Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ignorant Hick posted:

So I'm currently doing a campaign as the Commonwealth and I'm trying to get the one king to rule achievement. I defeated the event rebels and switched to a despotic monarchy but google tells me I need to be an administrative monarchy to get it. How do I change to that particular government? I see the decisions to change to an oligarch or theocratic one, do I need a particular tech?

It's not a decision. On the Government tab there's a button right next to where it says "Kingdom" that lets you change what type of monarchy you are, depending on technology level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ignorant Hick posted:

So I'm currently doing a campaign as the Commonwealth and I'm trying to get the one king to rule achievement. I defeated the event rebels and switched to a despotic monarchy but google tells me I need to be an administrative monarchy to get it. How do I change to that particular government? I see the decisions to change to an oligarch or theocratic one, do I need a particular tech?

You need 12 admin tech to form an administrative monarchy. It might be bugged achievement, it used to require an absolute monarchy but those were removed from the game a couple patches ago.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Poil posted:

Exchange students? Or the people using boats along your rivers and lakes sign up to also be useful on the sea.

That's a hilarious image, like some guy in Switzerland is all "okay I'm ready, which way to board one of our ocean vessels?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

That's a hilarious image, like some guy in Switzerland is all "okay I'm ready, which way to board one of our ocean vessels?"
I've always wanted to put a Battleship on lake Geneva.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

It's not a decision. On the Government tab there's a button right next to where it says "Kingdom" that lets you change what type of monarchy you are, depending on technology level.

That was it, thanks!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've always wanted to put a Battleship on lake Geneva.
In Red Alert 3 there's a mission with a naval battle there. It involves an aircraft carrier, and submarines.
"As child I always dream of torpedoing dolphin."

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Fuck_Plato.png:

It's a shame the mod seems pretty bare-bones/unfinished outside of the Atlantean thunderdome.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mygna posted:

Fuck_Plato.png:

It's a shame the mod seems pretty bare-bones/unfinished outside of the Atlantean thunderdome.

What is this?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

TorakFade posted:

What is this?

Occultis Orbis Terrestere (recently remade under the name OOT Revival). It's a mod based on the premise that mythological landmasses like Atlantis or Lemuria are actually real.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm Spain in 1530. The Pope just pirated me. I'm France's junior bitch so I can't do poo poo about it.

:psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stop being France's junior bitch then.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy
Things are going pretty well for me in this game I started this week as Granada.

I had a good start where Morocco decided not to ally with Tlemcen. This allowed me to swoop in and take all their territory before Castile inevitably took my Iberian territory. I gave that up without a fight.

As you can kind of see from this image, things didn't go well for Castile after that. The Iberian Wedding event failed to kick in, allowing Aragon and their ally, France, to slowly dismantle Castile over the course of three wars.

In the height of these pan-Iberian Wars, my ally Morocco decided to take the offensive, and declared war on Portugal, who had already had their army eliminated by the Aragon/France alliance. During the second such Portugal-Morocco Wars (in which Morocco took Beja and Madeira), I was able to swoop in and take Portugal's colony in Arguin on the Northwest African coast. This allowed me to setup my own colony in Brazil.

So things are going well. I'm planning to move my capital to the New World once Sergipe becomes self-sufficient, or maybe after building one or two more colonies, and then growing in the New World until I can sail back across the Atlantic and retake Al-Andalus, nabbing that achievement. Aragon and France are now enemies, eliminating any supreme power block that may have stood up against me in the future. Portugal and Castile are rump states, taking away two of my major enemies in the colonial sphere, and somehow Scotland has kicked in England's teeth, allowing me even more free range.

My question is, will the update next week affect my ability to get the Al-Andalus achievement? I will have to revert back to an older update in order to keep playing, and it would suck if achievements became locked for me because of that.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Reverting to the previous patch does not prevent you from getting achievements. You would only be locked out of achievements introduced after that patch.

I definitely recommend establishing 4 provinces in Brazil before moving to the new world. With only one province you'll really struggle to afford to keep colonizing.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
That's a really cool playthrough.

Fister Roboto posted:

Stop being France's junior bitch then.

Our joint king is actually fantastic (5/5/5 and Benevolent) and right now I'm focused on colonizing the new world and building my economy, so for the time being I'm fine with this arrangement. His heir is decidedly more average though, so I'll be rebelling when they take the throne. I just wish the Papal Pirates would knock it off. I guess they fly the miter and scepters?

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 9, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Doubleposting w/e

What determines if a colonial nation 'absorbs' colonies? Specific example:

I colonized western Cuba, Santo Domingo, Puerto Rico and Curacao, then the colonial nation of Cuba formed, which includes all of those territories. I was still in the process of colonizing Azua adjacent to Santo Domingo at that time; once it finished, it was automatically handed off to Cuba.

I started colonizing in Columbia, specifically Maracaibo, Altagracia, and Coro. Now, this is in a different 'colonial region', but that didn't stop Cuba from claiming Curacao. Will they absorb these too when they're done? Or will I need to found 5 more colonies in the region to form another colonial nation?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Check the colonial region map mode, it will show you which provinces belong to each of the colonial regions. If you have a colonial nation in a colonial region, then any colonies you finish in that region will get added to the colonial nation.

That's it

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ohh, colonial and trade regions don't always line up even with the same name. Thanks!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Speaking of, I'd be interested in seeing what experienced people have their map filter shortcuts set to.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Speaking of, I'd be interested in seeing what experienced people have their map filter shortcuts set to.

code:
Q: Political
W: Trade 
E: Diplomatic 
R: Simple terrain
T: Trade goods, Development
Y: Forts, Devastation
U: Cultures, Accepted cultures
I: Areas, Regions
O: Unrest, Coalition
P: Religious, HRE
I keep the first four isolated cause they're the important ones and I don't like having to toggle between stuff on those. Everything else is pretty self explanatory, I could probably unbind the development and HRE at the very least and get something more useful but :effort:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I use a very "pro" setup like this:

code:
Q: Terrain
W: Political
E: Trade
R: Diplomatic
T: Religious
Y: Institutions
U: Culture
I: Unrest
O: States & Territories
P: Estates
The five are the default, I think, and the others are the ones I use the most. That's all there is to it.

Shiba are morons. They had swallowed up almost all of Japan with only one other vassal remaining, who were allied with them, when they declared an independence war against the shogun but for some reason they just gave up and settled for white peace. It let me snipe a couple of provinces with no problem and in their second war for freedom I was able to take two more and this time they actually managed to click the correct button in the peace deal and get free. And then I vassalized the former Shogun when the truce ended. Suck it, you're never uniting Japan now you baka butts. You can cry and complain as much as you like but you can't touch me with the monarch point draining overpowered broken monster with unlimited manpower, money and mercs next door protecting me from any wars.

Playing as Korea, again, despite that I could just have gone with a second Ainu run but it would probably have been too easy. Nice and relaxing though.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 10, 2017

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is just after I got the Holy Trinity achievement, it was a fun run but I got a bit lucky. First of all, Austria and France didn't rival each other so I allied them both so I could join the HRE and use France to get Naples out of it's PU for more convenient annexing. Then I took Venice and Crete from Venice, vassalized the Knights, used Crete to fabricate on the Mamluks and waited until the inevitable Ottoman war so I could grab Papal Palestine while the Mamluks where down. After that I had to no-cb Denmark because they ate the Livonian Order and since you can't release them directly and they were well outside my coring range, I had to no-cb Riga, vassalize them, grab some Livonian cores and return the provinces instead. Finally, the Teutonic Order in my game had blobbed and ate most of Poland and Lithuania so I had to cut them down in a couple of no-cb wars as well.

France is getting wrecked by Great Brittain and Russia because I dishonored the call to war. I was too busy doing the above and I might finish this run with eating Mantua, who are allied to France as well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
code:
Q: Terrain / simple terrain
W: Political
E: Trade / trade goods
R: Autonomy / colonial range
T: Religious
Y: Diplomatic
U: Coalition / opinion
I: Estates
O: Areas / regions
P: Edicts / development
Terrain is the first one because that was the default and I had it like that for so long that it looks odd to me if it's any different. Other than that I change them around a bit depending on what campaign I'm doing, with the one rule that political is always the only one in its group.

There was something I was using on the toggle with areas for a long time that was really useful but I'm totally forgetting what it was now, drat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

q - fort level / loot
w - political / states
e - trade - trade goods / trade value
r - diplomatic / opinion
t - religious
y - unrest / rebel types
u - coalition
i - colonial / colonial regions
o - development
p - terrain / simple terrain / areas / regions

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I got a new keyboard and can't use the arrow keys to pan while still being able to stretch my pinky far enough to tap the space bar to pause. I just use wasd to pan now and click on the mapmodes like I always have. :shrug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The thought of using any keyboard shortcuts at all in EU seems incredibly weird to me, not sure why. Except the pause button.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

maybe if you're doing like multiplayer and like can't pause

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

RabidWeasel posted:

The thought of using any keyboard shortcuts at all in EU seems incredibly weird to me, not sure why. Except the pause button.

1300 hours played and I didn't even know that those buttons had shortcuts. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I randomly got a message saying that the HRE had collapsed due to a lack of eligible nations to become emperor, and then a few decades later the fog lifted:

Looks like France and Castile got devoured.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what's the religious situation

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Let's see... Pretty much everyone north of Austria, Milan and Savoy are protestant. Welp.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm playing as France for the first time and I'm finding myself a little aimless right now.

50 or so years in, and this is the situation. I've just finished my 4th war with England, still unable to push them off the mainland. I had a royal marriage with Scotland that ended up putting them in a personal union under me. Burgundy's duke died and I inherited all of his counties, which was awesome - I didn't even know that could happen. Castille and I are fast friends, although they are allied with Provence - in addition, England is guaranteeing Provence's independence.

My biggest problem is Scotland right now. During peace, I've ferried armies up to Scotland to invade England from the north while I attack their mainland possessions, but once the war starts - that's it. I can't get reinforcements to them because I can't possibly match England's fleet. In the last war their fleet was way down south by Portugal and I thought I had enough time to ferry a stack of troops across the English Channel. Nope - the English fleet came up and sank my transports along with all my soldiers.

So if I get into a war with England, I need to split my army to protect Scotland, right? If they siege down Scotland that'll put my warscore in the shitter, or at least that's the impression I'm under. I know my army can take theirs in a head to head fight, but if they don't leave their stupid island, I can't do poo poo and they can just keep reinforcing their troops.

Anyway, I'm just trying to stave off an English invasion of Scotland long enough to integrate them and then I can have a Scottish self-reinforcing army. I thought maybe I could just release them and forget about it, but I guess that's not an option? I can't find any diplomatic trigger to pull that would unhook this anchor from me.

Dammit, I just want to start invading Savoy and go into Italy and the specter of England running roughshod over the Scots keeps me second guessing myself.

Art of War and Common Sense are the only two DLC's I have if that matters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lucas Archer posted:

I'm playing as France for the first time and I'm finding myself a little aimless right now.

50 or so years in, and this is the situation. I've just finished my 4th war with England, still unable to push them off the mainland. I had a royal marriage with Scotland that ended up putting them in a personal union under me. Burgundy's duke died and I inherited all of his counties, which was awesome - I didn't even know that could happen. Castille and I are fast friends, although they are allied with Provence - in addition, England is guaranteeing Provence's independence.

My biggest problem is Scotland right now. During peace, I've ferried armies up to Scotland to invade England from the north while I attack their mainland possessions, but once the war starts - that's it. I can't get reinforcements to them because I can't possibly match England's fleet. In the last war their fleet was way down south by Portugal and I thought I had enough time to ferry a stack of troops across the English Channel. Nope - the English fleet came up and sank my transports along with all my soldiers.

So if I get into a war with England, I need to split my army to protect Scotland, right? If they siege down Scotland that'll put my warscore in the shitter, or at least that's the impression I'm under. I know my army can take theirs in a head to head fight, but if they don't leave their stupid island, I can't do poo poo and they can just keep reinforcing their troops.

Anyway, I'm just trying to stave off an English invasion of Scotland long enough to integrate them and then I can have a Scottish self-reinforcing army. I thought maybe I could just release them and forget about it, but I guess that's not an option? I can't find any diplomatic trigger to pull that would unhook this anchor from me.

Dammit, I just want to start invading Savoy and go into Italy and the specter of England running roughshod over the Scots keeps me second guessing myself.

Art of War and Common Sense are the only two DLC's I have if that matters.

I say fortify the area around their Breton province so they can't just go marching all the way around France, move all your troops to Scotland, then declare war and bum rush London. With a 100% spy network you should get pretty fast sieges and have no trouble occupying all of England. If they occupy a bit of France, oh well, you still ought to come out well on top.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

skasion posted:

I say fortify the area around their Breton province so they can't just go marching all the way around France, move all your troops to Scotland, then declare war and bum rush London. With a 100% spy network you should get pretty fast sieges and have no trouble occupying all of England. If they occupy a bit of France, oh well, you still ought to come out well on top.

I had no idea that spy networks increased siege speed. That changes my strategy. Awesome, thanks.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Lucas Archer posted:

I had no idea that spy networks increased siege speed. That changes my strategy. Awesome, thanks.

I think that's an expansion feature, Mare Nostrum. Still sound advice though.

You'll have a pretty easy time training mercs if England manages to land a significant army on the mainland. Don't be afraid to go into debt if it means a significant win over England, taking some of their English Channel trade power will pay off in the long term.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

As a note, the AI will generally prioritize defending its capital over attacking your lands in my experience, so you may very well just be able to keep the whole war confined to Britain. Definitely try to take their forts in Northumberland and Marches as quickly as possible so you can have the run of the place and try to wipe their armies. Also keep your fleet in Lothian and creep it south as you're able. The AI isn't so great at making sure to keep blockades going, and you'll usually have some opportunities to sneak it out to help out a siege for a few ticks.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I thought I understood coring mechanics but why the hell can I core anything here

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I thought I understood coring mechanics but why the hell can I core anything here

Do you have a dependency with whoever owns Rzhev? IIRC you can core anything adjacent to a vassal core.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Eldred posted:

Do you have a dependency with whoever owns Rzhev? IIRC you can core anything adjacent to a vassal core.

Tver has a core on Rzhev at the start actually so that's it, I didn't know you could core through cores you don't own.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Once the cores finish you will be able to core the other three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, according to Reman, the strike against his Protestant video was contested and they rebuffed him anyway, and now he has a strike against his account for three months over an overzealous DUP member.

:v:

So he made a video about Austria that brings it right back up again at a couple points :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lOqxSa-oLY

It's a good vid though.

• Locked thread