Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsqD9Yof2Js

Was emo just a social reflection of the dying middle class?

Does life suck so much its easier just to down a bottle of pills?

Can we really say life was worse than a the life of a ww2 vet or vietnam draftee during their lifetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
societal apoptosis

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
mouse

utopia

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
wwatching pbs news hour makes me wanna kill myself

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Magius1337est posted:

Can we really say life was worse than a the life of a ww2 vet or vietnam draftee during their lifetime?
That isn't why people commit suicide.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

Those guys at least had the hope of living a decent uneventful life or maybe making it big

Nowadays everyone knows the systems rigged, everyone's aware they're comparatively poorer than their parents, there's no wild frontier to discover, just rich assholes on instagram taking selfies while hanggliding that somehow show up in your feeds

We're all waiting for societal collapse, global warming, and the handful of politicians globally that actually want to fix things instead of talking about how to achieve maximum dynamic efficiency wrt consolidating server farms

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
they need to just post imo

:justpost:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

The vets from ww2 and Vietnam only killed themselves when they got home and realized the real enemy was here all along

And now the enemy is in our homes and on the TV and in your phone and they've convinced you that you need their poison and it won't stop until you make it stop and there's so many of them and it's easier to just stop you than stop them

Or maybe you just need a cuppa and rub one out who the gently caress knows

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op u know what to do

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Good for them

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
GOOD.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm glad of it

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
which is to not kill yourself

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Our lives may be better in a material sense, but strangely that can be a bad thing. Material deprivation is a cause for struggle, and struggle gives a person purpose. Way too many of us feel no purpose, as the only obstacles in our lives consist of trite bullshit brought about by late stage capitalism. We have plenty of things but nothing to do that anyone cares about, and nothing to overcome other than asinine annoyances created by our own society. And modern media methods and technology have made us painfully aware of this is ways never before possible.

Some stupid rear end in a top hat working a stupid assholes' job in yesteryear could still take pride in himself or from the community just because he's doing his part to "fight communism" or "support the nation" or whatever dumb loving thing was in our heads at the time. But now there is no illusion that the stupid rear end in a top hat working a stupid rear end in a top hat's job is doing it for no other reason than to marginally increase some 1%er's bottom line, when by rights we have the technology and the resources to turn this planet into a paradise. He knows it, we all know it. There is no reason for him to be here, his struggles are pointless and unappreciated.

That's why he kills himself. Ignorance is bliss.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

Our lives may be better in a material sense, but strangely that can be a bad thing. Material deprivation is a cause for struggle, and struggle gives a person purpose. Way too many of us feel no purpose, as the only obstacles in our lives consist of trite bullshit brought about by late stage capitalism. We have plenty of things but nothing to do that anyone cares about, and nothing to overcome other than asinine annoyances created by our own society. And modern media methods and technology have made us painfully aware of this is ways never before possible.

Some stupid rear end in a top hat working a stupid assholes' job in yesteryear could still take pride in himself or from the community just because he's doing his part to "fight communism" or "support the nation" or whatever dumb loving thing was in our heads at the time. But now there is no illusion that the stupid rear end in a top hat working a stupid rear end in a top hat's job is doing it for no other reason than to marginally increase some 1%er's bottom line, when by rights we have the technology and the resources to turn this planet into a paradise. He knows it, we all know it. There is no reason for him to be here, his struggles are pointless and unappreciated.

wow dude, maybe you should drink a beer or something

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
counter point, life was unforgiving for our parents and grand parents and they had to toughen the gently caress up at a much younger age

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Im a total hipster who just wants to live off the grid and subsist... and I may just get that wish in the coming societal collapse. Goon-commune, come on down.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
People back then killed themselves for proper reasons too, nowadays if the wrong person becomes president, gets referred to by the wrong pronoun or sees a mean tweet they cut their wrists.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 16, 2017

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

hrm i have to say reading your post certainly helped me realize why more people are killing themselves

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

Thanks, neoliberalism

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's me, I'm the one causing all the suicides.

Sorry.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Magius1337est posted:

killing yourself is more about not having meaning in life, and about circumstances getting worse than previous and/or not living up to expectations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

let it mellow posted:

wow dude, maybe you should drink a beer or something

I'm way ahead of you I'm an alcoholic.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Ocean Book posted:

killing yourself is more about not having meaning in life, and about circumstances getting worse than previous and/or not living up to expectations.

yeah I guess after making it through a war without getting shot at and dying you'd actually want to keep staying alive rather than killing yourself like a little bitch

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe they kill them selves because life loving sucks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theperminator posted:

People back then killed themselves for proper reasons too, nowadays if the wrong person becomes president, gets referred to by the wrong pronoun or sees a mean tweet they cut their wrists.
Or they get probated and QQ themselves to sleep.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Kids today have the luxury of never being in a fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyonI_COz8&t=199s

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Suicide is painless it brings on many changes

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

No one's happy til they're dead

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Chomp8645 posted:

This is a really surface reading that tells more about you than anything else. Most people do not think like this.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Chomp is just woke

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I envy them OP

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
When people are born, Crom breathes into them the will to strive. What more could be asked?

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Well, personally, I can tell you the wiser I’ve become over the years has been almost directly proportional with my own suicidal ideation.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

theperminator posted:

omg shut the gently caress up about obama already.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ContraBoss posted:

Well, personally, I can tell you the wiser I’ve become over the years has been almost directly proportional with my own suicidal ideation.

so u are saying u have a negative chance of killing urself

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

mouse

pad

grime

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Probably a result of people being told to kill themselves, good thing we have the rule you can’t tell people to kill themselves. It’s probably saved hundreds of lives.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
People in historical times lived lives that were just as satisfying, if not more satisfying, than yours. It's something you have to reckon with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why does someone kill themselves, the real answer is as complex as any answer in this fallen world. The path to an early grave starts with genes, parents, means, childhood friends and bullies, and it ends with mental illness, hopelessness, and a dead end. If only god had reached down to help, but he didn't. Why is that?

• Locked thread