concern/intervention/severing all ties.

A friend recommended it to me all through college (well college for me, pretend to be going to class while spending mom and dad's money before flunking out for him) and gifted me a copy. I sold it to a used bookstore a few years later unread.

Dude later became a 9/11 Truther, Sandy Hook Truther, and half-assed redpill prepper. He went full MAGA chud last year and man, I don't care if I've known the dude 20 years, ain't nobody got time for that poo poo.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tell us more about how you hosed your way through your homeless period, Todd.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'm a terrible person and am laughing my rear end off at this

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They're my second favorite, right behind the artist who draws them with one crazy eye.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
That Payne comic is amazing. That he can unironically hold that opinion really drives home the notion that to be against the "progressives" is to be regressive. Straight up needs to be pulled into the future kicking and screaming. Payne's the guy arguing against music in a can.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

8 [img]https://i.imgur.com/vz6k5os.png[/url][/img]

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They're my second favorite, right behind the artist who draws them with one crazy eye.

There are several, you're going to have to be more specific.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

There was another outed sexual pervert who I believe is much bigger news, I wonder why Gary didn't mention him...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cpt.Americant posted:

There are several, you're going to have to be more specific.

The one where the elephant has a series of colored rings in its eye.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Rob Rogers?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Anderson?

Yeah, he's got crazy eyes down well.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

Rob Rogers?

Yup, that's the one.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

That last panel... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

You can distill all of Prickly City down to that one panel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress veterans

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugh the hacks are going to be really disgusting about this George Takei rape allegation.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cheaper than actually taking care of them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Ugh the hacks are going to be really disgusting about this George Takei rape allegation.

Suddenly, inappropriate sexual conduct is bad again!

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

hold up let me put on my RamirezVision™ glasses for this one

Lurdiak posted:

Aw man, really?! crisps I hate this timeline this blows.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Hollywood and Washington seem to be having a contest to see who has the most sex offenders

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm really hoping that Takei turns out to be completely innocent, he was a role model for lots of people.
The Hacks will tear into him regardless.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wikipedia posted:

In November 2012, the conservative political news and opinion website Daily Caller published allegations that Menendez had contact with underage prostitutes in the Dominican Republic. The allegations were promoted by Republican Party operatives, who arranged interviews for two women accusing Menendez of patronizing prostitutes with ABC News and the Daily Caller. However, ABC News and other news organizations such as The New York Times, and the New York Post declined to publish the allegations, viewing them as unsubstantiated and lacking credibility. One of the women who had accused Menendez stated that she had been paid to falsely implicate the Senator and had never met him. The Daily Caller says this woman was not interviewed for their story. Menendez's office described the allegations as "manufactured" by a "right-wing blog" as a politically motivated smear. On March 18, 2013 police in the Dominican Republic announced that three women had said they had been paid $300–425 each to lie about having had sex with Menendez.

He's on trial right now for bribery anyway.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Well, this year's COP is currently taking place in Cologne, so maybe that's why he feels his precious vroom vrooms are threatened?

Though I kinda doubt Payne is intelligent enough to actually be aware of things happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Please don't.

Make sure the VA remains funded, work towards addressing mental health issues, PTSD, and transition after ETS. These thank yous are as effective as 'thoughts and prayers' and they don't want thanks.

• Locked thread