Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There is absolutely a weird rear end escape room/year-round haunted house/whatever next door. Along with an Indian buffet that's actually pretty good and an ancient neighborhood bar that probably gets more traffic than the K-Mart.

Agreed on the Indian place. I used to get lunch at the Maguffy's a few years ago until they let go their lunch cook. They failed a health inspection a couple years ago.

That K-Mart really is amazing in how decrepit it is.

The reason I used to get lunch at 'guff's is I used to work walking distance away at a turbo-lovely telemarketing company that basically re-sold Google Adwords to realtors (and constantly operated under shifting DBAs and corporate name changes to duck the bad reviews that would pile up). The owners basically spent the company into the ground and they wound up having to lay off their entire Beaverton staff so they wouldn't go bankrupt. Last I heard they owed a shitload of back taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Motherfucking FedEx. I live on the third floor of my apartment building and there have been so many occasions where it's just left at the entrance to the building, or in my doorway, and it's not like they couldn't just take it to the office and leave the tag like you know, everyone else. I mean it's not like anyone could walk into the building with 64 apartments in it and just scoop it up.

:agreed:

Canada Post is my favourite shipper. I can walk to the post office in minutes, as opposed to going to some warehouse in Leslieville which is inconvenient to get to and has short hours, plus Canada Post is way cheaper. The only time I used Fedex was because I had to.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Iron Crowned posted:

:yossame:

I hate how spotty it is. Sometimes I just get that it was picked up and delivered, other times, coming from the exact same place, I get a detailed list of everywhere it was along the trip.

I'm a mail carrier and I can somewhat speak to this. The USPS has always been a step behind technology wise due to budget concerns, it being an enormous government agency and all. The scanners we have now are the same scanners UPS was using a decade ago, and they're giant pieces of poo poo. It's getting better, but really, the main advantage the USPS has over its competitors is its built in delivery system.

Also, and I don't know this for a fact, but I understand that FedEx delivery people are paid per day, while mail carriers are paid per hour, meaning your average carrier is taking their sweet sweet time delivering your poo poo, and not sprinting from place to place.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Haifisch posted:

Basically give me that system but for anything I buy online using any shipping company, and you've obliterated my(and probably a lot of other people's) biggest obstacle to buying most of my/their stuff online.

Isn't this just a PO box? I've never had one so I don't know exactly how they work, though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Canada Post and USPS have never, ever given me problems except for the two times a year a package gets sent to the other person with my name in Canada on the other coast... I can track it going to BC and then back to me.

That's usually still faster than private carriers send stuff.

When I used eBay more often, I'd have to fight with sellers to use USPS. It was cheaper for me and all they had to do was go to the post office. It blew my mind how many Americans would refuse to use their amazingly postal system and maybe sell to someone else in the future, maybe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've had way more issues with FedEx/UPS (which I rarely use) than USPS overall.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ofecks posted:

Isn't this just a PO box? I've never had one so I don't know exactly how they work, though.
IIRC, you can't have Fedex and UPS ship to a PO box.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nah, I think that's one of their "things". It's hit-or-miss on campus, based on my experience.

Public > Private

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Professor Shark posted:

Nah, I think that's one of their "things".
Huh, so it is.

And it's only $7.50/mo. Well poo poo, now I'm tempted.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Haifisch posted:

Huh, so it is.

And it's only $7.50/mo. Well poo poo, now I'm tempted.

The UPS store will accept all types of deliveries if you have a mailbox there and usually has much better hours than a post office, but it's not $7.50/month. Sadly my local one is closing down in 5 days so I ended up not renewing it this month (almost back on topic).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fordan posted:

(almost back on topic)
I think anyone with even an inkling of political acumen would argue that the USPS is always on-topic :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think anyone with even an inkling of political acumen would argue that the USPS is always on-topic :(

Well I mean this topic is more for failing companies more than companies being murdered for political reasons.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I have a USPS package that was delivered about a month ago but the tracking number still says it's on its way, and the last entry says tendered to a military agent :wtf:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

McPhearson posted:

I have a USPS package that was delivered about a month ago but the tracking number still says it's on its way, and the last entry says tendered to a military agent :wtf:

What did you order?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Canada Post and USPS have never, ever given me problems except for the two times a year a package gets sent to the other person with my name in Canada on the other coast... I can track it going to BC and then back to me.

I really feel for USPS staff nowadays though. They must have gone through some kind of budget changes after the pension thing hosed them, because now I see mail trucks driving at all goddamn hours. Like, I'm coming back from a jobsite at 11 PM and there's a regular USPS mail truck still doing its rounds, sometimes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Same, but trading it for a quarter sack of weed. :negative:
Assuming you otherwise would have kept it until last year, condolences on your $38000 bag of weed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GWBBQ posted:

Assuming you otherwise would have kept it until last year, condolences on your $38000 bag of weed.

:randstare:

god drat it. It was probably worth a quarter sack at the time. :smithicide:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I really feel for USPS staff nowadays though. They must have gone through some kind of budget changes after the pension thing hosed them, because now I see mail trucks driving at all goddamn hours. Like, I'm coming back from a jobsite at 11 PM and there's a regular USPS mail truck still doing its rounds, sometimes.

They do the final mile drop offs for UPS.

It's weird, because a few years ago they were looking at cutting Saturday service and now I have postal workers dropping off Sunday packages for Amazon. I imagine it's a Godsend for the USPS and helps keep their staffing levels up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m pretty sure USPS was able to crawl out of that hole that the Republicans dug w the pension thing. It was an “oh poo poo” situation but forced them to innovate, etc, and got people back into using them. I know I’ll never ship via FedEx or UPS unless I have no other choice.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Volcott posted:

What did you order?

It was a DVI cable and some display port to DVI adapters. The thing is it was successfully delivered, but the tracking info says it was given to the military and is still on the way. shouldn't they have a system that flags errors like something that's been in transit for a month after the delivery date?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

McPhearson posted:

It was a DVI cable and some display port to DVI adapters. The thing is it was successfully delivered, but the tracking info says it was given to the military and is still on the way. shouldn't they have a system that flags errors like something that's been in transit for a month after the delivery date?

It's actually the NSA, putting a logging chip in! :tinfoil:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boywhiz88 posted:

. It was an “oh poo poo” situation but forced them to innovate, etc, and got people back into using them.
There's plenty of things the USPS could do to expand its usefulness but it's hamstrung by a bunch of punitive regulations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m pretty sure USPS was able to crawl out of that hole that the Republicans dug w the pension thing. It was an “oh poo poo” situation but forced them to innovate, etc, and got people back into using them. I know I’ll never ship via FedEx or UPS unless I have no other choice.

This kind of implies that the USPS had to be pushed into advancing, which really isn't true. USPS wanted to put in print and copy facilities, and they wanted to create a platform for online bill pay. Congress refused to let them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

This kind of implies that the USPS had to be pushed into advancing, which really isn't true. USPS wanted to put in print and copy facilities, and they wanted to create a platform for online bill pay. Congress refused to let them.

But because of Congress, the USPS has the best funded pension plan of all time.

Postal workers should be thanking their Congressional representative.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Flat rate boxes are awesome and convenient. Board game box plus eBay-managed international shipping for is a great way to ship 1U/9" deep rack mounted audio gear and beats the hell out of other carriers for the weight

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
USPS is by far the most efficient way for me to get things from hawaii back to the mainland. Those flat rate shipping boxes are a godsend.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

there wolf posted:

I actually worked with them on an idea of a digital signature service. It fizzled

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

But because of Congress, the USPS has the best funded pension plan of all time.

Postal workers should be thanking their Congressional representative.
This is retarded.

That something positive came out of a blatant attempt to hobble the organization isnt praiseworthy you muppet

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

FilthyImp posted:

This is retarded.

That something positive came out of a blatant attempt to hobble the organization isnt praiseworthy you muppet

It's joke.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

fordan posted:

The UPS store will accept all types of deliveries if you have a mailbox there and usually has much better hours than a post office, but it's not $7.50/month. Sadly my local one is closing down in 5 days so I ended up not renewing it this month (almost back on topic).

My post office puts packages in lockers and then puts the key in your PO Box. Lobby is open 24 hours, I can grab my boxes at any time.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

McPhearson posted:

Tracking numbers are re-used, all the courier companies do this. There is supposed to be a fallow period after delivery, but it's up the company originating the product to manage that, not the courier company, so you can end up with numbers coming up again right away.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I seem to have the least trouble with FedEx. In the last month my girlfriend had an expensive handbag disappear after being scanned at a USPS. The seller made that one right.

UPS can never seem to find my apartment door. There's 3 apartments in my building and mine isnt directly on the front of the house so my stuff gets dumped at my neighbor's door or sent back. A few weeks ago they dumped a game console on the wrong doorstep. Pretty sure it was supposed to be signed for too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mustached Demon posted:

Buy her an account and point her towards A/T.

ladron posted:

goddamn, get some stories out of her

Oh she's a longtime goon and has posted quite often in some retail thread or other!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I was recently surprised by getting a package via USPS on Sunday.

So yeah. they did take it in the butt to stay afloat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Fun fact, that's technically a reversal of policy!

...but Sunday delivery stopped in 1912 so it's not like anyone living now actually remembers getting mail on a Sunday.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

GWBBQ posted:

Flat rate boxes are awesome and convenient. Board game box plus eBay-managed international shipping for is a great way to ship 1U/9" deep rack mounted audio gear and beats the hell out of other carriers for the weight

I did a holiday term throwing packages for the post office (that's just a colloquial term, they're forbidden from actually throwing packages (they totally throw packages)) and Flat Rate boxes were hell itself. Any company that makes small metal parts (screws, hinges, bullets, etc) packs the smallest box to the 70lb limit and sends it off to sow misery all the way to its destination.

Also IIRC, USPS Sunday delivery is still limited to the holiday season for general packages and Amazon year-round. It's not full delivery.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Nov 13, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm watching Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and their truly horrifying live action SpongeBob skit and wondering how long Macy's will be around for.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm watching Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and their truly horrifying live action SpongeBob skit and wondering how long Macy's will be around for.

I've been wondering how much longer they were going to do a parade for the past 20 so years. I thought it was just a thing for olds for whom moving objects in the sky were still kinda cool. Why are you watching it?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm watching my two (adorable) nieces aged 2 and 5 and they wanted to see Santa Claus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ladron posted:

I've been wondering how much longer they were going to do a parade for the past 20 so years. I thought it was just a thing for olds for whom moving objects in the sky were still kinda cool. Why are you watching it?

:goonsay: